Cover Image: Capsule

Capsule

*I was able to read this book with the eARC thanks to netgalley*

Given that-- I got to ~15% from when I got the book to when it was no longer available on netgalley,

The first 15% is really good-- mystery, wtf, young adult, (older/HS) harry potter fans.

will post full review on Goodreads-- and the book on netgalley expires in a few minutes, so I wanted to give my thoughts so far :)
Capsule…a mystery that draws you in and keeps hold of you until the end. Through the characters of Jackie, Kat and Peter we get to explore how our past doesn’t define us, the notion of friendship and follow them on a crazy game quest.
Jackie is known for living in her head and obsessing over gaming. She’s renowned for shying away from opportunities to interact with others, so it comes as a shock when she gets caught up in the game Capsule.
Capsule is an app that appears on her phone one day. She can’t erase it, she doesn’t remember downloading it and nobody else can see it. The app appears on the day her Head announces the disappearance of two students, Kat and Peter. These two seem to have nothing in common and the rumours are flying. For reasons she’s unsure of, Jackie decides she wants answers.
What follows is a little confusing initially, but it’s a drama that I found myself keen to follow.
No spoilers here. Some of our questions about Capsule remain unanswered but it had a really positive message about looking beyond our expectations and opening yourself to the possibility of interaction.
Thanks to the author and NetGalley for granting me access to this prior to publication.
The most original premise I have read this year. I enjoyed this novel even despite not connecting or relating to the characters at all. I don't think this even needs to be marketed to sci fi fans solely, this was a great solid thriller.
Even though this book took me a bit to get into, it was surprisingly gripping and kept me on the edge of my seat. This was such a cool, amazing concept.
My rating: 2.5/5
If I had to describe this book in a single sentence, I would explain it as "One of us is lying but Sci-Fi"
The book hooked me in right from the beginning. The plot and the entire idea of this book is so intriguing to me. The characters are also well developed and although they can be termed as "unlikeable", they are quite realistic.

HOWEVER, I found the ending to be very anti-climactic and some questions remain unanswered. This is the main reason I gave this book a lower rating, since I'm more of a plot-driven reader, but if you enjoy character-driven books more, you'll definitely like the ending.
Overall, try giving this book a read if you want to read a unique sci-fi novel!
5/5⭐️ without a doubt. This book doesn’t only have an amazing premise, but is also incredibly well crafted! Pieces to the plottwists are given to you early on, but not enough to predict whatever’s bound to happen, which definitely made me reread a few pages after finishing it.

An app downloads itself onto Jackies phone.
“PLAYER, WELCOME TO CAPSULE,” it reads.
Right above Jackie sees Peter Moon and Kathabelle Pike , two students who mysteriously vanished a few days ago.
“THE SUBJECTS ABOVE ARE IN DANGER. COMPLETE THE LEVELS IN TIME TO WIN THE GAME. READY FOR A CHALLENGE?”

Jackie, the gamer who uses “dude”, “bro” and “guys”.
Kat, the trendy girl who manipulates people just to feel something.
and Peter, the mean loner, who writes blog posts about people from his school—not the good kind.

Kat and Peter were pretty unlikable (in the beginning). But god, were they interesting! I looked forward to Jackie’s chapters, because she’s the one the book follows. But reading Kat being a manipulative b*tch and Peter being his mean cold self… it was extremely entertaining. Especially the way they struggled with themselves.

This book isn’t exactly about the game they have to complete. Well, that’s part of it. It’s really about friendship. God, that sounds cheesy. At the end of the book we learn that you can become friends with anyone, the most hated boy, and the most popular girl. It’s the character development for me.

I’m trying to wrack my brain for something I didn’t like about this book. They were either not important or there weren’t any, because my noodle’s empty.

originality: 5/5
writing: 4/5
plot and pace: 5/5
relationships: 5/5
characters: 1000/5

(Read the full review on Goodreads)
Thank you Netgalley for giving me an E-Arc in exchange for an honest review.

Jackie, the gamer loner girl. She doesn’t have many friends, only an only buddy going by the name of Eugene. She struggles with an inferiority complex with her brother, Jay.

Peter, the boy everyone hates. He owns a blog called Moral Moon, where he posts disparaging comments about his fellow students. He’s a perfectionist. He wakes up at the crack of dawn to study. He’s also a bit of a health freak. Cutting out everything remotely unhealthy, TV, carbs, sugar, video games...  though not his blog.

Kat, the popular girl; the one everyone likes. A bit of a rebel. She’s struggled to come to terms with the way she grieves and her emotional reaction to things.

One day, Peter and Kat suddenly go missing. Their are a bunch of crazy rumours going around but the truth is much crazier than the rumours. Jackie needs to go back to the day they disappeared to save Peter and Kat from an unknown fate.

Peter and Kat are polar opposites but come together, along with Jackie for a common goal. To beat the game Capsule which mysteriously appeared on Jackie’s phone and only these three can see it.

I really enjoyed the character dynamics between these three and learning their back-stories. The characters were fleshed out and well written. I was emotionally invested in what happens to them. Their character progression is perfectly paced, as well as the entire novel. The story never felt rushed.

You know a books good if it makes you cry.

If you enjoy character driven thrillers with good twists and fast-paced plot, then this is for you.
I really loved the mystery element to this book, it kept me turning the pages and I was hooked from the very beginning. The combination of the app and the events taking place were so unique and I loved our main character Jackie. This book really caught my attention and I managed to read it almost in one sitting, the writing is addictive, the world is brutal but real and the characters are resilient.
I really enjoyed this book! I loved the game concept of Capsule and I loved Jackie, Peter and Kat as characters. The writing was amazing, I just wanted to keep reading.
This book had a very interesting concept and LOVE the cover. I love that the characters aren't super likeable but I personally felt they could've had more depth and a bit more realistic.
For me it was a bit slower paced then I'd prefer but still enjoyed.
I would definitely  recommend to maybe someone who wants an introduction to thriller sci-fi genre.
Although this novel was not for me I can see many YA readers enjoying it very much. And I cant wait to see what else this author puts out, I can definitely see big improvements for future novels.
This a wild read! Three days after two students go missing, a strange app appears on the phone of one of their classmates. Jackie seems to have been tasked with playing the game in order to help the missing students, Peter and Kat, survive. Even though there seemingly is no connection, a very strange one begins to form as Jackie makes it past each level. There are twists and turns and a whole lot of surprises!

This serves an interesting look at the consequences of gaming while also telling a very compelling story. I think students will really enjoy Capsule.
I was given a copy of this book in trade for a review by Net Galley.

I'm going to be honest, I found this book boring. Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad and it might be enjoyable to other readers but I just couldn't get into it. Which isn't something someone should be saying for a mystery/thriller. Despite my similarity to the protagonist I couldn't relate or be bothered to care about the characters.
This was a novel about friendship, wrapped into a video game, topped with strange twists of fate.

Jackie, Peter and Kat are three strangers, who go to the same high school. They end up locked into a video game with extreme consequences. They fight through levels to unlock memories, which lead to them getting to know each other.

The character building was really good. And I felt invested in each of their own personal dramas. I especially liked the character of Jackie, who had isolated herself using her computer.

The beginning went by really quick for me. The middle was a bit slower, but it picked up at the end with a few revelations about how the three are tied together.

If you like video games, adventure and great characters you’ll like this book!
A great concept which is supported by strong relationships between characters.  Don’t forget this is a YA book written by a young adult.  The cover might give you cause to think it is targeting a more mature audience.  Regardless of this, the book has a clever plot which is all too credible in this modern context.
I enjoyed this book, a quick read with an interesting and unique story. I found it a little strange that the parents were referred too as Mr and Mrs. Rather than mum/dad and some the characters were a little annoying. The writing felt very young in places, but I found out after reading the author is only 18! I would definitely read any future books by this author as I'm sure her writing will only get better.
I really wanted to like the book more than the three stars. But there were some things I had a hard time with. Such as that the parents never are mom and dad but mr and mrs. That made it sound weird. Sometimes it was just confusing and I couldn’t really follow the story.
R E V I E W ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

✨ Wow, what a great way to start July, this was exactly what I needed. A fast paced read that was easy to latch onto right from the start.

✨ The concept of this book is really intriguing and was executed very well. I started out extremely confused about what Capsule (the game) was and what it’s objective was. But as Jackie, and her classmates Kat and Peter, navigated the levels of the game the pieces started to fall into place. This was an adventure the entire time and I loved the surprise twists at every turn.

✨ Jackie, Peter, and Kat have never spoken prior to this game but are forced together under the circumstances and end up forging unexpected bonds. Each of them have some deep-rooted issue that ends up being exposed.

✨ First, I have to say that these felt like real teenagers with actual teenage problems. Very refreshing to read about healing the invisible wounds we carry around, especially the ones we aren’t aware of. The underlying themes of online versus reality were woven in quite well and saw a pretty triumphant reveal at the end.

✨ Overall Capsule was a great read and I’d definitely recommend for anyone who enjoys a good YA book.

✨ Thank you to @lostislandpress for this eARC in exchange for an honest review. Capsule releases July 10, you can preorder now!
This book made me feel something
it was was a hell of a ride and i m sad it ended
jackie adeventure started off as a means to prove she still has kindness in her .
but emded with not only kindess but understanding ,great friends and a memorable adventure with nothing and everything to lose

i came in with no expectation and found that this book is truely an amazing read
This book really grabbed my attention as it had a rather unique storyline which is a rare find.  It certainly didn’t disappoint, I’d love to see it made into a movie or even a mini series. Brilliant!
I picked this book up based on the description (and partially the cover). First of all. This isn’t a thriller. Despite the ticking clock, it’s a mystery. And it’s a soft mystery at that. It’s more three teens stumbling upon old memories that weave together to tell a bigger picture. If I had to actually categorize it, I’d call it contemporary with mystery aspects. Not a thriller.

Part of this book I would give five stars to. Most of the book fell into 1 and 2 star categories.

I absolutely loved how all of the memories wove together to tell the bigger part of the story. That was done well and I found that part of the mystery to be the most intriguing. But to counter that I hated the entire concept of the Capsule game. It was never explained in enough detail for me to understand what was going on. All of the characters just assumed they knew how it worked and made decisions based off a guess.

I liked how each of the characters had to overcome their individual problems and work together. But I hated how they were all portrayed. Especially Peter. I never felt like his actions and his personality meshed. Kat was a bit better. Jackie mostly annoyed me.

There were things I absolutely hated. I’m beyond tired of the ‘not like other girls’ trope. Jackie screams this in the first few chapters. She’s a gamer girl who doesn’t care about what she looks like but then is concerned about her appearance a few chapters later. She also judges girls who wear makeup and paint their nails. She was tiring throughout the book. She makes snap judgements about everyone then got mad when people did the same thing to her. At one point she realizes she’s been a hypocrite and then goes right back to judging people based on little to no substance.

There are about a million and one coincidences that drive the story forward and it made the whole thing feel a bit too over the top. Jackie is panicking because they’re doing something illegal and a cop shows up. They drive to a different city and they just happen to run into a bunch of people who ‘help’ them along the way.

When they told Jay about the game he more or less shrugged and jumped in to help. I’m sorry. If my sister tried to explain any of these weird things to me I’d be worried about her mental health. Or that someone was playing a mean practical joke on me.

The writing was either done well (and felt forced) or was full of weird metaphors that didn’t work at all.

Here are some examples of the metaphors and odd sentences. If you enjoy them you’ll probably like the rest of them I didn’t include.

‘...a grin smacking her face…’

‘The glass of water on his desk quivered in his presence.’

‘Jackie hadn’t noticed the goosebumps on her own arms until they disappeared.

‘Jackie’s eyes doubled in an instant.’

‘The gray sky illuminated the sacred asphalt in a spotlight.’ (I think this is just a typo - sacred vs. scarred - but I literally have no idea.

‘Kat exhaled, but her breath in the air was nothing but a visual effect. A convincing post-production edit made to fool viewers into believing something fake was reality. It was nothing but a breathy lie.’

‘Jay coughed their wandering minds back into reality.’

There are more. But I want to save room for other items of discussion.

There were some continuity errors.

At some point a girl has her hair in a bun, but a few paragraphs she runs her fingers through her hair.

Jay’s Honda magically turns into a Toyota about halfway through the book.

Peter and Kat reference Peter’s blog, then a few chapters later Peter is ‘surprised’ Kat reads his blog.

There were some serious issues with the POV. It’s in third person and mostly from Jackie’s POV. But there are times something almost omniscient slips in and the non-POV characters answer or ask questions that the POV character had been thinking about. It was jarring. I can’t find any specific examples (I guess I forgot to write them down).

The other thing that bothered me about the POV was where and when things were described. Jackie walks into her room and ‘notices’ her desk. It’s weird. I don’t walk into my room and ‘notice’ my dresser unless I’m specifically getting something from there.

The other thing that really bothered me about the POV was even when we were in Jackie’s POV her parents were still Mr. and Mrs. Mendoza. Every single parent was referred to by their last names, regardless of POV. It made me feel even more detached from the characters.

There were also strange decisions regarding descriptions. I didn’t need a full paragraph describing a single scene at the ice cream shop. What did the heater being on full blast have to do with anything else? ANd the weird cherry themed ice rink? There was also a long and overwrought description of a boy in Jackie’s class, who we don’t see again until the end of the story.

I had a weird personal issue with the idea of 3,000 students in high school living in a town situated an hour away from any other town. My husband and I talked about this at length and decided it really wasn’t reasonable (and he has a degree in city planning so he knows a few things about cities and populations). I actually interrupted him from work to ask him about this. That’s how much I was bothered by it.

And finally. My eARC happened to open on the last few lines of the copyright page. I normally never read the copyright page. And had my kindle not made this choice for me I never would have found the worst typo of all time.

The publisher is based out of Santa Jose, CA

If you have even a rudimentary knowledge of Spanish you know how wrong that looks and sounds. I tried googling it. Just to be sure. Santa Jose doesn’t exist. HOW DO YOU GET INFORMATION WRONG ON YOUR COPYRIGHT PAGE ABOUT A REAL PLACE? A place you probably live since this is essentially a self-published book (And I even checked the preview of the eBook you’d purchase through Amazon and this typo is still there).

Anyway. Two stars. Interesting concept. Misleading blurb. Okay writing with moments of head scratching confusion. Characters who are unlikeable but have their moments. And an ending that both creeped me out and confused me.