Cover Image: Glorious Wrestling Alliance

Glorious Wrestling Alliance

Glorious Wrestling Alliance: Ultimate Championship Edition (GWA:UCE) is a graphic novel centered on a nearly-defunct pro-wrestling organization and the characters associated with it.

GWA:UCE both satirizes and celebrates pro-wrestling and it's over-the-top, zany nature. It's colorful, it's fun, and it's full of intersecting and weaving storylines. There are huge personalities, shady owners, insane costumes, and a doomed-from-the-start road tour.

Really, if you like or have ever liked pro-wrestling, you'll probably enjoy this quite a bit. Even if you haven't, as long as you're somewhat familiar with some of the ideas that surround pro-wrestling, like those I listed above, you'll find at least a few chuckles in these pages.
A great read from start to finish. The story is full of life and the colours back this up fantastically! Easy to enjoy and engage with, even for someone that is not super into wrestling! Can't wait for more from Josh.
It might because I have an incredibly stupid sense of humor, but I REALLY laughed at this! The wrestlers are so weird and so ridiculous, and the way it's set up is super creative as well.
This was a fantastic graphic novel. The illustrations were incredible. Perfect for a wrestling fan. My husband who is really into WWE thought it was hilarious and really well done.
As a fan of pro wrestling, I enjoyed many aspects of this graphic novel. It was witty and silly and poked fun at many of the frustrating aspects of the sport. I loved Death Machine's poetry, and it was probably my favorite part of the entire book. Each character had an interesting and entertaining arc, however, it didn't feel like enough. I wanted more from some of the characters, but I chalk that up to the comic genre in general.

I was hoping for a series my elementary school son could get into as well since he really loves wrestling, but I'd say this is a little too old for him. Some of the subjects would go over his head and the jokes are a little more subtle. Still a fun read for me, and I'd recommend it to fans of wrestling as well as comic fans in general.
Silly, melancholy, surreal, and full of existential dread, this funny/sad satire of wrestling and Capitalism is a bit lightweight, but very entertaining.  The art was great; both cartoonish and complex (especially in the use of architectural cutaway views to advance the plot and introduce new characters and plot threads).  I've never been a huge wrestling fan, but I really enjoyed this and wished it was longer.
This graphic novel is incredibly fun! It’s a quick read because it hooks you instantly. All of the characters are loveable and funny. You really get a sense of community from the get go and how the wrestlers support each other. I will definitely be purchasing this book!
As someone who has been slowly getting into pro-wrestling thanks to her husband's longtime love of it, GLORIOUS WRESTLING ALLIANCE was a fun take on the culture and the people who live it. I liked seeing the various dilemmas that the wrestlers have, be it Great Carp's anxiety, Gravy Train's identity crisis and need to reinvent himself (in spite of the fact he is the shape of a gravy boat), Miranda Fury's determination to get the credit she deserves, or Death Machine's poetic aspirations. I liked all of the characters, and enjoyed the wry humor that with their various existential crises. The artwork was also really fun, with cartoonish styles that fit the tone and humor of the book. I'm not as familiar with pro-wrestling as some may be (though I think I have a base knowledge of various aspects), so there were probably many Easter eggs that I didn't catch. But the ones I did catch were great.

Overall, GLORIOUS WRESTLING ALLIANCE is fun, quick, and an ode to the ups and downs of pro-wrestling without going too dark. Definitely enjoyed this graphic novel!
Glorious Wrestling Alliance is the perfect comic for any wrestling fan. It leans into the ridiculous side of wrestling, with strange gimmicks (the champ has a carp head, a wrestler named Death Machine writes fanciful poetry that incorporates wrestling moves) with the reality of the wrestling world (grueling touring schedule, struggle of female wrestlers to be taken seriously). I am a huge wrestling fan, and this was so much fun to read. I would read many more volumes of GWA adventures.
Glorious Wrestling Alliance is a fun comic about the professional wrestling business. I think people that are fans of pro-wrestling would really enjoy reading this comic.

Thanks to NetGalley and Lerner Publishing Group for the ARC.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.
I am sorry to say that I have to DNF this one. The text is just TOO hard to read on my computer. It is all blurry and at times just means staring at my screen too much, sometimes I just had to give up reading panels. Which didn't make it easy to know what was going on. .
The story itself is relatively fun though, I love seeing all the wrestlers and get a close-up with every of them. See what makes them tick. See how Carp is doing as he is having a major breakdown. The art is also quite fun (and the big reason why I requested this book in the first place).
So for the art/the story/the fun wrestling stuff, I give the book 4 stars. I would have definitely enjoyed this one if I had been able to read it further. Maybe I will pick it up when it releases.
This was an interesting Graphic Novel, but one that really failed to grab me.  It has an interesting concept, and a lot of cute ideas, but something was missing.

To me it seemed the author was trying to harness Scott Pilgrim vibes, both in the concepts used and a little in the artwork.  There are a lot of video game-esque references as we meander through the trials and tribulations of the wrestlers, but for me, the gimmicks wore a little thin.

It certainly wasn’t bad and I think a lot of readers will find enjoyment in the silliness of it, but because it evokes such strong Scott pilgrim vibes, I found myself comparing the two and this one didn’t measure up.

A solid 3.5, and a recommendation for people who like wrestling and want a graphic novel with a little comedy.
Colorful, action-packed visual work from Josh Hicks. A perfect text for readers of all ages with much to enjoy.