Cover Image: The Liz Taylor Ring

The Liz Taylor Ring

I seem to have read a number of these multi generational novels recently. Perhaps that is the latest fashion in fiction like when you couldn’t escape a vampire book or a dystopian future for quite a while? Thats not to say that I didn’t enjoy it, because I really did. The Liz Taylor Ring is the first title that I’ve picked up by Brenda Janowitz but I’ll definitely be adding her other books to my increasingly daunting TBR pile! (Even if it is only a virtual book pile on my Kindle I still feel guilty every time I switch it on!)

In 1978, Lizzie Morgan and Ritchie Schneider embark on a whirlwind romance on the beaches and glamorous yachts of Long Island. Over the years, their relationship has its share of ups and downs, including a nine-month separation that ends up with Ritchie coming back with a stunning eleven-carat ring—one that looks just like the diamond Richard Burton gifted Liz Taylor after their own break up. Like the famous couple, despite the drama that would unfold throughout the Schneiders’ marriage, the ring would be there as a symbol of their love…until it wasn’t.

Decades later, the lost ring unexpectedly resurfaces and the Schneiders’ three children gather under one roof for the first time in years. Tensions are high and each is eager to get their hands on this beloved, expensive reminder of their departed parents. But determining the fate of the heirloom is no simple task, unearthing old wounds and heartaches the siblings can’t ignore. And when the ring reveals a secret that challenges everything they thought they knew about their parents’ epic love story, they’ll have to decide whether to move forward as a family or let the ring break them once and for all.

The way the book is written meant that it had a very visual quality and at times felt a bit like one of those Netflix family drama series. I could see all of the characters – and their environment – so clearly that it felt like I was in there with them, desperate for a glimpse of this rock that symbolised everything that the parents stood for. As in all family dramas there are a number of secrets that emerge that threaten to pull the siblings apart, but there is something about a threat that often galvanises an opposite, or unexpected, reaction.

Supplied by Net Galley and Harlequin Trade Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

UK Publication Date: Feb 1 2022. 384 pages.
This book was just "meh" for me, unfortunately.  It might be a case of "it's not you, it's me," though!  Thanks for the opportunity to preview the title.
When I saw that she had a book coming out about Liz Taylor's ring, I had to read it. Let me say, she did not disappoint. The story centers around three grown children, the truth of their parent's marriage, and the heirloom they thought long gone. Intriguing, with multiple POVs and drama, this book hit the spot.
I loved this  one . I love her writing and the old Hollywood vibe this book spoke of .
The author is becoming a fave.
Thanks for letting me review the book to Netgalley and the publisher
There were 3 siblings and 2 of them got along but they all had their reasons for wanting to find the ring and being “damaged” from their childhood and their parents splitting up those 9 months and then getting back together and the reasons weren’t very compelling. Especially the brother, I thought his reason was weak and he also had a storyline with his husband that involved something I hate- when characters keep doing dumb things and keeping secrets etc all because they choose not to communicate a very simple thing- he found something in his husbands pocket and all he had to do was ask. There was a lack of forward momentum in the storyline, they all kept arguing and complaining and I think after so long that’s too much to expect a reader to stick with whrn the stakes aren’t high. What really made me stop was a part in the past which I had initially been the most invested in but then there’s a part where Ritchie starts keeping a journal and every day, all the minute details were read back to back to back and I just saidf nope I’m done and didn’t even skip to the end to see if they resolved things.
The Liz Taylor Ring was an unexpected treasure. An engaging family saga centers on the eleven-carat diamond that Ritchie gave his wife, Lizzie. The ring and drama faced in the story are both reminiscent of Elizabeth taylor and Richard Burton's relationship. The short chapters, multiple points of view, and alternating timelines elevate the plot as we follow Addy, Courtney. and Nathan as they discuss what to do with the ring and remember the peaks and valleys of their parents' marriage. Great read!
The Liz Taylor Ring was more than I expected. I was thinking it would be a romance, but it was more a family saga, the story of a family dealing with gambling addictions and how it affected them. The relationships that needed to be repaired, and those that needed to be exposed for what they were. The story is told in a dual timeline, starting 1978, with Lizzie and Richie’s classic love affair. Ritchie gave his beloved Lizzie the ring, after a nine month break in their relationship and they resumed a love affair giving birth to their third child, Courtney. The ring disappears with many stories to explain what happened to it. Now, decades later after both their deaths and the "The Ring" reappears. All three children are there when the safety deposit box is opened and for each of them; Addie, Nathan, and Courtney, the ring has a different significance. As the family story unfolds, we get to know all members of the family and how Richie and Lizzie affected their lives.

This was a great way to tell this family saga story. Using the 11 carat diamond that was so important to Richie and Lizzie's love story to show the families ups and downs was quite intriguing. The story is told through the POV of Courtney, Addy, and Nathan. When the ring resurfaces, these three siblings get together for the first time in years. They don't really like each other very much. They all have secrets and are all judgemental. Not knowing that the ring will reveal unknown secrets about their parents and themselves, it leads them to make a final decision about what to do with the ring as well as to either bring them closer together or destroy their relationships completely. Brenda Janowitz has written a very enjoyable book, with flawed characters that I came to like by the end. This engaging book deals with serious issues such as family turmoil, alcohol and gambling addiction, yet the story never gets too heavy. I enjoyed all the references to classic movies, especially the Guys and Dolls homage with the names of the two oldest children. A slow burn of a story, but with short chapters, it moved quickly.
Another journey through the decades following the life of a the beautiful ring that went through so much within its time only to find its true space. I love how Janowitz always brings such beauty and history to her writing where you can connect and feel for the characters and their struggles through their journeys.
I loved Brenda Janowitz’ The Grace Kelly Dress so I was excited to get her new novel: The Liz Taylor Ring, which is a story of a family, a ring, and the ties that bind them together.

Book Summary:

Three siblings. A priceless family ring. One legendary love story.

In 1978, Lizzie Morgan and Ritchie Schneider embark on a whirlwind romance on the bright beaches and glamorous yachts of Long Island. Over the years, their relationship has its share of ups and downs, including a nine-month hiatus that ends with a stunning eleven-carat ring—one that looks just like the diamond Richard Burton gifted Liz Taylor after their own separation. Like the famous couple, despite the drama that would unfold throughout the Schneiders’ marriage, the ring would be there as a symbol of their love…until it wasn’t.

Decades later, when the lost ring unexpectedly resurfaces, the Schneiders’ three children gather under one roof for the first time in years, eager to get their hands on this beloved, expensive reminder of their departed parents. But determining the fate of the heirloom is no simple task, unearthing old wounds and heartaches the siblings can’t ignore. And when the ring reveals a secret that challenges everything they thought they knew about their parents’ epic love story, they’ll have to decide whether to move forward as a family or let the ring break them once and for all.

I loved this one! If you like this genre, and if you enjoy references to Elizabeth Taylor movies, you will definitely enjoy this one!
Thank you for my copy and for making me part of the tour!
This read was soo good! Thank you to Harlequin, the author and NetGalley for the review copy! Brenda’s last book, The Grace Kelly Dress was absolutely amazing so, I knew this one would be equally as good…and, I was right!

This story follows a set of parents and their children at different years in their lives. The Liz Taylor Ring is the sole focus, where it goes, whom it goes to and what actually happens with it. The parents, Lizzie & Ritchie fall madly in love but, have bumps across their lives in part to Ritchie’s gambling. Their children, Addy, Nathan and Courtney are summoned to the Cayman Islands after Lizzie’s death. Apparently there is a safe deposit box that has been damaged but, they have no idea about what the box even contains. Is money what moves people, love, family or none of these?

I truly enjoyed this read, it was good with drawing me in from the beginning and keeping me engaged throughout the story. I never found it to be boring or have moments of wishing I was doing something else. We’ll written, great character development and a great storyline.

I really loved it and definitely recommend it to y’all! 5 stars!
A poignant, heartfelt family drama featuring a diamond ring and romance, reminiscent of Elizabeth Taylor’s. I loved the back-and-forth style of writing as it allowed the story to be told at just the right pace. Although I couldn’t read it fast enough! Thank you NetGalley for my copy. My comments and opinions are my own.
Loved this story. I was hooked from the first page. It was a great family story. Would highly recommend this book to anyone.
Lizzie and Richie Schneider had a whirlwind relationship, starting in 1978. They separated for nine months in the 90s but when they got back together, Richie gave Lizzie a ring that resembled Elizabeth Taylor’s diamond ring from Richard Burton. Over the years the ring was lost and found, but no one knows where it ended up. Now, after Lizzie and Richie have both passed away, their three children find the ring again. They don’t know what to do with it, as it represents their parents’ love story. Addy wants it because she’s the oldest, Nathan wants it because it represents true love, and Courtney wants to sell it to pay off her debt. Some other challenges arise that threaten to break the family up forever, unless they can figure out a way to settle their differences.

This was a cleverly crafted story. The diamond ring, that is similar to Elizabeth Taylor’s famous ring, had quite a journey. It was won during card games, sold, repurchased, and lost. Each of the children had a different theory on where it went, and they were all right though they didn’t know where it ended up. The ring represented their parents’ love and made its way back to the family.

This story also dealt with some serious issues. Nathan thought his husband was cheating on him. Courtney was in debt that she was keeping secret from her estranged family. Addy was concerned with how her teenage daughters were taking risks and behaving like they were adults. They also had a history of addiction, both alcohol and gambling. All of these problems could be traced back to their parents, which in turn related to the ring.

The Liz Taylor Ring is a beautiful story.

Thank you HarperCollins for providing a copy of this book.
An enjoyable, dual timeline family saga that shines.
Lizzie Morgan and Ritchie Schneider are in love. Like any couple they have had their share of ups and downs. After a nine month break-up, Ritchie presents Lizzie with an eleven carat diamond, a similarity shared with ‘the’ Liz and Dick after their separation.
In present day with their parents gone, the three children of Lizzie and Ritchie struggle to decide what to do when their mothers lost ring resurfaces. Reliving the trials and tribulations of their parents marriage the reader gets a different perspective on the world Nathan, Courtney and Addy lived in. The ring, once a symbol of the strength and the love between their parents has lost its sparkle just as the marriage had faded over time.
The challenge of the memories, the turmoil, the secrets and the life of this family captivates the reader. The similarities of the infamous Liz and Dick and the mingling of Hollywood movies add a very special touch to this much recommended ‘gem’ of a novel.
Thank you Net Galley, the publisher and author for an ARC in exchange for an honest book review.
A dysfunctional family’s story, the story of siblings Abby, Nathan and Courtney is alternated with their parents, Lizzie and Ritchie’s love story.  Abby and Nathan have always been close, as they are 11 months apart, and as adults, they still rely on each other.  Courtney is the youngest, born after their parents reunited after a separation.  When they receive news of their late father’s bank box in the Caymans, the ring they believed was lost or stolen is uncovered, starting a rivalry of who should get the ring.  I feel the characters were not terribly likable, and the inherited tendency to addiction was handled well.  The book was just okay for me, with a couple of twists and turns long the way.  Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.
This book is great! Would definitely recommend. Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
I was intrigued by the title and cover, so I was very happy when I was chosen to receive an ARC of this book. This story is told in two timelines-the first is the romance and marriage of Lizzie and Ritchie beginning in 1978. The second timeline is present day based on the lives of their three grown children. The author does a great job of bringing these two stories together. The Liz Taylor ring is the object that brings the children together and it also brought their parents together in the past. This was a good story about love, loss and family dysfunction!
Thank you to Harlequin Trade Pub. Co. for the chance to read and review this book. All opinions expressed are my own..
As a thank you to Netgalley and the publisher ( Harlequin Trade Publishing) for providing me with an advanced readers copy I shall give an honest review of “The Liz Taylor Ring” by Brenda Janowitz. As a fan of her previous novel “ The Grace Kelly Dress”, I was eager to begin this one. This novel touches poignant romantic tropes such as second chances, epic love stories, and the discovery of a long lost family member. The story follows two timelines roughly in 1978 with Lizzie Morgan and Richie Schneider and in the present day with their three children.  Both timelines explore the significance of the ring to their love story and its significance to their parents legacy. Janowitz acknowledged the original diamond that Richard Burton gifted Elizabeth (Liz Taylor) and utilized the meaning of its significance between Lizzie and Richie. In order to know the history of the ring and its worth the siblings explore past hurt and trauma experienced first or second hand and decide their future as siblings. As well as their individual platonic and romantic relationships. In doing so explored family dynamics that have been central ( parental relationships) since the formation of their family and gave the siblings an opportunity to strengthen their bond as siblings. This is a novel that I enjoyed immensely and gave it four out of five stars on goodreads.
That cover and title drew me in, while the well-spun story kept me reading. A family drama with addiction and gambling, a diamond ring like Elizabeth Taylor's, and three siblings faced with startling revelations about their parents' marriage make this tale a winner! Out now.

Thanks to the author, Harlequin Trade Publishing, Graydon House, and NetGalley for the ARC; opinions are mine.

#theliztaylorring #netgalley
This was an intriguing family drama with a bit of mystery and romance thrown in. At first it was difficult to keep all of the different POV's and characters straight, but as things came together it wove into quite an intricate story. The Schneider siblings uncover secrets and face truths about themselves and those that they love through the course of the novel and the sibling dynamic was very relatable. Unfortunately the pacing of the story was on the slower side and I never really warmed to any of the characters. Much of the drama that is so pivotal to the plot, like Courtney and Addy's relationship, is resolved fairly quickly and easily and it felt like a let down after so much build up. The ending especially felt rushed, but it was ultimately still an entertaining novel. Fans of old Hollywood and family drama will love this one!

Audiobook Review
Overall 3.5 stars
Performance 4 stars
Story 3 stars

I both read and listened to The Liz Taylor Ring and Cassandra Campbell did a great job bringing all of these characters to life. There were times when it was difficult to determine who was speaking though and I also didn't particularly like her portrayal of Diego.

CW: alcohol and gambling addiction, discussion/suspected infidelity, strained parental and sibling relationships, financial instability, theft/loss of property, Alzheimer’s

*I read and listened to a review copy of this book*