Cover Image: Declutter Like a Mother

Declutter Like a Mother

Organization is a topic that I love to read about and consider myself quite knowledgeable on. When I heard that a new book about decluttering and organizing just came out written by Allie Casazza, I was so excited to get into it. Declutter like a Mother, or DCLM, is a stress-free, step-by-step plan to take back your home and finally get back to enjoying your life. Allie claims that when you are through with this process you will stop spending time dealing with stuff and start spending time enjoying your family. While this book is geared more towards families with children, I still found myself relating to a lot of the situations that Allie pointed out. Even without children in our household yet, I find myself dealing with an overload of stuff that takes up most of my time to put away and clean up. Keeping up with cleaning my house can be tiring and get in the way of my life goals. If any of this resonates with you so far, then this is the book for you.

Allie gives basic guidelines for what to keep in each space, but she still leaves the final decisions and choices up to you so you can make the space your own. The whole philosophy behind this challenge and process is to make your home “work for you and your family.” It’s just up to you to decide what that means when clearing out the junk. If you need more help making these decisions, she continuously gives additional resources that you can find on her website. If you are looking for a book that tells you exactly what to keep and get rid of, then move on! This book isn’t for you.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this decluttering/organization book. I think that it would be a great addition to other organizational books, such as Marie Kondo’s The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and The Home Edit’s books. It is always good to get a few different view-points on this subject to see what resonates most with you and your life.
I enjoyed this book. I love the author’s style of organization which is not too time consuming or stressful. I feel like I can take pointers from each chapter of this book to organize my house in a more orderly fashion. Thank you to Net Galley for an advanced copy of this book.
I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a motivational reminder of what we need or want! Allie will guide you with ideas and helpful tips, how to let go of ‘things’! Containing lots of ideas, Allie is there to help, share this book around ladies!

I asked for this advanced reader copy, because so many decluttering and home help type book are such duds. I was hoping this one would prove to me that there is still hope. It did not disappoint! I am gifting this to all of my friends when they get married and have to combine households. I am now looking up everything Allie Casazza!
Lots of enthusiasm and energy can be found in this book for those who need a kickstart in decluttering their house.
In Declutter Like a Mother, Allie Casazza lays out a step by step plan to reclaim your sanity, your home, and your motherhood. Her plan is simple and actionable. This  book came at just the right time. Instead of making lists of areas I ought to simplify, Allie reminds us to just take action. Even just taking one action helped me to immediately feel lighter and encouraged me to continue with the focus on intent. I particularly like the ‘rule of space,’ as an idea of how much to keep and this works well with helping children declutter their things.
I love this book! It's different from other decluttering books because it makes it realistic and doable for each person. Not a strict set of rules.
This little gem is the perfect companion for anyone who is interested in cleaning out and decluttering their personal space. There are tons of practical tips and tricks buried within these pages, just waiting on you to jump in and mine through the junk … to finally obtain that diamond … you know… the one where you don’t hold your breath and squeeze your derrière tight enough to MAKE a diamond, because you just heard companies coming and the house is a wreck. The perfect way to bring down your anxiety level! This is a great read for everyone - as well all need to learn how to let go and <I> Declutter Like A Mother!”

Definite 4 out of 5 star book for me and one I will definitely be recommending!

Thank you so much to #NetGalley, the publisher, Nelson Books, and the author Allie Casazza for providing me with an electronic arc in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion.
This book is the perfect read for anyone looking to de-clutter their spaces and also their lives.

Allie gives practical tips that people from all stages of lives can use to easily simplify their lives and create a more livable and functional space.

Thanks so much Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was such a motivational book! As someone who has read at least a dozen decluttering books already, there was not a lot of new information, but the empowerment and motivation were so nice! For someone just dipping their toe into the idea of living with less, this book is the perfect jumping off point that gives you the tools you need to find success and how simplicity fits in to your own life, not anyone else’s! I would highly recommend, especially to young moms.
This is a book that should have just stayed a blog post.  10% content, 90% filler and self promotion.
I follow Allie on social media and was so excited to read her book. I felt like it was obviously similar content to her social feeds, but very refreshing compared to the many other decluttering books I’ve read. She does a great job keeping her systems versatile for what works best for different people as opposed to a ‘one size fits all’ or RULES like other systems.
This book is geared more towards moms with younger kids.  My kids are older now but I still got a lot from this book.  It helps you realize how much stuff is weighing you down and gets you to look at what you have and decide whether its worth all the space its taking up in your home. Yes, you spent (wasted) a lot of money on "XYZ" but is it worth keeping just to take up valuable space in your home?  A lot of great point and tips.
This is a fantastic book and was very helpful for me. I highly recommend it regardless of how much clutter you currently have. It is full of helpful tips and new ways of thinking about our homes and possessions. The author teaches the connection between clutter and the way we feel. She said this book is for every woman who is overwhelmed and wants more time for what matters. If we get rid of stuff, we feel more peace in our homes. One idea I liked is that we aren’t wasting money when we get rid of clutter, we already wasted it when we purchased something we didn’t need. We also waste time, space, and energy by keeping things we don’t use. I found her idea helpful to set the intent for each room to know what we need to remove or add to it. It is also helpful to identify our clutter crutch so we can see the solution for it. Thanks to NetGalley for a temporary digital copy to use for my review.
What a great book. Allie Casazza is like so many American moms, too much stuff, over committed and often times finding it hard to see the joys of motherhood. Casazza not only gives you the tools to de clutter  your house but the reasons why it will change your life. She has a light and fun style both in her book and on her podcast. Her steps are easy to follow and you continue to say to yourself that you should have known that. A quick read with tons of info.
I first heard about Allie Casazza through her Facebook Declutter like a Mother challenge a few years ago. Here I was introduced to the idea of everything in your life taking up your precious time. I kind of think of her as a more relatable Marie Kondo. So I began to follow Allie’s method of getting rid of ‘stuff,’ which has enabled me to spend less time maintaining my home and more time doing the things I love.

I was excited to hear about Casazza’s first book as although I have good routines and rhythms for certain things (e.g. laundry) and have decluttered and maintained specific areas (e.g. bathroom, clothing) there are still areas that needed work (particularly TOYS!)

‘Declutter like a mother,’ the book came at just the right time. Instead of making lists of areas I ought to simplify, Allie reminds us to just take action. Even just taking one action helped me to immediately feel lighter and encouraged me to continue with the focus on intent. I particularly like the ‘rule of space,’ as an idea of how much to keep and this works well with helping children declutter their things.

If you have been listening to Allie for some time, there may not be much new here. However, it is great for being able to go back to those specific sections whenever you like in the book. For those new to Allie Casazza - if you are feeling overwhelmed - this is a great place to start. Recommended.
The entire book feels like 20% content and 80% filler - much of it an infomercial for Cassaza’s online courses and podcast. I do like the idea of rejecting rigid minimalism and capsule wardrobes and finding your own sweet spot. Writing feels chatty rather than conversational and loses flow. I also appreciate how the target audience is not exclusively upper middle class stay at home WASPs - anyone can benefit from the advice, but it would have been better as an article in good housekeeping rather than an entire book.
Very informative and a useful guide to have.  I like that there are no ‘set rules’ and people are encourage to find a way to declutter which best suits them,  their family and lifestyle.  An honest reflection of motherhood as well!
Decluttering is hard. Decluttering as a parent is extra hard. Stuff seems to accumulate and multiply and it can be overwhelming and seem like an insurmountable task. If you're looking for a cheerleader and encouragement then Declutter Like a Mother might be for you. If you're looking for strategies, techniques or a guide then it might not be.
Allie Casazza is personable and friendly, although a little overzealous in her use of the term 'girl' in a motivational capacity (e.g. Girl, you've got this). I have followed Allie for some time and have found lately that there is a lot of advertising her courses and scant information on decluttering strategies and tips. The same could be said of this book. It often felt like she was peddling her courses and there was not a lot of tangible content in the terms of techniques or guides.
Allie is good at motivating you, supporting you and changing your mindset, so if you're a self-starter this might be all you need. If you're looking for more structure then perhaps look to some other guides.
I appreciated Allie's candour and her personable way of writing which is familiar and comforting. It did get a little annoying and repetitive when you wanted more information and she suggested joining her paid courses though. If you're familiar with Allies story then that was also a bit monotonous for me and I skimmed over that quickly hoping to get to the bones of the book. Unfortunately, for me, it never arrived. Sure, I was very motivated and it helped with my mindset but after a little while this wanes and upon reflection there was not a lot else that I gained from reading this which I find disappointing.
If you're a superfan or in need of a supportive voice cheering you on then this might be for you
So so good! I listened to this book on Audible and it is so nice to be able to work while I listen. I listened to it all one time through while picking up, cooking dinner, etc. I have already tossed a few things while picking up and listening. I can’t wait to go through each room while listening to it at the same time. Next week I plan on starting on a room with trash bags in hand! I can’t wait to live lighter!