Cover Image: The Witness

The Witness

Savannah has gone into witness protection to save her life but now she is threatened. Her mother hires private investigator Kyle Roche to track down Savannah and protect her. Can he find her and keep her alive past the deadline...?
The Witness is an action packed crime thriller set in the US. There is plenty of tension and anticipation as events unfold. The book does contain violence but at a level that I'd expect from this genre and it was not gratuitous.
Savannah is struggling to cope with the drastic changes necessary once she is put in witness protection. She misses her family and past life and can't adapt easily to her new identity. Her life is in danger after she testifies at a trial and her mother is told that Savannah will be dead by noon on Monday.
Enter Kyle Roche, private eye...!
I loved the character of Roche. He is blunt and has a wonderful turn of phrase using portmanteau word such as 'monutastically'. This makes him human and realistic. He is ruthless when he has to be but doesn't injure or kill unless it is necessary.
Roche's natural instincts make him suspicious of Savannah and believes she is hiding something from him. This adds an extra element to the plot as he muses on her behaviour to try to understand it. He is determined to keep her alive at all costs and is frustrated that she doesn't follow his instructions designed to save her!
The Witness rattled along at a relentless pace, fraught with danger, action and violence.
The nonstop action sequences  and fast pace of the narrative aren't enough to overcome the distaste I felt for the main characters in this standalone crime thriller.

A wealthy mother hires Kyle Roche to track and protect her daughter who's been secreted away under the Witness Protection program. Apparently there is a hit team on the way to kill Savannah and mom tells him that he has less than 24 hours to locate and make her safe. Because he's a fixer and has lots of legal and illegal contacts, Kyle is able to find the girl and puts plans in motion to nullify the threat. Soon he finds, however, that there are things about Savannah that aren't making sense. His mission leads to a leak in the Witness Protection program, but more is going on here than he understands. NO SPOILERS.

I'm not sure exactly where this all started going south for me as it started out well and had a good premise. I think part of the problem was the picture of Savannah that starts to emerge and caused me to feel intense dislike. Made me question Kyle's motives in keeping her around and involving her in so many of his activities when he started to be suspicious of her. Some fixer. Between her entitled and whiny attitude while spouting her woke rhetoric and her complete disregard of Kyle's directions to ensure her safety, I just wanted to leave her behind somewhere. Since the ending is a bit of a dangle, I can only hope that things ended for her the way they should. The "fight" scenes went on forever and there's only so much inflicted damage I can handle reading about at a time so those need to be clipped.

I know this author has written a previous series that I haven't read, but I don't imagine I'll be reading a second book to feature Kyle Roche. At least there was no romance.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.
I received an eARC of The Witness by John Ryder from Bookouture and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!
4 stars! I enjoyed this roller-coaster thriller. Well written and thoroughly entertaining! I can't wait to read more from this author.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

This book is well paced, and the action starts in the first 5 percent. It barely lets up after that. It's a relatively quick read, but the characters are interesting and interact well together. Dont start reading   on a night before you have to work because you will not go to sleep until it's done.
The Witness by John Ryder

Fast-paced, action-packed, thrill-ride from beginning to end. This story has an intrepid private investigator that is a whole lot more paid to keep a woman in witness protection from being killed. What will be required to fulfill this task and what will he learn while he is on the job?

What I liked:
* Kyle Roche: middle aged man with mad skills, investigator, team player, protector, lover, honest, and I have a feeling there is a lot under the surface that was not even scratched.
* The writing style – first person present, short chapters, fast-paced, hooked and kept my interest beginning to end.
* That Roche was willing to do what it took to get the job done BUT wasn’t indiscriminate.
* Roche’s ability to clue into the more than what met his eye
* The way the twist grew from beginning to end
* Thinking about Savannah and what it might have been like to be her.
* Xandra: computer savvy, hacker, associate of Roche, intrepid, intriguing
* Wanting to know more about Kyle…hints and more were given but still want to know more.
* Wondering if this might be the first book in a new series with Roche as the star.
* The way Leigh did all that he could to save innocent lives
* That Roche was not “perfect” but that he was perfect for the job
* The unearthing of The Whisperer
* Wondering what happens AFTER the book ends

What I didn’t like:
* Knowing that there are corrupt people like those in this story
* Pretty much what and who I was supposed to dislike

Did I enjoy this book? Yes
Would I read more by this author? Yes

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC – This is my honest review.

4-5 Stars

BLURB

“I need you to find and protect my daughter. I can’t even tell you where she is. All I can say is that I’ve been told she’ll be dead by noon tomorrow.”

Kyle Roche is a man who people hire to fix problems. But this time he’s been hired to protect a woman who doesn’t officially exist anymore. And he’s the only man who can find her and keep her safe in less than twenty-four hours…

The daughter’s name is Savannah Nicholls. She had to go into Witness Protection because of a tragic mistake. She moved to the small town of Pagosa Springs nine days ago but even hidden as she is, she’s in mortal danger. Savannah’s mother says her daughter is just a nice girl, from a good family, that she’s never gotten in trouble in her life.

But she also says someone knows where she is. And they want to kill her. Within minutes of making contact with Savannah, as Roche feels a bullet whistle by his ear, he knows instinctively that she’s right.

But who is after Savannah? And how can Roche protect her when he isn’t allowed to know anything about who she is—or who her enemies are?
I thought I would enjoy this book much more than I ended up doing. The pace is fast and there are two interesting plots going on but I didn’t take to Roche orSavannah the two main characters plus I found the relationship between Roche and his IT expert Xandao quite infantile and it could have been so much better.
Thrilling. Fast paced. Packed with suspense. A well written, gripping, extremely addictive read. Loved it.
The Witness is a standalone action thriller from John Ryder, I have enjoyed the author’s previous books so knew I was in for a treat.

Kyle Roche is a private investigator/fixer who operates in the no man’s land between the cops and the criminals. In this book he is tasked with locating Savannah Nicoll who is in The United States Federal Witness programme after testifying against her boyfriend.

The whole point of going into witness protection is to disappear but a leak has revealed her location…

Ignacio Perez blames Savannah for leading his son on and had openly made threats before the trial, he then approaches Savannah’s mother Ursula at a private function and informs her that her daughter will be dead within thirty nine hours. Ursula is given Kyle’s name and told if anyone can help it’s him.

Kyle is a man with a particular set of skills but this case is going to be tricky – how can he protect someone when he isn’t allowed to know anything about her or who her enemies are?

The action and intrigue starts from page one and ramps up with every chapter! I enjoyed getting to know Kyle Roche and even though this is billed as a standalone I can imagine plenty more scenarios for this new action hero.
Meet Kyle Roche, fixer and private eye. Now he’s set the ultimate challenge – find and protect someone who shouldn’t be locatable, someone who is meant to be hidden without a trace, someone in witness protection. Can he do it? Will he find who is at the centre of the threat to Savannah’s life?

And so ensues a seriously fast paced chase across the States. Roche has so much at his disposal, he has people in the know, his bag of plenty and what seems to be a wealth of real life experience. He knows what to do. He’s a man I need to know!!!

I love Xandra – she’s bold brash and takes no sh…. her banter with Roche is brilliant kind of a cross between siblings and platonic friends. Her skills are amazing!!

Wednesdays are when I read bedtime stories to kittens and orphaned dolphins.”

Yes again Ryder’s sense of humour adds a glimmer of light heartedness to this fast paced thriller. He throws in his made up words which make me smile every time – his word-smithery is cracking to the extent I knew exactly what he was saying despite it being a nonsense word!

The Witness is a brilliant read that once you start, you keep running with it. The pace pulls you into the rapid flow of the story, only letting you go after one almighty climax. Ryder has crafted an action thriller to take your breath away.
Blog tour

What a ride!
I was craving some good thriller and this book came at the perfect moment. From the beginning I got so invested that I had to finish it in one sitting.
I’m always intrigued by witness protection program and finding out what Savannah witnessed was a huge puzzle in the making that the author managed to build so flawless and interesting.
So many secrets and who to trust and who not, so many twists and turns kept me on the edge throughout the chapters.
I liked Kyle’s character arc and he was a trustworthy guy in my opinion.

If you want a great thriller, look no further than this one!
Thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for theARC in return for an unbiased review.
This turned out to be exactly my type of book.
Gripped me from the very start and kept a tight grip on me all the way through to the very last page.
Haven't read anything else by John Ryder to date but will certainly be looking at his back catalogue very soon.
Highly recommended read.
This is the phone call that Kyle Roche received. He fixes people's problems. He has to find a woman who doesn't officially exist anymore as she is in the witness protection program. He is the oly one who can find her and he has less than 24 hours. The daughter’s name is Savannah Nicholls. She had to go into Witness Protection because of a tragic mistake.
When I first started the book I thought Savannah was ok. Maybe she can take care of herself, seemed a little quiet and reserved and constantly looking over her back. The moment Kyle showed up she turned into a different woman and she wouldn't follow his directions and it got to the point where I kept yelling at my book "you are such a bitch". A little twist at the end that I didn't see.
Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for the ARC to review.
The Witness by John Ryder is a stand alone thriller introducing us to Kyle Roche, a man whose job it is to stay invisible, a fixer for the right price.
He is hired to save a woman whose life is in grave danger. Twenty five year old Savannah Nicholls is in the in United States Federal Witness Protection Program. Everywhere she goes she has to weigh up the risks and doesn't trust a single soul, meaning she lives on constant alert. With the knowledge that someone somewhere wants her dead just for speaking out and giving her testimony, Savannah frequently has to remind herself that the people she is distrusting are just getting on with their lives, just as she needs to do. Meanwhile, Savannah's mother, Ursula Parker-Nicholl, is attending a fundraising event. Majority of the other attendees are known to her but when someone comes up behind her and Ursula instantly feels their presence on the back of her neck. They whisper: “Your daughter will be dead by noon on Monday". The whisperer is Ignacio Perez, the father of a man killed by Savannah’s boyfriend in a fight that happened after him accusing  Savannah of leading him on. She speaks to the Mayor who just tells her to trust the witness protection programme .She makes the decision to hire Kyle Roche. Finding a missing person is hard enough, but one in the witness protection? Nearly impossible.Can he locate and save Savannah before her time is up?
  Another high action, pulse pounding read from John Ryder. I delighted in his previous books and I am so happy to say this book is as riveting as the Grant Fletcher series. A rollercoaster ride from page one with a character that is ruthless in his determination to get the job done while having a slightly softer side at the same time. Kyle is a character who is alao likeable and I wouldn't mind another instalment and see what he was up to. A fast paced, action filled thriller that grabs you and keeps you there until the last word.
  Thank you to Bookouture Books-On-Tour and NetGalley for the copy of this book.
This is the first John Ryder book I have read and i was hooked to the very end.

The story is well paced and flows easily. All the characters are well fleshed out and each bring something to the story.

It is action packed and full of Twists and turns that it had me on the edge of my seat the whole time
Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley, too
For my copy of this  book for which I'm sharing my honest review.

Into witness protection Savannah Nicholls is sent
After testifying as a witness to a murder event
However now her life is still in great danger
So her Mum calls for help from a total stranger.

Whilst Kyle is willing to search for, find and protect her
He has less than a day in which to get there
Will killers en route fulfil what was said
Can he really stop them leaving Savannah dead?

This story is a well written and enthralling read,
An edge of your seat thriller, yes indeed!
A story with twist, deaths, danger and revelations, too
A brilliant read for me and for you.

If gripping thrillers set your pulse racing,
With a well written plot, characters and action-packed pacing
Make sure you read this enticing book
It is worth so much more than just a look!
The Witness is a fast paced,thrilling story that will keep you guessing til the end.

This is my first book by John Ryder and it will not be my last! I really enjoyed these characters and the story itself.

Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

All thoughts and opinions are my own.
What a read. This action-packed novel features a hero that is described as looking like a “weathered gargoyle” I just loved it. If action and edge of your seat violence are what you are after you will not go wrong in reaching for this book.
This is my first John Ryder book and I was not sure what to expect. While the story is full of action from start to finish and features what appears to be a helpless female victim it soon becomes clear there is a lot more at play. The author sets out with what appears to be a predictable boy saves girl story only to swing around and deliver a revelation you never saw coming. His writing keeps you gripping the book as the punches fly….
When Kyle Roche, a private eye/fixer is hired to find a woman in witness protection that is due to be killed he has his work cut out for him. How do you find someone in witness protection?
But Roche is a man with connections and friends that have all the skills that are needed for the task. However, once he has found and saved Savannah from being killed, he also needs to find out who leaked the information about her location.
As he sets off on the hunt for the guilty party he soon discovers that Savannah is not the innocent spoilt little rich girl he believed. Racing against time he is faced with two mysteries to solve and he needs to do it without leaving any innocent dead bodies in his wake.
This book had me glued to the pages from start to finish as I rushed through it in two days. It features a lot more action than my usual reading which proved to make it an exciting and entertaining read. This book does not feature a single dull moment.
While I did not see it as being realistic, it was fun and I would recommend this if you are looking for something to escape into.
I loved Kyle Roche – the man is rude, insensitive and he makes up his own word which adds a colourful touch to his personality. While Savannah described him as looking like a weathered gargoyle, he has strong morals even when inflicting pain to get what he wants is not beyond him. This hero is far from perfects and his aggression and violence could put more sensitive readers off – I loved his thought process and his moral code.
This book is filled with violence and won’t sit well with sensitive readers but if you are open to a serious action-packed hunt for the guilty person you will find this book has everything you are looking for. I raced through The Witness and found no matter how violent I needed to know where it was going to end. So yes, this book was worth every minute I spent reading it.
Crime, thriller and action fans will love this book. If you enjoy the Jack Reacher series, then Kyle Roche will definitely leave you entertained – but be warned Mr Roche is a lot more violent.
This was a great read and it earned a four-star rating from me.
For more reviews visit the blog: https://featzreviews.com
Thank you to Bookouture for my copy of this book via netgalley and for letting me take part in this tour. I am a huge fan of John Ryder so I was very excited to read this new standalone book.

The Witness follows Roche and Savannah as they try to work out who is leaking information from the Witness protection programme.

Roche is a private eye. I really liked him. He had good morals but would cross the lines he needed to. He wouldn’t harm innocents unless he has no other option. I would actually love to see a series with Roche as the lead. I would easily read book after book following him on his cases.

Savannah is a witness to a crime and has needed to be put into protection due to a threat on her life. Savannah is very smart but sometimes she lacks street skills which is likely due to her upbringing. I have to say on many occasions Savannah was an irritating character. She never listened to Roche and constantly put herself in danger. She is a complex character too.

This book is full of action and mystery which will keep crime fans entertained long into the night. John does well to keep you both hooked and on edge. There were times when I wasn’t sure what was going to happen and how the story would turn out. I was definitely kept guessing until the very end.

As I said I would love this to turn into a series but even if it doesn’t I can’t wait to see what John brings next!
The Witness is a stand-alone action thriller set in and around Texas, about a tough-guy PI-stroke-Fixer commissioned to protect a wealthy young woman who has been placed in Witness Protection. John Ryder is the American pseudonym of British author Graham Smith, and I have read and enjoyed all three of his Grant Fletcher series, as well as his UK based Beth Young series, so had high hopes for this, but ended up liking not loving it due to the unsympathetic main characters.

Kyle Roche is hired by a Houston socialite to track down her daughter Savannah, who entered the WPP after her role as a witness in the murder of a gangster’s son, and is now marked for assassination by the family who blame her for it. With the help of his hacker friend, Roche finds her in time to prevent her being killed, but soon realises that she will never be safe until he can eliminate the people within the program who leaked her details. Savannah, refusing to be a victim, insists on coming along, but Roche starts noticing discrepancies in her story, and must find out whether he can trust her, or will she get them both killed?

I do like tough guy heroes in the Reacher mold, but they can get a bit samey, and Roche isn’t particularly interesting, despite hints at his adventurously shady past, apart from his tendency (which I share) to make up words at whim. Savannah is downright unlikeable - bitchy, reckless, self-pitying and accepting no responsibility for her situation. Roche puts up with her nonsense for flimsy reasons and we do get an explanation for her behaviour, but it’s not that convincing. I liked the action & fight scenes and some of the plot twists, but wasn’t as gripped as I should’ve been for this type of book - it’s taken me nearly a week to finish which is unusual for me. This is described as a stand-alone, but there’s a hint in the afterword that Roche may be back, but the annoying present tense narration would stop me from continuing with this as a series. 3.5 rounded down.

I received an ARC from Bookouture via NetGalley and am posting this review voluntarily.
The Witness is available now.
Kyle Roche is a man who is hired to take care of things who need big things fixed.  A mother of a child who is in the Witness Protection Program needs his help as her daughter's life has been threatened and these bad people know where she is and how to get here which means there are bigger fish to fry - within the government and the program.  So Kyle is off to first fine the target and then to find the real problem within.

This was an interesting book as it was not just a story about rescuing the damsel in distress, but also trying to find the leak within.  For me these two parts of the book were great as it was a lot of cat and mouse and chasing and outsmarting, but the book went south for me when the hunted became the hunter.  I don't want to share too much and spoil the book, but Savannah's storyline itself just didn't fit for me in the book.  It felt as though too much was revealed too late in the game and I wish the reader knew more earlier in the book to understand her decisions and her motives.

This was my first John Ryder read and while I didn't love all the details in this book, I did enjoy the overall plot and storyline, so I would be intrigued to try his other series and see if I enjoy those a bit more than this one.