Cover Image: The Family Across the Street

The Family Across the Street

This one was a gripping read that starts with a bang and completely had my attention right from the start!
Such an intense read, that kept me on the edge of my seat and completely intrigued as to why Katherine and her twins, Sophie and George are being held hostage at gunpoint by one person that should love and protect them!
Told in multiple timelines, we get a good insight to the characters and their background. A Fast-paced and suspenseful story with nice short chapters! Quite the thrill ride!
This was a first read of this author for me and definitely won't be my last!
A quiet street disrupted by the sound of gunshots. A family home that has become a prison. A race against time to prevent a tragedy...
The Family Across The Street is a stand alone psychological thriller set in Australia. The book is written from four perspectives: former bad boy Logan, nosy neighbour Gladys, Katherine and her captor. We learn from the prologue that a dangerous crisis is taking place within Katherine's house and then go back in time over the past few hours to see how events unfolded.
I was instantly drawn towards the characters of Logan and Gladys. Their lives have been full of difficulties and they are intensely vulnerable. Logan's life has been blighted by bad choices and a poor upbringing. He is often judged for his criminal background and feels very guilty for his previous behaviour. Gladys cares for her husband Lou who has Parkinsons. They have no children and her world revolves around trying to make human connections to combat the loneliness.
The scenes from Katherine and her captor's viewpoint show the crisis within their family, with 5 year old twins in danger which heightens the tension. There are some violent actions and a gun in involved.
Psychology features heavily in this book, especially with regard to the impact of parenting on a child's psyche. Katherine is concerned about the state of her marriage and considering the possible impact on her twins. Her captor has been significantly affected by his own parents' animosity towards each other. Logan's mother has failed him, causing his behaviour to spiral and he is struggling to prove himself worthy of a second chance.
The Family Across The Street is a thoroughly entertaining and tense novel about families and human instincts.
Thanks to Netgalley for this book.  I found it to be ok, but I found that the storyline dragged a bit, and it was confusing at times as there were so many characters.  It was also a bit too predictable but overall a good read.
This was a great read and kept me gripped from page one.  The story is written from multiple POVs and takes place over a morning.
At first look it’s the perfect family neighbourhood but Kathryn and Josh don’t seem to join in with the neighbours.   They have five year old twins, George and Sophie.  One morning a delivery driver tries to deliver a parcel but Kathryn refuses to open the door.   Gladys the next door neighbour thinks its odd that their blinds are still shut.  What follows is an unfolding of a situation where nothing it quite what it seems.
This was a great page turner and the multiple characters all had their own subplots.
 Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
What a rush! This book captured me from the first chapter. It was beautifully written from multiple characters perspectives. It invokes real terror throughout. But what really made this spectacular was the insane plot twist at the very end. It will leave your jaw in the floor and your heart in your throat. This was a fantastic read.
Before I begin,  let me start by saying that the synopsis for this book is not quite accurate. It was also originally called Home Sweet Home.
The story begins in a quiet neighborhood in Sydney. Margo is home with her baby when she hears a loud crack from outside. As she goes to investigate, she notices police cars pull up at the house across the street, where the West family lives. The neighborhood "busybody", Gladys, yells at her to go back inside as someone has a gun.
Katherine and John West are raising their twins in this usually quiet neighborhood. Gladys lives next door and makes it her business to know everything going on in the neighborhood. This particular morning she begins to worry as she hasn't seen the twins heading off to school. She recalls John's car screeching off earlier and assumes there has been an argument between the couple. As the day continues,  a series of events cause her to worry even more.
Logan has not had an easy life and has made many mistakes in his past. He's trying to make a fresh start and put his past behind him. His newest job as a delivery driver has him at the West house that same morning. When the woman of the house refuses to open the door to accept the package,  Logan cannot help feeling that something is wrong.
What is happening in the West house?

I did not see the twist in this book coming and I literally went back and read parts because I assumed I knew what was happening. We get different perspectives from the four main characters in the story. We learn more about each one's past and current situations. I thought all the characters were well developed and complex. This was definitely a page turner, although there were parts that dragged a bit. I have always enjoyed Nicole Trope as an author and this was no exception.

Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for the advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
The Family Across the Street is a quick, captivating and suspenseful read. On a quite morning on a tree-lined street Gladys notices something seems amiss with the young family next door. Katherine and her husband John are the parents of young twins and seemingly in love with a happy marriage. When they hear an argument the night before and tires screeching from John, Gladys realizes the twins weren't on their way to school that morning. Her husband urges her to mind her own business (as she has apparently called local authorities often over neighborhood issues).  Around the same time a delivery driver attempts to deliver a package that requires a signature and Katherine won't let him in-and urges him to leave.  Unfolding over the course of a day, the layers are pulled back, the little signs become major warnings and tragedy strikes. Trope's fast-paced storytelling, complete with twists, makes this a good read if you're looking for a quick psychological thriller!

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest feedback.
A really topical and important theme in this novel.

Unfortunately, the pacing fell a bit flat for me in the first half and I wasn't really surprised by the twists. The second half however is super tense, and the pace really picks up. Just wish it was a bit more balanced there.
Wow! This one was honest to goodness hard to put down! Gladys lives on Hogarth St with neighbours Margot and also Katherine and John West. Logan is a reformed criminal trying to make a fresh start with the support of his wife Debbie and his sister Maddy. Their lives are brought together on one steaming hot day when something goes horribly wrong in the West house. I won't give too much away but there were quite a few plot twists that I did not see coming and I just wanted to keep reading as the writing was amazing and built suspense. Told from different viewpoints that help give you an understanding of the different characters and their lives, this was a amazing read!
This story kept me on the edge of my seat.  The unfolding drama is told through various characters fueled my anxiety.  The twist was different but I figured it out about halfway through.  This did not affect the thrill ride the story took me on.  It was just a little difficult to follow and the story dragged a little in the beginning because of the multiple narrators.  Still, once the story got moving it was action packed and I would recommend it for anyone that likes thrillers.
A gripping psychological thriller set in a quiet suburb on a hot summers day.  A new family in the neighbourhood.  Everything seems happy - but maybe not quite right.  A neighbour, a delivery man - all feel uneasy.  Should they intervene?

A disturbing but compelling psychological thriller which seems much darker than the author's previous novels.   One of those books that you couldn't put down and left you feeling uneasy - what would you have done in those circumstances?

Thoroughly recommended!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance review copy.
Nicole Trope did an excellent job showing the reader how the most wicked people can reside in the loveliest of houses. The neighborhood that welcomes the new residents is in no way ready for the Wests that shy away from all neighborly contact and, as it turns out, with very good reason!
The first chapter was intriguing enough for me to keep reading but then it quickly got slow-paced and there were too many characters that were hard to follow. Other domestic thriller fans might enjoy this one more than I did.
This one needs to go on your TBR list immediately. THIS is how you write a psychological thriller that keeps readers on the edge of their seat from the second they open the book to that moment they finish and exhale and think "holy shit, that was insane." This was so well written, from its fast pacing despite the entire story taking place in the space of a day, to its compelling characters and intricately interweaved storylines. The ending absolutely took me by surprise and took me a few minutes to actually grasp what I was reading. I had to go back in my brain and recall everything I had just read with a totally different frame of mind and new information that completely changed my view of the characters and their stories. Endings like these give me faith in the genre again. This was so believable, heartwarming, and heartbreaking at the same time. This one will stick with me. I cannot wait to read more from Nicole Trope. The Family Across the Street is one you don't want to miss.
Absolutely one of the best books I have read this year! Gripping from start to finish, this one will definately not disappoint. I took a chance requesting this book but I am so glad I did. The story starts with a young mother looking out onto her quiet street, and suddenly hearing what sounded like a gunshot. What unfolds is truly a rollercoaster and had me on the edge of my seat trying to guess what was going to happen next. If you are a fan of crime, thrillers and twists then this one is for you. One of those books where the characters stay with you for a very long time. I will be looking out for more by this author!
Wow, what a phenomenal read!  Full of the things I crave, as a thriller lover!  Well written, intense, and unputdownable!  Absolutely fast paced, with many twisty turns and shocks!  A fun, chilling thrill ride, your sure to not want to get off!  Highly, highly recommend!
Great book
Loved everything about this book
You will not want to put it down
With a great big twist
Thanks NetGalley
The Family Across the Street by Nicole Trope was another excellent book by Nicole and I was hooked within the first few pages. I love the way Nicole writes, her books always have great twists and turns throughout that will have you gripped.

How well do you know the people next door?

Do know them? really know them?

Do they have any secrets? are they hiding from something or someone?

I wonder.................... Why does everyone  wants to live on Hogarth Street, the pretty, tree-lined avenue with its white houses.........and what a new family moves in, called the Wests, they seem to be a perfect fit. Katherine and Josh  and their gorgeous five-year-old twins George and Sophie. all seems to be just perfect for Hogarth Street.

On a very hot day in Australia on the 15th December at 2.30pm on Hogarth Street ...........THREE gunshots are heard from the home of John and Katherine West,

Are they Okay? OMG............................ Are the Twins hurt?

Three gunshots............Four people live in this house.............Who fired the Gun?

The whole street stands still.........waiting for another gunshot!!!!

Has the Police been phoned? OMG............

WoW...... This book is a psychological thriller! and what a book this was! and very realistic story.
I highly recommend it......Just Brilliant from the beginning till the end!!!

Big 5 stars from me.

Big thank you to NetGalley and especially to Bookouture for the much appreciated arc in return for an honest review.
I really enjoyed this book.  It was a great storyline with excellent characters.  I would highly recommend this book as it was a great read.
The Family Across the Street by Nicole Trope is a domestic thriller set in Australia.
I couldn't put it down and didn't see the twist coming.
Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.