Cover Image: Fighting Words Devotional

Fighting Words Devotional

Fighting Words is a great devotional. I learned about this book from Proverbs 31 since they are doing their Online Bible Study on it at the moment of this review. I am really enjoying this book and the devotionals plus the way Proverbs 31 is handling the study along with this book makes it really amazing. I always wanted to do a devotional but always have trouble finding one. Plus this has 100 days worth of devotionals which is even better because I seen a lot that are like 30 days long and its always nice to have something that is longer than a month. I would recommend this book for those who are seeking out a devotional book to go along with your daily Bible study time. Plus I really enjoy the author Ellie Holcomb!
**Note: I received a copy of this book from netgalley.com in exchange for my review of the book.
Encouraging and beautiful! Ellie’s words are inspired and thoughtful. The short, daily reads are a great way to start or end the day, filling your mind with the truth of God’s Word.
This is a great devotional! Each daily entry is short and can be read in a few minutes but provides helpful food for thought, showing how the truth of God's Word applies to real-life situations and how it can be used to fight back against fear, anxiety or discouragement. I appreciated the reflection questions provided at the end of each chapter as they encourage you to think specifically about how the content applies to your own life. I also liked the encouragement to memorise verses of Scripture. Very encouraging and helpful!
I am not quite finished with this book yet because it is a 100 day devotional, but I seriously love it!  The timeliness of the content could not have come at a more appropriate time in my life and with all that we are dealing with as a society.  Very thankful for the opportunity to read this book!
Grateful to have found this book.  Ellie Holcomb is an amazing artist who took her talents to this book.  Truly a life changing read.  Enjoyed reading these words in a dark world and knowing that better times are always ahead with God in our corner.  Highly recommend reading it.
I was so excited to receive this book as I am going to be doing a study with it soon!  I liked to content so much that I bought a physical copy and am overjoyed with!  The cover is beautiful and the inside illustrations are just really nice!  I hope everyone who reads this learns some fighting words!
Did not finish. I expected it to be like a typical devotional - short and light, and it was…almost too short and light. It felt lazy. Women deserve more than just seconds of vague encouragement. These are unprecedented times we are living in and we need the Truth. I’ve been seeing it advertised for busy moms who may not have time to dig into theology…if all you have is half a minute a day to devote to the Lord, you’d be much better off spending 30 seconds in the Word than 3 days in this book. When Ellie mentioned a quote from a popular false teacher, I decided I had read enough.
This is a fantastic book for people who are busy and are wanting to grow in their ability to have a consistent quiet time, but struggle with making time for it in their schedule. Each devotional is about a page and a half to two pages and focuses on one or two verses for the day. Ellie's writing is very encouraging and uplifting. She really speaks to people who struggle with mental health challenges, as well as people who have had a difficult time lately. This is also the kind of book I would gift to a friend who is getting over some traumas or loss and can't focus for a very long time. It's just enough of a bite to keep you going while you heal. It is not at all a book that would be overwhelming or would send the message of, "here's a book to fix your life." That said, it is not the deepest theologically, but it's not errant either.
The book intrigued me from the beginning and it was pertinant to me at that time. I have fallen in love with this devotional and told others about it.
Hopefully this is the beginning of many more! Looking forward to reading others.
Love this! The content is great and so thought provoking. I appreciate the way the info is laid out. The cover is also really pretty.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book. I really enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised by this, which is always great. It is highly recommended!
My favourite part was the questions posed at the end of the devotionals. I found the content of the devotionals and the questions to be thorough, relatable and thought provoking. I enjoyed hearing bits and pieces of Ellie's story and journey. Overall, if you are on the search for a great, practical devotional - I highly recommend this one!

I read and reviewed this book for my honest opinion on Netgalley.
The devotional is a great beginners devotional or for someone who is coming back to faith. It’s a wonderful reminder of basic biblical principles. I found myself mulling over the topics covered and appreciated the honesty of each lesson shared. I would recommend it for someone looking for a few minutes if Bible study time and beautiful Bible verse illustrations.
I've been loving reading these short bits of truth in the morning. The behind the scenes stories of Ellie's songs have also been inspiring and give me fresh ears and meaning when listening to her albums. I can't wait to get my hands on the paper copy as the cover looks gorgeous!
I appreciate how short these are, plus the title and cover? Amazing. This is the perfect bite-sized amount of light-filled truth to illuminate the darker moments of this COVID-19 world. Thanks for adding this, Netgalley!
A great devotional that really has deep questions that make you think and reflect. A great devotional that could easily be journal prompts. Reads like Ellie Holcomb is speaking to you and is so easy to enjoy. Highly recommend!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley for review. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.
Ellie Holcomb shares short devotionals revolving around “fighting words,” what she calls verses in the Bible that we can cling onto, memorize, and dwell on to fight off the lies of the enemy of our souls, the woes of the world, and the days that seem to be without hope.

Each day shares a verse or a couple of verses and then Holcomb shares what she has learned from them and/or how they’ve helped her fight battles of the heart and mind. The thoughts and stories are biblically sound and very relatable. The length was perfect. It was long enough to have depth, but short enough to fit into a hectic schedule easily. I have found this an uplifting devotional and helpful during days when things feel very hard. Highly recommended.

I received an ARC of this title from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
In fighting word Ellie shares verses to put in our minds for when the attacks of doubt, the craziness of life overwhelms us with relatable stories and questions to get you asking and memorizing these words. I love this devotional so much and can't wait to have and share with everyone close to me
The devotionals vary in length and every few entries include lyrics from one of Ellie Holcomb's songs. Each devo ends with a couple questions to consider and a very short prayer. I skimmed most of the questions (they aren't great), but I did appreciate Ellie's insights.
Full disclosure, I have yet to finish this book. Not because it is bad, quite the opposite. I got this as an ARC, for which I am grateful, however I love the structure of the book (and the words!) so much that I don't want to hurry through it, instead I'll leave a preview review as I wait to get a physical copy of this devotional.

What is great about it?
I like the layout first of all, I also like the illustrated quotes that appear at intervals. At first I wasn't sure about the lack of space to write in the book, however, keeping your notes separate will make it easier to re-visit and lend this book to others if you wish, so that's a plus when I think about it.

I also really like the structure of each day - your have a Bible quote, a segment from the author that is personal but not too personal, questions for contemplation, then a prayer. I really thought that the questions were very effective and powerful, which is partly why I want this as a physical copy. I need to dwell on some of these questions, as well as the prayers (which are a perfect way to finish each day of reading).

Once I started bookmarking every page on my tablet I knew it was something I would need to get it and that a digital copy wasn't enough.

So, even if I didn't finish it I can already, in good conscience, recommend it!

Thank you so much to the publishers, the author, and Netgalley for this ARC, I look forward to the print!