Cover Image: The Shattered Crown

The Shattered Crown

The Shattered Crown by Maxym M. Martineau was an excellent conclusion to the Beast Charmer Trilogy.

Leena and Noc went on one heck of a ride in this book, and the action was pretty much non-stop from beginning to end. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was glad to see a couple of the other characters' perspectives, and I actually wish we would have gotten a bit more from them.

While I overall liked the wrap-up of the series, I do wish we would have gotten more conclusive HEAs from the other characters and couples as well.

***I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advance Reader Copy generously provided by the publisher via NetGalley.***
Honestly you can’t read this as a stand-alone, it’s best to review the first two books because there’s bound to be things you forgot about. It had quite a few surprises but of course there was a happy ending that almost brings you to tears. You further see the progression of Leena’s power and start to understand how her and Noc settle into a partnership. It’s an easy book to get lost in and you can finish it in a day easily. I don’t want to say too much since it’s the last book in the series and anything I say will either spoil this book or the previous ones. I can just say that I highly recommend it and you won’t regret reading it.
This is the conclusion of the Charmers trilogy, and it is the conclusion of Leena And Noc’s story. We find Leena and Noc gearing up to go to war against Yazmin and the ether one. This journey is packed with action, batttles, and a few surprises like Leena’s parents and the lost charmers. Leena and Noc are pair bonds and they put that to the test with ultimae sacrifices. One thing is for sure, Leena has given up her family to the king before, and she will not lose them again. This time her family are the charmers, assassins, Noc, and her beasts. She will sacrifice anything to keep them safe.
I really enjoyed The Shattered Crown! Since I started at the end of the series, I'll be grabbing Kingdom of Exiles (Book 1) to jump right back in from the beginning!!

I would place this series in New Adult.

Thanks NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire for this ARC in exchange for my honest review!
When Leena Edenfrell swore herself to the Frozen Prince, Noc Feyreigner, she never dreamed she'd ignite the flames of war. And yet as their enemies combine forces against them, Leena and Noc have no choice but to gather their allies and fight. While Noc makes moves to reclaim their lost throne, Leena acts as the new Crown of the Charmer's Council, searching for a way to stop the enemy from raising an ancient creature destined to burn their world to ash.

But no matter how hard they fight—for each other, for their friends, and for everyone who looks to them to lead—Leena can't escape the feeling that her time is running out.

Soon a winged shadow reigns over Lendria, and Leena is the last thing standing between everyone she loves and total destruction. It's in that moment that Noc and Leena discover the true price of victory: in order to tame the ancient dragon, Leena will have to sacrifice her own heart...and lose herself in the process.

Noc and Leena are amazing...   What an epic adventure and wonderful lover story.   :)   The first two books were great and the conclusion is stunning.   Lots of action, excitement...   It's fast-paced and there isn't a boring part honestly.    All the beloved characters all got their arcs....    Love this series.

Thanks to the publisher for providing an arc.
Thank you NetGalley for sending this arc for an honest review!

“Dark magic, mythical beasts, undying assassins, and forbidden love” YO WHAT MORE CAN I ASK FOR?? This epic fantasy was exactly the thing I was looking for, including all the tropes a reader can dream of. The world building was incredible the writing was immaculate and the charcater growth? Just chefs kiss
Maxym has done it again!!! The epic conclusion to Noc and Leena's story was just as amazing as its predecessors. The Shattered Crown leaves us with Leena, now Crown of the Charmers, uniting her people with Cruor's assassins in hope to stop Yazmin from raising the destructive beast Ocnolog and to take down King Varek. Her family is by her side but they will have to deal with old grudges, new alliances, secrets unfolded, struggling relationships, and the dangers that can tear Leena and Noc's loved ones apart as well as their heart.

As with the other two books, I was instantly immersed into the plot. In fact, by chapter 5 I was already crying. There is so much going on in this book that no chapter was slow or felt like it dragged on. Maxym's attention to detail in describing her surroundings and her character's emotions has not only vastly improved, but its been polished in a way that you can't help but feel sucked into the world and feel like you are along these characters, seeing what they are seeing.

Although the story's focus remains to be Noc and Leena, there were certain chapters which we saw from the perspective of Calem, Ozias, Kost, and Gaige and I loved them. Since book 1, Maxym has given us these 4 different characters with personalities that compliment each other as well as Noc and Leena and you've grown to love them just as much as the main characters. Having these few chapters not only gave a change of pace, but it also masterfully set up what might be the stories for the next 3 books. They each have their own struggles and relationships to deal with and each of their singular chapters provided us enough information to know there is more for them to say of their story, and give us a taste of what we could hope to expect.

As always, the writing is superb and I love the way Maxym describes her world. Its exciting, its vivid, and its beautiful. As part of my honest review and critique, I must point out that at first glance, the ending was action-packed and epic and it stayed true to the whole vibe and message this series has carried out since Kingdom of Exiles. However, when going over it more intricately, the ending felt a bit tropey and cheesy. It was easy to visualize the scenes with Leena at the final battle and it reminded me of what I would see in a Pokemon show which I do enjoy. But again, it felt very tropey.

Overall, I adored this series. I adore these characters. I love Maxym's world and her writing. And I am absolutely stoked for the next 3 books to come.
The Shattered Crown by Maxym M. Martineau, I've been a fan of this series since the beginning and felt this was a good conclusion. Leena and Noc are back with their band of fellows that we have come to know and love. With greater trouble coming and pursuit from all sides how can they possibly overcome all the obstacles being thrown at them?
Overall this one was a very enjoyable read and a fantastic addition to the series! I felt like the character arcs were all perfect, the action was good and the ending was satisfying!