Cover Image: MARSHLIGHT

MARSHLIGHT

I really enjoyed this book.  It was a great storyline with excellent characters.  I would highly recommend this book as it was a great read.
This is a Detective Matt Ballard 4th in the series. Matt and his wife Liz are looking forward to her cousin Christie coming to visit. Christie does research for a famous author and he has ask for information about the Fens in the eastern area of England. She meets people in the area and some are good while others are not.
This was a very informative mystery. The glossary in the back is the most comprehensive that I have came across in a novel.
There is a lot of history about the area which I loved.
Joy Ellis is one of my favourite British police procedural authors. This is the fourth book in the former DI Matt Ballard and Detective Liz Jones series, who now work as private investigators. They are based, as all her books are around the rural fenlands of Lincolnshire. Matt and Liz are currently working on a missing person case, an old friends sister has disappeared without a trace. Liz’s cousin arrives to stay with them while doing some research for her job and takes an instant dislike to Gina, she local bookshop owner. There are plenty of twists and turns in this fast paced well written story. Highly recommend.
I have read and enjoyed this author before,  this was no exception.  Interesting story that wove in and out with a wealth of characters and a beautiful setting.  would recommend,  thank you.
Liz Haynes and Matt Ballard have now retired from the police but when Liz's cousin Christie convinces them that a manipulative bully of a woman is dangerous they have to take a look at her. At the same time they are investigating the unsolved murder of a young woman four years earlier so their time is well occupied.
This is a wonderfully evocative  story featuring characters old and new. The description of the insidious, controlling Gina is so vivid you can almost imagine you know her from your everyday life. As always the marshlands of the fens appear hauntingly casting a backdrop over the story. Really enjoyable with a brilliant ending.
This is book 4 in the Det Matt Ballard series, and Matt and Liz are starting to find their grove with their retirement and private investigation service. Or are they? Both feel unsettled, for different reasons, to Christie's arrival offers them a chance to take a step back and reassess. When Matt decides to do a fav for his friends still on the force, he has no idea how a cold case will suddenly tie in with the new friends Christie has made in the Fens. It's a twisty tale, that offers some freshness into the series, by adding Christie, and her point of view. This book can be read alone, and then go back and read the previous books in the series.
Another instalment in the Matt Ballard series and a slight twist on the usual format. While Matt and Liz are here they take more of a back seat this time and we are introduced to a new character Liz’s cousin Christie who I hope we’ll see more of as the series progresses. Again more intriguing mysteries set in this unique part of the world
This was the fourth book in the Matt Ballard Series, and it is a series I have enjoyed. However in this book he actually played quite a small part in the book and I would like to have seen more of him and the police case he was investigating on.

Overall I did enjoy this book and more so as the book went on, although it did take me a while to get into the book. There was an interesting story in the book tied to the power and mind games some people have over other more naive characters. I enjoyed spending time with the main character in the book and was certainly rooting for her as the book progressed. This definitely had an atmospheric back drop to it which was an interesting feature of the book. This book certainly left an open question which might be developed further in future books in the series.

I would recommend the book but it wasn’t my favourite book in the series, or even of the books I have read by Joy Ellis, however I would still recommend it and the authors to anyone who enjoys mystery books with a atmospheric feel to them. Overall I would rate it four stars.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for providing a copy of this book for me,  for an an open and honest review.
As much as i wanted to enjoy this book i could not concentrate on the plotline, too much going on and quickly lost interest , although what i did read was very good i could not gripped enough
Now here's a author that just amazes me every time I read her books.....Marshlight is the new psychological thriller from bestselling author and British Book Awards Crime & Thriller of the Year nominee Joy Ellis.
WoW what a brilliant book this was.......I loved it. This is the fourth book in the DCI Matt Ballard series and this series just gets better and better.
When PI Matt Ballard and his DS Liz Jones retire from the Police force However, it does not mean its gonna be a quiet life for them!
Then, Liz's cousin Christie comes to stay and she takes an instant dislike to the local bookshop owner, Gina. Christie is convinced that Gina is manipulating everyone around her.
When their old friend’s sister disappears without a trace late at night on the Misty Fens Marshes and there is no sign of foul play, however she's been acting very peculiarly.

Can Matt and Liz uncover the truth in time before someone else disappears?

This book is Full of big twists and turns throughout which had me gripped from the very first few pages. Joy I loved it.

This book was a breath of fresh air!

Big 5 stars from me.

Big thank you to the author Joy Ellis, Joffe Books and Netgalley for the digital copy of this psychological thriller, crime fiction. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased.
What a fascinating read.! This book is described as a thriller, and I couldn't agree more.  There are elements in it of psychological suspense that I don't usually find in the mysteries I read.  I highly recommend this book to other mystery and thriller readers.
Another excellent book by Joy Ellis which I thoroughly enjoyed like all her others.    This book keeps the reader enthralled until the last page and I would recommend this novel (and all her others) to all who like a good mystery.
Thanks to NetGalley, Joffe Books and Joy Ellis for the ARC in exchange my honest review.

In fact, I love every book written by Joy Ellis and those are wonderful and excellent to read. This book is the fourth book of Matt Ballard series. In this story, Matt and Liz involved a missing person case with their private investigator business. Actually, it's a mystery rather than a police procedural novel. It's definitely unputdownable and the characters in this book are very well developed and intriguing. Especially Matt and Liz, they are a wonderful and perfectible couple. I like them very much. However, it's a bit slow at the beginning but soon the crime occurred drawing me into the story. In the end, I am so shocking and there was a unexpected finale waiting for you. Really very enjoy this book. I would say Joy Ellis never disappoints her readers. Highly recommend.
Book 4 in a series I have really enjoyed following. I have not read a book by this author that I haven't liked. Joy Ellis is a first class writer and delivers an unputdownable read with each and every book. Engaging the readers to the point you really do feel you are part of this story, the settings and descriptions are brilliantly realistic.
Amazing characters that you just can't help but like. (well most of them). (*-*)
You could get away with reading this as a standalone, but personal preference would be that you read th books in order.
DETECTIVE MATT BALLARD
Book 1: BEWARE THE PAST
Book 2: FIVE BLOODY HEARTS
Book 3: THE DYING LIGHT
Book 4: MARSHLIGHT
A brilliant easy to follow story line, A great mystery to keep you guessing.
I have been a fan of Joy’s work for a while now.  I haven’t quite caught up with everything that she has written but I am getting there.  I especially love the series featuring Detective Chief Inspector Matt Ballard or former DCI Matt Ballard as he is now. ‘Marshlight’ is the fourth book in the series and it is another corker of a read and then some.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘Marshlight’ but more about that in a bit.
As with all of Joy’s books, the fact that Joy’s name was on the cover was enough to grab my attention and draw me in.  As soon as I was able, I grabbed a copy and hibernated until I had read the very last word on the very last page.  To say that reading Joy’s books become extremely addictive is a huge understatement.  I couldn’t turn those pages fast enough as I became ever more desperate to find out who the perpetrator was and whether or not Matt would make it to the end of the book in one piece.  I became so wrapped up in the story that I lost all track of time and just how quickly I was getting through the story.  All too quickly I reached the end of ‘Marshlight’ and I had to bid farewell to Matt.  I found ‘Marshlight’ to be a gripping read, which certainly kept me guessing and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout.
‘Marshlight’ is superbly written although in my opinion, all of Joy’s books are superbly written.  She has a way of creating lead characters who are impossible to dislike and making them sound so realistic.  For me the story hit the ground running and maintained a fairly fast pace throughout.  I love the way in which Joy Ellis makes ‘The Fens’ come alive.  I feel as though I have a real feel for the area despite never having visited.  Joy makes the reader feel as though they are part of the story themselves and at the heart of the action.  That’s how I felt at any rate.  Reading ‘Marshlight’ felt like being on a scary and unpredictable rollercoaster ride with several twists and turns along the way.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘Marshlight’ and I would definitely recommend this book to other readers.  I will certainly be reading more of Joy’s work in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
I really like Joy Ellis's writing and this book did not change my thinking. Christie is a cousin to Liz and in the Fens to research a book for the author she works for who has decided this is his last book. Liz and Matt are working at their PI business and doing well. Christie has met some of the locals in the area. Christie has made friends but there is the owner of the local bookstore who she really can't make a friend.
There are some local deaths and missing person that this lady seems to be connected to as far as they can tell. Gina has control over three people who are so nice. To the heart ache of their family and friends. As always much going on through out the story.
A joy to read as usual with this author. Well-defined characters, lovely descriptions of the Lincolnshire fens and eerily described marshlights. Matt and Liz, now PIs, are a little tired of finding lost dogs/children and errant spouses so the visit by an old friend, Christie, is just what at least Liz needs. Matt gets involved with a case helping the police and that's something for him to get his teeth into. Lost children, a very manipulative woman and a variety of local characters keeps up the suspense to a satisfying ending. Thanks to NetGalley and Joffe Books for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
This is the latest in prolific crime writer Joy Ellis's Fen based series, featuring former police officers, DCI Matt Ballard and former Sergeant, Liz, who now run a PI agency.  Here, they have been looking for the missing Amy, who prior to her disappearance had been behaving strangely, she is the sister of their friend, Frances Morton, but have been struggling to get anywhere.  Thankfully the police have them looking into a cold case, the murder of a local woman, Lindsey Harrison.  Liz invites her cousin, Christie, to stay, Christie loves the Fens, but takes against the local bookshop owner, Gina Spears, a volatile, controlling and manipulative woman.  With another disappearance taking place, this is a engaging crime read, with a wonderful sense of location with the Fens, so atmospheric and teeming with its folklore and legends.  Many thanks to the publisher for an ARC.
Gripping, atmospheric and with a twist readers simply will not see coming, Joy Ellis’s Marsh Light is another top-notch page-turner from this much-loved writer.

When Matt and Liz had retired from the police force, they had been looking forward to leaving the stress of catching criminals behind for a quieter life. Unfortunately, reality seemed to have other ideas in store for the two of them as they’ve found themselves forced to don their investigating cap on yet again. When the sister of an old friend goes missing, nobody suspects that there is anything untoward…even if she had been acting rather strangely prior to her disappearance. Matt and Liz cannot help themselves and begin to look into this case, even if they have their hands full with the arrival of Liz’s cousin Christie who has come to stay with them for a couple of weeks.

Christie takes an immediate dislike to local bookshop owner Gina. Christie isn’t the kind of person to be so unfriendly towards anyone. Is there more to this disagreement than meets the eye? Christie is convinced that Gina is manipulating everyone around her, leading Matt and Liz to wonder whether Christie is onto something or whether she seems to be doing her utmost to keep her new friends at arm’s length. Nobody seems to be taking Christie seriously – until another old friend disappears on the Fen marshes late one night.

It’s up to Matt and Liz to get to the bottom of this case. But will they manage to uncover the shocking truth? Or are some secrets better off dead and buried?

Crime writing supremo Joy Ellis is onto another winner with Marshlight which is a compelling slow-burn of a novel that builds to an intense and terrifying crescendo that will keep readers engrossed all through the night. The strong sense of place and Joy Ellis’ gift for creating brilliantly nuanced characters will keep readers eagerly turning the pages as the tension and suspense intensifies leaving them desperate to find out what is going to happen next.

Deftly crafted and superbly plotted, Joy Ellis’ Marshlight is an enjoyable thriller not to be missed.
My thanks to NetGalley, publisher Joffe Books, and author Joy Ellis for the electronic review copy.

Now, I have read all of Joy's books in this series starring Matt and Liz and set in the Lincolnshire Fens.  All are excellently atmospherically portrayed, all having really well-rounded characters and good plots.  However, for Marshlight, I do feel a little disappointed (having all the previous books to compare to): it's a slow read and in places felt rather tedious and repetitive in both environmental descriptions and "what's the best thing to do" passages of musings by the main characters.

Both Matt and Liz, in their own ways, appear to be becoming disenchanted with the mundanity of some of their PI work since retiring from the Force.  Their latest case of trying to trace the whereabouts of their friend's sister Amy has met with a dead end, but then their lives become more interesting.  Liz's cousin Christie comes to stay in order to research her employer's new book and Matt's previous boss offers him work to investigate suspects in a 4yr-old cold case involving the murder of Lindsey Harrison.  Liz spends time introducing Christie to the locals and places of interest concerning the superstitions and folklore surrounding the Fens and their strange phenomena.  In the process Christie begins to make friends, in particular Tom and Delphi at the bookshop and Jane at her art gallery.  However, she takes an instant dislike to the bookshop's owner Gina Spearman.  She gradually concludes that Gina is a master-manipulator - blighting her friends' lives.  She's determined to save them - but at what cost?  Despite warnings from Matt and Liz Christie is determined to do something - with unforeseen consequences.

This, I'm afraid is really slow and, quite frankly not a patch on previous books.