Cover Image: Help, I'm Drowning

Help, I'm Drowning

Mrs. Clarkson's perspective is so wise and she gives many practical tips, especially for those struggling through what has been an incredibly difficult past year and a half. Would recommend to anyone needing a boost.
This book was just what I needed! The last couple of years have been rough on a lot of us. This book was a wonderful, encouraging breath of fresh air.
Sally Clarkson does it again - another book that spoke directly to my heart! I read this during a season when life felt overwhelming and it felt like Sally was a friend beside me, constantly encouraging me and pointing me back to Jesus.

Reading Sally's books are always uplifting and I know they are grounded in the gospel. I appreciated Help, I'm Drowning so much!
This book was incredibly helpful for me in my current season of life. I tend to find Sally Clarkson’s books a bit grating—full of truth but typically just making me feel “less than” with the high expectations and ideas presented in them. This novel was refreshing and had an entirely different tone to it. I loved the encouragement and wisdom Clarkson provides, the helpful prayers, and the solid Scripture. I will highly recommend this book to my adult students, particularly mothers juggling families.
In her most recent book Sally Clarkson outlines various experiences in her life when she felt she was drowning. With personal experience and lessons from scripture she encourages the reader to look to Christ. This book is very  readable and was definately a big encouragement.
My Thoughts:

The e-book I read is not the final product. It is an advanced reader copy. A hard thing about reviewing an advanced reader copy is I have no way of knowing if in the final product there has been changes. I can only review what I read. I am going to try and use only a few quotes because what if that quote has been later omitted?

I am a subscriber to Sally Clarkson’s newsletters. I am also a subscriber to her eldest daughter, Sarah Clarkson’s, newsletters. I follow both of them on Facebook. I have read two of Sarah’s books. One of them was reviewed this year. I am thankful NetGalley had Sally’s book available to read and review. I didn’t even have to request the book-it was ready to download.

When I began reading, Help, I’m Drowning, I felt maybe I was too old to read this book because I thought it was written for younger women. I wondered if I could benefit from the content? I hope this doesn’t come across as arrogant? I just thought maybe I was past some of the topics in the book. After all I am 57. I’ve been married 39 years. My children are raised and have families of their own. I learned while reading this book that there is a wealth of teachings to learn no matter the age of woman!

Several reason why I love Help, I’m Drowning:

1. Sally Clarkson is heartfelt and transparent about her life experiences. It’s as if she is sitting next to me, holding my hand, and sweetly mentoring me.
2. There is a reason for hard experiences in life. They are a “training ground” for God’s work in our lives. His goal is for our Spiritual maturity.
3. I love the chapter on loneliness. I have had times in life, and at different stages or ages, when I felt lonesome for a mature friend who I can identify with. Clarkson stated we must live with courage during those times when we feel lonely or isolated. Yet, we are to seek to cultivate friendships.
4. Clarkson explained hope is not just a feeling but is held fast to Scripture.
5. I am glad she shared so many life experiences especially the hard times as I can relate to some of them. In some of her stories I too identify.
6. “Don’t let circumstances determine your happiness.” This is so true. I believe this in my own life.
7. I love her statement: “all of us are different in some way. And all of us are flawed and imperfect as a result of being born in this world.” She stated this in the chapter on “Unexpected Challenges With Our Children.” We are to love our children. They are not perfect; as we are not perfect. The take-away principles in this section are beneficial.
8. In the chapter on “IRPs Will Happen.” This chapter talks about dealing with difficult people. These people are critical, fault-finding, etc. We are to give the problem to God. Let God handle the difficult people. We pray for them but God will handle them.
9. The chapter on marriage Clarkson said something that stands out as one of the most important teachings: “Marriage is more about pleasing God than us.” I love this!
10. At the end of each chapter there is “An Anchoring Prayer, An Anchoring Scripture, and An Anchoring Act” to work on.
11. This is a book filled with godly wisdom. It is a book to savor. It is a book to take apart and study individual chapters longer, or to pull out and journal certain teachings.

Format: E-book. Advanced reader copy.
Source: I received a complimentary copy from NetGalley. I am not required to write a positive review.
Audience: Christian women readers who want a helpful book about life issues.
Rating: Excellent.
Help, I’m Drowning feels like you are in a coffee shop with Sally Clarkson. She is candid and vulnerable in this book, offering encouragement to women. When you finish reading, you’ll leave feeling less alone in your struggles. Every book Sally Clarkson writes is a gift. I adored the anchoring prayers and verses at the end of each chapter!

Sally Clarkson's books are always a breath of fresh air to the soul of the weary mother and Help, I'm Drowning is no exception.

The true blessing in her books to me is her ability to form a connection over the hard things that happen in life while offering real hope for a future, not without struggles but in spite of them. There are so many books that offer one or the other but the balance between the two is rare.

What a special treat to be able to sit and listen to her wisdom and be the younger woman of Titus 2 to her wise, motherly words.

If you are discouraged, lonely, sad, depressed, or lost, please read this book and remember there is always hope.
As a former home school mom I was familiar with Sally Clarkson, she was always encouraging to her fellow home schooling families. This book is different as her kids are grown but there are still struggles in the world.  I appreciated her honestly and encouragement. Thanks to NetGalley for my ARC of this book. I'll be buying copies to share with others.
With her life's experiences and knowledge gained, Sally Clarkson once again delivers the encouragement, hope, and understanding to guide us in choosing to live righteously by faith through the storms we encounter. Her message to live intentionally helps us persevere through each storm with faith and hope as we purposefully choose to "exhibit courage" living joyfully, and graciously while bringing light, beauty, and encouragement to those who cross our paths, even during our storms.
Help, I'm Drowning is a rare gift of authenticity.  Sally Clarkson comes alongside mothers in the reality of life and whispers words of comfort, beauty, and hope.  Her commitment to being a faithful and loving mother and wife, and her years of ministry to women, have given her many experiences from which to share her hard earned wisdom from.  I was thankful to get to read it and look forward to sharing it with my family members and friends.
I was disappointed by this book. I think I wanted the ways Clarkson offers to survive life's storms to be more concrete, less of the same things I've been hearing my whole life. It's not that those things are wrong, but I've found them to be insufficient and I hoped this book would help make up the lack.
Throughout Help, I'm Drowning, Sally tosses a life ring into a circumstance you are currently dog paddling through, one you floated through with ease or one you know someone who is personally in need of encouragement right now. Many of our lives and Sally's are similar in their struggles and triumphs and it was refreshing to be reassured that my life challenges and struggles are not unique. If you are in need of guidance during the seemingly endless chaos around us; pour yourself a hot beverage, snuggle in your favorite chair and find encouragement, reassurance, and sisterhood from the pages of this book.
Help, I’m Drowning was well written and full of examples in scripture of the Lord rescuing his people. There are also the author’s personal accounts that show how the Lord is constantly there with us and helping us through the hardships we face. Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
“Help, I’m Drowning” is a book that I wish I would have read in High School. It took me over two decades, lots of trials and tears, and complete isolation and dependancy on Christ to realize many of the gems that were presented in this book. It’s packed with so many priceless, wonderful treasures!

When someone is in the middle of the darkest dark of their lives, when things have hit rock bottom and they can’t find the light … quotes like “it’s always darkest before the dawn” are worthless. Have you ever been in that kind of darkness? I have… and it’s really dark! It’s isolating, hard, and it definitely doesn’t feel like the dawn is right around the corner!! It’s sometimes hard to remember that God still cares for you when you are in complete despair. This is why I love this book! The author comes to you like the sweetest of friends, just what you need during times like that … just to sit with you in the dark. Just like Jesus. During your shortest of days, and the longest of nights you need a friend to keep you company right where you are (in the dark) with a small flicker of light! This book is just that … light in the darkness. It provides encouragement that will meet you right where you are in a way that is so relatable! As you read the words you will find yourself rising above depression and difficulty – despair and hopelessness and into the Gods promises and biblical truths. Right where faithfulness, hope, and grace is found.

This book definitely shows how Christians should combine salt and honey to encourage and provide a healing balm for hurting friends. It’s definitely a book you’ll want to keep on your book shelf (medicine cabinet) as a quick reminder of the Lord’s goodness & faithfulness – when you’re facing the storms of loneliness, difficult seasons, disappointments, relational hurts, fear, and brokenness of life. It’s not a matter of if, but when .. and this book is packed with gems that will remind you that EVEN IF it’s hard we can hold onto the promises of God when we feel down and broken. This is why we need others to hold us up when we are unable. Someone to point us to the source of HOPE in our storms – to reflect on His Goodness and help us draw near to Him.

I highly recommend this book (especially for baby Christians), as it will help build a solid foundation of biblical truths that will help you manage the rough seas of life. Having these promises and truths written on your hearts will keep you anchored when the enemy wants to capsize your boat – and faith. When you’re being tossed around during a storm, this is definitely a book you’ll want on your bookshelf. When things get dark and hopeless, it will definitely lighten the darkest of times – and will help the reader reach safe harbor.

Therefore, everyone who hears these words of Mind, and acts on them, will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock.

MATTHEW 7:24-25
For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. if anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each persons work. if what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved – even though only as one escaping through the flames.

1 CORINTHIANS 3:11-15
I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the author. All views expressed are only my honest opinion
This book’s title is reflective of both its content and appeal. Most of us feel overwhelmed at times. It can be immeasurably helpful to know that we are not alone in those moments. A good book can help in processing, moving forward and feeling heard.

I love that the author of this book is about seventy years old. She is able to bring her accumulated wisdom to the page. Ms. Clarkson’s help can be looked at in the nautical terms of her title. She offers a life raft, an anchor, a life preserver…call it what you will to her readers.

Some of the subjects covered include Loneliness and Isolation; Disappointment in Marriage; Unexpected Challenges with our Children; and Be Gentle with Yourself. Each chapter includes something personal from the author’s life along with guidance, a suggested prayer, a bible quote and something to journal.

Note: This book is addressed to the Christian reader. I think that those of other faiths may also find some helpful guiding here.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher. All opinions are
I love all of Sally Clarkson's books and her newest book is no exception. In,Help, I'm Drowning: Weathering the Storms of Life with Grace and Hope Sally shares her journey with the storms of life. I love her heart to help mothers in all stages of life. In this book, she shares a message we all can relate to, Help I'm Drowning. She doesn't stop there but encourages us with the hope of the One who can help. Sally feels like the mentor I wish I could meet with over coffee who would share her stories of life and I could soak it all in. Thankfully Sally does this for us in her book.
As every book of Sally Clarkson this one is full of love, wisdom and encouragement.  I love her writing style and her transparency over her own struggles, she has a unique way to inspire.  Going through  the pages of this book made me feel like i am just sitting next to a sweet friend drinking a warm cup of coffee while talking.   She leads you to find and hold on the peace,  grace and love of God in your daily day even when you feel lonely and lost. Its a beautiful book.
“When we cannot see our way,
 Let us trust and still obey;
 He who bids us forward go,
 Cannot fail the way to show.
 Though the sea be deep and wide,
 Though a passage seem denied;
 Fearless let us still proceed,
 Since the Lord vouchsafes to lead.”

~Anon.

In her latest life-giving book: “Help! I’m Drowning Weathering the Storms of Life with Grace and Hope”, Sally Clarkson helps us to courageously endeavor to see all of life’s storms through the lens of God’s grace and hope in Jesus Christ, the author, and perfecter of our faith.  As a friend and recipient herself of God’s amazing grace, Sally exhorts us to remember that God calls us to faithfulness, not perfection and that the soul whole-heartedly devoted to Jesus is always safe in every state if it makes everything an occasion either of rising up, or falling down into the hands of God, exercising faith, trust and resignation to Him.  No matter the circumstances that the storms of life stir up, Sally practically shows us that the soul that eyes only God, being His alone, progresses as light and dark equally assist and anchor the soul.  In the light, the soul looks up to God.  In the darkness, it lays hold of God and so they both do the soul the same good.

Get a copy of this “gift” from one who has weathered storms in the deep sea of life with Jesus. Pour yourself a cup of tea, light a candle and sit with my friend, Sally.  Through the pages of her book you will be blessed by her God-honoring wisdom, validated, refreshed, and inspired to dwell in the light while faithfully navigating the dark storms of life with your eyes fixed on Jesus, the way, the truth, and the light.
One look at Sally Clarkson’s sweet smile and readers know they will find encouragement and lots of grace within the pages of her books. Sure enough, in our present season of disappointment and anxiety, she has come alongside her readers with empathy and hope, sharing her own story of loneliness, health challenges, career pressures,  unexpected calamity—and deliverance from fear in the storm. Hardly a one of us in the past eighteen months has failed to sigh at least once, “Help, I’m Drowning!”

A comforting arm around the shoulders is nice but more sinewy and consequential is a right understanding of God, our world, and our place in it. With that in place, all the waves that threaten to drown have, instead, the redemptive outcome of “character built, humility learned, compassion developed, and sympathy kindled.”

Our suffering is never without meaning and purpose, for God is always at work behind the scenes, and Help I’m Drowning is evidence of his work in the life of one faithful woman who has learned to say “yes” to his plan every day—even when it is not the plan she had chosen for herself. Rather than a quick fix, what we all need is a patient faith that sits with God in the process, trusting for grace. Being prepared for a storm makes all the difference.