Cover Image: A Light in the Window

A Light in the Window

What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive. That sums up the Huber family, sworn Nazis, during WWII. Herr Huber and his two sons serve in the SS.
They treat Margarete like a slave instead of a maid because she’s Jewish. Eldest son Reiner delights in raping her despite laws against such association with “subhumans.” When the parents and their awful daughter Annegret die in a Berlin bombing, Margarete takes Annegret’s papers and assumes her identity. She moves to Liepzig, but “brother” Wilhelm finds her, and recognizes her.
He goes along with her ruse in exchange for her serving as his maid in Paris. His brother’s licentious behavior disgusts him, but he enjoys carousing with women. Until Margarete rouses his interest. If their ruse is discovered, both will be in serious trouble.
The way German men didn’t treat their wives well, believing they were only there to served them, is appalling. Their attitude toward the occupied countries is revolting: how the French should have recognized German superiority and be ever so grateful to them for taking over and making them efficient.
The ending is quite unexpected. I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
I absolutely loved the premise of A Light in the Window. The story is set during WW2. After the Jewish girl, Margaret is presented with an opportunity to take on the identity of a German girl in order to escape deportation an entire wheel of events is set in motion.

After a few turns, Margaret ends up in Paris still pretending to be someone she is not. Instead of freedom though she finds herself trapped and faces an impossible moral dilemma of love, life and death.

"Was one person's life worth more than another one's? And who got to decide which person was allowed to live?"

The author paints a very realistic picture of Nazi Germany and also of Paris during the time of German occupation. While I could transport myself right to the places described I often struggled to relate to the characters. I'm not sure why that was. With all the things that happened to and around Margaret and all the strong emotions displayed by the various characters, I would have expected to be more emotionally involved but I just couldn't establish a stable emotional connection.
Marion's characters make you question humanity during times of war --internal conflicts of ethics, morality, survival instincts that are necessary, and the duplicitous nature of loving someone society is telling you not to.

Reading this reminded me of one of my favorite movies, Pretty Woman, if it was set in WWII Germany and I am so excited for the rest of this series!
A wonderful, wonderful addition to the ever-growing genre of WWII fiction. I have never read this author, but the premise sounded interesting,  so I requested it. I didn't expect much, but I was blown away by this book. I couldn't put it down. I ignored everything and everyone until I finished it. The author did a great job with making me feel as if I were truly in occupied Paris,  and I really cared for the characters. Overall, this was a gem and a great find and I'm so glad I took a chance on this book.
Margarete Rosenbaum is a young Jewish girl working as a housemaid in Berlin during 1941. When the house she works in is bombed and she is the only survivor she takes the drastic decision to take on the identity of the daughter of the family she works for in order to escape and stay alive. Everything about her rushed plan seems to be working until the younger son Wilhelm starts looking for his sister and eventually tracks her down. Once again fearful for her life, she is surprised when instead of turning her in, Wilhelm has a proposition for her. She is to continue posing as his sister Annegret so that he can eventually claim her share of the family inheritance. All they have to do is continue to hide this deception from Wilhelm’s elder brother.
Margarete is continually battling her conscience between saving her own life by taking on the identity of Annegret and feeling like she is betraying her own faith and people. She is fighting to stay alive but is also fighting against embracing the person she must become in order to do that as she sees it as the ultimate betrayal to all the Jewish people that are suffering at the hands of the German army. You can’t help but feel for Margarete as she is forced to compile a list of people who are requesting books that have been banned by Germany, knowing that by doing so she could be sentencing these people to a terrible fate. What is worse she is developing feelings for Wilhelm, someone who should be her sworn enemy. Ultimately those that she considers her friends are the ones that truly put her in harms way and give her the biggest test of her life
The biggest change of character is most definitely in Wilhelm. At the start he is the ultimate spoilt second son of an important family but as his circumstances change and he has to adapt his life you do see him questioning what he is doing, and he starts to get the feeling that he wants to protect Margarete no matter what the cost to him especially as the deception they are both trying to pull off gets complicated
Having loved a previous book by Marion Kummerow I was well aware that this author writes stories that will draw out every kind of emotion in her readers. Even though these books are fiction there is always true events threading throughout that highlight the trauma’s that many victims in WW2 had to endure and you get the sense that little by little you are getting a deeper picture of the true cost of the war.
There is a hint at the end of the book that this is the first in a series and I for one look forward to learning more of the fate of Margarete and if she ever gets to take back her true identity
I have complicated feelings towards this book.

It sounded amazing and intriguing and the plot was a fascinating idea. I'm just not sure if I liked how it was executed. The story follows Margarete a young Jewish woman in WW2 who takes the identity of her employer's dead Nazi daughter to avoid prosecution and her relationship/connection with the son of the same family who is also an SS member.

This novel deals with some heavy and complicated topics and ideas and I knew that going into it, I wasn't expecting a light read but I was expecting to be at least slightly sympathetic towards the love interest. I despised him, I held out hope that he would change throughout the course of the book and become more sympathetic and less vile and bigoted- he did not. I am of the opinion that just because someone is alive during a historical event and born into a particular side, that does not forgive horrendous personal opinions and morals.

It's a pity that my dislike for Wilhelm colored my enjoyment of this so much because I liked Margarete and was rooting for her and the writing was lovely but I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy this as much as I could have.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed this book, my first by this Author the cover attracted me,but i can see no relation to the Books Title to any of the story, also i appreciate there is a follow up book but the ending i felt was so rushed i was very disappointed
I love those books that REALLY make you think! It’s not just a story. It’s a moral compass check-in point or calibration.

I can always count on Marion Kummerow to pen a compelling historical fiction novel that grabs my attention, holds it and rewards me with a plethora of knowledge learned!

This tale centers around a moral dilemma - a philosophical question about whether one human is worth more than another one. Set against the backdrop of Berlin 1941, Margarete Rosenbaum is forced to make some difficult decisions. A Jewish maid in a high-ranking Nazi officer’s home, Margarete discovers that during the bombing she’s the only one in the house to survive. Around her lay the bodies of her boss, his wife and their daughter. Encouraged by the gardener’s son she pulls from the rubble, Margarete swiftly exchanges her coat with the yellow star for Annegret’s coat. Tucked in the pocket is her ticket to freedom – Annegret’s identification papers. In a spur of the moment decision, Margarete Rosenbaum becomes Annegret Huber.

I learned about how the Nazis forbade the Jews from using public libraries, from shaking hands with Aryans, held public book burnings and created lists of books to be burned. I was unaware that the Gestapo had their national headquarters in Leipzig in the national library where they oversaw the banned book business and kept a meticulous record of those who requested banned books. I was in awe when I read that a book from my Grade 9 English curriculum was on the list – All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque!

In addition to the fantastic tension created surrounding the identity switch, the plot is well-paced and the characters well fleshed out. Although the ending might not have been what my heart was aching for, it was representative of the times, and I was pacified with the knowledge that a sequel is in the works.

Interesting to note that the inspiration for the book came from within Kummerow’s own family. Her grandfather fought over the same issue when he planned to assassinate propaganda minister Goebbels. He wondered if saving many would erase his guilt for killing one. You’ll have to read to find out if Margarete is accepting of her situation or if she’s willing to make sacrifices.

Publishes July 20, 2021.

I was gifted this advance copy by Marion Kummerow, Bookouture and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.
The Disguise

How would it feel to impersonate someone else to save your life? Would you be able to carry it out in a room full of people that hate you for your race?

Margarete is a Jewish woman working as a maid for a high ranking Nazi officer. During a bombing raid in Berlin the house is bombed and she assumes the identity of the families daughter Annegret who perished with her parents during the raid and is similar in looks and age.

This is a story of choices she makes while posing as Annegret. There are times when she is happy to be free, times when she fears for her life , a bit of romance and a choice she must make that is the hardest choice she has ever had to make.

This story was heartbreaking and riveting. I was up until wee hours of the morning reading it. It couldn't put it down until I found out what was happening next. I would recommend this book.

Thanks to Marion Kummerow, Bookouture, and NetGalley for allowing me to read a copy for my honest review
In the aftermath of a bombing, survivor Margarete…a Jewish maid…assumes the identity of her fallen boss’ daughter who also died in the blast. It was a hasty decision on her part but she wanted to survive. What was to come was quite the web of lies and storytelling that only gets more complicating when the surviving members of the family want to cash in on their inheritance.

I wanted to like this book so much and the first half definitely had a hold of me but it lost me towards the middle and I was a bit anxious to finish. I felt very little emotion despite everything though several characters were full of rage and hatred. Having read a previous work of the authors and really enjoying it…this one came up just a little short for me.

Thanks to NetGalley, Bookouture and Marion Kummerow for early access to this midsummer release
Margarete makes a split second decision to shed her yellow star and steal the identity of a dead young German woman after a building was bombed in Germany.  As she leads her new life with a stolen identity, many other decisions need to be made on the fly.  The charade of her fake life becomes harder to follow as characters from her past intertwine with her present.

Although A Light in the Window is historical fiction, its quick pace reads like a thriller and will have the reader guessing what Margarete's next move would be.  I was quickly hooked on seeing what would happen next!

I received this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.  All opinions are mine,
Set in Germany in WWII. Margarete a young Jewish girl is housekeeper for a high ranking Nazi family. She wears the yellow star on her clothes and is treated poorly by the family, especially by the daughter Annegret. One night the house is bombed and the entire family dies. Margarete survives and when she climbs out of the rumble she sees Annegret lying crushed in the bombing and notices her identity papers sticking out of her pocket. A decision is made in an instant and she now has to live with the consequences of taking the identity of the German woman and hiding her jewish faith. The sons of the family, SS officers, Willem and Reiner begin the search for their sister. Willem tracks her down but doesn’t disclose her identity. What does he really want and why does he want her to continue to pretend she is his sister. A heartbreaking story of the horrors of war and the strength and desperation of a young woman to do what she has to do to survive.
I enjoyed this novel by Marion Kummerow, very much. A new  author for me, I found the theme to be very original and the characters well developed and interesting.
Margarete is a young Jewish girl, working as a domestic in the home of a high ranking Nazi official, in Berlin. Her family have all been exiled and she fears that when no longer useful, she too will be sent to a camp.
The city is bomb and she survives the blast, but the family are killed, leaving their two sons, one in Paris and the other, in another area with his family.
Margarete finds an opportunity to escape, using the identification papers of the daughter. She flees to another city, hoping to make her way to an aunt in another town.
This is a tale of living day by day to survive, while taking on the identity of a wealthy, spoiled German girl, just the opposite of her. She encounters many obstacles in the attempt to reach her only family member. It demonstrates how courage and grit are needed to live among people that hate you and would kill you, if they discover the truth.
Apparently the author intends to write a sequel and I can’t wait to see what awaits Margarete, as she continues her journey.
My thanks to NetGalley, the author and Bookouture for the ARC. All opinions are my own.
A Light in the Window is interest(my historical fiction. Margarete is put into several untenable situations throughout  the book. She assumes another identity to hide her Jewishness, but that only leads to more trouble and heartache. I thought captured the insidious nature of the Nazis and also the desperation of Margarete. I didn’t like Wilhem at all, even at the end. I certainly had no sympathy for Reiner either. I think readers will find this a different sort of historical fiction, showing the harsh realities Of WWII, where happy endings were in short supply.
Margerete finds herself in the rubble of a bombed house where she worked, albeit unpaid as a maid/housekeeper. This is wartime Germany and Margerete has to wear a yellow star on her jacket to show she is of the Jewish faith. As she crawls through to get out she sees the daughter Annegret of the family she worked for, laying dead with her papers sticking out of her pocket. Margarete takes a chance and the papers and becomes a non jew to protect herself from the atrocities of war. Meanwhile in Paris the son Wilhelm is working for the SS but goes back to Berlin to attend the funeral of his parents with his brother Reiner who is doing his best to work his way up in the SS. Reiner has even named his children Adophina and Germania to try and impress his peers.  Wilhelm learns something about his brother- how he treats women and how he raped their servant but sadly she died in the bombing as far as he knows. Wilhelm goes to find his sister in Leipzig and get rather more than he bargained for- his “ sister” being protected by a high ranking Nazi. Can Margarete survive behind her disguise or will Wilhelm tell on her? Wow. I loved this. It's a story of tenacity and determination against all odds, when survival is the only prize. A woman in a corner but able to think on her feet despite fear everywhere she turns. A reminder of the prejudices of war and a reminder of how simple things can sometimes prove these wrong when propaganda has brainwashed the majority of a nation. Of love and courage, of times gone by- but a reminder that sadly prejudices remain in some areas. A wonderful uplifting read.
(rest of links as part of blog tour)
Emotional read and well pull at your heart strings with each turn of the page. And the author does an amazing job with not only the story but also bring her characters to life
With grateful thanks to netgalley for an early copy in return for an honest opinion.
Have read a few other books by this fabulous  author  was delighted to  get an early copy and it certainly  did not dissapoint fabulously  thought out and well planned  can highly recommend.
A light in the window by the fabulous Marion Kummerow blew me away.  Through amazingly fluid writing and a great story line, you get engulfed in the storytelling until the end! A steady pace, nothing slow and nothing rushed. Perfect!
I loved this book – I lost my whole day reading – just couldn't bare to put it down! I’m giving this one a solid ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
In A LIGHT IN THE WINDOW, MARION KUMMEROW tells us a poignant love story between two unlikely people which takes place during the second world war. The darkness and evil of the time is contrasted with the Hannukah or Christmas candles at aunt Heidi's and the antique candlesticks on the windowsill at Wilhelm's flat, which seem to give a faint glow of hope.
The book is beautifully written and rich with emotion as the characters deal with the horrors of war, especially the inhumane treatment of the Jews, and the fear of falling foul of the Nazis. This fear is Jewess Margarete Rosenbaum's constant companion as she escapes the bombed Huber house, where she worked as a maid, disguised as their dead daughter, Annegret. Leaving Berlin, she goes to Leipsig where she stays with her aunt Heidi and very bravely gets a job at the Bibliotheka Albertina as Annegret Huber. She hates posing as the obnoxious Nazi girl who was so cruel to her but her very life depends on her acting the part.
Wilhelm Huber despises the Jews but does not want to get involved with their extermination as does his brother, Reiner. The author shows us the hidden vulnerability of this SS Oberscharfuhrer, who really only wants to enjoy the pleasures of life in Paris, and who would have preferred to study art rather than follow in his father and brother's footsteps. His complicated plan to get Annegret's inheritance, which depends largely on Margarete playing her part, is doomed if Reiner should find out that his sister is dead.
I am not going to tell you any more as I do not want to spoil the read for you.
It is a story about courage and sacrificial love that I found really beautiful and one I highly recommend.
I was given a free copy of the book by NetGalley from Bookouture. The opinions in this review are completely my own.w
Well this book simply surprising! I can't put into words how incredible A Light in the Window is.
Set in Berlin, 1941.. Margarete is working as a house maid for a Nazi officer when his house is bombed.
She is the only survivor after the bomb! Margarete ends up getting mistaken for his daughter. And she thinks this might be her only chance at freedom.
She only needs a few hours to escape. Until SS officer Wilhelm Huber, hunts her down.
Oddly enough he doesn't report her identity. He offers her something in return.... She must go to Paris with him where she will live and portray to be his sister! Because no one would expect a Nazi lady of security being a Jew?! She is scared someone might find out but she also wants her freedom!

In this extraordinary, well written, beautiful story this woman finds courage, independence and shows what its like to be brave and living in such hard times!

Thank You NetGalley Bookouture and Author for this amazing ebook copy!

Posting to my Goodreads and bookstagram closer to pub date!.