Cover Image: The Summoning

The Summoning

I received a free advance reader's copy and am leaving this review voluntarily...

This book was interesting but quite slow at first. Kit was a strong character and well fleshed out. However, during the book, there were some characters who were unnecessary. This made some parts of the story confusing.

The atmosphere was excellently done. It felt like those horrors which I love, the ones which don't rely on blood and gore to scare the reader. It happened in modern times but sometimes I had to actually remind myself of that. The ending was worth the slow burn of the story and it tied everything together in a satisfying way.

Thanks to this book, I would definitely try more of this author's work.

There were some adult situations within this book so I would suggest that this book is read by older teens and adults who enjoy good old-fashioned horror stories.
Such a good morality question inside of this book. I did love that it made me think of how I would try and handle things but I definately saw who the bad guy was from a mile away. Things just were so sketch it was obvious. Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
This was a slow burn that I expected to be a bit creepier than it was, but was entertaining nonetheless. I find mediums and the paranormal unbelievable which makes for fairly low stress entertainment. Overall well written if not a bit slow building.
The premise of this book pulled me in immediately! I was really looking forward to a spooky read, particularly around this time of year, but unfortunately, this one just felt confused and a unfocused.

I must admit, the main character in the book was its saving grace! I enjoyed Kit and how she negotiated her life and tried to get herself back on track. She was vulnerable but with a hidden strength that really resonated with me and I genuinely wanted everything to work out for her!

It was the storyline that let this books down for me! It is difficult to review properly without giving away spoilers but this book seemed to be trying to be too many things at once and this, for me, resulted in it becoming confused and that translated on to me as the reader! The spooky aspects of this book were definitely atmospheric and the writing was really good but I couldn't surrender myself to it as there were too any characters that came in and out of the novel without impact or cause and the ending simply left me scratching my head!

This book had so much promise but felt a bit of a let down.
I was excited for this book when I first heard about it and even more excited that I got it from NetGalley to read and review.

Overall the book had some good moments, there were also some very confusing parts. It took until the end for me to really get into the book and see how everything concluded.

This book was not exactly what i thought it was going to be and i am still processing everything.. I am not sure if i would recommend this book to my family and friends or not.. i don't know yet....
Kit capriol is an out of work actress who channels the dead to make ends meet after the passing of her husband Peter on 9/11 . For Kit her seances have always for the most part been a performance . But things are starting to change shadows are lurking in doorways strange noises and things being moved in the middle of the night . Has Kit actually been communicating with the deceased ?
This book hooked me from the beginning . I loved the supernatural elements that it had . There are also tons of plot twists . The ending will surprise readers for sure . Overall this was a great read .
This book is a great read for spooky season  🔮 👻
This book definitely set me up for fall season and I'm all for it! If you like short chapters, suspenseful and spooky, this book is for you! It is a mix of thrill and horror- definitely hard to read at night. For a quick read, I really enjoyed it!
This is one of those books that give you eerie vibes one moment and then “what the heck is going on” feelings the next. Everything seems so bizarre and confusing until it’s not and it all starts to come together to make sense. A great mystery thriller with unexpected resolutions. I highly recommend for fans of Lisa Jewel or Ruth Ware.
The leading ladies narrative is quite strong and well written. In fact, I was sure this was a female author. And was very surprised to learn I was wrong. Props to J. P. Smith for fooling me; and for keenly understanding that strong, smart women can still be nervous or unsure at times. I appreciated the dynamic here of our lonely widow and her struggles; but how she’s persevered regardless. The heroine of the story and her character’s voice is what makes this story for me.

Mystery/Thriller
I was pleasantly surprised by this mystery/thriller (with a hint of supernatural) to it. This is not my usual genre; but I was intrigued by the psychic medium spin and in the mood for something a bit different. I’m glad I read it. While not amazing or perfect; and maybe 3.5 stars would be more appropriate than 4, the reality is that I truly enjoyed the strong narrative voice in The Summoning. The slow burn of the story felt very well paced to me and quite realistic. Added to that the supernatural element tossed in and I was hooked.

The End
The ending is the key to this story and you won’t know what the plot really is until you’re almost done with the novel. Without giving it away, I can say it brings up questions of societal power, gender roles, grief, and the assumption or expectation (if you will) that most people are inherently good. This skewing of people and the ‘goodness’ of our society comes crashing down even as I still asked myself ‘am I sure whose the villain?’ Not because it’s not obvious in the end but because of the blend of the otherworldly with stark, assured realism.

Overall
Clever is the best description for The Summoning. You think you’re reading one type of story; only to realize that maybe it’s not as cut and dry as it seems. A wonderful blend of realism and paranormal. While a few moments felt slightly ripped off (I swear it’s Sleep Away Camp referenced) none of these moments change the impact of the ending. Thankfully I enjoyed the characters a lot, and found the pacing to my taste (which is to say that some might find it a touch slow). I liked how realistic the set-up (and ending) felt given the occult inclusion. This is one you have to read to decide if it’s for you as I can’t say too much because it would spoil the whole experience and ending.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.
I enjoyed The Summoning by JP Smith. I wanted to enjoy it more. It had so much potential and from early on, I was very excited to read it. Unfortunately it left me wishing for more. More suspense, maybe something a little spooky. With that said, I don’t mean to say that The Summoning wasn’t a good book because it was, just not what I had expected. It was fun to try to figure out if the main character was who she said she was and the twist at the end was fun too.
Thank you NetGalley for an e-ARC of The Summoning by J.P.Smith.
The premise of this book pulled me into the story. The characters were likable and easy to relate to. The mix of paranormal and ghost was enough to add suspense without making me sleep with the lights on. However, Smith weaves several storylines that are dropped and not tied up with the rest of the book. At the two-third mark of the book I was all in and excited because I had no idea how the story would end. But, the end was disappointing. I really wanted a paranormal twist; something unpredictable that was alluded to but never delivered.
Fake medium Kit Capriol reads the obituaries every morning, looking for potential clients. Her own husband was killed in the Twin Towers on 9/11. She knows all about grief and the hope that it would be possible to communicate with the dearly departed and, although she can't seem to get an acting job, she's very good at convincing her clients that she's receiving messages from beyond the grave.

I've got mixed feelings about this one. At first I didn't like Kit at all, but as I got further into the book I realized that everything wasn't quite what it seemed. By the middle chapters I was really enjoying it, then by end end I wasn't sure what to think.
As I got further into this story line, I became slightly confused on some events happening. Once I got closer to the end, it all made sense! It was such an interesting story and felt completely enthralled in what was going to happen! I had to immediately turn to some friends and get their opinion on the ending. Overall, enjoyed this story!
This was a really intriguing story and one that I could definitely see some truth behind.

For an actress like Kit Capriol, playing the role of a medium for her grieving clients is no different than playing a role for the big screen. But with few opportunities for screen time, she finds herself barely scraping by. Having lost her husband on 9/11 and now with her daughter in the hospital, bills are starting to pile up, and helping others connect to lost loved ones is one way for her to stay afloat…but for how long.

Soon Kit begins to experience strange occurrences that leave her feeling unsettled. Could this be related to the man she met at a local bar who she knows next to nothing about or are the voices of the dead finally reaching out to her?

I had mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I understood why Kit did what she did, and she brought peace to loved ones of those she claimed to make contact with. But on the other hand, I hated that she was deceiving them. Then when she started seeing and hearing things during seances, it made me wonder why she was suddenly  experiencing this when she had lied about it for so long. Then end of the story took a turn I didn’t see coming, and I had mixed feelings about that as well. But overall, I thought it was well written and worth the read.

The Summoning starts out as a slow burn and opens with readers meeting Kit, a widow as a result of 9/11. It does take a while to get in to this book, but once I did I enjoyed the murder aspects, the paranormal, the spooky aspect of the story. It really draws the reader in. This is a great book to release around this time of year, for the spooky season. The ending of this book has twists, and the climax is surprising and I was questioning Kit's sanity throughout.
New York is a city full of life, full and deaths too, and especially full of living people missing the dead. Kit understood that and made the best use of her actor skills to help people with their griefs and put them in touch with their loved ones who passed away. Or so she says. She is getting enough money from her clients to survive honestly and take care of her hospitalized daughter. Only, her acting soon get mixed into reality and it seems that the dead are not so far away after all.

This novel is thrilling, mixing some suspense with mystical and drama. It is quick paced, sometimes too quick to fille understand everything going on, but I suspect it is done on purpose to confuse the reader about what is true and what is not, what is in Kit’s head and and what is really happening.

I was completely absorbed in the last half of the book. The first half does not have this “thriller” vibe as we are more settling into the story and building the background. But I enjoyed it as much.

All the characters are shady, and we mix we can only trust Kit (and even her it is not sure), I mean that we know that she is not going to get away with is easily and that troubles will follow her. So there is not much surprise here, we could think, and yes it is true, but the beauty is in how everything is linked together, nothing is left unthought, and the ties just get tighter. The unfolding, like in an old thrillers, is mind blowing.

I am really glad I had the chance to read this book and I would recommend it for everyone living soft drama thrillers, and honestly it is not that scary so don’t be afraid.

Special thanks to Netgalley and Poisoned Pen Press for sharing a digital copy of this book with me in exchange for an honest review.
This. Book. Was… insane! I slightly skimmed a review before starting it and I read about how if you found this book slow at the beginning to give it a chance and keep reading because things were not as they initially seemed. From the moment I started this book though, I was immediately hooked.

A dead husband, a daughter in a coma, & a very much struggling actress getting by just barely by pretending to be a medium and offering psychic readings to bereaved people who’ve lost someone to 9/11 attacks… it sounds crazy doesn’t it? But this isn’t where the crazy ends. After months if not years of Kit (lead character) tapping into a world that the living should not have access to, things start to get a bit paranormal.

After finding out that she’s being investigated by the police for “scamming” people with her psychic readings, after meeting two people who just have something about them that makes Kit wonder what is going on. Then just when she thinks can’t get any weirder, she meets Dave/David, one half of the detective duo investigating her.. now, Dave a widower himself who just seems to be so charming & quickly endears himself to Kit.

But when things start getting weirder around Kit, when the apparition of a woman keeps appearing to her begging for help Kit truly wonders if everything is actually happening or if she’s going mad.

Halfway through this book and as a reader you can’t help but be swayed into thinking that maybe just maybe, the main character is going nutty but.. who is this woman who keeps appearing to Kit? What did Zoe her daughter see that made her go into a coma for so many years from the trauma? And.. is David truly what he seems? This book will for sure leave you biting your nails through the end, wondering just what the heck you’re reading and the ending? Is one you will so not expect!
The temperatures cooled off and feel fall-like just in time for this creepy, chilly story. I really felt for the main character and her grief, but the supernatural aspect was what hooked me. I enjoyed this one.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC to read and review. All opinions are my own.
👻 Book Review 👻

👻 The Summoning by JP Smith

👻 Publication Date - September 7th 2021

👻 This slow-burn psychological thriller about an out of work actor who stumbles onto a terrible and brilliant idea to make ends meet. The anniversary of 9/11 is fast approaching—armed with the obituary section of the New York Times, Kit Capriol is going to act as a medium to “help” people find closure with lost loved ones.

👻 I thought this book would be a great horror story to start off my Halloween reading but it was more suspenseful than scary!

👻 I loved that the book kept me questioning what was happening and what was going to happen next. The book drew me in straight away but it wasn't until about 50% through that I found it hard to put it down!

👻 The story has elements of grief and loss, ghosts and a psychological twist. I would recommend this book, it's a great start to any Fall/Halloween reading !
The summoning by J. P. Smith is a story made of grief, loss and how it impacts all of us.

The plot sounds promising, Kit is a widower who holds seances for people who have lost their loved ones. Her own husband was lost during 9/11 and more tragedy has struck her since then.

This book really made me think. Usually these things were big years ago but what would this look like in the 21st century? Here was have a version of it.

I liked Kit. She seemed such a gentle caring person, helping people despite the fact that she needed the money. Her sense of isolation and that she accepted it so readily speaks volumes about her grief and how she deals with it.

I liked the secondary story put in there but won't say what it is so as not to spoil it. It added some suspense to the story.

This was not spooky or scary for me but haunting in the way that it's so real. This could be any of us. It had to much of a slow pace for me and the chapters were short.

I give this 3 stars. Unfortunately it just did not hold my attention and I struggled through but this is my personal opinion. The writing is clear, descriptive without over doing it. Definitely give it a try if your intrigued.