Cover Image: The Accomplice

The Accomplice

How well do we now the people around us? Do we know their past? Or do we know the past they tell us, which might not be the truth? Even in this day and age, we might do a social media check on new people in our lives, but do we really dig DEEP? The answer is probably not, w take what we see and go with it. In this book, Own and Luna think they know each other, but did they really tell each other the truth back in college? Did anyone in their circle know the truth? And could those lies be catching up to them know and influencing their future? This is a roller coaster read, you won't be able to put down.
Great thriller with lots of twists and turns. Sure to grab some attention and lots of praise. Fans of Lutz won’t be able to put this one down.
This book is nuts. Owen meets Luna at college and they become friends. Their friendship continues over the years until, one day, Luna finds the body of Owen's wife while she's out for a jog. And while the police are untangling that murder, Lutz takes the reader back to Owen and Luna's college days, which involve another suspiciously dead body, but of course that's just coincidence. As is secret from Luna's past, one so large that she changed her name.

So there's a ton going on, with frequent shifts between the timelines and Lutz makes it all work somehow, spinning the various plates of plot while building a story about a friendship that isn't always healthy or even good for the two people involved, but which does turn out to be the most important relationship of their lives. This thriller is fast-paced and so well-written and constructed so if you like your escapist reading to have a bit of substance and bite, you'll love this one.
The Accomplice is a smart, compelling suspense thriller.  The story revolves around Luna and Owen who have been platonic friends since college but when Owen’s wife is murdered, secrets are revealed.  Lutz skillfully develops unique characters and a fascinating plot.

Thank you to NetGalley, Random House Publishing Group – Ballantine, and Lisa Lutz for the advanced copy of The Accomplice.  #NetGalley  #TheAccomplice
Owen and Lucy have a slightly unhealthy attachment to each other and everyone wonders why.  Were they lovers at one point?  What secrets do they keep for each other?  And why do people seem to end up dead around them?  This was a fantastic thriller that kept me up way past my bedtime for two nights as I raced to finish it.
"He wasn't Teflon, more like particleboard. He soaked up everything, letting it become part of him." Thoroughly enjoyed #TheAccomplice - nothing like the other Lutz book I read, The Spellman Files. The relationship between Luna and Owen is complicated, to say the least. I liked Luna's character a lot, Owen not so much. Nothing and no one are what it/they seem, and it's a good thing. Lutz does an excellent job of keeping you turning the pages, and to admit I was more than surprised is no understandment! Highly recommend!

P.S. Many, many thanks to #NetGalley for the ARC.
There was a lot of build up about the secrets and lies, but ultimately it was not all that exciting. I keep hoping that I will really like the next Lisa Lutz book, but I have been disappointed since she ended the Spellman Series. I hope she does well, but her new type of genre is just not for me.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the ARC.
The way Lisa Lutz writes is so fascinating and I find myself studying the way she goes back & forth between the characters while also letting us inside their heads as they try to interpret each other's statements or actions. It's a fantastic way to write and an enjoyable, compelling journey for readers. What does Luna know? What kind of a connection do Luna and Owen have? And who is really the guilty one? I loved The Passenger just as much and am going back to re-read that book!
Lisa Lutz demonstrates the stellar character development and electric, suspenseful pacing that she so masterfully displayed in The Passenger in this new novel. Featuring best friends Owen and Luna, whose lifelong friendship is as unbreakable as it is mysterious, the novel explores their shared history and the cloud of darkness that hangs over them from college, where they meet, into adulthood. The twists and turns will keep you guessing, and the unexpected lurks at every corner in this gripping psycholgical thriller. An absorbing, well-written read for fans of Peter Swanson or Lisa Jewell.
Lutz has proven that she is much more than the Spellmans (one of my much beloved series). An examination of how well we know the people we love and what they are capable of.  Recommended for book groups who like a mystery with some bite and complexity.
From the publisher: Everyone has the same questions about best friends Owen and Luna: What binds them together so tightly? Why weren’t they ever a couple? And why do people around them keep turning up dead? The Accomplice examines the bonds of shared history, what it costs to break them, and what happens when you start wondering if you ever truly knew the only person who truly knows you.

This book has a hook. I still can’t identify what it is, exactly, but once I started reading I wasn’t going to stop. Luna and Owen have a frankly strange relationship. They are very good friends who make Luna’s husband say that he and Owen’s wife Irene “had a similar sense of being the third wheel in our own marriages.” (p. 157 of the Advance Reader Copy)

Luna and Own have both been on the periphery of more deaths than is normal for a person. How many times is someone questioned by the police over the course of their life? For most people, the answer is zero. Not Luna and Owen. Even the cops think their relationship is not right.

So many secrets. And yet the author makes it believable that the secrets have been kept. I felt like Luna and Owen were two real people – not terribly likable, but well drawn. The plot isn’t spooky or tense, it’s just – interesting. Like listening to great gossip about someone you didn’t much care for in school. The pacing is superb. The narrative flips back and forth in time, and both timelines fascinated me equally.

There are a couple of mysteries, and I guessed about half of one and was completely caught off guard by the other. I congratulate any author who can put all the clues in place and still take me by surprise. I’ve read a lot of psychological thrillers in 2020 and 2021. I’ve enjoyed settling into someone’s fictional problems and forgetting about the real world’s problems for a while. The Accomplice is one of the best I’ve read in the last two years.

I read an advance reader copy of The Accomplice from Netgalley. It will be published in late January 2022 and will be available in print and as an ebook at the Galesburg Public Library. If you want to try out the author before then, the library owns her Spellman Files series and her other novels.
This book was less of a mystery than an exploration of a codependent (toxic?) friendship between two inherently unlikeable people. Owen and Luna have been platonic (REALLY!) BFFs since they met in college, but people keep dying around them. First, Owen's college girlfriend dies mysteriously, and then years later his wife is brutally murdered, so he looks shady AF. Luna sticks with him through it all because that's what BFFs do, right?

I can't say I loved this book, but I enjoyed reading it, and will always love Lisa Lutz's writing style - smart and snarky and funny and insightful. Also: The ferret house was hilarious.
A fast-paced mystery that lives among and follows a group of friends (my favorite kind!). Written in Lisa Lutz's signature style, this is a must-read for fans of her work.
Owen and Luna have been friends since college. Luna has always been secretive, but when she finds the body of her friend and Owen’s wife shot dead while on a jog through the cemetery, the cops of course turn to the spouse first.

The narrative goes back and forth from their college years, where tragedy struck an acquaintance of theirs, to 2019 when Owen’s wife’s murder is being investigated. This is a fun mystery because even though Owen and Luna aren’t perfect, you also don’t want them to be murderers, and it’s unclear until the end who the bad guy(s) are.

Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to review this novel, which RELEASES JANUARY 25, 2022.
When Owen and Luna meet in college they quickly become best friends and inseparable. Then a death occurs and rocks their inner circle. Years later Owen’s wife is murdered and they find themselves involved in another mystery.

This was a slow burn with a pretty deep examination into a unique friendship. It’s not often that we read about a coed friendship that is purely platonic, but that’s the entire background of the story. The dual time lines was easy to follow despite going back and forth. The mystery and history both unraveled slowly, but neatly.

“Sometimes when you talked to someone who was truly sick, some of that sickness could stick to you, like drifting ash after a fire.”

The Accomplice comes out 1/25.
Thank you to the NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book. Unfortunately I could not finish the book as I could not connect with any of the characters.
I found this an interesting read that I should suggest for our book club.   It kept me involved and my mind working throughout.  Neither of the characters are likeable but if that is only what you want, you should be reading romance.  This unlikeability keeps you from forming a team Luna or team Owen at some point during the book. As usual with this author there are some twists as not everything is as it seems.  There is a tiny bit of glimmer of the humor of her previous books but the tight writing is still there.
I loved these characters, especially Owen! This was such a fun read with an amazing storyline and great plot! I definitely would read more from this author.
"The Accomplice" focuses on a deep and abiding friendship between Owen and Luna, who meet in college.  It is the story of more than one death that they have singly and together experienced.  And booze everywhere, in family homes, on their college campus, at the edge of a cliff.  The story takes place in two timeframes, the early 2000s, when the bloom comes off Owen while they are still college students and fifteen years later when tragedy strikes again.  It is a story of trust, suspicion, real betrayal, the pasts that haunt us, figuring out how to be one's authentic self and several mysteries:  These mysteries include the not so likable elderly artist who could have been self-supporting but isn't; one dead mother; one dead father; one old death that led to guilt; one very new death that leads to confusion; a very unlikeable guy in prison; a couple of affairs; too much gossip; a neighbor who reminds one of Gladys Kravitz; and a brother and his dog. The cops are delightfully appealing characters as to every one of the deaths.  Lutz is an adept sketch artist of character and one's imagination more than takes care of the stories she doesn't explicitly tell.I'd love to think I was one of the first to discover Lisa Lutz because when I found her Spellman series, I felt I alone knew about these books. I was so entertained and amused I never wanted them to end.  "Heads You Lose" equally appealed to me. (It was not a mystery.) But, I took awhile to fully appreciate her later work.  Oh, I liked the post-Spellman books.  But I did not love them.  I had type cast the author.  Still, I bought each new book in hardcover the minute they came out, so my deep respect for the author stayed intact.  My NetGalley ARC of "The Accomplice" started with a letter from a vice-president of Ballatine Books.  She noted that "The Accomplice" refers back to a prior stand alone book of Lutz's, "The Passenger."  Hmmm.  "What was that one about?"  I went to Goodreads and Amazon and Lutz's webpage.  It was published in 2016.  I devour books and it is hard to remember them all, but I recreated which Lutz this was and read good and bad reviews. Doing this changed how I read "The Accomplice".  I say this for you who are disappointed that she did not continue the Spellman series or found her later books sparsely written, too shallow, lacking in clues, and rushed at the end.  Go back and reread those books!  I'm heading back to reread her work from the Spellmans onward.  Because Lutz is an original writer and it is all there. And the writing is really sophisticated.  It can be easy to write too much.  Lutz's style is to write just enough.  The rhythm is perfect.  The humor less out there but woven throughout.  Many reviewers note how quotable her books are.  I just paid attention differently and it it true.   She captures humanity in one line after another.  Genius!

Wow!  I am not sure how to review this novel.   It has great characters and an excellent story line.  The complexities of the situations and the relationship of the two main characters is fascinating.   I reached several conclusions only to be disproven in later chapters.

This is a great book and would make a terrific book club choice.