Cover Image: She Heard the Birds

She Heard the Birds

This picture book biography celebrates Florence Bailey, who
became an animal activist determined to protect birds. Her
mother was an astronomer and her father was a naturalist who
took Bailey and her brother on long camping trips; later, her
brother cofounded the National Geography Society. The brief
text would make a great classroom read-aloud, describing what
inspired Bailey: “People thought wearing birds on hats looked
beautiful. To Florence, those hats were the ugliest things she
had ever seen.” The inviting illustrations were done using oil
pastel and pencil on collaged paper and feature one spread
showing ten common birds and the sounds they make. All of
the people depicted, including Bailey, appear to be white. Back
matter includes an author’s note with more on Bailey and a list
of sources.
She Heard the Birds is a beautifully illustrated biography of Florence Merriam Bailey aimed at young readers Due out 12th Oct 2021 from Princeton Architectural Press, it's 38 pages and will be available in hardcover and ebook formats.

Written and illustrated by Andrea D'Aquino, the collage and oil pastel illustrations are colorful and quirky and full of small details which enhance the simple prose and encourage readers to pause and think about the text. The author manages to relate the less salubrious details of pre-conservation movement society in an age-appropriate and truthful manner.

The book includes a timeline and short capsule bio with a photo of Bailey at the end of the book which includes numerous links for further reading.

This would be a good selection for public or school library acquisition, classroom, or home use. It would also make a nice bedtime read.

Four stars. Simple and engaging.

With unique yet familiar illustrations and visuals, Andrea D’Aquino takes us through the life of famous ornithologist and nature activist Florence Merriam Bailey. Through the simple and approachable text of this book, students can be empowered to become activists for nature. In this book, students become aware that they possess all they need to work to change the world within themselves. With a short biography in the back of the book as well, there is abounding potential for learning opportunities. As someone born and raised in the home state of Florence Merriam Bailey, this book would be a fantastic tool for New York teachers when discussing local history.
A fascinating account of how Florence Bailey changed the way we study birds (orinthology) and observe them in nature. There aren't too many details about her work and life in the book, but the light touch the author uses, accompanied by the soft palette and intriguing collages of the illustrator, make for a unique approach to nonfiction picture book biographies.
Whimsical illustrations and simple text, highlight the life of  Florence Merriam Bailey who became an ornithologist and author of one of the first field guides to birds.  Children will enjoy reading about a woman who became such an advocate for birds and changed bird watching.
The artwork in this book is truly beautiful. I learned about a figure who was previously unknown to me which was lovely. She Heard the Birds introduces an inspirational women in history as well as gently informing on the importance of animal (or bird) conservation. All around great!
Yes to more information on birds and safeguarding wild life.

I love how educational this small book is. I love the artstyle. It's different and gives the scrapbook vibes. Kudos to the artist.

I just wish the font size and the font style are more reader friendly.

Thank you, author/artist and the publisher, for the advance reading copy.
What a beautiful book! I knew nothing of Florence Merriam Bailey, prior to reading this book but am now definitely interested in finding out more about this amazing woman. The collage illustrations are stunning and have a definite Matisse feel to them. This is a great book for bird lovers, fans of illustrated biographies or just those who want to read about how anyone, with determination and dedication, can help to change society for the better.
Florence Merriam Bailey is a inspiration because in a time when women weren't highly regarded in science careers, she sought to change the face of ornithology and learn about bird to help others appreciate and study them differently. This book has quirky and fun illustrations that will inspire you along with Florence.
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. Florence Mariam Bailey loved to look at birds and she wanted to study them too. She knew that other scientists often studied them by killing them, but Florence did not want to do this. Great biography for kids and for those who love the birds.
She Heard the Birds introduces young readers to the life of Florence Merriam Bailey, a pioneering ornithologist.  Bailey loved and appreciated nature, specifically birds, and campaigned against the use of feathers in fashion.  Her other accomplishments included writing one of the first field guides to American birds.

This is a light preschool to early elementary biography about an inspiring woman in history.  Whimsical collage-style illustrations add to the charm of this book as well.  However, for me, the story just fell flat.  It wasn't very engaging and it was quite simplistic.  I wish the author would have chosen to focus more on biographical information and not such much on the bird song.  This was simply a case of too little substance.

*Disclaimer: I receive a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
Beautiful illustrations and simple text remind children that their voices matter! The story of Florence Bailey is new to our family, but my children love leaning about people who have made a difference and changed the way the world thinks.
Do you know who Florence Bailey was? She is sometimes referred to as the “first lady of ornithology.” Her first published book, Birds Through an Opera-Glass, is considered to be the first modern bird field guide. Andrea D’Aquino’s book, She Heard the Birds, is a lovely, full color book dedicated to introducing Bailey to young children. The text is informative without being dry, and the illustrations are appealing to young children. We need more picture books like this about women in STEAM.
Women were a critically in establishing bird conservation though they haven't gotten enough credit. This book is a great way for children to learn about a women that had a impact on protecting wild birds. The author presents this fact in a easy to read and comprehend short story. Recommend for all young readers.
I absolutely enjoyed this beautiful book. “She heard the birds” was the perfect book to share with my 5 year old daughter. The illustrations were gorgeous. The writing was concise and communicated fantastically alongside of the beautiful illustrations.
"She Heard the Birds" by Andrea D'Aquino is a picture book about ornithologist Florence Merriam Bailey,

The book features beautiful, collage-style illustrations about the nature activist's career.
As an outdoor school educator, I am always looking for books to help children relate to the outdoors. This book about Florence Bailey definitely hit the mark!
I enjoyed the extensive back matter on birds, locales and Florence herself. I appreciated that the book talked about tools needed for bird watching and that we don't need much to just listen and learn. Florence can be an inspiration to children young an young at heart to go after something they are passionate about.
A wonderful brightly colored picture book about Florence Merriam Bailey and her love for nature and birds. As a young girl, Florence would learn all she could about birds and their songs. I loved the word breakdown of how the songs sounded. I highly recommend this book for kids of all ages especially if you love birds and nature. Thanks to #netgalley for the advanced reader copy. I loved it.
I love, love, love this book! The artwork is absolutely stunning. This is an engaging story about the life and work of Florence Merriam Baily that I am sure adults and kids will love. I can't wait to share this with my 3 and 5 year olds!
Well-meaning book showing the young audience the work of Florence Merriam Bailey, a pioneering American ornithologist who campaigned against the use of bird feathers – and stuffed bird carcasses – as fashion accessories, and against shooting of birds for 'scientific' 'study' or worse.  Instead she, and the text here, wanted to focus on the song the birds made, and what it might teach us all about respecting nature.  Like I say, well-meaning, and it hits most of the beats it wants to well.  I just can't get over my dislike of the choice of artistic style in the illustrations.

"Counting Birds" by Heidi Stemple lacks the female subject, but does quite a similar thing.  Review:- https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2564131917