Cover Image: The Weekend Escape

The Weekend Escape

I love, love, love myself a locked room mystery and this gave me ALL of the Agatha feels!

Six adventuresome old friends reunite on a creepfest island for a Girl's Weekend. The problem is there were originally seven friends...

Warning: I started this book at 9:00PM on a weeknight and lost the better part of the night to it because I COULD NOT put it down.

Thank you to the publisher for gifting me an early copy. It is my pleasure to write an honest review.
Lyndsey, Bobbi, Val, Sonia, Amanda and Juliet all meet up for an adventure weekend arranged by Juliet on a deserted island. From the moment they arrived on the island, things began to go wrong, when one falls whilst abseiling and one goes missing. With nobody else around on the Island except the warden, the girls soon start distrusting each other. A very tense and gripping read with a brilliant ending. I read this in double quick time!!
Twisted Threads, Deceive And Destroy…
Six friends, a remote island, a storm and so many twisted lies and threads to tangle, deceive and destroy. Jumping straight into action, which doesn’t let up until the finale, we meet the credible cast and the reader is taken on a breathless, edge of seat ride as their weekend descends into utter abject horror. Wholly entertaining, one sitting read.
It was supposed to be a fun weekend. Six women, best friends in high school, reuniting. But time changes everyone, and everyone has secrets. Lyndsay soon realizes she doesn’t know the woman her old friends have become quite as well as she used to. The weekend seems to be going great until a freak climbing accident…and from there, little by little, things begin to spiral out of control.
     The Weekend Escape is a tight thriller. Author Rakie Bennett does a wonderful job of slowly introducing us to our cast of adventures, hinting at the secrets each of them keeps, slowly revealing past events that have shaped them and brought them to where they are now…trapped on an nearly-deserted island where someone seems intent on killing them all. Bennett’s pacing, her slow trickle of information, kept me guessing as to what was going on and who was behind it all. I enjoyed the heck of the story and think it would make a fantastic mini-series for Netflix.
     I’d like to thank HarperCollins UK, One More Chapter, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review an eARC of The Weekend Escape. (4.5 stars rounded up to 5)
First, thanks to NetGalley, HarperCollins UK One More Chapter, and Rakie Bennett for the chance to read this before it comes out on October 8th, 2021.

The Weekend Escape follows the six remaining members of the "adventure club" (a group formed in high school dedicated to climbing, abseiling (or what I call rappelling), hiking, etc.) as they reunite for a climbing trip. Although the weekend was meant to bring the group back together after slowly drifting apart over the years, tragedy after tragedy strikes, making the group question if they truly know who they are bunking with...

There was a lot that I liked in The Weekend Escape. First, the setting and atmosphere were beautifully captured and really heightened the suspense of the novel. It reminded me a lot of The Guest List by Lucy Foley with a little more emphasis on the actual terrain. I also liked the pacing of the novel. The events take place over approximately 48 hours, which I was worried would either feel too fast or slow. Instead, each chapter was quite action-packed or spooky so I devoured it in a single sitting.

Here's why my rating is a bit lower (I'd likely put it at a 3.5 if I could): While this kept me fully engaged throughout, it was quite predictable. I figured out what was going on within about 20% of reading. I don't necessarily think it takes away from the suspense of the book, but it was a bit disappointing when the big reveal finally came around. Additionally, while I thought Bennett captured the complexities of high school friends as you age, the relationships between them all were hard to figure out. In this case, we were continually told they didn't really know each other anymore yet also were told of the many times they ran into each other or hung out. It became confusing to figure out the extent of their actual relationship.

All in all, I'm glad I picked this up and would recommend it to people looking for a similar vibe to The Guest List by Lucy Foley or The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager.
📚Book Review📚
The Weekend Escape by Rakie Bennett
Thank you for the ARC @netgalley and @harpercollinsuk in exchange for an honest review. This book is VERY atmospheric. The girls are on an adventure weekend on a remote island off the coast of England and things start going wrong immediately. The details of the environment were excellent and I felt like I was there! The story is told from one characters POV, Lindsey, as she  reconnects with a group of friends who all have secrets that come out over the weekend and a bond through a past tragedy. While the killer reveal was not a surprise to me after about the halfway point of the book-there were other elements of the story that kept me invested in the ending and I wanted to see who would make it off the island and if anyone else was involved. I enjoyed this authors writing style and enjoyed Lindsey's narration. 4/5 stars
I like the idea of this book and the premises. It is a great, spooky atmosphere on the island the old group of friends end up at for a weekend getaway. They have not been together as the whole group for years. One is missing, Cherry, who died during a drunken night with the group a long time ago.

A storm is brewing, the shed they are staying at is basic, and strange things start to happen. One of them dies. She has been murdered. The only ones on the island is the group of girls, and one employee.

The book is well-written, it's an easy read, but sadly I figured out whodunnit very early on, as well as why, a bit later. This spoiled the fun of reading the book, because I constantly felt like I was a step ahead of the book at all times.
I found this to be a good thriller read which held my interest throughout, it was full of suspense plenty of twists with good characters and I can definitely recommend this book.

Thank you to Netgalley and Harper Collins (OMC) for allowing me to read this excellent book.
This was waayy better than I thought it was going to be even if the final conclusion was a tad bit predictable. However, this did not take away from the rest of the story about 4 friends that reunite on a remote island for a much needed vacation and some fun. When the drinks start flowing, so do unresolved resentments and jealousies. Then a tragedy occurs. What really drew them to this island? Did one of the friends set a death trap?

If you want to know the deets, you better read this. Definitely recommended and may purchase at publishing for my kindle to re-read again.

Thanks to Netgalley, Rakie Bennett and HarperCollins UK, One More Chapter, One More Chapter for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Available: 10/8/21
The Weekend Escape starts off as a group of friends reunite after ten years for a weekend getaway.  No one, well, almost no one, was planning on murder.   You will feel the suspense building as the remaining friends try to find out who among them is the killer.
I loved the fact that, to quote a writing tip I learned eons ago, the sheriff was shot in the first beginning (basically there was a hook very quickly in the beginning that reeled me in, wanting to read the book). I greatly enjoy authors who do that well - and this was very well done. This book follows a number of characters, but the majority of the story is told from just one person’s viewpoint. Something I enjoyed was the fact that the slow secrets and issues were peeled away as like from an onion - layer upon layer upon layer - creating a great build-up. Although I figured out who was doing what, I still found it a very interesting. Two of the characters (Val and Marne) I really enjoyed learning more about. Like Val, I too enjoy research and probably know a bit more about things a bit off the beaten path. Unlike Marne, I have no interest in being a bird researcher, but reading about her learning on the job and DIY skills were rather enjoyable. Great thriller (and quick read!) and a really fun ride. 3.75 stars, rounded up to 4.
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend…”—William Blake

It’s been 10 years since that fateful day on the beach when seven friends became six…when one of their own died. Time passes and friendships wane…until the self-proclaimed leader of the group reaches out and rallies them to spend a weekend together on a remote island where they can reconnect and once again have an adventurous retreat. They say confession is good for the soul, but what these six friends discover is that it can also prove to be deadly…

Full of drama and twists, "The Weekend Escape" is a wickedly entertaining mystery! Would recommend and look forward to reading more from this author!

**I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. **
A good thriller with the fact a group of friends meet for a reunion on a deserted island. Laced with lies, deception and the past leaves you wanting to read more.
Agatha Christie's classic, Ten Little Indians has to be one of the most influential novels ever written as it gave birth to one of the most prominent staples of the mystery genre, the locked-room-mystery tale. From its publication onwards, there has been a vast number of authors who adopted the same plot premise in order to develop their own stories of murder and mayhem taking place in a confined space. The sad truth is that only few of them succeeded in re-creating the haunting atmosphere of the original while the majority remained in shallow waters simply copycatting some of the tropes that deemed Christie's book as a masterpiece.

The Weekend Escape, Rakie Bennett's debut novel, falls in the latter category as it feels that the author has compiled an array of cliches in her attempt to form a nail-biting story which is supposed to keep the reader on edge, guessing and speculating about the possible culprit and their motivation. The book fails to score points in almost every crucial aspect such as suspense building, characterization, and plot intricacy while the writing style per se is so simple that is reminiscent of an essay written by a first-grade student of English. The ending is horribly predictable even from the first 50 pages or so and the mystery is totally absent throughout the novel.

Lyndsey, Amanda, Val, Juliet, Sonia, and Bobbie are the main characters in the story, six high-school friends who reunite in order to rekindle their relationships that have been hibernating since their graduation from high school. Their weekend trip to the secluded Shell Island in the northwest of England involves a variety of outdoors activities like abseiling, rock climbing, and so on. But as they arrive to the island strange things begin to happen. Amanda gets injured during the abseiling from the local lighthouse tower and the group quickly discovers that the rope has been tampered with. With Amanda incapacitated and with a storm brewing on the outside, the six friends will begin to clash with each other as well-buried secrets come to the surface and threaten to disrupt their bonds.

Even though the Weekend Escape starts strong with the protagonist, Lyndsey, being in the hospital and interrogated by the police officers about the events in the island that led to the death of her friends, the novel quickly deteriorates to a tedious read as the first half features little action while the dialogues that are supposed to develop the characters seem artificial and pretentious. Perhaps it would be more interesting if the author chose to adopt a double timeline narrative and the reader had the chance to observe the group's relationship dynamics in the past while witnessing the change in their characters in the present. In any case, the novel's format doesn't allow the reader to appreciate the protagonists and correctly assess them.

I have to admit that I was extremely disappointed by the final result and in the end I couldn't help but think that I wasted my time on this one. There is a ton of similar novels out there that beg to differ but the lack of originality and craft renders them a mush that, sadly, dominates today's mystery genre. I truly hope that there are talented authors out there who have the necessary skills to create innovative stories, writing outside the box and respecting the readers. I want to thank Netgalley and the publisher for inviting me to read this title in exchange of an honest review.
This is my first reading of this author.

Rakie Bennett has written THE WEEKEND ESCAPE, a story of six friends on an adventure weekend of climbing, abseiling and walking, read on to find out what happened on Shell Island, an uninhabited island off the north east coast of England.  The story is told over three days and is about lies, secrets, friendship, betrayal and jealousy.

The writing is full of snappy & witty dialogue, which will enthral readers but unfortunately, for me, it had the opposite affect in the form of annoyance and in parts, my concentration was distracted instead of '' pulling me into'' the story. The beginning of the novel kept me intrigued, the middle not so much and the ending....well ????

I would recommend this novel and give a 4 star rating.

I WANT TO THANK NETGALLEY FOR THE OPPORTUNITY OF READING AN ADVANCED COPY OF THIS BOOK FOR AN HONEST REVIEW.
I love a vacation gone wrong book and this did not disappoint.
Six friends; Lyndsey, Sonia, Bobbie, Amanda, Juliet, and Val travel to a nearby island to spend a weekend climbing and camping together  - an opportunity to connect and revisit their college years and participate in their outdoor hobbies together.

From the start, things are questionable to the point of dangerous. It's not long before a rope breaks and someone is in danger. The rustic cabins are even more rustic than advertised. Someone seems to be targeting them...but why?

The writing in this novel set the scenes perfectly. You will feel that you are on this island and your opportunities for rescue are slowly running out. The characters are complex and all have secrets to hide. If you like locked room mysteries, vacations gone wrong or thrillers set in interesting venues like an unpopulated island then this is the book for you! Thank you to NetGalley and One More Chapter for the ARC in exchange for a fair review #NetGalley #TheWeekendEscape
The Weekend Escape was your typical "and then there were none" premise.  A group of old friends go to an island for a little "reunion" and someone seems to be picking them off one by one. The book held my interest and was a quick decent read. I was pretty sure I knew who the killer was the whole time but it didn't ruin the book or anything. The end wrapped everything up nicely, but on the literal last few sentences it opens up a bit of a cliffhanger. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good mystery and isn't expecting anything too heavy.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for a honest review.
One More Chapter.... Y'all made my dang month here with this amazing upcoming release! 😍

I knew The Weekend Escape by Rakie Bennett was going to be outta this world!
Obsessed with this compulsive, unputdownable thriller! I raced to the end and was NOT disappointed.
Once I jumped in, I was totally in and barely stopped to finish..
The characters are complex and wonderful. The whole atmosphere of the book was great! I love every little thing about the book....
The flow of the story was continuous and I truly did not want to put this down as it was an addicting read.
I can't wait to see what else Bennett comes up with next!
Five amazing stars for this outstanding story!

Thanks again NetGalley, Publisher and Author for the chance to read and review this amazing book!
I'll post to my Social media platforms closer to pub date!
This book started off well but I really wish this was better executed. The plot has been done so many times already and in a much better fashion too. The twists were predictable and the big reveal was no surprise.
A group of six head out to a deserted island for an adventure weekend. Not all make it back alive. From the outset we see the characters are plunged into a dreadful experience…but they have to work out who’s behind it.
The story began well and I found the atmosphere suitably claustrophobic. The accident that befalls one of the group at the start was enough to set the pulse racing, and could have been explained, but we quickly work out that there’s more to it.
The group of characters were, purportedly, a group of school-friends who’d rather lost their way and were trying to reconnect. The reality fell rather short for me. They were a disparate group, with little other than the past linking them, and there was little to suggest they would find their way to restoring old friendships after this. Some we got to know more than others, but you couldn’t trust what anyone said. It was clear things were being hidden, mainly from other characters, but it led to me feeling things were happening for little purpose and all felt a little lacklustre.
There’s a tense final section as the characters put two and two together. By this time, they’d thrown so much metaphorical mud at each other that something had to stick. It was pretty clear who was behind it and why, and really - given where they were and the things at her disposal - she should have done a better job.
Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me to read this before publication.