Cover Image: Watering the Soul

Watering the Soul

I looove Peppernell's poetry.
This wasn't my first book of this author and it will definitely not be my last!
„This is the story of your soul and how it can be grown again.“ - Ein schöner Slogan für dieses Buch und somit hat dieser kleine, aber feine Satz direkt mein Interesse geweckt. Da ich Gedichte im Allgemein sehr mag, habe ich mich somit sehr auf „Watering The Soul“ gefreut und hatte hohe Erwartungen. Leider konnten diese nicht immer erfüllt werden.

Zuerst sollte gesagt sein, dass Courtney Peppernell definitiv schreiben kann, was sie bereits u.a. bei „Pillow Thoughts“ unter Beweis gestellt hat. Die Mischung aus Gedichten und Essays ist auch in diesem Fall an sich gut gelungen, nur wirkten einige der Texte schon fast zu durchdacht.

So gut und wichtig einige der Texte auch sind, so wirken mir diese doch zu konstruiert, zu gewollt und oftmals schon fast zu kommerziell, was ich von Courtney Peppernell bislang noch nicht gewohnt war.

Dennoch werden in ihren Texten sehr wichtige Themen angesprochen, die nicht nur einem selbst gut tun, sondern auch anderen Menschen. So geht es in „Watering The Soul“ unter anderem um Selbstfindung, Vergebung, Selbstliebe, Respekt für sich selbst und anderen gegenüber, aber auch darum, stets für Neues offen zu sein.

Kurz gesagt: „Watering The Soul“ ist insgesamt eine gute, allerdings nicht überragende Sammlung an Essays und Gedichten und kann großteils mit einfühlsamen und nachdenklich stimmenden Texten überzeugen. Wären einige Texte etwas mehr aus dem Herzen heraus und weniger kommerziell, hätte ich sicherlich noch mehr Freude an diesem Buch gehabt.
*I received a free ARC of this book, with thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

This is an absolutely beautiful collection; a mixture of poetry and poetic prose encompassing many themes, including mindfulness, forgiveness, love and acceptance.

The book forms a love poem to a loved one, but also to oneself, and to life itself – the dark and the light of it.

Reading through this book felt like a healing, meditative process and made me immediately resolve to try to be a better person – kinder, more thoughtful, more patient, more grateful – without any sense that the author was attempting to ‘preach’ or lecture me into self-improvement.

With the feeling of a wise, serene spirit who simply offers to share those qualities with those who might need them, my main take-away from this wonderful little book is that I am going to need more Peppernell paperbacks to grace my shelves. (The covers are gorgeous too!)

Review by Steph Warren of Bookshine and Readbows blog
''There is a world within you, earth in your heart, air in your lungs, fire in your soul.''

I love Courtney Peppernell's poetry, but her books are so long that it always takes me an eternity to finish them. This wasn't an exception. Nevertheless, I actually enjoyed Watering the Soul. The poem on page 54 is my favorite of her. It resonated with me on so many levels. I wish more poems talked about that topic.

Overall, it's a good poetry collection that I think anyone in the process of getting to know their soul should give it a chance.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me an e-arc in exchange of an honest review.
This was very beautiful! I've never been a big poetry girl. But its been slowly becoming my favorite.  This was very well written
I loved this book. I felt really connected with the outline of the story. It honestly felt like a warm hug to my heart and soul. This book was exactly what I needed to read. It is so refreshing to read a book about personal growth in such a unique way. The illustrations are gorgeous. I'm going to think about this book and the lessons it has taught me every single day.
Watering the Soul by Courtney Peppernell is just what my soul needed during the duration of 2021 and this is one of the books I couldn't read all at once and I took a lot of my time reading because the farther in I wanted to just savor all of the material and I always wanted to read more about it.
There were some times where I didn't love the material but overall my soul is very very happy.
Pure cuteness in a form of a book. Courtney Peppernell's work always feels comforting to me but this one was especially so. It just felt like one big warm hug. Also, this collection felt a bit different from her previous work. This one did not focus on loving other people, but instead it focused on self love and self care. Everything about this was so cute. I feel like if I ever need a pick me up or a friendly shoulder I can just pick this book up and find it in here.
P.s. the artwork was also so so cute.
Thank you to Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
2/5 Did not finish before the download expired but the artwork was absolutely beautiful but I can only give it two stars because I struggled to pick it back up.
This book is so cute and beautifully thought provoking for the soul! I really love this book full of inspiration and wisdom. I plan to give everyone a copy this year for the holidays.
"Watering the Soul" is a relatable collection of poetry spanning topics from anxiety to acceptance and love.
I found this collection to be well paced, the chapters flowed well together, and the overall concepts presented were very relatable. I thought the illustrations were adorable and a great addition to the story. There were parts of the book that read a bit more as self-help but I think it tied in well with the theme of growth. I found the poems to be accessible and would be easy for a new-to-poetry reader to grasp. Overall, I would recommend this book of poetry.

Thank you to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for this e-arc of "Watering the Soul" in exchange for an honest review.
First of all, let me say that I love the cover of this book. It's so cute.

Now let's come to the book itself. This book contains a collection of poems that talk about life and living your life in the moment. It was a good read. Overall I enjoyed it.

Arc provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
After 'I hope you stay' which I didn't enjoyed much, I decided to give Peppernell's poetries another try. I liked the style and those tiny illustrations but I expected more. But to my heartbreak, I had to dnf this one. Guess, this kinda poetry isn't really my cup of tea.
The illustrations and poems are just the mental break that is needed during these trying times. This book of poetry is thoughtful and poignant.
I always enjoy Courtney Peppernell.  This one was good, though it did not all resonate with me quite as much as some of her others.  I'll always read her though.
Being quite a fan of her previous poetry I was disappointed this time round. These poems are about accepting yourself, flaws and all, and the path to forgiveness and growth. I much prefer her poetry about love and relationships.
Looking back on my various reviews, you can tell that I enjoy reading and listening to poetry. And this one is definitely up there. There is a good mixture of poetry and prose in this book, which surprised me because I almost forgot about the prose part of it.

One thing that I liked in the book is the artwork that denoted the different sections of the book which I can only imagine how cool they will look in the physical copy of the book.

An extended version of the review is available on my blog.
I have not read poetry for some time and would pick this lovely book up at times and read a bit then put it down and come back to it.  It is a book you can almost use as a guide for the soul but not necessarily a book to read as you would a novel.

Reading this makes you think about your life, about how you live it and about how you can live a better life. It is easy to read, isn't too deep and has some great illustrations.

I would recommend as a book to have on your shelf, to pick up from time tot time so you can remember that life is good. I would give it 3 1/2 stars.
This book was another great book. First the cover, it is amazingly drawn and cute. I love the character and hopefully some merch will be made from it. Second, the recipe for a watering your soul. I felt like I was actually getting advice from a lovely plant. Not only a recipe but a lesson in how to look after the one thing we have one of: our soul. Thirdly, the poems. Her poetry always made me question and connect with myself in a deeper level. It does bring some tears when you make that connection. I really enjoy this book. I follow this author since her first book in the pillow thoughts series. I can not wait to continue reading her work. And I definitely recommend it.
Muchas gracias Netgalley por el envío de una copia de este título.

Este poemarío contiene poemas muy profundos, con mensajes importantes para la vida de cualquier persona que alguna vez se haya sentido perdida o dañada. Es una mirada compasiva a nuestra propia vida, las acciones de los demás y nuestro actuar con el entorno.

Lectura agrabable y ligera.