Cover Image: Cold Brew Corpse

Cold Brew Corpse

Grounds for Murder and Cold Brew Corpse by Tara Lush are the first and second book respectively in the cozy A Coffee Lover’s Mystery series. As with most cozy mysteries each book in this series has it’s own mystery that will be fully solved so they can be read as a standalone or in any order if choosing to do so. There will be character development that carries over from book to book though for those that follow the series from the beginning.

Lana Lewis has returned to Devil’s Beach, Florida and started a new career after leaving her journalist job. Lana is now in charge of her family’s coffee shop, Perkatory, which is a whole new world for Lana. In the first book of the series, Grounds for Murder, Lana is just about to enter the Sunshine State Barista Championship when her best employee quits on her. When Fabrizio “Fab” Bellucci is found murdered right after leaving Perkatory of course Lana ends up a suspect and needs to do everything to clear her name.

Cold Brew Corpse finds Lana back in action at Perkatory when the neighboring business owner is found murdered. With things heating up at the Dante’s Inferno yoga studio next door Lana finds herself balancing her coffee shop and also taking a job part time for the local newspaper covering the murder. Lana discovers that the owner of Dante’s Inferno has more than her share of enemies so even after her initial story is turned in Lana can’t help but keep rooting out new suspects in hopes of finding her second murderer.

When I first spotted the A Coffee Lover’s Mystery series I was torn on whether to give this one a try or not. First I love beachy settings and with this one being in Florida I was drawn to the covers and wanted to dive right in. However, I’m not a coffee lover so this one seemed like I may not be the reader since sometimes cozies can dive really deep into their themes but thankfully this one wasn’t too overpowering to be a turn off for me. When finished with the first book I had it at three and a half stars enjoying the characters, setting and mystery enough to want to return. Now having read the second I am enjoying the series even more as it really showed the main characters journalistic side. There’s also a budding romance with the detective involved and I like when the law enforcement side is involved and not made out to be useless. So now after two books of this series I definitely call myself a fan and will return for more in the future.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
The second in this cozy mystery series is an enjoyable story. Fast pacing and twists keep you guessing. Lana is developing nicely and I love her budding relationship with Noah. I didn't guess the killer or motive ahead of time which makes the story a success for me. I'm looking forward to what comes next.

Although I didn't had the privilege to read the first book of the series before picking up this one, I'm glad to say that I'll be searching my bookstores for the first. I enjoyed the dynamics of the relationship between characters. (made me wish I had the same father-daughter relationship irl too ) Regardless, I enjoyed this read and its setting, loved the pacing. Great cozy read.
Cold Brew Corpse by Tara Lush is the 2nd book in A Coffee Lover's Mystery series, and another solid addition.   Lana Lewis returns home to Florida after getting a divorce. Lana is now managing her family's coffee shop, Perkatory, in Devil's Beach, FL.   When the local yoga studio's owner is murdered, and the local newspaper asks Lana to cover the murder, she is excited to return to her first love, journalism.  I found this book to be fun with many twists and turns, that keep me reading.  The plot and characters are well developed, and I enjoy the quirky characters in the book.  I recommend this book, and I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
I've been enjoying ARCs from this publisher because I have found several new series to follow. I really liked this story and its setting. Lana is a good MC, and I like the setting of a coffee shop next to a yoga studio in a small beach town with a tourist clientele. Kind of standard for a mystery series like this, but the characters are interesting and the writing is good. This is the second book in the series, and I was compelled to go back to the first even though its events were mostly spoiled for me after reading book two.

This is a solid cozy mystery with enough intrigue to keep you guessing. I was interested in Lana and her father, and look forward to learning more about her and her past life as a reporter as the series continues.
I was really looking forward to the 2nd book in this series after having enjoyed the first book so much.  This book had a different feel than the first.  I missed the wait dialogue that was woven throughout the first book.  I also felt like I didn't enjoy Lana as much in this book either.  She came off as more judgemental than I recalled.  I also missed her dad.  He wasn't as large of a presence and I found I missed his hippie vibe.  I am an experienced ARC reader so I understand that these are uncorrected proofs and typically that is not a problem.  However, I feel like some of my enjoyment in this book might have been dimmed by the poor quality of this ARC.  It was almost like the editor hated the letters f and i because they were missing from many words on the page.  As I read this book, there were at least five instances on a page where words were missing letters and as a result, I had to "fill in the blanks" so to speak.  Because of this, my concentration was less on the book and more on trying to make sure I interpreted the correct words.  I will probably try to re-read this when it's released and in my library.  Hopefully, my enjoyment might increase.

I voluntarily read a digital advanced reader copy provided to me by the publisher, Crooked Lane Books, through NetGalley.  The thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.
Thank you NetGalley, Tara Lush and Crooked Lane Books for the copy of Cold Brew Corpse. This is my personal review.
This is the second book in the series A Coffee Lover’s Mystery.
I enjoyed this book as much as the first book and can not wait for the next one in the series.
Lana Lewis is back with us and all the wonderful characters who surround her in these books is fantastic. The author has made me want to go to Lana’s espresso coffee bar Perkatory. The location is amazing for these books.
Lana is so busy with her business that her love of sleuthing has taken a back seat but when the Raina owner of the local yoga study turns up dead Lana knows she has to  find out what happened.
The path to finding out the truth was crooked, and the real killer was not at all who I thought it was going to be.
This was the first book I read in the series. I enjoyed it immensely and plan to go back and read the first book. This book was a breath of fresh air.   I appreciated the fact that the author touched on a little bit what was going today in the world.  Lana Lewis was a down to earth character. Someone who you could relate to.  The characters in the book are lovable and I wish they could all be my fiends.  The mystery kept me guessing up to the end. I thought for sure I had it all figured out and bam it was someone I wasn’t expecting!
Fresh off her win at the Sunshine State Barista Championship- and figuring out who killed her former barista- coffee shop owner Lana finds herself FINALLY going on a date with local police chief Noah. Unfortunately, Noah gets called away on a missing persons report before Lana even arrives. When the missing person turns out to be a local yoga instructor- and girlfriend of a prominent politician's son- Lana's investigative reporting side comes out. It doesn't take long before Lana discovers that the missing woman wasn't as liked as she appeared to be, so when the victim is found dead, the list of suspects is long and varied. It'll take all of Lana's journalistic skills to get this mystery figured out so that she can get her long-awaited date night with Noah!

It seems very rare for a sequel/book two to pick up right after where the first book left off, but Cold Brew Corpse does just that. And to be honest, it works perfectly! Characters introduced in book one are nicely fleshed out, with the exception of Lana's dad, who I really hope to see more of in future books. Book two also introduces some backstory in the form of a mystery from Lana's youth, which will hopefully be further explored in books to come.

All in all, the author has definitely created a fun series, one which fans of Cleo Coyle's coffeehouse series, as well as any other cozy-reading coffee lover, will completely enjoy!
This is the 2nd book in the “A Coffee Lover’s Mystery” series. I adored the first in series with its well crafted sleuth, great charcters and a fun coffee shop theme set in Florida. Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the opportunity. My review opinion is my own.

In this next in series we return to our favorite protagnist Lana busy managing her parents coffee shop Perkatory. The business is very brisk thanks to the yoga studio next door. Lana is settling into her life with her family, her puppy and enjoying life in picturesque Florida.  She and likes running the coffee shop after working as a reporter in her former life. When a  murder occurs the local paper editor ask Lana to step up and help investigate much to the chagrin of the local police.

Soon Lana is deep into clues and red herrings as suspects abound. Will Lana solve this mystery of the victims untimely demise ? She is using all her reporter savvy to stop at nothing until she finds the suspect.

A fun series with likable fun charcters and a well crafted sleuth. I enjoyed this next in series and look forward to the next in this fun series.
This is the second book in the Coffee Lover’s Mystery series and it picks up right on the heels of book 1.    Lana Lewis runs Perkatory in Devil’s Beach Florida and is surrounded by an interesting group of people.  I loved getting to know them more throughout this book which lead with strong character growth and development.  Lana is still struggling with the changes in her life that brought her back to Devil’s Beach and seems to really have a lot of inner turmoil over reconciling her past against a present and figuring out exactly what about her is who she is vs. what she does.  Erica, her new friend and barista, really helps her - mostly by calling Lana on her crap from time to time.  I loved it!  Also growing in this book is Lana’s relationship with Chief Noah. They have some good discussions on boundaries and what it would take to make a relationship work professionally.

The missing persons case the mystery focuses on was a nice change of pace from murder and mayhem and really kept me guessing right up to the end.

Overall a five star Cozy.  I highly recommend this series!
I’ve been so anxious to read this sequel after absolutely loving the first book. It definitely didn’t disappoint, establishing this as a new favorite cozy mystery series to keep up with.

What I loved:
- The setting! Devil’s Beach, FL is an eclectic town full of laid back vibes, interesting shops and quite a few devious primates. I always enjoy the scenes in Perkatory, the coffee shop. I would easily hang out there as I contemplate which drink and goodie to order for the day.
- Yoga. The victim owned a local yoga studio so a lot sleuthing happens amongst the other instructors and classes. I’m a practicing yogi so I loved all the descriptions and watching Lana awkwardly try out a few poses.
-Humor. I laughed out loud numerous times throughout this story. Just wait until you see which unique class Lana accidentally walks in on. Her clumsiness and inner thoughts make me smile!!
- The side characters. The cast truly adds to the delight and storyline in this series. I especially love the dad, Erica, and of course the police chief/ love interest Noah. I like that their romance it slowly developing and still in that new flirtatious stage.

The mystery kept me on my toes the entire time and shocked me when it came to the big reveal. There were so many believable red herrings and I honestly had two other suspects at the top of my list for the majority of the book. It held my interest the entire time as I read a bit more and collected clues.

I hope there will be a book three! I’d love to spend more time with these characters and see what’s in store for Lana next as she takes her passion for writing in maybe a different direction.
Trendy book clearly geared to the younger crowd with no longer term sustainability that will withstand the test of time.  Easy read that doesn't require focus or attention on the part of the reader.
This book starts immediately where the first book ended! I love the humor in this series. I also love the father-daughter relationship. My only complaint is that I can't have as much coffee as I want while reading this. I highly recommend this series. Especially if you love coffee, humor, murder, and a dash of romance :)
Second book in the Coffee Lover's Mystery series

Former journalist Lana Lewis is hoping that her recent win with fellow barista Erica
will attract more customers to her Perkatory Café. When Raina, the owner of the
yoga studio next door is reported missing, Lana is hired to write a story about the
missing woman. People acquainted with Raina either loved her or hated her.
As she continues to investigate, a concern is how this will impact her relationship
with police chief Noah Garcia.

Thanks to NetGalley for a copy.
“Cold Brew Corpse” by Tara Lush
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Release Date: 12/2/21

Thank you Netgalley for this Arc! This is the 2nd book in the “A Coffee Lover’s Mystery” series. I did not read the 1st book and don’t feel like I missed too much. Other than character development you can read this as a stand-alone.

What’s better than Coffee and a good mystery? A book that combines both of those things. I read this in two days! I enjoyed every minute of this cozy mystery!
Lana was a journalist in Miami, but recently moved back to her small island town in Florida after she was laid off and divorced. She starts to realize all the things she missed about the town she grew up in! She is now running the coffee shop her parents owned. She is loving experimenting with Cold Brew and the quiet life on the island. Her current dating prospect Noah the police chief is making the move even better. When the owner of the Yoga studio next to her coffee shop goes missing she finds herself slipping into her old investigative journalist ways. When she starts investigating she discovers a few things. Raina is not very liked, greedy, and all about the fame.
3.5*

This is the 2nd book in this series by Tara Lush. I absolutely loved the first book so I was looking forward to the next installment.

This book wasn't as good as the first IMO. The main character, Lana, is quite a handful and immature at times. The mystery was a bit hard to figure out due to the 'red herrings' throughout (which always happens in cozy mysteries) and I especially loved reading about the growing romance between the main character and the police chief, Noah, though the number of missed connections between them became quite stale as the book went on.

However I am looking forward to Book #3 and what is next for this sleuth!

Thanks NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Cold Brew Corpse is the second installment in the Coffee Lover's Mystery series. In this one the owner of a yoga studio goes missing. I was looking forward to reading this sequel as I really enjoyed the first one but after the first couple of pages things began to go downhill.

So many things I loved about Grounds For Murder were absent from the story. There was no quirky humor. Yes there were a few situations that were meant to be funny but they didn't come off well and the overall tone throughout was darker.

Lana's Dad is one of my favorite characters. Whenever he is on the page the scene is immediately livened up but he wasn't around much this time. That left way more time for Lana alone. Reporting was Lana's focus this time and it takes too much away from the coffee shop and is less interesting. I also didn't really believe in her as a reporter. It's no wonder she lost her job in Miami with the way she interviews people.

There was also a new side to Lana that I didn't care for. She seems very judgmental of anyone and anything she personally doesn't like or understand. She comes across as a bit of a mean girl in her thoughts at least.

The majority of the story moves too slowly. When things finally pick up it feels kind of rushed and slightly unbelievable. Also the writing itself was lacking making this less than an enjoyable and cozy read. I was really disappointed and wish I could write a more positive review but just can't.

Thank you Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for the chance to read.
This is a thoroughly enjoyable 2nd book in the series. I love the setting and the majority of the characters. I must say Erica and Lana's Dad the most in this book. The murder was definitely interesting and I really enjoy when I haven't figured out who the killer is. All in all I enjoyed the book and love the series!
Didn't realize this was a series when I requested it, my bad. Was readable as a standalone and that's always nice in a series. Fun read with a really cute title that caught that my eye.