Cover Image: The Summoning

The Summoning

I went into this book blind. It was about Kit, a medium, who lost her husband in 9/11. Her daughter has been in a coma for 3 years after falling in front of a train. Kit isn’t aware that she is being investigated by the police for being a charlatan. Kit never excepts money on the first visit and only accepts donations after. Kit is an out of work actress and she is indeed a fraud. However, when doing a reading to a client she somehow performs a real summoning and sees a dead child. Now, she isn’t sure which is real life and which is afterlife.
This book has super short chapters and it’s a very quick read. I was hopeful that this book would be more spooky but it was a solid thriller.
Woohoo, what a fun, goosebump raising, unputdownable read!  I loved this one, really did blow my mind!  Fantastically written with such phenomenal character development!  Made me flip pages, stay up way too late, and tingle up my spine a few times!  I love paranormal though, so mixing my two favs just made it suberb!  So unique, original, and fast paced!  Cannot recommend enough!

Will buzz around platforms and use top Amazon reviewer number on release!
I was excited to start this read, but I couldn’t get into it. For me it was a do not finish. I liked the premise, but got lost in the different stories.
The Summoning has been on my radar and I was stoked to be approved for a Netgalley copy. Thrillers with a bit of potentially supernatural events are typically right up my alley.

I think I was expecting something different than what the book ended up being, but I actually still enjoyed it quite a bit. I loved not really being able to tell if Kit was a fraud or not. She claimed she legitimately wanted to help grieving families, but was an actress. Was she just getting into character? I always appreciate it when I can’t figure out a main character.

The beginning felt a little bit clunky, but I loved the way it ended. Without going into too much detail, there were some things I didn’t see coming and I loved the final chapters!

I recommend this one, but it’s not the ghost story the synopsis makes it out to be.. it’s definitely more of a thriller/mystery.
3.5 - this book was.. wow!

meet Kit, a widowed actress who is forever between gigs and decides to make money off fooling those with lost love ones. at first, Kit seems like such an awful person. how could someone knowingly fool another person who is grieving? but just read on, you will come to understand Kit and all her troubles and how she feels abt what she does to pay the bills.

there is such a strong feel of paranormal and suspense throughout the whole entire book. as things are playing out, the reader is on edge, waiting for things to keep progressing, waiting for a ghost to appear. that was my favorite part of the whole book; the ambiance.

there are some things that i did not understand, some unanswered questions and some holes in the plot. there were some things that happened that just didn’t seem to fit with the plot, and for that reason, i could not rate this one higher.

thank you NetGalley for an advanced readers copy in exchange for my honest review!
In The Summoning, Kit is drowning in medical bills and payments on her mortgage. As a struggling actress, who became a widow on 9/11, she decides to be a medium. For a time it works, but right when she starts getting investigated for fraud, the seances start to feel a little too real.

There was so much going on in this book! I was constantly trying to figure out if it was supernatural or all a lie. I was very interesting in figuring out all the secrets, however I feel like a lot was left out. In the end I had more questions than I started with. It had a lot of loose ends that I felt could have been dealt with. It did have the perfect tension to have me wanting to keep reading, I just was a little disappointed to not get answers to a lot of the questions brought up throughout. For me, this was a 3.5/5.

I received a digital copy of this book free from NetGalley and Poisoned Pen Press in exchange for an honest review.
This book started off amazing. The creepy atmospheric writing had my skin crawling and I was immediately pulled into this psychological thriller. I thought Kit was a very interesting character and I felt for her.
Issue was in the last 25% of the book. There were SO many elements that are just never explained. I was completely confused as the story unfolded because happenings contradicted each other.

I am left with so many questions and a really disappointing explanation for the main plot. With an actual ending, this would have been a phenomenal book.
I was pleasantly impressed with this book. I thought at first, I was not going to like this book. It took a few chapters to get into the story. Once I did, though, the book was incredible. Kit was so sure that her ‘medium’ talent was her acting and research skills. After her daughters accident, things begin to go strange. She really begins to hear from those passed on. So many things are going on with this book. There are police involved, fraud charges and missing persons. I do not want to spoil this book so  read this book if you love great haunted stories.
This book starts out as a slow burn. The atmospheric build up is amazing, and the characterizations draw you in.

At first, you don’t know what to make of Kit, who is a 9/11 widow. She’s an actress by trade, but also a medium. She researches obituaries and memorials, and offers her services to grieving families. She prepares as though she’s playing an actor in a play. Is she taking advantage of these people?

You learn more about her tragic background and her daughter, Zoey, who suffered from tragic accident three years prior. You start to feel more empathy towards Kit instead of dislike.

Kit gets a client who isn’t who they seem to be, which leads her down a path of what is real and what isn’t. She starts to question her own sanity, as do others in her life.

There are two different plot twists, which will make you go back and read the pages again. You’ll question everything you have just read, and you will want more. The ending ties the events to gather well. I wish there was more in this story, because I didn’t want to stop reading.

I would like to thank J.P. Smith,  Poisoned Pen Press, and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
The Summoning was different than I thought it would be, which is a good thing. The description made it look as though the protagonist, Kit, mainly targeted the relatives of people killed on 9/11. I thought it was too early (even though it's been 20 years) and too raw for a book to have a protagonist who is scamming 9/11 relatives of the dead. That was only a small part. The majority of her targets (or clients, as she thought of them) were indeed mostly moms of dead children. Kit thought she was helping them because she made them feel better even though she actually didn't contact the dead.

Until the day she started having visions of their murders or hearing their voices in the night.

Kit scans the memorial section of the New York Times looking for "clients" but most are not from 9/11. If you are triggered, there are a lot of mentions of 9/11 because Kit's husband died in the North Tower.

The are surprising twists, especially the climax. I could see the bad ending coming for the lousy detective boyfriend but never anticipated the way it came about. I never anticipated what would happen to the protagonist. Some good zigzags on the part of the author.

I enjoyed The Summoning more than I thought I would. It's more of a mystery story than supernatural or horror, although there are ghosts.  Thanks to Netgalley and Poisoned Penned press for allowing me the read and review The Summoning.
The Summoning
by J.P. Smith

Every year, as the anniversary of 9/11 inches closer on the calendar, Kit Capriol scans the memorials published in the New York Times. It’s a simple thing to look up a name and phone number, to reach out to surviving family members who might still be yearning for connection with their lost loved one… to offer assistance. After her husband went down in the north tower, Kit scraped by as an actress, barely supporting herself and her daughter. But now Zoey is in the hospital, bills are due, and the acting work has dried up. Becoming a medium is almost too easy for someone used to pretend for a living—and desperate clients aren’t hard to come by.

Now, though, something has changed. The seances Kit holds in her apartment are starting to feel unsettlingly real, and the intriguing man she met at a local bar could be more complicated than he seems. As the voices of the dead grow louder in her head and the walls of her apartment close in, Kit realizes that despite her daughter’s absence, she hasn’t been quite as alone as she thought…

I enjoyed the book. I must say I got it wrong a couple of times on what was happening to Kit. I would recommend this story for anyone who has a day to readan unusual but good book
Kit, an out-of-work actress needs money, her husband died on 9/11, and her daughter has been in the hospital for the past three years in a coma after an accident in a subway station. Bills are piling up and she can't seem to get any roles. She begins looking through the New York Times obits and memorial pages contacting family members left behind, letting them know that she is a medium and has received a message from their dead love one.

Some people have said that this is a horror book, but I did not see that in the book at all. It is more a slow burn suspenseful thriller with a hint of paranormal thrown in when Kit starts hearing from actual dead people while trying to " contact " the fake ones.

I am still not sure how I feel about Kit. What she does seems morally wrong, but is it really? The people seem to find joy from hearing from their lost loved one, so she is also bringing joy to some very lonely people, so there is that. Yet I also understand her will to survive ad provide the medical treatment her ill daughter needs. Unlike Kit, I probably would have just went out and got whatever normal job I could.

There was a lot going on in this book, emotional and financial stress, loss and grief, some mystery. Smith is a good writer, there were times I  felt as overwhelmed as Kit did, who was in a downward spiral and a very unreliable narrator.

The ending has a little bit of a twist to it but it was nothing that was completely jaw-dropping. However once again I will say that the writing kept me engaged and entertained and had me wanting to get back to it when I had to set it down to do life things.
Kit's husband was killed on 9/11 and her daughter Zoe has been in a coma for three years after falling in the subway and hitting her head.  Now she's struggling to keep her head above water financially.  Regrettably, she opts to exploit grieving widows by posing as a medium who can connect them to their loved ones.  Not nice.  Then she meets David but she doesn't know his secret.  She thinks all is well- it's not.  She''s also starting to spin- really hearing voices and other creepy things are happening.  She's also a very unreliable narrator,  This has merges the paranormal with other elements and has some good twists,  Thanks to netgalley for the ARC.  I didn't expect to root for Megan but I did.
I adore these kinds if stories...where you are never sure of who is who. Kit has lost her husband, Peter in the 9/11 disaster.  Her daughter Zoey was with her in the subway and something terrible happened. Zoey fell and her injury put her into a coma for over 3 years. Kit is an out of work actor, using seances to help pay bills.  But now the seances seem real...and the police are trying to shut her down. A must read!
Thanks to #Poisonedpennpress and #Netgalley for an e-arc of #TheSummoning by #JPSmith.
I really enjoyed this one, I liked the athmosphere and I liked the main character Kit. While she had her faults, she was also a sympathetic person and it was easy to see where she came from.  I did not see where it was going until quite late in the story. I will definitely check out the authors other novels!
This is a very interesting premise for a book but I couldn’t get in to the main character or her circumstance. Her husband died in 9/11 and her daughter is in a coma in hospital. Out of financial desperation, she scours the obituary notices in the newspaper to offer her ‘services’ to grieving relatives as a medium.  But the lines start to get blurred and things start to get creepy. It didn’t conjure up enough of an atmosphere for me.
This was a really well written story. I found myself wholefully entertained and interested from start to finish.
The characters were well written and believable.
I didn't find much fluff and most of the story flowed seamlessly together.
A Good Read.
Kit is a struggling actor who works part-time as a medium, which can be argued. Acting isn't exactly paying the bills so Kit spends time browsing through the obituaries and reaching out to grieving widows in an attempt to help them find closure. Or at least that is what she tells herself so it doesn't sound as bad. What she's doing can also be seen as taking advantage of vulnerable people.

Kit meets a guy, David, who is also a cop. Meeting him makes her feel as if she's alive again. Being a widow herself and having a daughter in a coma after an aneurism has been a lot to deal with. David often takes her out, checks in on her frequently, and makes her feel cared for. Something she hasn't felt in a while.

While things are going well in one area of her life, things seem to be getting out of hand in another. Kit begins to have trouble distinguishing between what's real and what's all in her head. During the seances she performs for the widows, she begins to feel out of control. She's hearing voices, feeling spirits brush her hair, hold her hand. Is this real or is she a better actor than she thought?

This book wasn't exactly a page-turner but wasn't horrible. I feel that the plot was a little slow. Every time I would get excited and think something big was about to happen it kind of fizzled out. I was left wanting more. This novel kind of gave me 6th sense vibes. A dark tale that only gives you enough information to string you along until the end. One thing the author did a great job of was how he kept me guessing. I had a few theories about how things would play out and all of them were completely wrong. Although I didn’t feel invested in the story line, I did  enjoy the plot twist at the end.  I give it 3.5 stars.
I didn't read the synopsis odd this book before I started it. I'm glad I didn't. It allowed me to view it in an unbiased way.

This was, at once, a haunting, chilling paranormal suspense and murder mystery. It was sad and funny and sweet and diabolical. Literally ALL AT ONCE!

I really liked this book. I think a paranormal/mystery fan would as well.

WARNING! SPOILER!

I did not see Kit's death coming! I had David figured out fairly quickly. The last line of the last chapter threw me for a MAJOR loop. But the EPILOGUE (CODA)! WOW!

Trigger Warnings: Death, Stalking, light violence, swearing

Thank you to Netgalley, JP Smith and Poisoned Pen Press for allowing me to read this ARC. All opinions are my own.
This ARC was provided to me via Kindle by Poisoned Pen Press  and #NetGalley for my honest opinion.

The Summoning is different from anything else I’ve read in a long time. Kit is seemingly a character most won’t like, that changes. Her ill intentions are not always that.