Cover Image: The Weekend Escape

The Weekend Escape

DNF - Did not finish. I did not connect with the writing style or plot and will not be finishing this title. Thank you, NetGalley and Publisher for the early copy!
An enjoyable thriller with some twists and turns! The tension build up was well done, although the big plot twist didn't take me by surprise - however it takes a lot to catch me out! I'm excited to read more by this author
I had so much high expectation for this book to be good and unfortunately it fell a bit flat for me. I was able to predict who it was and found it hard to connect to the characters which influenced my rating.
Thank you Netgalley, HarperCollins UK One More Chapter and Rakie Bennett for a copy of this arc.

A weekend getaway reunion for six friends on a secluded island. What could go wrong?

This story follows a group of friends who, after being apart for ten years, decide to organise a reunion getaway. A weekend full of rock climbing, rappelling, hikes and drinks by the fireplace. This was put in jeopardy when an unexpected storm appears. And then one of the group goes missing after some unsettling incidences. Will they leave the island alive?

I enjoyed the premise of this book. A deserted island mystery will always have my tick of approval!
I enjoyed the unreliable narrator's, but it was a struggle in the beginning to keep them all in order.
It wasn't too hard to figure out this mystery but it was very enjoyable nonetheless.
Well paced and lots of twists.

A group of friends have a weekend away on a deserted island but things go wrong from day one of their arrival. After on of their party is injured in a climbing accident they begin to suspect each other of being out to harm everyone in the group.

There were a lot of characters to grasp and I have to say none of them were likeable. I was intrigued as to "whodunnit" but the story took too long to get to that point I'd lost interest by the end.
How can friendship survive when there are so many secrets between them.
A great read the secrets that keep you reading and the twists unfold, this is not the holiday they had planned and there is a murderer among them......
The Weekend Escape was a good read, I did want to find out what happened in the end but there were parts where I wasn’t particularly gripped by the story.
Good easy read. Easy to follow the story and didn’t see the end coming as it did. Well written and executed
This book started out strong...great descriptions of the island setting. However, I felt it went downhill from there. I wasn't able to keep track or really differentiate the women. They mostly felt one dimensional and I lost interest.
I enjoyed this book. It was a good read a little confusing in the beginning. It took me about half the book to figure out how each character was. I did find they were hard to keep track of and thought there were too many characters.

This location and set up add to the creepy factor but I feel like the author could have played that up a bit more.

8/10. Enjoyed myself.
A excellent read from start to finish.The type of story that as you guessing until the end.Well worth reading i would recommend to anyone who likes mystery novels.
I enjoyed reading The Weekend Escape, it was good fun. An atmospheric mystery thriller set on a remote island, a group of friends go away for a weekend together but soon things start to go wrong and they all start turning on each other.
Secrets, lies, and lots of suspense, this is a well written story that kept me hooked throughout.
Thank you to Netgalley, Harper Collins, One More Chapter and Rake Bennett for a copy in return for an honest review.

Six friends reconnecting on a remote island, what could go wrong? I devoured this book in a matter of hours. I loved it. It was tense and gripping. This is a perfect thriller for anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers.
I found this book rather boring; the plot was rather far fetched and were hey really a group of old friends - not the sort of reunion I was expecting; strange bunch of characters.  The ending was rather disappointing too!
The Weekend Escape is a classic thriller set on a remote isolated island with a group of friends whose destination  reunion goes drastically wrong.  Gripping, atmospheric and plenty of twists, this is a perfect book to read curled up safe and sound on the couch!

Many thanks to NetGalley for the ARC!
Were these friends really friends anymore? What was really going on? Why did they all agree to come in this trip?

Six friends on an island and they start turning up dead or injured. Who’s doing it? They all seem to be guilty yet innocent just the same.

Told in different POVs, at times it’s hard to keep them straight. It’s a story that will keep you reading just to figure out what’s happening.
I am a sucker for a deserted island mystery these days, and this did not disappoint!
It was a solid tale of friends turning on each other while on a "perfect" weekend getaway.
Just enough twists to keep me engaged and I enjoyed the mystery. Thankful for the ARC!
Rating: 4/5 stars.

“The Weekend Escape” is a solid mystery thriller by author Rakie Bennett, pseudonym of Rachel Bennett. A little formulaic, this locked-room mystery sticks to the basics, and does not bring anything new to the genre. However, it is fun and entertaining, with some unexpected twists and turns, and is very enjoyable. The author does a great job of describing the remote setting, infusing a sense of dread and isolation in the reader that progresses and worsens as the novel goes on.

Fans of thrillers based around deteriorating group friendships are sure to love this book.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book on NetGalley and have provided an honest review.*
Great book, by an author I will read more of!  Thrilling plot, great writing and brilliant characters.  Highly recommend to others.
This was a brilliant read and is being featured on my blog for my quick star reviews feature, which I have created on my blog so I can catch up with all the books I have read and therefore review.
See www.chellsandbooks.wordpress.com.