Cover Image: Nightmare in Savannah

Nightmare in Savannah

This is a coming-of-age high school story with a supernatural twist. Alexa Bowman moves back to Savanhah to live with her grandpa and meets three outsiders who decide to include her in their friendship group. All is not as it seems and the truth is slowly revealed.

This is a great read, I thought the writing was witty, acerbic and depicted the characters really well. Capturing that teenage heightened sense of being on the outside, confusion around your identity and simultaneously a complete belief in your actions. This is drawn well, giving a gothic bent to character expressions and the environment. It's atmospheric and I loved that the mean girls were mean and deserved all that they got. This book didn't shy away from the unpleasant and cruel actions of its characters and yet you still root for them.
First up a big thank you for allowing me to  read this book. Sadly, I haven't had the chance to read it. I was planning on doing so today, but then I found out that my copy expired in ASCM and that apparently the book, despite not releasing for another 3 months, has been archived... So I sadly cannot read the book. I have to give a rating though as that is how Netgalley is. So given that I love the cover, and the blurb sounds amazing I will still give it 3 stars and I do hope that I can one day read the book. :) Maybe it will be translated in Dutch (as English is hard to find in my country).
Summary from the publisher: Alexa moves to Savannah to get away from her past. Too bad her past is a Google search away and her parent’s criminal acts quickly make her an outcast. Good thing Fae, Chloe, & Skye aren’t high on the social ladder and give Alexa a group to feel comfortable in. But after a long night of debauchery they transform into the town’s worst nightmare; Fairies.

I enjoyed this comic well enough. The art was really cool, and I’m always up for a story about female friendship. The story wasn’t as fleshed out as I might have liked, but I liked the bits of queerness peppered throughout. I love that it’s set in Savannah, but I would have liked just a little more out of the story. Would definitely read more from Lela Gwenn, though.
A Funky, Jazzy Tale

This is a twisty, twitchy tale of four teenage Fae changelings who find themselves, and their powers and natures, while navigating the usual teen and high school angst. It isn't written as a "realistic" story. It is dark and strange and jumps from incident to incident as it follows various narrative arcs.

The project has a jazzy, disconnected feel. We switch back and forth from action to quiet moments of reflection. The tale is punctuated by the occasional excerpt from some sort of Fae hunter guidebook that serves as an info dump, a pause in the action, and narrative background to the story. That sounds disjointed and a bit disorienting, but it works and it adds to the energy and strangeness of the material.

The art takes some getting used to. It is all sharp lines and edge, with an impressionistic feel when the action or the emotions ramp up. It's sometimes hard, at first, to tell some of the characters apart, but once the reader warms up to how they are being represented the characters become easier to follow and more recognizably expressive.

The book screams along and is a quick read even though there's a lot packed into it. There are lots of cuts and jumps and sharp turns that the reader has to pay attention to, but that's what makes it so intense and compelling. It's a wild ride, and I enjoyed it.
Couldn't get the Galley to download correctly unfortunately. But I will probably try reading this when it is released in print.
Thank you to NetGalley and Diamond Book Distributors for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review. <i>Nightmare in Savannah</i> is scheduled for release on October 26th, 2021.

Alexa moves in with her grandpa after her parents are send to jail for embezzlement, which does not stay secret past second period, where she discovers her people so to speak. After Alexa’s secret is outed by her new school’s head mean girl she meets a trio of outcasts, Fae (a little on the nose but whatever), Skye, and Chloe who immediately adopt her into their group. Together they realize that they have powers and they decide to use those powers to get back at their local bullies and tormentors. But what kind of story would this be if somebody didn’t go too far?

If you like <i>The Craft</i> (1996) then you’ll probably enjoy this story too. I think that the fat mythology used and the journal pages interspersed throughout the book add a fun and new take on the classic trio-adding-a-fourth trope.

I really only had two issues with the story, not counting that one event really close to the end that just straight up sucked so I guess three issues, whatever. The first one: Alexa looks like she’s in her mid-thirties, I was shocked to find out that she’s in high school. And the second one: This love triangle between <spoiler>Skye, Alexa, and Lucas</spoiler> got real old real fast especially because the center point made it clear from the beginning who they wanted to be with. Y’all already know about the third one but I don’t wanna spoil it for you so I won’t say anything else about it.

I wouldn’t say that this book is inappropriate for younger readers, but it does have the lightest dusting of mature themes (specifically drinking and the mention of sex) so if I had to give a limit then I would say it’s best for readers 14 and up, but really I think anyone can read it and enjoy it.

All things considered, I enjoyed this graphic novel; the art was beautiful, the story was fun, and it’s being released just in time for spooky season. I would definitely recommend picking this up.
I could never download this book. That’s sad. I believe there was a problem with the platform, so I don’t blame the author or the publisher.
Since I’ve never read it, I can’t give my opinion. That’s why I’m choosing a neutral rating.
A fun read with LGBTQIA+ rep, which is always a plus in my book. The art style was awesome, but the pacing was off for me. I know graphic novels tend to run on the faster side, but this was just a little bit too quick for my liking.
Disclaimer: I was given an eARC of this book by Diamond Book Distributors via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love the art style of this graphic novel and the LGBTQ+ representation.  However, I felt that it moved much too fast even for a graphic novel which made everything feel very rushed.  I just couldn't connect with the story.
This book looked right up my alley… a shame it is not working properly to let me read! I do want to check this out when it’s available.
It was a good story, the characters, like myself, don't really like going to school (the amount of time they skipped is impecable), but that's not what the story is about.

I enjoyed it, it was a quick read, dark and with LGBTQ+ representation. For me it was a fun read, even though the main people could annoy me sometimes.

Thank you NetGalley for giving me a copy of this in return of my honest review!

(Not book related, but I had a really hard time downloading this to my computer, and the only place I could read it was so bad I put off reading this just because trying to use the app gave me a headache.)
Alexa moves in with her grandfather after her parents are sent to jail. Whilst Alexa quickly makes friends at school, her grandfather's new girlfriend is not quite what she seems. Neither is Alexa or her friends for that matter; they are changelings.

Good things:

1) The colour palette used was perfect for the genre and added to the atmosphere of the story.
2) I loved the LGBT theme in this book as well.
3) The art is great!

What needs improving:

Basically, the pace! It felt rushed and I had no idea what was happening all the time. I didn't know who they were after and why and it suddenly switched. I didn't know how the grandfather's girlfriend was linked in with them all and it just got too confusing. I also didn't understand what happened at the end and it was not well-explained.
Nightmare in Savannah is a fun, kooky take on fairies. Honestly, it was a nice book to read especially with how fast it moves. It kept me interested every step of the way.

The illustrations weren't my favourite style, but they work with the story. It's just a personal preference or taste of mine that it conflicts with, nothing more.

Three out of five stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and Diamond Book Distributors for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.
Whoa. This was dark and delightful, with an f/f storyline!!! I'd absolutely recommend this. Fairies are to be avoided at all costs. But what if you never new they existed...

Alexa is forced to move to Savannah to live with her grandpa after her parents' arrest. While immediately harassed by the popular cliche, Alexa falls in with the outcast girls and quickly finds out they have more in common than expected. But as powers shift and grow, Alexa must decide who she is, who she loves, and what she's willing to do.
I sadly didn't get to finish this due to having troubles with Adobe Digital Editions, but I still got to read around half of it!

I enjoyed the story, and I'm always down for more darker stories like this (both in terms of the story itself and the artstyle). It wasn't my favourite artstyle tho, but that is more about personal preference than anything else! It was also a bit too quick for my taste (pacing wise), and I wish it lingered on some moments longer to let it sink in and have more of an impact. I think it would definitely have improved the story a lot for me!

I have chosen to give this a 3 star rating, since I never got to read the ending. I think I would give it more of a 2.5 star overall tho
Wow just wow that was so good. It kind of gave me The Craft vibes but with Fae's. I loved the whole thing the charecters, the polt and the story. I wish there could be more for this books.
Nightmare in Savannah is a mysterious graphic novel about fairies, dangerous creatures who steal children and put look-alikes in their place. The story follows Alexa, who has recently moved to Savannah to live with her grandpa after her parents are sent to jail. However, there is something off about the group she begins to hang out with, something that may change her life permanently.

I’m not going to lie, I was confused for a lot of this story, but the art was so beautiful that I still really enjoyed my time reading it. The color pallet used made everything so vibrant and creepy at the same time; I really liked it! I keep looking at the ending of the story, not really sure about what actually happened, but regardless, I really liked Nightmare in Savannah.

A huge thank you to NetGalley and Diamond Book Distributors for the ARC of Nightmare in Savannah!
I was drawn to this title from the description, and while I think it followed through, there were still a few aspects of it that I wish were developed more. The pacing was quick, which was fine, but I tend to prefer more character driven stories, and the quick pacing didn't leave much room for character development. The characters blended together a bit for me, and I wish I had a better idea of the main character's motivation. Illustrations were beautiful, and the coloring especially helped set the mood.
I had high hopes for this graphic novel, the story seemed compelling and the art was absolutely gorgeous, however, I ended up not enjoying it as much as I hoped to. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t hate it by any stretch of the imagination—it was entertaining enough—but I also didn’t love it.

My main issue with it was the pacing. It was really fast at times, to the point that I thought I’d accidentally skipped pages, and I was extremely confused as to what had happened. This, for me, got worse towards the end. It was hard to follow what exactly was going on and how everything tied together. The story was compelling enough, so I think it’s a shame that it suffered because of the bizarre pacing.

On the other hand, I really loved the treatment of the different characters. I do not believe any of them were especially lovable, but they still felt rather real. The typical themes relating to adolescence were treated in a fantasy setting and because of that even brought to the extreme, but they still felt very relevant. Additionally, I appreciated how the characters’ different identities were addressed: it was never a big deal and it was simply mentioned in passing, without it needing to be a whole conversation or plot point.

Finally, I need to mention the art, because it was probably my favourite part of this. The red/pink/purple colour palette works perfectly for this, and it makes the art style even more mesmerizing. At times, it becomes even creepy and uncanny, and the colouring is used to perfection to bring forth that feeling.

All in all, despite this not having been my favourite read, I’d still recommend it. It’s a super fast read with some creepy elements that is worth a shot—even if it’s just to enjoy the fantastic art. However, I do wish the issue with the pacing had been resolved.
Alexa moves to Savannah to live with her grandfather as she wants to not be known as the daughter of criminal parents.  She starts school in the middle of the semester where she gets stared at and ignored.  Finally, a class mate tells her to forget those classmates and go out with her and her friends after school.  They will have fun.  It was so much fun, she didn’t get home until early in the morning.  She finds out about fairies as they are fairies but then Alexa discovers that she is a fairy too!  She learns that one of them may become the queen of the fairy realm.  Meanwhile there is a hunter’s guide to hunting fairies as they are evil.  Unknown to Alexa, there is a Hunter in Savannah.  Who is it?

Most of the graphic novel is about learning and becoming a fairy. I was fascinated to see how Alexa dwelt with the news that she is a fairy.  It’s also has the themes of romance, friendship and bullying.  The ar5work is perfect for the story.  I liked it as it was not a typical fairy story.