Cover Image: The Weekend Escape

The Weekend Escape

This was a very enjoyable, fast-paced And Then There Were None mystery/thriller. Seven women on an island cut-off from the outside world—is one of them the murderer or is it an outsider? Lots of secrets, action and twists. You will enjoy it!
Right from the off this book got going, and kept up the pace.

Six friends off on an adventure weekend on an uninhabited island (apart from a seasonal bird warden).

It appears that none of the group apart from the leader wants to be there and they all have their little secrets.

It tells very like And Then There We’re None by Christie, and by a third of the way through it became apparent who the culprit was, but this in no way spoilt the story.  It was full of action, fast paced and the characters were well developed, though I personally wouldn’t have gone away with any of them!

If there is any constructive criticism it is that some of the narrative was repetitive, but still a very good book.

Thank you NetGalley.
"The Weekend Escape" is perfect for those who want a thriller that will keep you in the edge of your seat. The riveting tale of estranged friends tells a story of deception and lies all the way to the very end.
What happens when you put six women together on a deserted island? Are these girlfriends really friends? When push comes to shove, who will turn on one another first?

The Weekend Escape, delivers! If you are looking for a fast paced thriller you are going to want to pre-order this book! I absolutely loved the way Rakie Bennett, narrated this novel.  The first chapter gives you a tease as to what happened and then goes backwards to tell you how they all got to that point.

The Weekend Escape is full of twists and turns and you will not see the ending coming. This book is not predictable in the least and captivated my attention early on .
An exciting, page-turning thriller, devoured in one sitting.  I particularly like the premise of six women who had been friends since school, brought together by a shared love of climbing - a refreshing change from the usual university reunion or work-colleagues-who-hate-each-other scenario.

I wasn't overawed by the writing, and the dialogue felt a bit artificial at times, but despite this the characters were well crafted and (on the whole) believable, and overall this was an enjoyable read.
Six old school friends. One murderer. An entertaining thriller.

I liked that the action with this one started immediately and I appreciated the open ending. I waffled a bit on the story, but overall enjoyed this title.

Thanks to HarperCollins UK/One More Chapter and NetGalley for the eARC of this title. Opinions shared are influenced by nothing other than my reading experience.
A group of former friends descend on an almost deserted island for a weekend of adventure and activities. Most had barely spoken since high school but all are, for different reasons, eager to escape their current lives and relive some of the fun times they used to share. Their very first event involves abseiling down the side of the lighthouse, one of the few man-made structures on the island, and very nearly ends in disaster for one of the group. Is someone sabotaging them? And, if so, just which of their many secrets does their persecutor want vengeance for?

This was a solid thriller, featuring an isolated island setting and an untrustworthy friendship group who all had something to hide. Basically, my favourite set-up for a mystery! I loved how Bennett kept a stream of mysteries consistently being revealed, which ensured I had many theories present at any one time, and that my focus was often misdirected from what was really occurring.

This was fun, fast-paced, and full of twists and turns that heightened my intrigue as I flew through the pages. I'd definitely read from this author again.
Shades of Agatha Christy's And Then There Were None.  A tales of 6 old friends on a weekend away on a deserted island.
They are then cut off by a storm.  Then strange things start to happen. It has to be one of these women or the warden of the observation post.
A real who done it.
As six friends gather to climb, hike and walk whilst on an remote island break things start to go seriously wrong. All the girls seem to have their separate issues and they don't know each other like they did when they were young so this reunion is the chance to bond again over their shared love of the outdoors. Does one of the group have an agenda unbeknown to the others or does the warden on the island, Marne have secrets of her own which connect to the group? As the weather takes a downward turn so does the weekend - this had it all, secrets, suspicion, death - pick this one up, you will devour it!
A well written mystery. Six friends travel to an isolated island to reconnect, Things start to go wrong and keep going wrong. Great characters. The ending did surprise me. I recommend this book. Thanks to NetGalley, Harper Collins UK/One More Chapter and the Author for allowing me to read and review this book.
I wish to express my sincere thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK One More Chapter for this riveting 'locked room' style mystery. The setting was atmospheric and vividly described. Six young women arrive at a small, rocky island with treacherous cliffs for a weekend of adventure, which turns into a frightening misadventure. A raging storm followed by cold weather and wild churning seas cut them off from a timely return to the mainland. Their accommodation is disappointing, lacking in heat, electricity, and no means of communicating with the outside world. The island's only inhabitant is a part-time bird warden.

The six women, once friends, have drifted apart. They have reunited after ten years when they were last all together. Some are excited at the prospect of a weekend of fun and strenuous activity, but others were reluctant to participate. The plans include rock climbing, rappelling, and similar activities they enjoyed in their youth. It begins with an accident, or maybe it was purposefully caused. An intense storm starts up that strands them on the island with no way to get help. This is a fast-paced plot with signs of impending danger and events occurring at a breakneck speed.

First, they fear that an unknown person has arrived on the island and is targeting them. Next, they suspect and blame the female bird warden. Finally, they realize that someone within their group may threaten their lives. Each woman has lied or has secrets they don't want to be revealed, guilt from past events, and long-held resentments. Stress and blame shatter the group dynamics.

It did take me a while to distinguish the six women in the group and sort them by name and personality. I wished the ending had a more clearly defined resolution.

This is a non-stop thriller with plenty of action and without unnecessary fillers. The women have no time for relaxation as their prime concern is survival. Peril and menace develop at a rapid rate with plenty of distrust and action during increasingly worsening weather.
Recommended!
It seems like vacations are the current trend in murder mysteries and this title fits right in.  It follows Lyndsey and her friends from high school as they embark on a weekend away to a small coastal island for some climbing adventures.  Of course, everything starts to go wrong almost immediately upon arrival.  One of the group falls while abseiling (rappelling) from a lighthouse and it leaves her out of commission for most of the trip.  The living quarters are not at all what they were expecting and bad weather is closing in, quickly.  They alternate between bickering and drinking and events soon turn deadly.  Will any of them escape or will the island claim six new victims?

Because of the setting, there's plenty of dialogue, but not much action except for movement between the same few locations on the island.  Keeping track of which characters go where and when they do so can get a little tricky, as the women are constantly looking for this or that, or whomever is the latest to wander away from the bunkhouse.  Once the secrets start spilling, the story really gets going.  Now there are motivations to match some of the strange behaviors.  Although there never was an explanation why Lyndsey's character eschews romantic relationships. I have no issue with that, it's just an odd trait to include with no cause or reasoning.  That's not a spoiler, she's just apparently like this and brings it up more than once.

The ending probably won't come as a surprise to most people, but it's still fun to ride it out.  Although male characters figure in the plot, they don't appear anywhere in the action, which is refreshing.  This is about these six women and their compelling relationship.  Have the passing years strengthened their bond or caused it to fall apart?  You'll have to decide that one for yourself.
The Weekend Escape is a bright new thriller that will keep you up at night, not because you are scared, but because you need to know what happened!  I speak from experience as I stayed up until midnight because I just had to finish this book.  A group of young woman plan a weekend away together to reconnect.  They were friends in high school but life pulled them different directions and now they need a weekend away to rekindle their former friendship.

This book immediately hooks you in.  Within the first scene, you will be questioning everything that is happening.  It is hard to trust the motives of everyone single person in the story, including the narrator, especially once information slowly comes to light.  Every single person is carrying some kind of secret.  But who is willing to murder for it?

Like I said, I could not put this book down and even had to have extra coffee the next day because there was no way I was going to fall asleep wondering what had happened.  I heartily enjoyed this book.  Some of the characters were lovable while some you loved to hate.  This book kept me guessing constantly.  I figured out some of the plot twists ahead of time but not so much that it ruined the story for me.  There was still plenty I was curious about.

The one drawback of this book is that I really was upset by the ending of this book.  By the ending, I am talking about the very last paragraph.  But I can overlook this fault as I enjoyed the entire trip along the way to get there.

I highly recommend this book!

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK for the complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased opinion.
Thank you Netgalley for the advanced copy of The weekend escape.
I got Lucy Foley, The Guest Book vibes feom this book.

A deserted island, a vicious storm, a murderer amongst friends…
It was meant to be a fun reunion, a chance for six friends to reconnect and relive the adventures that brought them together in the first place. But from the moment they arrive on their island home for the weekend, Lyndsey, Sonia, Bobbie, Amanda, Juliet, and Val realise that their paradise is filled with peril, and there are consequences when you try to outrun the ghosts of your past.

As everything starts to fall apart, and the friends begin to turn against one another, deep, dark secrets are revealed, and an unimaginable horror is unleashed. They came seeking adventure, but now they’ll be lucky to leave with their lives…
Just an ok read for me. I guessed who the perpetrator was and the reason fairly early on which was a disappointment but that said it had a good dynamic start and few red herrings along the way. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to review it
WELL THEN!

First, thank you to NetGalley and Publishers for gifting me with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book started off strong and just never stopped.
with Characters that were lovely and relatable, a setting that was unsettling as all heck, to a gripping story line.. I devoured this book in no time, and I am not much of a thriller reader.
I definitely recommend this book to anyone and everyone.
It is intense and incredibly captivating.
I enjoyed reading this book. It had a good story to it. I liked the variety of characters in it. It was a well written book. I hope to read more books by this author.
A somewhat predictable formulaic book, a group of friends with secrets and they are dying one by one or are they.  The unclear ending was the best part of the book but overall it was forgettable
Six girlfriends reunite for a weekend getaway on a mainly deserted island. What could go wrong? (Hehe)! When one of them experiences a tragedy, they begin to turn on each other and dark secrets emerge that threaten to tear their friendships apart. This novel moves with breakneck speed to reveal who is beyond the controversies. You certainly will want to stay away from islands for a while, or lighthouses, or jetties...ok, just stay home for a bit and read!
It starts out with a bang and I enjoyed the slow build as it revealed more clues about how the characters got to this point. It sucked me in immediately, and I didn’t want to put it down once I started. I do feel like it was similar in plot to other books I’ve read, but enjoyable nonetheless. Thanks to NetGalley, the author, and publisher for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my review.