Cover Image: The Weekend Escape

The Weekend Escape

This book started off well but I really wish this was better executed. The plot has been done so many times already and in a much better fashion too. The twists were predictable and the big reveal was no surprise.
A group of six head out to a deserted island for an adventure weekend. Not all make it back alive. From the outset we see the characters are plunged into a dreadful experience…but they have to work out who’s behind it.
The story began well and I found the atmosphere suitably claustrophobic. The accident that befalls one of the group at the start was enough to set the pulse racing, and could have been explained, but we quickly work out that there’s more to it.
The group of characters were, purportedly, a group of school-friends who’d rather lost their way and were trying to reconnect. The reality fell rather short for me. They were a disparate group, with little other than the past linking them, and there was little to suggest they would find their way to restoring old friendships after this. Some we got to know more than others, but you couldn’t trust what anyone said. It was clear things were being hidden, mainly from other characters, but it led to me feeling things were happening for little purpose and all felt a little lacklustre.
There’s a tense final section as the characters put two and two together. By this time, they’d thrown so much metaphorical mud at each other that something had to stick. It was pretty clear who was behind it and why, and really - given where they were and the things at her disposal - she should have done a better job.
Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me to read this before publication.
Wow. Wow. Wow. What a ride!

6 friends set out on a weekend trip on an island to climb and do other adventurous things. It starts off with Amanda getting hurt while doing their first climb & they soon realize the rope looked like it’s been cut. After, it’s very clear to the group that someone is hell bent on making their weekend away disastrous & deadly. Everyone in the group is a suspect. Who can they trust? Is there someone else on the island?

Ok, I had to hide under the covers a bit for this one. But no really, how creepy! I did have a  guess on who the “bad guy” was, but it was still so chilling! All of the characters had their own distinct personalities and quite frankly none were exactly likeable, but it just worked for the story! Can we also just talk about the ending? Uhhh…YES! Love the way it ended with no definitive answers, or did it?

10/10 recommend. This book had me enthralled.  I will read more by this author. I wish I could forget this one & reread!
Six friends reunite on the deserted Shell Island for a fun weekend. But it is anything but fun for Lyndsey, Sonia, Bobbie, Amanda, Juliet and Val. First someone gets injured, then another friend goes missing. To top it off, a bad storm is brewing and their bunkhouse is in horrible condition. They can't even radio for help. One by one, things are discovered about each one of the friends and it seems that everyone has a secret to tell.

This was a fantastic book by Rakie Bennett. The premise for this story caught my attention and I devoured it rather quickly. If you like an eerie setting, a fast paced story, and a brilliant ending…then check this one out! I look forward to reading the next book from this author.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK, One More Chapter for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This review will be posted to my Instagram Blog (@coffee.break.book.reviews) in the near future.
This story features six  adventurous young women who especially share an enjoyment of climbing. Though it's been over 10 years since they all climbed together, they have gathered for a weekend island retreat to do just that. From the start, the book reminded me a lot of the movie The Descent, except instead of extreme sports enthusiasts/spelunkers, this group of ladies likes to climb. And right off the bat their troubles start when abseiling down the island's lighthouse the final member of their group falls to the ground when the rope snaps. Or was it cut? And if so, by whom? Things quickly go from bad to worse as the weather turns steadily worse, one of the group becomes ill and seems to be hallucinating (or is she), and the cabin they're staying in turns out to be way more rustic than they anticipated. Then, one of their group is found dead, and accusations and mistrust abound. Was it one of the women? Or the lone warden who lives and works on the island? Or is there someone else hiding in the rocks and the trees?
While this appears to be just the second novel by Rakie Bennett the prose felt like that of a seasoned author. From the get-go the tension builds and builds, and the plot keeps you guessing at who's responsible for the misdeeds as secrets come out and friendships are strained. Though I did figure out the culprit before the big reveal, Bennett still managed to keep me wondering for sure, as there were a few definite possibilities. I was riveted throughout the story, my only contention being I wanted to know already who dun' it just because the tension was solid all the way through. 4.5/5*
This was a very enjoyable, fast-paced And Then There Were None mystery/thriller. Seven women on an island cut-off from the outside world—is one of them the murderer or is it an outsider? Lots of secrets, action and twists. You will enjoy it!
Right from the off this book got going, and kept up the pace.

Six friends off on an adventure weekend on an uninhabited island (apart from a seasonal bird warden).

It appears that none of the group apart from the leader wants to be there and they all have their little secrets.

It tells very like And Then There We’re None by Christie, and by a third of the way through it became apparent who the culprit was, but this in no way spoilt the story.  It was full of action, fast paced and the characters were well developed, though I personally wouldn’t have gone away with any of them!

If there is any constructive criticism it is that some of the narrative was repetitive, but still a very good book.

Thank you NetGalley.
"The Weekend Escape" is perfect for those who want a thriller that will keep you in the edge of your seat. The riveting tale of estranged friends tells a story of deception and lies all the way to the very end.
What happens when you put six women together on a deserted island? Are these girlfriends really friends? When push comes to shove, who will turn on one another first?

The Weekend Escape, delivers! If you are looking for a fast paced thriller you are going to want to pre-order this book! I absolutely loved the way Rakie Bennett, narrated this novel.  The first chapter gives you a tease as to what happened and then goes backwards to tell you how they all got to that point.

The Weekend Escape is full of twists and turns and you will not see the ending coming. This book is not predictable in the least and captivated my attention early on .
An exciting, page-turning thriller, devoured in one sitting.  I particularly like the premise of six women who had been friends since school, brought together by a shared love of climbing - a refreshing change from the usual university reunion or work-colleagues-who-hate-each-other scenario.

I wasn't overawed by the writing, and the dialogue felt a bit artificial at times, but despite this the characters were well crafted and (on the whole) believable, and overall this was an enjoyable read.
Six old school friends. One murderer. An entertaining thriller.

I liked that the action with this one started immediately and I appreciated the open ending. I waffled a bit on the story, but overall enjoyed this title.

Thanks to HarperCollins UK/One More Chapter and NetGalley for the eARC of this title. Opinions shared are influenced by nothing other than my reading experience.
A group of former friends descend on an almost deserted island for a weekend of adventure and activities. Most had barely spoken since high school but all are, for different reasons, eager to escape their current lives and relive some of the fun times they used to share. Their very first event involves abseiling down the side of the lighthouse, one of the few man-made structures on the island, and very nearly ends in disaster for one of the group. Is someone sabotaging them? And, if so, just which of their many secrets does their persecutor want vengeance for?

This was a solid thriller, featuring an isolated island setting and an untrustworthy friendship group who all had something to hide. Basically, my favourite set-up for a mystery! I loved how Bennett kept a stream of mysteries consistently being revealed, which ensured I had many theories present at any one time, and that my focus was often misdirected from what was really occurring.

This was fun, fast-paced, and full of twists and turns that heightened my intrigue as I flew through the pages. I'd definitely read from this author again.
Shades of Agatha Christy's And Then There Were None.  A tales of 6 old friends on a weekend away on a deserted island.
They are then cut off by a storm.  Then strange things start to happen. It has to be one of these women or the warden of the observation post.
A real who done it.
As six friends gather to climb, hike and walk whilst on an remote island break things start to go seriously wrong. All the girls seem to have their separate issues and they don't know each other like they did when they were young so this reunion is the chance to bond again over their shared love of the outdoors. Does one of the group have an agenda unbeknown to the others or does the warden on the island, Marne have secrets of her own which connect to the group? As the weather takes a downward turn so does the weekend - this had it all, secrets, suspicion, death - pick this one up, you will devour it!
A well written mystery. Six friends travel to an isolated island to reconnect, Things start to go wrong and keep going wrong. Great characters. The ending did surprise me. I recommend this book. Thanks to NetGalley, Harper Collins UK/One More Chapter and the Author for allowing me to read and review this book.
I wish to express my sincere thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK One More Chapter for this riveting 'locked room' style mystery. The setting was atmospheric and vividly described. Six young women arrive at a small, rocky island with treacherous cliffs for a weekend of adventure, which turns into a frightening misadventure. A raging storm followed by cold weather and wild churning seas cut them off from a timely return to the mainland. Their accommodation is disappointing, lacking in heat, electricity, and no means of communicating with the outside world. The island's only inhabitant is a part-time bird warden.

The six women, once friends, have drifted apart. They have reunited after ten years when they were last all together. Some are excited at the prospect of a weekend of fun and strenuous activity, but others were reluctant to participate. The plans include rock climbing, rappelling, and similar activities they enjoyed in their youth. It begins with an accident, or maybe it was purposefully caused. An intense storm starts up that strands them on the island with no way to get help. This is a fast-paced plot with signs of impending danger and events occurring at a breakneck speed.

First, they fear that an unknown person has arrived on the island and is targeting them. Next, they suspect and blame the female bird warden. Finally, they realize that someone within their group may threaten their lives. Each woman has lied or has secrets they don't want to be revealed, guilt from past events, and long-held resentments. Stress and blame shatter the group dynamics.

It did take me a while to distinguish the six women in the group and sort them by name and personality. I wished the ending had a more clearly defined resolution.

This is a non-stop thriller with plenty of action and without unnecessary fillers. The women have no time for relaxation as their prime concern is survival. Peril and menace develop at a rapid rate with plenty of distrust and action during increasingly worsening weather.
Recommended!
It seems like vacations are the current trend in murder mysteries and this title fits right in.  It follows Lyndsey and her friends from high school as they embark on a weekend away to a small coastal island for some climbing adventures.  Of course, everything starts to go wrong almost immediately upon arrival.  One of the group falls while abseiling (rappelling) from a lighthouse and it leaves her out of commission for most of the trip.  The living quarters are not at all what they were expecting and bad weather is closing in, quickly.  They alternate between bickering and drinking and events soon turn deadly.  Will any of them escape or will the island claim six new victims?

Because of the setting, there's plenty of dialogue, but not much action except for movement between the same few locations on the island.  Keeping track of which characters go where and when they do so can get a little tricky, as the women are constantly looking for this or that, or whomever is the latest to wander away from the bunkhouse.  Once the secrets start spilling, the story really gets going.  Now there are motivations to match some of the strange behaviors.  Although there never was an explanation why Lyndsey's character eschews romantic relationships. I have no issue with that, it's just an odd trait to include with no cause or reasoning.  That's not a spoiler, she's just apparently like this and brings it up more than once.

The ending probably won't come as a surprise to most people, but it's still fun to ride it out.  Although male characters figure in the plot, they don't appear anywhere in the action, which is refreshing.  This is about these six women and their compelling relationship.  Have the passing years strengthened their bond or caused it to fall apart?  You'll have to decide that one for yourself.
Thank you Netgalley for the advanced copy of The weekend escape.
I got Lucy Foley, The Guest Book vibes feom this book.

A deserted island, a vicious storm, a murderer amongst friends…
It was meant to be a fun reunion, a chance for six friends to reconnect and relive the adventures that brought them together in the first place. But from the moment they arrive on their island home for the weekend, Lyndsey, Sonia, Bobbie, Amanda, Juliet, and Val realise that their paradise is filled with peril, and there are consequences when you try to outrun the ghosts of your past.

As everything starts to fall apart, and the friends begin to turn against one another, deep, dark secrets are revealed, and an unimaginable horror is unleashed. They came seeking adventure, but now they’ll be lucky to leave with their lives…
Just an ok read for me. I guessed who the perpetrator was and the reason fairly early on which was a disappointment but that said it had a good dynamic start and few red herrings along the way. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to review it
WELL THEN!

First, thank you to NetGalley and Publishers for gifting me with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book started off strong and just never stopped.
with Characters that were lovely and relatable, a setting that was unsettling as all heck, to a gripping story line.. I devoured this book in no time, and I am not much of a thriller reader.
I definitely recommend this book to anyone and everyone.
It is intense and incredibly captivating.