Cover Image: Tell Me

Tell Me

This thriller was so amazingly good, that I devoured it in one sitting. I just needed to know how it ended.

So this is the Second book of the series Inland Empire, I didn’t read the first book, and that’s totally fine. You don’t really need to read the first one to understand the second book.

It was mysterious, thrilling and like I said, just amazingly good.
The writing style was really fluid and it just sucked you into the story.

I definitely want to read the first book. Even if I kind off know how it will end, I just want to read it, because I really enjoyed Anne Frasier’s writing style.

4 teenagers are forced to go to a “no phone “ retreat. A detox centre that will take you on walks through the scary , dense woods. But then the guide ends up dead, and there is no sign of the 4 girls. Where did they go? And who killed the guide?

Criminal profiler Reni Fischer and Detective Daniel Ellis, who both have traumatising pasts, will need to find out what happened. But will they succeed?

I will post my review on my Bookstagram on the 27th of July at @ted_and_her_books
Tell Me begins two weeks after the twisted conclusion of Find Me. Criminal profiler Reni Fisher and detective Daniel Ellis are still grappling with the past, when a new case of a murder and kidnapping draws the partners into a new dark and macabre case. A resort to treat social media and phone addiction, three young girls, and one camping trip turned nightmare, send Reni and Daniel on a trip into the mountain trails to find a murderer. On the side, Reni is still searching for Daniel's missing mother and what she uncovers is both shocking and sad.  Full of suspense and interestingly, complex characters, Tell Me draws you in and keeps you guessing with twists and turns to make your head spin. Anne Frasier is a solid writer and permanently on my to read list. My voluntary, unbiased review is based upon a review copy from Netgalley.
Reni and Daniel are at it again. Solving crime and helping each other heal at the same time. I flew threw this book needing to know what happened out there on the trail. The author had me once again surprised at the end of the book. Never thought the surprise cameo would show up at Daniels house. This book is a must read for the summer.
For some reason, female hikers going missing in the wilderness seem to be pretty popular in Bookland right now. I can't say I mind, in fact I love it -- I thought Jane Harper's "Force of Nature" was one of the year's best books. Sadly, "Tell Me" is more in the vein of Kyle Perry's "The Bluffs"... not nearly as terrible (thankfully), but still quite ludicrous. First of all, the dynamic between the two main characters did not strike me as convincing at all. Supposedly these are two seasoned law enforcement professionals who are "the best" at what they're doing (in case we forget, the author helpfully reminds us just how unbelievably great they are every other page or so, which is all the more jarring because neither one of them actually *delivers*; Reni in particular seems like a watercolor-obsessed borderline nutcase despite describing herself as "while ... not the best in the country for the job, I'm one of the best"... which made me feel very, very afraid for the lost and kidnapped in California), but on the page they come across mostly as lovestruck middleschoolers, constantly giving each other googly eyes while hoping the other one won't notice. Please.

What annoyed me even more than the constant puerile "he's so attentive/can't stop thinking about her" was the author's love of Stating The Obvious. Now, maybe there are people out there who are unclear on what's at stake when dealing with a possible kidnapping ("It was about a missing girl. It was about finding her before she was killed, if she hadn't been killed already. It was about finding her before horrible things happened to her. That was unlikely, but not impossible."); I'd say that's unlikely, but not impossible. Those same people probably find it helpful to be told that "when a person's livelihood was at stake, many of those people lied. That was one of the toughest things about this business. Sorting the lies from the truth." What! Thanks for clearing that up.
Ever wonder what the deal was with that age progression business? Here you go: "Age progression was a fairly broad supposition. A could be. A might be. Some drawings ended up being remarkably accurate; others were horribly off, bearing little similarity to the person today." Got that sorted! Then again, maybe police work is still one big mystery to you, so you'll appreciate Reni sharing this particular piece of wisdom: "If Daniel's mother was still alive, and Reni leaned toward her being dead, she could be anywhere in or out of the country." I. Had. Not. Thought of that.
I really hope you like tons of useless info and endless descriptions of stuff that has nothing to do with anything. As an example, here's what the author has to say about the desk of a tech guy who figures in exactly 1 scene, the most forgettable character imaginable: "The desktop was strewn with personal items, like a small stuffed elephant and a framed photo of a girl standing in front of the entrance to Disneyland. Snacks to alleviate boredom. A can of cranberry soda that fizzed and popped every now and then. A bag of tortilla chips." I mean, "messy desk" would have done it for me.

"Tell Me" also isn't shy about stereotyping; when describing a school shooting, the author offers this: "The shooter fit a familiar profile with very little divergence. White. Hair dyed black. Hand and neck tattoos. Facial hair and pimples. Military clothing. Long black coat for hiding weapons. Laced military boots and tucked black pants." Right! Let's lock up all the emos and put an end to school shootings forever, problem solved!
On the other end of the scale, if you ever happen to become a victim it's basically game over for you, no chance for growth or healing or moving on, because "Tragedies had a way of locking people into the age they were when the disaster hit." (This because a 15-year-old's room is decorated with a pink fuzzy blanket and photos of her classmates. I don't know, was she supposed to upgrade to black wallpaper and tubular steel furniture?) Then again, being stuck at 15-going-on-12 might not be the worst that can happen to you, because once you hit 50, this is what's in store for you: hair with "a touch of gray, a fatter face, smaller eyes, pinched mouth, slight jowls." Ooof.
This kind of thing goes on and on, reading at times like a particularly pointless but certainly opinionated infodump (we get to hear A LOT about the desert, and the Santa Ana winds, and the perks and pains of watercoloring, and the desert, and what Reddit has to say on the correct treatment of snake bites, and lots and lots of desert). It gets especially tiresome when the author uses her characters as mouthpieces for what I tend to fear are personal opinions that only vaguely connect to the story, such as Sensitive Man Daniel bemoaning the state of modern society ("It's disturbing that we see an uptick in young men who feel society and women in general have nothing to offer them. And they have nothing to offer in return but rage." Insert massive eye-roll here), or cutting commentary on that nasty new-fangled "social media" thing ("That's how screwed up social media was. Likes were more important than a life.").

Solving this particular double murder/kidnapping actually isn't all that tough, the first suspect to pop up also turns out to be the killer. Phew! Talk about a lucky break! Especially since it takes some heavy-duty suspension of disbelief to accept how said suspect even makes it onto the radar. And then we take a sharp turn into "The Bluffs" territory and things get truly, I guess "baffling" is a good word. It's hard to describe exactly what was bothering me about that particular turn of events without giving too much away, but I really, really don't see that thing going down. It simply doesn't make sense, character-wise.
We don't get a lot of subplots, mainly there's just the question of Daniel's missing mom, and if you have any suspended disbelief left over from that Suspect Putting Himself on the Map incident, now would be the time to let it loose, because that's what it was made for. This I sadly can't get into without spoiling the, um, surprise?, but. Well. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

This is basically a beach read masquerading as something more high-brow (or maybe I misread the cover & description and the joke is on me); if you don't want to think too hard and like your characters simple yet over-explained and romantically stuck up, *and* have a high improbability threshold, I daresay you'll enjoy it. Me, I sadly found it hilarious for all the wrong reasons. 2.5 stars, rounded down because of the MCs' constant fawning.
Well Crafted Suspense…
The second in the author’s Inland Empire series finds both Fisher and Ellis still struggling with the past, something they have in common, and with a crime that must be solved at all costs. Meticulously written, well crafted, tension building and with characters that are nicely developing alongside a pacy plot line this is fast moving, chilling suspense with twists and turns aplenty and more than one surprise along the way.
***Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
The second in Frasier's Inland Empire series follows Detective Daniel Ellis and Profiler Reni Fisher as they deal with the fallout of their last investigation and throw them into a new case involving missing young hikers. Both characters undergo some personal revelations and work together to solve this new case that seems to get more and more twisted as they investigate.
A wonderful companion book with complex characters and an ending with a surprising twist.
An excellent second installment in the Inland Empire series. This book finds Daniel and Reni investigating the disappearance of a group of teenage girls, who were hiking as part of a social media addiction rehab exercise.

As the details of the crime come together, we learn more about Daniel and his unusual connection to one of the missing teens.

Just as with the first book in this series, I was impressed with the author's ability to balance a fast-paced plot and character development in a short novel without making anything feel rushed or overlooked. If you haven't read the first book yet, I recommend starting there to make the most of this one -- and definitely check it out when it releases later this month!
I was not prepared for how much I enjoyed this book. Yes, I have read another series by Anne Frasier and enjoyed it immensely. But I found myself drawn into this story and into the characters. The stark setting of the desert enveloped me, the beauty and danger of the Pacific Coast Trail added an interesting backdrop. The narrative kept my interest and the ending....well, be ready to be surprised. I think I will go back and read the first one.

Highly recommended!
Thank you NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer & Author for the amazing chance read and review the awesome advanced ebook!

I read Find Me by Anne Frasier in 2020, and absolutely loved it! Reni and Daniel's characters I just enjoyed their story so much. And having a second book to this series is thrilling itself!
In the second book Tell Me its just as great as the first.
The writing was simply outstanding!
I relished the story that was told! It was intense, wild, surprisingly crazy! And that's what gets me hooked when reading such a book!

I hope Frasier continues with this series because I'm devoted now!

Thank you again to the above people for the amazing opportunity to get to read this in advance!😘
Three girls go missing on a technology-free hike, leaving behind nothing their tents and the body of their guide. Reni and Daniel, fresh off their partnership hunting the grave sites of Reni's father's victims, investigate their case and hope to find all the missing hikers before something goes even more terribly wrong.

This is a cleverly plotted book, well-written and with a strong sense of place. Reni and Daniel felt like real people to me, albeit with unusually traumatic pasts. I felt the same sense of urgency as they did to find the missing hikers. As for the plot, there were enough hints dropped for me to try and puzzle out the mystery, but also cleverly foreshadowed twists I did not see coming.

My one complaint is that this book does not quite stand alone, as a less engaging subplot about Daniel's mother continued on from the previous book, and I was not particularly wowed by the subplot's resolution.
5 stars

What a great story. Reni Fisher and Detective Daniel Ellis undertake a new adventure in this, the latest book from Anne Frasier. Reni is a semi-retired profiler with a horrific past. She lives in an isolated little house in the desert. When she receives a phone call from Daniel about missing teenage girls and possible murders on a popular hiking trail.

They join together to get to the bottom of the story. They find one young woman shot to death in a camp with three tents, The other occupants - three of them - are missing. There are also a couple of hikers missing. A video goes viral. It is from the crime scene.

A subplot of this book is that Reni is still searching for Daniel’s mother even though he has asked her to stop.

When two of the girls are found, alive and relatively unhurt, the police are much relieved. But where is the third girl? And what about the missing hikers?

This is a pulse pounding story of terror and misadventure. There are some surprises in store for the reader as well. Reni and Daniel work very well together. They are both such kind people. It’s very ironic that they chose policing as a profession. This is a story about misdirection, lies and an intense investigation for a missing young girl. It’s a corker and I strongly recommend it for those who like police procedurals, thrillers or just a darn fine read.

I want to thank NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for forwarding to me a copy of this absolutely wonderful book for me to read, enjoy and review. The opinions expressed here are my own.
Similar to it's predecessor, this sequel is relatively short and I'm still impressed with how AF manages to completely fill each page. This is a very complete installment that picks up where ‘Find Me’ leaves off.

While this technically could be read as a standalone, I would recommend reading the first book to truly understand the characters and their backgrounds. There is some development regarding character histories, so having that prior knowledge would be beneficial.

And while I enjoyed the pacing and character stories, I can't help but feel a little let down with the way certain events unfold. It's a bit too simplistic for my liking. While I think the straightforward narrative worked for the content of the first book, I think it actually gives away too much of the mystery too soon for this particular story.

But overall, a quick and entertaining investigation!
This is a pretty good mystery, love the setting and definitely liked this book. Would recommend

Thank you to Anne Frasier, NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the ARC of this book.
The desert setting drew me in then the story kept my attention. Read this in one sitting because I was sure I had figured out the mystery and I wanted to see if I was right. I wasn’t. There were a couple twists I didn’t see coming and made the story even better. The first book in this series is Find Me, this one is Tell Me so I expect Show Me to be on my TBR next.
This book was incredible. Lots of twists and turns. I love how Reni's mind works. The two main characters have grest personalities,  are a little broken, a lot loyal and really good at their jobs. My heart broke for Daniel in this one, just like Reni in book one. I'm not gonna give spoilers, so not sure what else to say, other than this is a must read.  Lots of plot points moving at same time, yet tracked well.
Told from both main characters POV. We get a HFN ending. No cliffhangers. Higjly recommend this book.  I couldn't put it down.