Cover Image: Fight Like a Girl

Fight Like a Girl

I am not a big fan of YA, but I am a big fan of Sheena Kamal so I was excited to get an advanced copy of her newest book. It tells the story of Trisha who is a fighter and dealing with a lot of family drama. It’s a good story that really drew me in. There were a few plot points that were confusing to me, especially as the narrator told us more about  a certain evening in question. But I enjoyed reading this!
This book was absolutely fantastic. I've already added it to our list for order this year and will recommend it to students.
▪️!!TW!!: Physical and Emotional abuse.▪️
A quick and fast paced read is a thrilling read full of action, mystery, and a sense of overcoming impossible situations. The story itself is a little wild, and touches on a range of topics, physical and mental abuse, facing and overcoming tragedy, and finding one’s place in the world. Trisha is a girl full of anger and emotions that she eventually finds an outlet for through kickboxing, and I liked that while there is a brief romantic interest, he is not the focus of her journey or her growth. In fact I found the love interest a little dull and one dimensional with very little personality and nothing interesting about him except the fact that he smells like cologne. Trisha is a very relatable character, and I really liked that while she knows that family does not equal perfect, she does eventually come to realize that blood does not equal family.
What I would say is one of my favorite things about this book, is that it is the perfect example for “don’t judge a book by its cover”. This is not a story about girl who learns how to physically fight, although you of course get to see Trisha’s boxing career effect on her personal life. Overall this is a story about the struggles and the fight of everyday life, about testing your limits, and facing life with fierceness and perseverance.
If you loved A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder and The Family Upstairs, I have no doubt you will enjoy Fight Like a Girl.

♥️Thank you so much @penguinrandomca @penguinteen and @netgalley for my E-Copy!!! ♥️
3/5
Fight like a girl is a quick read that definitely leaves an impression on you after you finish reading it. Even though the writing style wasn't my favorite and the plot did feel a bit rushed at times I still did enjoy reading. Overall I would recommend this to those who are looking for a fast quick read that has a bit of a mystery aspect towards it.
I really wanted to love FIGHT LIKE A GIRL because I was under the impression that Trisha was going to be such a badass main character, being that she's into martial arts, but I ended up just being kind of annoyed by her. I found the writing to be a little confusing and even kind of choppy at times. I thought the little pieces of Trinidad culture were so fun and informational. I also wish it was a little bit longer because I feel like the length/fast pace was what made the writing confusing. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes thrillers and books about martial arts, but it just wasn't really for me.
I don't really know how to describe my feelings towards this book other than, this read like a Wattpad book from 2016 and I'm an ao3 only user. The cover was super pretty though.
a fairly enjoyable quick read with interesting themes and unique challenges tied to the main character; i wish it were a bit longer, but the pacing was done well enough to where it makes sense for it to be short and not linger.
Trisha is a fighter.  She lives for the gym and training. Living with her mom while her dad lives in Trinidad and visits infrequently.  When he is in town, abuse and fighting ensues at her home.  Trisha tries to avoid this be being away as long as possible. When Trisha’s dad dies unexpectedly, Trisha’s mom seems at peace with what happened.  But it doesn’t all add up. Can Trisha figure out what’s going on and learn who she is in and out of the ring?  Excellent story, page turning, and characters you are invested in by the end of the story.
I liked the premise of this book, and I really wanted to like Trisha, but found myself more annoyed than empathetic with her character. I think the writing style pulled me from the story and I often felt like I was being preached at. I wanted to love this one, but between Trisha, the meandering plot and a lack of depth, this wasn't one I enjoyed. I did like seeing a girl in the ring tho, and that cover drew me in right away!
I'm so disappointed with this book because I wanted so badly to love it. It had so many things that I usually enjoy in a book - mixed martial arts, a female protagonist devoted to her dreams, and a thriller subplot - but something about it just fell short for me. It's possible that it was just due to the length, as 272 pages is fairly short to accomplish all of these elements, but it's more likely due to the disordered eating that such a sport involves. For me personally, that's a trigger and I wouldn't have read it if I'd known it would be treated in this way.

*Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Random House Canada for the ARC in exchange for my honest review*
I wish I could say Fight Like A Girl was enjoyable. The main reason why I didn’t like this book was the author’s writing style. Maybe because it’s a debut? I don’t know. I didn’t really like the main character either. Overall, this book just wasn’t for me.
Thank you netgalley for this ARC in exchange for my opinion.

Fight Like A Girl is a quick read about a young fighter who is dealing with the loss of her Dad. Trisha is no stranger to violence and dysfunction in the family. Trying to be different and not follow down the same path she devotes her self to her local gym as a fighter.

This story is not something I would normally read and though it was not my favorite read it was still good. I think mostly is was okay for me was because I can't really relate to her. I have a very traditional family and I've never had to worry about single parents, or physical or mental abuse from family figures. I've never had to find an outlet to take my anger and aggression out in a constructive way. I will also say that the romance aspect of the book even though its small is probably the most annoying part. Jumping into a relationship is not a device for broken people to be better and to heal. They need support yes and clearly that was something Trisha was lacking but what about a good strong friendship?
I was a huge fan of this book. I thoroughly enjoyed the familial relationships and how they were presented. I thought this book handled some heavy topics really well. I also loved that I was able to connect with a different culture in a new way. I thought Trisha was one of the strongest heroine's I've ever read.
Fight Like a Girl is the story of Trisha, a promising Muay Thai fighter who is no stranger to violence and toxicity. With her abusive father in and out of her life, Trisha has enough scars to go around. When her father dies under mysterious circumstances, she is met with a brief reprieve, only for events to start spiralling even more out of control.

Fight Like a Girl is a unique book with a story that I can't say I have read anything like before. Trisha is a complex main character who deals with a lot, yet channels the worst of everything into her fighting. Her family is the definition of complicated, and the book chronicles the cycle of abuse in it's own distinctive manner. The book is very brief, and while the entirety of the plot is interesting, I felt like many parts could benefit from more time and development. Fight Like a Girl is a good debut, and I'm curious to see what the author writes next.

Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Random House Canada for this ARC; this is my honest and voluntary review.
I think that this was a really quick read but ultimately, I didn't find myself connecting to the characters.
3.5 stars rounded up to 4. Very quick read, with realistic problems, and Trish is life!! I would recommend it if the synopsis intrigues you.
I thought the book was fairly decent. It was fast paced for a short book so if someone is in a reading slump and wants some mystery novel, this would be the book I’d recommend. I thought it was interesting watching a character deal with the death of a not so loved one and how it affected them. Even though you want to feel empathy for Trisha, it’s hard when she could do so many things to fix the mistakes of her family. I enjoy mystery books but this one was a tough pill to swallow since you really don’t get closure, more of an ambiguous ending that makes you feel bad for Trisha that she may never deal with her emotions.
This story genuinely took me by surprise with its fast pacing and dark story. I expected this to be a standard contemporary tale about grief and how we process it differently. However, I got a thriller, and I could not be more pleased. This book is dark, and bloody, and still raw in an emotional way. Kamal did a fantastic job of addressing several different issues, without ever making the plot lull.

Overall, this book took me by surprise. My only criticisms was that because it was so fast paced, there was some overall plot parts that got confusing. It was hard to always know what was going on and when, especially with the illustrative paranormal happening. I enjoyed it greatly and appreciate that things weren’t wrapped up with a shiny “everyone learned a lesson and is a better person now” bow.

Full review will be posted on my blog on November 12th, 2021.
This is a very unique read.  Trisha is a very special girl. She is an individual. She is a fighter.   When Trisha finds herself questioning her family and her life she draws strength from her training in the ring.  This is a coming of age that I haven't experienced before and I won't soon forget it.
I really enjoyed the writing of this book! It kept me turning page after page! I found myself originally drawn to this book because of the fighting aspect, but found enjoyment in the other struggles going on in her life. This was a wonderful book, and I would recommend it to anybody!