Cover Image: Declutter Like a Mother

Declutter Like a Mother

Thank you for the advanced copy..

An easy read, well put together and some really useful aspects of this book I will incorporate into my life.  I tend to live by a 3mth rule and regularly have a sort out but I will do this with fresh eyes after reading this.
Declutter Like a Mother by Allie Casazza is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early September.

Casazza is quite real, quirkily so, and offers a mid-amount of direction and pressure with dashes of bible verses. She's able to empathize about being overwhelmed and always several chores behind, prior to decluttering, but content to make fewer choices after clutter is removed. You also don't have to be wholly into the minimalism movement, but to just use and readapt it as you need; to be decisive with each object you consider, as to if you need it in your life or not (i.e. mementos, hobby materials, or items that could be repaired), seeing either the importance or frivolity of things, and to approach shopping with a minimalist mindset.
Declutter Like a Mother provided some helpful tips for going through your house to get rid of clutter, but most of the book contains information I’ve seen many times before. I appreciate the author’s ability to describe her own experience to relate to the reader, including times she’s been unsuccessful in keeping her house/kids/life organized. To me, this book read as a long blog including links and mentions of the authors trademarked decluttering challenges and programs, and overuse of the term “girl” (one of my pet peeves). There’s absolutely nothing wrong with this way of writing, and it will likely make a large part of the target audience feel comfortable; it’s just not my cup of tea.

Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for  an honest review.
This is a wonderful book to help anyone get out of the stress of trying to declutter your home and get to the other side of less overwhelm. I love that reading this book is like what I’d imagine sitting down with Allie to chat would be like! Fast, easy read but with very good and practical insights as to why we gather clutter and how to become free of it! My house runs so much smoother now with less stuff and less stress. I’m excited to put these ideas and strategies to work in my classroom, too, now.
I tend to have my sh*t together. I don't live a life of stress over stuff. I don't need anyone telling me how to manage my household. And yet...I FIND SO MUCH VALUE IN THIS MESSAGE.

I've followed Allie for a couple years and have greatly benefitted from her *free* content; just the simple message that less is more; LIVE LIGHTER. Great reminders. Everyone goes through heavy seasons of life (those deep into motherhood is the catered audience) and Allie has a way of visioneering success for any scenario.

Decluttering via Allie's method is not a rigid one-trick-pony; Allie is your friend and cheerleader to push that positive message that progress does not need perfection; life is messy; life/childhood can be enjoyed if you will (because you CAN) create space for it.  Having margin is necessary. Set your mind; set your intent; set your rhythms and realistic expectations and stop allowing visual and physical clutter steal your time/money/space/mental-emotional health.

Seeing that pink book on the dresser reminds me that I am part of a community of problem-solving, action-taking women who reject the idea that 'hot mess' is our default. I am blessed to have found Allie and proud to support her message <3 We got this!
Declutter Like A Mother
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

“Letting go of objects that have memories attached to them doesn’t mean you are letting go of those memories. The memories are yours forever, no matter what is stored in your home.”

Thank you @nelsonbooks & @netgalley for the #gifted copy.

I am not a mother, but I’ve always been drawn to books and stories like these since reading the Marie Kondo books. If you’re not a mother, you will still get so many beneficial tips and tricks from this book, which is so eloquently written and covers every aspect of a home.

We’ve lived in our home for almost four months, and the clutter we’ve accumulated is ridiculous. A lot of it came from unpacking, and not knowing where things should go, so things ended up in the basement or spare bedroom. So many of those items are sentimental, and are sitting in boxes. This book is what kickstarted my journey to decluttering my home. If you need the push, little tips and motivation, this is for you!

This comes out today.
I enjoyed the easy read, yet feel like I got a lot out of it. I love how she said, “if there is so emitting for you in this book please take it.” It acknowledges that everyone has different experiences, is in a different stage of the decluttering process, has different needs. I have been following her for a while & have decluttered multiple times. I still felt like I got good advice & ideas from this book, especially when discussing minimalism and kids.
Love, Love, Love this book!  I recommend it 1000%.  Allie puts minimalism into perspective while running a household.   I can't get enough of her straight-forward but grace-giving attitude.  There are so many take-aways from this book.  She tells you exactly where to start and how to find your momentum.   I feel lighter after reading and taking action.  Everyone can gain knowledge from reading this book.  As an overwhelmed Momma, I feel lucky to have found Allie and have her in my corner!!!   Get the book!  You won't regret it!!!
I was hopeful when reading the intro to this book. Allie really nailed what it’s like to be a tired, overworked mom who spends way too much time cleaning. However, the actual tips were nothing I hadn’t heard before.
I enjoy reading personal development books so I've read quite a few books similar to this. While this isn't my all time favorite decluttering book, I can tell you what I did like about it. It focuses on decluttering from a minimalistic perspective. Delcutter Like a Mother is great for is getting you into a more minimalistic mindset and walking you through room-by-room to make it happen.

This book is different from most other minimalism books, as it introduces a flexible style that focuses on living with less stuff for the sake of freeing yourself from the constant management of stuff. This provides you time and space for enjoying everything more. There are no hard and fast rules about what you can and cannot keep. By following this method you are still allowed to shop and you are allowed to keep things that you want to keep, but these things are done in a more mindful way.

This book is not meant to be read in a casual way. It is most effective if you are willing to commit to at least 15-20 minutes a day to decluttering along with the book. You will get most from this book if you read a chapter about a particular area and then put down the book and get to work in that area. I recommend that you reread the chapter about that area often until that area is complete. You could treat the book as a challenge where you aim to focus on one area per day or one area per week. The book is relatively short and to the point in the get-to-work type chapters. I appreciate the directness and not a ton of fluff.

Be aware that the first of the book is her story of how she got into minimalism, kind of before it was really a thing. There are some brief references to scripture in the beginning of the book since the Bible and God are a big part of her life and since it directly relates to her motivation to start this method, her online courses, and this book. If your background and motivation are different, don't be scared off. You will still enjoy the book. Her advice and method will still work 😉. She does not come off as preachy at all. It's simply her story.

I recommend reading this book to get you started on a more minimal life, especially if you feel like you are drowning in stuff and constantly cleaning up. The author does have an online course called Your Uncluttered Home that is basically the same type of content as this book, but as a little more interactive with audio, videos, and a private Facebook community. The course goes into a little more depth. For me the book is enough, but some might benefit from the course as well (which she does mention multiple times in the book).

I would also recommend reading Decluttering at the Speed of Life by Dana K. White if after this book you need some more tips. I would say Decluttering at the Speed of Life is my favorite "decluttering" book and Essentialism by Greg McKeown is my favorite "minimalism" book, but Decluttering Like a Mother works as an inbetween the two, other perspective. I'm overall glad I read it.
This book is amazing! I have followed Allie online for several years now. The advice she gives, and the way she encourages mothers in their journey is so uplifting and inspiring. I knew I would love her book, and I was right! I loved how true to Allie the book was. I could hear her voice as I read her words. The book challenged me more than I ever thought it would. I had to put it down once when I was reading it on an airplane because I didn’t want to cry in front of complete strangers. But in the challenge, there was also hope. There was the knowledge that I can do this, and it will be a struggle sometimes, but it will be life changing. I really appreciated how Allie emphasized that decluttering is not a one size fits all approach. You don’t need to keep only a certain number of items if that’s not what works for you. That felt so freeing, and made me feel like I can do this! After reading this book, I know I can declutter my environment, and in doing so, change my life for the better! Thank you, Allie for this wonderful
Declutter Like A Mother by Allie Casazza is a motivating book about simplifying our homes and lives. It's written in an engaging, conversational tone with the focus being on intentionality and simplicity, which will help give us more time and clarity. Though it doesn't really bring any new insight into the genre of home decluttering and organization, it is very motivating. Casazza gives guidelines for each area of the home and advice for mental blocks that may keep us from achieving the living space we want. I really enjoyed this book, which is not about minimalism as an aesthetic, but as a way of simplifying our lives and giving us more time back for more important things.

Thank you Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing this ARC.
I love how easy this book is to read. It’s a quick read with a lot of useful, easy to accomplish tips on how to declutter your home. The anecdotes are relatable and humorous, and make you feel like you’re not alone in having too much stuff in your house. I love the tips and easy to follow instructions to declutter!
I found Allie several years ago when we had just added a third kiddo and I was seriously overwhelmed by stuff. Simplicity/less/minimalism is always something I said I wanted to be when I grew up. I felt like I was drowning. Through the simple shifts mentioned in this book I was able to clear so much clutter and bring space and a lighter feeling into my life. I became a happier mom who wasn’t cleaning up constantly or overwhelmed by the piles of stuff everywhere in my house. This book is practical, helpful, and down-to-earth, all while having the tone of a friend coming alongside to help and give you the information when you’re already too overwhelmed to problem solve. I remember crying tears of joy after realizing I no longer had to be a slave to my stuff. Allie’s philosophy of minimalism/simplicity quite literally changed my life and I’m forever grateful.

Easy to read and implement. You’ll be so happy you found this book!
Allie Casazza is a mom and this book addresses the mom life. The overwhelm, the challenge with trying to balance everything. I recently listened to Allie on a podcast with Clutterbug Cas Aarssen and from there listened to Allie's podcast and subsequently purchased this book.

This book is clearly written, and presents many ideas to help you on your journey to declutter your house and live life more fully. One of the chapters I think is most useful is the one about helping kids with their toys. She worked with a family therapist and identifies five different personality types that kids most likely fall into. This can help you as a mom motivate your child to embrace a more minimal lifestyle.

Although Allie talks about minimalism, she is not rigid about what this entails. For example, if you are a passionate cook, your kitchen is going to look different than if you eat to live. She encourages you to work on your house, setting an intention for each room about what you want. She explains that you need to determine what matters to you and your family and talks you through the various rooms in the house as well as wardrobe, mail and paperwork, sentimental items, random stuff, gifts, and more. There is no formula to follow since everyone has different priorities and Allie's book will help you get some clarity around that if you need it.

She pulls examples from her own experiences, and her experience from helping others, highlighting ideas with testimonials throughout the book. Decluttering is a process. It's not something you do once and then it's done forever.

Most of all Allie talks about how overwhelming it can be for moms particularly to get everything done. This book will help you become more intentional about what you have in your house and life.

I read a digital ARC of this book via Net Galley.
I love books about decluttering and minimalism so was excited to start this one. I had never heard of Allie Casazza before so was interested to find out more.
I liked the way the book was set out and how different rooms were broken down into sections to make things manageable and less daunting, however there was nothing new in this book to what I have already read or know.
This is one of those books that I think I will be referring back to as I work to declutter my life and home. The author does a great job of breaking things down into relatable chapters and making the concepts manageable.

I enjoyed the writing style and understand the author tried to form a bond with the reader but I think it could come off as a little false at times.

for the decluttering though I'm a fan. I feel like I can tackle small projects over the course of a stretch of time. I feel like I can organize my decluttering and not feel too overwhelmed so the book is a success for me and like I said this is the kind of book you refer back to so it is a keeper on my self.
Are you stuck? I am too, or I was!! I ordered Allie’s book because I needed something, ANYTHING, to help me start. Her book does that! She pumps you up and gives you the tools for a simpler life, without the rigid rules of most minimalists. She guides you through each room and gives you VERY specific areas to work that can mostly be done in 30 minutes. What are you waiting for? Stop reading and go pick up her book!!!
Thanks to NetGalley and Nelson Books for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I had recently come across the Instagram page of Allie Casazza. As a mom who's always looking for ways to minimalize the amount of crap in my home and organize it, I was excited to read her book. Who better than another mother to help me figure out how to get this task done? Well, I wasn't all that impressed. Almost all the information is basic logic I've already learned or come across in other books. The section I was most excited about, children and their belongings, had a plug to her "paid program" to really go deep on the types of children and how to help each type let go of things. She gave a very simplistic view in the book on these types, but again, it was all so basic I just skimmed over it. I actually found myself skimming a lot as there just wasn't anything in there that was new to me. It felt like one huge advertisement of herself, and the opening was way too long. I wanted to get to the meat of the book, but every time I though she was done talking, it just kept going with more words.

My biggest turnoff was I did not like the Rachel Hollis tone of "hey girl" Allie kept using in the book. As someone who loathes that kind of marketing to be hip with women, I finally had enough and DNF the book. I think I made it just over 50% of the way through and was done. I think anyone who is a fan of Allie, her blog, her podcasts, or her programs, you might like this book. It just wasn't for me.

I'll be posting my review on Goodreads right away, but I might only do a very simple review on Instagram. I hate leaving bad feedback on that site as it feels a lot more personal than Goodreads. If I do post, it will be up before the 15th of September.
“This is why minimalism is not about having less for the sake of having less. It’s not about having a clean house. It’s not about being a minimalist because it’s trendy and cool and your house will look perfect. There has to be a bigger and deeper why. It’s about having less for the sake of having more of what matters.”

Here ye here ye, calling all moms. Declutter Like A Mother is a room by room and item by item guide to help you be your best clutter free self. This is an extremely real and practical way to get your life back. It’s not the minimalist movement that has you feeling you have to survive with one fork and 7 items of clothing. But it IS about not having so much that it’s stealing your joy and life.

Holyyyyy hell am I glad I raised my daughter before there was so much pressure for moms to be perfect and have Pinterest worthy houses on the regular. My daughter played with toys and they were everywhere…and literally no one cared. Because no one saw it. Ahhh the simpler times before social media.

According to this book, my generally chill and laid back attitude stems from my lack of clutter in my home. Wahooooo. A cluttered home equals a cluttered mind has been my adult life mantra. I have a place for everything and everything is in its place. The one caveat to my clutter free, light, and airy home are…you guessed it…books. #SorryNotSorry And as she states in the book, “progress not perfection.” Can I get an amen?!

If you are interested in simplifying your life and taking it back from the clutter that surrounds you, read this book! Thank you to Netgalley, Nelson Books, and the author for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.