Cover Image: The Lost Ages 1

The Lost Ages 1

Thanks to Netgalley for a digital copy in exchange for an honest review .
The art of this book is beautiful. I read this in one sitting and I would definitely recommend it.
I hope there's a sequel soon!
This is an interesting take on apocalyptic fiction. In the first few pages we learn that the apocalypse occurred in the Middle Ages and humanity hunkered down to wait it out. The real story begins centuries later, where all pre-apocalyptic knowledge has been lost and people live as nomadic hunters.

I was quickly engrossed by the story, and really liked the art. I'm looking forward to volume two.

Received via NetGalley.
The Lost Ages was an unexpected surprise that I enjoyed immensely. From page one, as a reader, you are thrust into a world that is face paced and takes all that isn't protected.

While the action is quick and in your face, the story takes time to develop and build an emotional bond with the characters in play. But once it starts happening, I was there for it.

This is one of the best stories I've read in awhile. While it's on the short side, about 60 pages, it covered everything. World creation, fragility of that world and the people in it.

The artwork and details... from facial expressions to making sure each tribe and region was unique.. was stunning.

My only real negatives.. how short the story was, because I absolutely want more.
Also, the explanation of the "rotation" of tribes and land was a little difficult to follow, but I feel that's the point. It's complicated nonsense, which is the entire reason it should change, and I feel this explanation was a motivator, to get the reader behind the epic quest ahead and why it's important.

** Thank you Europe Comics and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. **
The art of this book was stunning and far and away the stand out. I spent a lot more time pouring over the illustrations than I usually do, and I cannot wait for more in this series.
Incredibly intriguing.

Set long after the end of the world as we know in, life has begun to reform. Giving very much 10,000 BC vibes, we follow our protagonist and her clan in a desperate struggle to save themselves and change the world as they know it.

I loved this, it is definitely more mature in terms of violence- but it's a very satisfying read and wholley unlike any other Graphic Novel I have read.
The Lost Ages 1. The Fort on the Moors puts us with humanity that is plunged into The Lost Ages. In the year 1000 the world ended with an apocalypse that changed everything. So much death, starvation, fire and hell. We are seeing the humanity trying to be rekindled and people live in clans once again and fighting one another. The place is Anglia and the search for knowledge almost destroys a clan and now the survivors need to continue and find answers. I really liked the setting and it made me hate clans and the system even more than I already do and the system still exists in our world. The hierarchy, following elders and whatnot. It's still too early to see what will happen, but the journey structure feels great and how realistic this is.

The art looks wonderful and fits well with the story. We get to see the world a lot and what a nasty and beautiful place it is both at the same time. The panorama panels highlight the comic so amazingly well. This first volume still feels a little too much like running, perhaps I would've liked to know about the past and everything more. Hopefully that'll happen in the following volumes though. Interesting read surely!
Art: I loved the art and the colours for this graphic novel.

Plot: Pretty good but not super original. The world goes through a near-extinction event via, comments around 1000 years C.E. and civilization is completely destroyed. Fast-forward a few thousand years and the planet is a much different harsher environment where humanity struggles to survive.

Characters: I liked them but I wish I got to know them better, especially the leading lady, Elaine. She had some great kick-ass moments at the beginning but you didn’t really get to know her and the other characters she travels with. There was very little dialogue for the last quarter of the story, just voice over’s from Elaine, wording building, which was okay but I wanted to get to know her and her companions better.

Page Turner: Sort of. I wanted to know more so I kept reading but I wasn’t flying through the pages.

Read More: Yes, I’d defiantly want to read the next instalment.

Special thank you to NetGalley and Europe Comics for sharing this digital copy in exchange for my honest thoughts.
The story follows a post apocalyptic age where humans have to relearn about survival. They are living as separate clans where they share areas according to the season. These humans are living a cyclic nomadic lives and barely existing.
Elaine's father tries to break the cycle by trying to cultivate wheat and proposing to settle in one place. the idea doesn't work and two clans end up decimated. Now Elaine is on the run to find lost knowledge that can save humanity.

Book 1 has certainly intrigued me enough to look forward to the rest of the series.

Thank you Netgalley and Europe Comics are giving me the opportunity to read this.
I was given a digital copy for review through NetGalley.

The first installment to this graphic novel series follows a daughter of the Moor clan leader. She is a warrior trying to return the world to normal after the apocalypse in the year 999.

This was a good first installment. I liked the art style and the overal beginning of this story. I would have preferred to get to know the characters a little more before being thrown into fighting scenes. With barely any explanation of the world or story, this was a little confusing. A written introduction before the graphic story would have been a great addition.
Thanks to Netgalley for a digital copy in exchange for an honest review :)

"In the year 1000, the foretold apocalypse comes to pass, and humanity enters an age of darkness. Countless generations come and go before the sun reemerges; all of humanity's once great knowledge is lost. Now, at the mercy of roaming packs of animals, the inhabitants of Anglia have formed clans that work together in a delicate balance to survive the harsh wilderness. This is an interesting premise and it follows some of my favorite tropes. It was compelling to read the first part of the book."

The book is so short but is so FULL of story! I really loved a lot this graphic novel , even if the start is a little slow. After the apocalypse we see a "new" wild world, it follows Primus one of the clan leaders who has the secret for a better future for her family, Elaine.

It's so fast to read and the action is in every turn of pages. The artstyle is really great for this kind of stories and the creatures there are like those prehistoric animals: big, furious, bloodthirsty and ready to kill at first sight. We get to know the characters a little but at least Elaine is an interesting one, and makes me want to find out more about them all.

The ending is really amazing,  just to keep reading the next books.
First of all, the artwork in this graphic novel is absolutely gorgeous. I really loved the concept for this book - of humanity starting again from nothing and a new rhythm of life taking hold. The story flowed well and was interwoven with information about past events without detracting from the main story unfolding. Rather than a long backstory explaining the everything, we get timely snippets of history shown through the eyes and memories of the protagonist which I really enjoyed.
I read this story in one short afternoon and would definitely recommend it for anyone wanting to discover a new fantasy adventure. I hope there's a sequel soon!
The art in The Lost Ages is beautiful, and I enjoyed the world building with the flayers, tribes and different forts.

However, I was a little confused on the premise—why didn’t the group question Primus while he was leading them to the Fort on the Moor? I would have thought that the others would have recognized the route to the Fort, especially if arriving at the beginning of the cold season was punishable by death. Other than those questions, I really enjoyed The Lost Ages.

This ARC was provided by NetGalley and Europe Comics in exchange for an honest review.
2/5 Beautiful art but eh story.

Felt like I was jumping in halfway through the book but the book was only about 60 pages so I just finished it. I thought the art was beautiful but I didn't care much for the story but I know some will really like this.

A warning though for those of you who don't like religion there are mentions of the Christian/Catholic religion and God.

Disclaimer: I read this on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Dnf about 20%
Just not my style of book hard to read personally
But great and elusive story and world building
This was the first graphic novel that I have read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were a few things that could have been done differently to improve it slightly but I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes.
I enjoyed the overall story of the novel, however there were parts that fell rushed and not explained enough. I can understand that its maybe nice to have the reader fill in tbe blanks themselves but I just wasn't what the story needed. It would have been nice to bulk it out a bit, with some character backgrounds and elaborating a bit on some of the action. Overall, I enjoyed it but it seemed rushed and needed to be a bit longer for a more well rounded story.
Rating: 3.5/5

Synopsis: A few millenniums after the fall of a French civilization in the year 1000AD into the titular lost ages, modern society as we know it has crumbled and rebuilt itself from scratch. In this rough terrain follows the conflicts between Anglia and other neighboring tribes as they try to survive.

My Thoughts: Story (4/5) – Most of these types of stories I’ve seen generally revolve around people who’ve survived an apocalyptic catastrophe trying to rebuild out of the remaining resources at their disposal. Thus it struck me as a bit original to see a plot where a relatively less evolved progeny of humans emerge from the rubbles of a completely eradicated and forgotten contemporary society.

Characters & Worldbuilding (2.5/5) – Eh, I feel like they could be much done to improve in those departments in future volumes. After the beginning scene where the ancient civilization collapses, the reader is abruptly thrown into this new world with little context regarding the history and topography of how these tribes formed or any hint to what led to the downfall of our modern world. Therefore, we’ve mostly left to figure out the universe’s dynamics based on what’s given away through the dialogue, an experience I would consider similar to waking up in the middle of a battlefield with no memory of anything that occurred previously which brings me to my next point.
Dialogue (3/5) – It was serviceable and moved the plot forward as it should, but it was nothing remarkable worth writing home about.

Art (5/5) – This was the best part of the book. The desolate landscape scenery in particular did a great job evoking the unforgiving, wild atmosphere one could imagine from such a setting.

Final Thoughts: The Lost Ages 1 was an average age for me. The art was impressive but the executive was less so and rushed. However, I see the potential for improvement in coming installments.
The Lost Ages is an interesting fantasy story that hinges on the set-up that a huge catastrophe rendered the Earth as primitive, perhaps more-so, as the stone age for thousands of years. This was the result of a huge meteor storm in 1000 AD that caused a literal "dark age", killing a lot of life on the planet. Humans cowered in caves and basically just existed from then on. Set "many thousands of years in the future" from that point, the world has gradually moved back to a point where it could be seen as your typical high fantasy setting not unlike Conan. This alternate earth has evolved without humans in any sort of dominant role much of its existence, meaning that fearsome beasts are high up the food chain and are evolved for bloodthirsty precision when it comes to hunting the last shreds of humanity.

We find out later, than records of the before times do exist and the main character's father Primus is attempting to harness some of the advanced (for 1000 AD) technology found within. This of course angers other tribes and forces our main characters on an adventure to find a new homeland and learn from these old texts. While this book really only gets moving along plot-wise at the very end, I will be excited to read more of this. The unique premise, much different than what I'm used to with sort of book, and the gorgeous artwork made me an immediate fan, so I hope this lasts for a while. If you are a fan of high-fantasy and especially things under the Robert E. Howard umbrella, such as Conan, I'd definitely recommend checking this out.
Volume 1 of The Lost Ages begins with a cataclysmic event that resets humanity and turns them into a nomadic society. The artwork was great and the story was very exciting with a lot of action. I think that I will be reading future volumes.
The Lost Ages Volume One: The Fort on the Moors by Jerome Le Gris and Didier Poli was enjoyable enough.

Before critiquing Le Gris's writing, I understand that I read an English translation of a French GN, so I'm aware that there may be some translation issues that I may have had issues with that I do not blame Le Gris for. There were characters, specifically Primus, that spoke almost inhuman. Using words like 'verify' so nonchalantly as if you're not a robot doesn't read very realistic even for the smartest person in the clan to say. This problem doesn't show up often in the translation, but, when it does, I'm pulled out of the story. Besides that the dialogue is fine if not a bit clunky.

Le Gris's story has a lot of potential! I enjoy the premise of a split timeline where an apocalyptic event happens in the year 1000 that forces humanity to restart civilization all over again. Starting the story, however, from the perspective of a monk seeing the apocalypse and then transitioning thousands of years into the future makes the monk seem like he's more important than he is in this volume. It felt like it was tacked onto the beginning of the story to exposit information rather than being a good start to a story. That was a glaring problem through the entire GN. There was a lot of expositing about the world the characters are in rather than exploring the world with the audience before the story is set into motion. Once the story is set into motion, the world is still being explained to us still without any exploration. I know that this is only volume one of the story, but it feels like we're moving through this world at a lightning fast pace without any moments to take in the world. The conflict in the story felt like it could go somewhere. There was a lot of tension between the characters that would be amazing to explore, but, once again, that lightning fast pace doesn't really allow us to know the characters too well before they either die or are forced to leave the settlement that was such a big deal to them in the first place. There was no time to feel saddened by the death of the clan, the was no time to be saddened by Elaine's losses, there was just action. So in that way the characters felt a little flat.

Poli's artistic style of the GN was executed well enough to tell the story that was going on and you could obviously follow along clearly to the beats of the story, but I didn't find it terribly striking in any particular way that made it seem distinct from other GNs I've read before. Not bad in any sense that I noticed but not really remarkable either.

I still enjoyed what what I read for the most part. The premise was interesting, the character's had some promise, and the world looked like it had potential! I wouldn't disregard this GN entirely, but I don't think I'd pick up the follow up volume or read it again. Because of the lightning fast pace of the story, it leaves no room for the characters to be fleshed out in any meaningful way, nor does it allow for the incredible world to be explored.
**e-ARC received by the author and publisher of NetGalley in an exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion regarding the book.**
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Name of the publication: Europe Comics
Date finished: June 20, 2021
Pub Date: April 21, 2021
Review: Every aspect of this book is exquisite, intricate plot and detailed narration. The art is superb. This is a fun read, I was stressed out due to the fight scenes at the same time I enjoyed it! This is a great graphic novel that really gives the perfect picture in my head as I read this story. There are many different findings in the novel and I can’t wait to read the next book.