Cover Image: How to Sous Vide

How to Sous Vide

I admit it. I have a sous vide machine and I can count on one hand the number of times I've used it over the years.  It'll take an awful lot of coaxing to convince me it's worth letting chicken breasts take nearly 2 hours to cook.  So I definitely went into reading this cookbook with a critical eye.  And lo-and-behold, the very first recipe is for chicken breasts.  They probably taste amazing but I'll never know if I'm being completely honest.  I have my own tried and true chicken breast recipe that takes 20 minutes or less (depending on how long it takes my oven to get to temp) so we're not going to play that game.  However, tougher cuts of meat really do catch my eye here because I find they really benefit from the sous vide approach.  The Korean-style short ribs look delicious.  I can't wait to try a lamb recipe.  But again - I'm not planning on sous vide-ing fish or veggies anytime soon.  Overall, the book is beautiful, the basics are thoroughly covered, the recipes are upscale and dinner party worthy.  Whether you'll get a lot of use out of it?  Depends on the kind of time you have,
Really loved the recipes provided in this book but was sad to see how incomplete it actually was when I saw the amount listed in the Index section! There were a bunch of recipes I wish had been included in this test copy. With that said, there are a bunch of great, easy-to-make recipes in here.

I also love how most of the recipes are completed in just a few steps and don't require too much prep work. You're given the basics, and then you're provided with a couple more steps to take each recipe and make it into a whole meal. Super helpful to get different variations too so you can mix and match sous vide veggies with meats and so on. With that said, it's all pretty basic so a great 101 book for people new to sous vide cooking. The photography also all look appetizing and are beautifully lit!
This is just what it says it is, a beginners guide to sous vide and it does cover all the basics, from what bags to use to things that you really don't need. I do like that super fancy equipment isn't suggested. Super simple, basic forms from zip-top bags to a cheaper sous vide circulator works just as well as their higher end counterparts. This makes sous vide more approachable for everyone.
Lots of pictures which are always a plus for me, but the recipes were just a bit underwhelming. I'm not sure if that has to do with the fact that I've been cooking sous vide for a few years now, or because they were just underwhelming. I do like that veggies are included as meat seems to come to mind first when using this cooking method, but I do wish there were more of them.
Another plus, is that you have a very basic recipe that then gets expanded on to make a meal. The basics are also really adaptable to change flavor profiles too.
Lots of good information if you're willing to read it all.
I really enjoyed this cookbook. We have only tried one recipe so far but I am looking forward to many more.
I like that there are so many categories in this book and I appreciate the time taken to curate these recipes.
There is good instructions as well into using the sous vide machine, whichever you have.
This was a great book on sous vide, love the cover, and my interest made me grab it! Apt title as the book takes on a simplistic approach to a style of cooking thought best left to professionals.

What did I like? I like the simple approach and this book made sous vide easy to understand and broke it down to laymen’s terms. I’ve read other books on the subject and truly liked this approach. The only thing that really puzzled me is why you would sous vide bacon if it takes eight hours. I mean I’m all for trying but some just seem to take a long while. The recipes looked amazing and I can’t wait to try them.

Would I recommend or buy? Yes I want a copy! If you like to cook then trialing this to make meals easier seems a no brainer. I really enjoyed the pictures and the easy directions.

I received a complimentary copy to read and voluntarily left a review!
This is a good recipe book that introduces you to and explores sous vide cooking. I love our sous vide but we mostly do meats and eggs. This book gives tons of recipes and variations on proteins to mix up your meals. There are some extra tips and other recipes included as well. Some parts seemed to be very wordy, but if you’re really looking into doing more with your sous vide then it may be more beneficial. If you’re new to sous vide it’s a good book to check out. However, I may be too far set in my ways to branch out! I voluntarily reviewed this after receiving a free copy.
We love to use our sous vide and this book gives you lots of new recipe ideas! In addition to a sous vide item there are lots of other ideas for making it a complete meal.

The pictures look delicious and and each recipe is laid out in a easy to follow step-by-step manner. The beginning features a lesson how to use your sous vide and other items you may want to have on hand to make the cooking easier.

Excited to try some of these recipes, especially the desserts and coffee, as we already make a lot of different meats with ours.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
I like the layout of this book. It is divided up into different meats, eggs, vegetables, and desserts, with a beginning on sous vide basics and an ending of general times and temperatures. I wasn't really sure what sous vide was, but now I know I've known all along and just didn't know what it was actually called! This seems like a great tool to use when meal prepping, so that meals are much easier to prepare ahead of time without the fear of it going bad in the fridge or freezer. There are some great recipes in here that I will definitely try if I ever get the vacuum-seal bags.
How to Sous Vide is an amazing book for people learning how to sous vide while being entertaining enough for people who have been using this technique for years.  My favorite thing to make using sous vide is steak (it is always cooked to the perfect temperature), but I wanted to have some other options so I jumped at the chance to preview this book.  The writing is educational and humorous - I really didn't need to read the basics section since I've been using this method for several years, but I was surprised by the wit tossed in when I glanced through it and went back and read the whole thing.  The yellow section on "Wash Your Produce!" that ends with "dirt is dirt, raw or cooked" is what drew me in (there are better ones in the text, I promise). After the explanation of what sous vide is, materials needed, tips, safety, etc., there are specific recipes.  While there are general recipes, making it a good resource for novices, there are also several suggestions for making it your own.  There are also several recipes for eggs, vegetables, and desserts.  Creme brûlée is one of the recipes (with variations) and who wouldn't be excited to get to use a torch? I've planned to make the miso rice bowls with roasted cauliflower and poached eggs next week, although I will be substituting eggplant for the cauliflower.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy in exchange for a review.
This book was not ready for review.  Based on the index, more than a hundred pages are missing, and there are placeholder boxes of gibberish text.  There's a snide edge to some of the comments, like the assumption that anyone with a sous vide should already have a culinary blow torch, and the logic behind some of the recipes is puzzling.  Why sous vide scallops and then brown them in a skillet?  It seems like basic scallops with extra steps so it qualifies as a sous vide recipe.

Some of the recipes are interesting but perhaps less than practical/useful.  The cook-ahead bacon that can be crisped on demand sounds good, but may be more practical for a restaurant instead of a home cook.  The "poached" eggs are actually just soft-boiled eggs.  You have to read the recipe through to realize that you put the raw eggs in the water unbroken.  Vegetable cooking sounds much more difficult in the sous vide, although the results were well-described and enticing.  The ramekin technique of weighting the bag was not well explained.

I think there is promise in the recipe selection and the idea.  I was interested in the guidance to pasteurize eggs, and the recipe for the resulting mayonnaise.

I was very disappointed that the section on candy was omitted, as chocolate tempering is one of the areas where my sous vide really shines.  I have been looking for a great sous vide cookbook, one that led me through the uses of this tool and warned me about potential dangers, and I had high hopes for this book.  Perhaps when it is finished, it will get there.

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Date reviewed/posted: June 2,  2021
Publication date: September 7, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. Plus it is hot as all heck and nothing is more appealing than sitting in front of a fan with a kindle.!

Dan Shumski's at it again! The author of <i>How to Instant Pot</i> takes his expertise decoding a complicated piece of equipment to the sous vide machine! Here's an accessible, thorough, rigorously tested guide to sous vide for the average home cook, with clear instructions on using the equipment, finishing the food once it’s been sous vided (e.g., techniques like grilling and reverse searing), and 100 easy, delicious recipes that offer the basics for sous vide-ing everything from chicken to salmon (even eggs and octopus!), and ingenious dishes featuring the results.

Once used only by professional chefs, sous vide—a technique in which food is sealed in a bag and then cooked in a bath of warm, circulating water—is now taking off with home cooks. The reason is simple—you can pick up a top-rated circulator (the device needed to cook sous vide) for about a hundred bucks, and in no time start enjoying perfectly cooked steaks, custardy eggs, vegetables at the peak of flavour and bite, and more.

But you will need help, which is where Daniel Shumski comes in. Just as he tamed the once intimidating pressure-cooker-on-steroids in his bestselling How to Instant Pot, Shumski now offers How to Sous Vide, a friendly, rigorously tested guide that demystifies cooking sous vide at home. First, Shumski gives readers all the knowledge they need to start—how to use the circulator, set up a water bath, seal food inside the bag, and dial in precise cooking times and temperatures for every ingredient. Following are delicious, inventive recipes, plus amazing hacks (how to sous vide cold-brew coffee!), that take full advantage of this revolutionary technique: Carnitas-Style Pork Shoulder, Miso-Butter Carrots, Chili-Garlic Shrimp—even incredible desserts cooked in a jar, like Berry-Chocolate Cheesecake and Salted Dulce de Leche. And suddenly you’re cooking at a whole new level.

Mr Shumski writes some amazing cookbooks - will I ever sous-vide something? Before I would have said no, but with this book, yes.  The instructions are well written and clear and concise and the recipes are well written and understandable by cooks of all levels and the photos make the food very appealing to myself and other lovers of food out there.  My Instantpot has a sous-vide setting but I was afraid to try and use it - now I am not.

I especially love the book because it uses mostly whole ingredients instead of pre-prepared and packaged foods. I do draw the line at making my own cheese beyond a quickly-made mozzarella, and canning tomatoes but the more "ingredients" you use the better.  My one nephew says that I never have any food in my house, only ingredients --- that is why I cook so much. I also refuse to eat or cook with Frankenfoods such as "chick'n" and its 88 ingredients vs. 🐔chicken🐔 having one and cheese that does not come from an animal is udder nonsense!)

I will recommend this book to friends, family, patrons, book clubs, and people reading books in the park as we do … I have had some of my best conversations about books down by the Thames!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍲🍲🍲🍲🍲