Cover Image: Survivor’s Guilt

Survivor’s Guilt

It is hard to go wrong with a DCI Drake book. This one, which is number 8, was just as good as the seven before!!
This 8th book in the DCI Matilda Drake series had me hooked from the outset.

Picking up the storyline from Time is Running Out this was an absolute rollercoaster of emotions. I'm intrigued by the ongoing storyline and already am looking forward to the next instalment.

5 stars
Outstanding addition to the Matilda Darke series!! I have read these from the very beginning and am always left a little shook but waiting eagerly for the next installment.
Stunning and gripping.  This was a great addition to the series and the events keep the reader on tenterhooks.
Many thanks to Harper Collins UK and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Great book, by an author I will read more of!  Thrilling plot, great writing and brilliant characters.  Highly recommend to others.
I refused to read the previous installment as most of my favorite characters were killed off.  Why? I still can’t understand that logic.  Anyway, I downloaded the follow up novel which of course recapped what I was avoiding and I have to admit it was a very good book.  Perhaps Wood was right and I was wrong.
This is a great series and I had high expectations for this book and was not disappointed. I recommend the whole series.
Really enjoyed this book, could not put it down. Will definitely read more by this author.                     .
This is number 8 in this series in which  the characters seemed a little more developed (although I still didn't find some of their situations and reactions to be particularly plausible) and the plot kept my attention to the end.  There are still a lot of back stories to assimilate, so it would probably be best to read them in order, as the character's lives are integral to the stories.

In this tale, Matilda has returned to her high pressure job as a DCI after being shot in the head, despite not being cleared to drive, which makes one wonder why she was allowed to return full time rather than being eased back in.   Her team has survived without her, but they are all still suffering from the fallout of the shootings which resulted in the deaths of several of their number.  Matilda's best friend, Adele, is not speaking to her at all, blaming her for her son's death.  So in her first week back, Matilda finds herself seeking a serial killer who is preying on the prostitutes of Sheffield.  She works with some of the girls to try to find this killer, as well as dealing with the return of a kidnapped child and his reintegration into his family, years after his abduction.  The result is a pressurised leader who's attention is being pulled in many directions, leading to errors and lapses causing further loss of life.

I don't warm at all to Matilda - she is incredibly self-centred and allows personal issues to cloud her professional judgement, nor can she seem able to rely on the excellent team she has around her.  We don't get to really understand what was happening with Adele, anything much about Zofia, or even what really brought Bev and Sarah to the streets.  There are clues, but we're left guessing.

The final chapters are really just setting the scene to tempt the reader to buy the next instalment.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins for allowing me access to the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
DCI Matilda Drake returns to work after being shot in the head nine months ago. Her injury took place at the same time as a number of her team & close friends were killed. How will she manage to pick up the pieces? Understandably not very well! She finds it hard to slot back into the team. When a woman is found murdered & the method points to some cold cases it soon seems clear they have a serial killer on their hands; is she still up to the job/ Her colleagues worry they she may not be as she seems intent on leaving them out of things.

This book follows on from the dramatic events at the end of book seven of the series. I have read some of the previous books & really wish I'd read #7! I did manage to get past that but I'm sure if I had read it I would have given it five stars! It was a good police procedural that kept me guessing. Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book- I must make sure I read #9!
Thank you to Netgalley, the pubilshing house and the author for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of this book in return for a reveiw based upon my honest opinion.

I love this series! This is the eighth book in the DCI Matilda Darke series, and it could easily be read as a standalone book but the series is so good, you should of course read the repvious seven books!

In this book, we are about nine months from the terrifying shootings in book seven and Matilda is recovering from being shot in the head.  She is ready to start back at work and gets thrown into a big case right off the bat, prostitutes that have seemlingly gone missing and are now being found murdered are linked to one another and as the case gets bigger, Matilda's team wonders if perhaps she wasn't ready to come back to work yet.  Matilda's team wonder if they can trust her judgement and Matilda wonders how much more loss she can take.

As usual, this book was full of tension and action.  I love these characters and it's like checking in with old firends.  Lots of shocking moments in this book and I am looking forward to the next book in this series.
Fabulous. An exciting thriller that hurtles along with all the pace of a runaway rollercoaster, Wood catches you off guard with a plethora of interesting characters, tantalising clues, whipsmart twists and turns, and a beautifully plotted tale. A recommended read for curling up with on one of these brisk winter evenings.
Gritty thriller ,not for the faint hearted. Lots of twists and turns and a great cast of characters. Matilda is back but still suffering mentally and physically . A good read.
This is my first novel in the Matilda Darke series, and while I may have missed a lot I did find that this story seems to be easy to follow for a newbie like me who is unfamiliar with the storyline and it’s characters. This story picks up with the the major crimes squad of Sheffield, 9 months after a terrorist on a rooftop with an assault rifle killed or maimed multiple members of the team. Lead DCI Matilda Darke was also seriously injured in the incident. Having suffered a bullet to the head, Matilda has crawled back from the brink of death to lead a fractured team not fully whole. As if the day to day isn’t enough, Matilda has a hot case with the discovery of a particularly vile serial killer who is targeting prostitutes. As soon as they start to track this murderer the deaths seem to become more violent and more brazen. With many people, including her own team questioning her ability to lead, Matilda must juggle the day to expectations of leading Sheffields most elite team while also chasing a modern day monster, while also juggling her ongoing recovery from a bullet to the brain. This story is always exciting and interesting, up to the last page, where we are left on a cliffhanger.I can’t wait to see what happens next with this team and it’s leader, Ms Matilda Darke. Review posted to Goodreads, Litsy, LibraryThing, Facebook, Instagram and Amazon.
What a great introduction for me to the Matilda Drake series. This is number 8 in the series, but my first foray. Any background to Drake is explained, so can be read as a standalone, but I definitely feel it would have enhanced by enjoyment if I had read the series from the start. I would definitely like to go back and read these, if this book is anything to go by!
I loved Matilda, she is a superb character to have a series around!
The plot was extremely gripping, making me gasp out loud several times, and I was hooked for the majority of the book. Even in the 'quieter' pages, it wasn't for long, and I was soon brought back in, until it didn't let up until the end.
Wood is a new author for me, but I can't wait to read his next book. He is a fantastic author and I highly recommend this one!

Also posted to my Instagram and Facebook accounts Curling Up with a Coffee and a Kindle
After the traumatic events of book 7 I wasn't sure whether I was going to continue with this series but curiosity and my love for the characters made me come crawling back. Was it worth it? I don't think so.

The author loves a shock ending with a huge reveal but this one just didn't make sense to me. It all just seemed to be for the shock value. Nothing had ever hinted it could be that person.

Then what was left of the team was just a mess and didn't work. Matilda seemed to be the only one still affected and definitely shouldn't have been back at work. She bullied her way through a case and cost people their lives or caused major injury and just glossed over it.

I did enjoy the actual murder case, getting an insight into the prostitutes world and who they are as actual people. Unfortunately poor Carl's case is still being dragged out and we have yet another threatening cliff hanger ending.

Will I come back for more? Probably purely because I loved the first 6 books so so much but if it stays with this kind of pattern then I'm going to have to say goodbye to one of my favourite teams.

I received a copy of the ebook via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Absolutely grear, twisting plot with no leads, imperfect characters and blinding conclusion. Well worth the time
Thank you netgalley and the publisher for this arc
Another great book in this series
D.C.I Matilda Drake is back to work after the events of the brutal attack on her and her colleagues
But there murders to be solved
And I didn’t see that ending coming
Thanks NetGalley
I really enjoyed this book.  Great characters, an intriguing storyline and a long standing backstory which adds to the tension.  Looking forward to the next in the series.