Cover Image: 33 Women

33 Women

Sisters Celine and Pip, along with their family friend Una, are called to their late mother's home to settle her estate.  Nearby is Two Cross Farms, an all-women commune that was started many years ago.  When there is a body discovered in the town and the victim is found to be connected to Two Cross Farm, the sisters and the local police begin to think there is a connection between that murder and the murder of Celine and Pip's sister 15 years earlier.  I had a bit of difficulty getting engaged in this book in the beginning, but once I was hooked, it was really hard to put it down.  The plot was well done, and the pacing was good.  The theme of violence against women was handled very well and very accurately, and you could tell that the author has definitely done her research in this area.  I particularly enjoyed Una's character in the fictive mother role. My biggest issue with the book was the ending; it really seemed to come from nowhere.  It's almost as if the author was working from a checklist, and "the twist" was pulled from thin air.  The audio edition is told by two narrators, and Imogen Church, who did Celine's point of view, did an amazing job.  There was so much emotion in her narration, but it didn't feel overdone in the slightest.  Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  Thank you @netgalley, the author Isabel Ashdown and @dreamscapemedia for an ALC of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I received an advanced readers copy of this book for an honest review #33Women #NetGalley #audiobook

Celine and Pip have been called to their childhood home after the death of their estranged mother.  Missing is their sister Vanessa who was brutally murdered in 2005. The two sisters, along with their ex-police friend Una, start investigating Two Cross farm when the sisters inherit property that adjoins the farm and they find ties to their dead sister. The sisters want to solve the question of what happened to Vanessa.

The farm is a very-cult like commune for abused women with very strict rules. You would think it would be serene being cutoff from the world but this commune has been full of conflict and rule breaking. Almost everything is considered an infraction to the tenets of this group and the women are cloistered for their own good-according to the founders who feel that 33 women is the optimum number of women to reside there.

This is not a police procedural and has a satisfying depth of characters and enough psychological thriller elements to make the story quite compelling. I have had a hard time writing this as there is so many things I could say but they give up too much information. At least, more than I like when I want to be lost in a story. Give it a try. It does not disappoint.
This book tells the parallel story of two time periods that eventually converge. At the core is the mysterious death of a young woman named Vanessa, In the current day, Vanessa's two sisters continue to mourn her death many years after she was found murdered. The sisters meet at their mother's sprawling estate after her death. Near this estate is a women's commune called, Two Cross Farm. In the 1970s storyline, we learn how this commune was established. How these two stories mesh is a great mystery and one that will keep the reader perplexed. I enjoyed the two narrators this book had, one for each timeline. It made it easy to make sense of where you were in the story. I think this will be a big draw for public libraries and readers of mysteries/thrillers. Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced listening copy of this title.
This was a very well written psychological thriller.  Its dark, creepy, laden with tension and a lot of emotion.  When sisters Celine and Pip are told their mother has died they return to home.  They are missing their sister Vanessa, who’s brutal murder remains unsolved. It is developed nicely and is focused, but also paints a great picture so you really become immersed in their story.  The narration added to the drama.
I just finished listening to this book.   33 Women starts out  where  3 or 4 women are starting a community of just women and they need 33 women to complete the community.  Then the story progresses to the future and then back to the past.  At some points it was a little hard to keep up with, but overall, I figured out what time frame the story was being told.  However, mid way and toward the end the story turns into a murder mystery of who done it.
And the end was not what I had expected.  Overall,  a good story.
What a wild ride of a story! Two sisters who have been dealt a hand of grief and hardships all their life, set off to gather their belongings from their deceased mother's home, but along the way find themselves entranced with the death of a woman who lives in what seems like a cult near their mothers home. The twists and turns that are so delicately placed throughout this book, will leave you hanging on until the VERY END. This book resonated with me so much and it will take a while to forget the characters who are so deeply ingrained in my memory.

Thank you to NetGalley for an advanced copy of this publication.
So how do you define a cult.  hen everything goes wrong. And boy howdy do things go wrong. A flip take on who did it. Not gonna lie, it got me.
33 Women by Isabel Ashdown, narrated by Candida Gubbins, Imogen Church.

Thank you to NetGalley and Dreamscape Audio for an audio-ARC for my honest review.

I found this to be a very entertaining story. The suspense kept building until the final unexpected conclusion.The narrators were wonderful!

#33Women #NetGalley
Thanks to Netgalley for letting me listen to the audiobook before it was released, it was a good read. Right from the start I was hooked as 2 Crossed Farms and the characters were really intriguing and I couldn’t wait to keep listening to it.  2 Crossed Farms is a women’s only place to live and they take care of each other. It sounds ideal for some but they have secrets to hide. Isabel Ashdown gave so much detail and back stories for the characters that I felt like I knew them in a way. The ending was surprising and totally caught me off guard.
Good family mystery to solve upon the mother’s death.

Beautiful descriptions of the homeland and of the relationships between the sisters and their mother.

Nice weekend read.
When two sisters reunite at their childhood home in Arundel following the news of their mother's death, they end up with more than they anticipated. With the murder of their sister years prior in the back of their minds, it hits all too close to home when the body of a young woman is discovered in a similar fashion. In fact, there are several similarities between the two women's death, raising the suspicion if, though years apart, they were possibly linked to one another. The biggest similarity, a women's commune that is close by. When the police start to look to the commune for answers, the sisters, along with the help of an old family friend, also get involved taking it a step further and visiting the place themselves. What they find there is more than they expected.  How many secrets lay behind the locked secure gates of Two Cross Farm? Will they finally find the answers to their sister's death after all these years? Is the women's commune really who they say they are?
Thank you to Netgalley, Dreamscape, and Isabel Ashdown for the opportunity to read and review this book. When I first started the book, I had no idea what I was in for. I honestly hadn't even read the summary, I had picked it solely based on the cover and title. It ended up being a great choice! It sucked me right in! I really loved the narrators for this book, Candida Gubbins and Imogen Church. They did an amazing job. I was completely shocked with the twists that surfaced in this book. I'm always down for a good mystery/thriller. They're my absolute favorite and this one didn't disappoint. I would highly recommend this book. I rate this ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫
If you like slow-burn Mysteries, you must add this one to your list!

Told in two time-lines, this story had so many pieces that I just loved - Women supporting other women through a commune, unsolved murders, unique characters - some likable, some not and estranged sisters/family that must work together to resolve old family issues.

There is foreshadowing (that I totally missed!), a bit of atmospheric tension and an important underlying subject matter of abuse against women and the need for a safe place in the world.

I really liked the pace of the book, the narrators, the slowly unfolding mystery and the fact that I didn't guess the end!

Highly recommended!

Thank you to #DreamscapeMedia and #NetGalley for making this book available for review. All opinions expressed are my own.
I feel like it’s so rare that I’m surprised by a twist in a book but wow, this one had a moment that truly caught me off guard. Although not every “twist” was a shock, this well crafted and character driven story kept me guessing through the very end.

Telling this tale from two points of view, the dual narrators did a fantastic job. They seemlessly transition from American, British, and even Scottish accents. I highly recommend this on audio!

Big thanks to Netgalley and Dreamscape Media for this audio copy in exchange for an honest review!
There are not that many books in which you turn the last page (or take off your headphones) and just go, WOW... What did just happen.

After the death of their mother, Celine and Pip find some clues that prompt them to start searching for answers in the death of their sister who was brutally murdered fifteenth years ago nearby a mysterious women's commune. When another woman is found dead in the same area, two death suspiciously resembling each other, the mysterious residents of the women's commune come under scrutiny. Sisters, desperate for answers, make their way inside the commune and come face to face with the ghosts from the past while unraveling more secrets than they ever wished to know.

I am simply blown away by this book... Wow.  I kept guessing till the very end, and there is no way I could have predicted the ending. This story has so many twists and turns, yet, it's so well written, that I was mesmerized by the mystery and the complex characters created by the author.  The last few chapters had me glued to this novel.  Isabel Ashdown is a new to me author and I was not only pleasantly surprised, but absolutely loved her writing style, the plot and the dual timeline story-telling.  I listened to "33 Women" as an audio book, and when I heard the voice of my favorite narrator, Imogen Church, I knew I'm going to enjoy listening to this book even more!

As a unique and unpredictable mystery, this book ranks way up there for me.  It's a thriller, a drama, it raises so many societal issues concerning women, their place in the family and society, the motherhood. It touches on the topics of abusive relationships and psychological trauma.  I highly recommend the audio book, which is being released today, September 16. The Kindle version is already out, and the paperback is coming in April 2022.  I did not know much about this book when I requested it on netgalley, but I'm so glad I did! It's hands down one of my top reads this year.  And I can't wait to explore more books by this author.  4.5/5 ⭐ from me!
33 Women was so much more than I expected!  It’s a story of strong women. Women who realize together they are much stronger.  Sister, Celine and Pip return home to attend their mother’s funeral and handle her estate. The discovery of a murdered body nearby brings up so many memories about their sister Vanessa who had been brutally murdered fifteen years ago. The murder was still unsolved. There is a commonality between the two murders. It is a very strict women’s commune at Two Cross Farm. Enjoyed the story, never saw the ending coming.  What a great story!

Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion
33 Women is a story set in England in the past and present at a commune with a grieving family.  It is a beautifully written story that joins everything together with a crazy twist.  I felt so sorry for the family in their search for the truth of the death of their sister.  The sisters of the commune where very entertaining.
It is my first read by Isabel Ashdown, and I am looking forward to reading more.  I would definitely recommend this to those that love mysteries with shocking twists.
Thanks Dreamscape through NetGalley for this opportunity.
The publisher's teaser is as much as one needs before diving in to the book—for me to share more would ruin the surprises, of which there are several. The story is told in alternating chapters from the points of view of Celine, the oldest sister, and Bramble, a member of the women's commune. It was challenging, at first, to keep track of the speaker and the time [past (back to the 1970s) or present (2019)] at the start. Many other characters—predominantly but not exclusively women—come in to play, both from the world at large and the membership of the commune.

This appears to be Ashdown's ninth book (with another expected for publication next summer), but my first exposure to her work; so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'll definitely seek out more. My biggest compliment to this book is that I didn't want to stop reading it.

Thank you, NetGalley and Dreamscape Media, for the audio ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review.

[4.35 stars]
Thank you NetGalley, Dreamscape Media and Isabel Ashdown for the ARC of “33 Women”.

Twist and turns, oh my! When two sisters start planning their mother’s funeral, they are reminded of their sisters murder 15 years ago. When a murder very similar to their sisters happens, they can’t help but wonder if this was a coincidence or not. Pip and Celine want their sisters murder investigation to be reopened. They work together with their mother’s friend, also ex cop, Vanessa to try and figure out what exactly happened. The lies and secrets that unfolded were intense!

I was not a fan of the multiple POV’s and the narrator (I listened to the audiobook). It was a slow burn so it was hard for me to get into.
33 Women was a crazy, twisting and turning story.  Two sisters, planning their mother's funeral and reliving their sisters murder from 15 years earlier, are surprised when a murder very similar to their sisters occurs.  Surprises at every turn will keep you reading and wondering what will happen next and who the murderer really is.  The narrators were excellent as well.  Thank you to NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for the audiobook arc.
33 Women is a cleverly crafted, eerily evocative  character driven murder mystery thriller.  The audio narration was wonderful. Imogen Church and Candida Gubbins are absolutely brilliant in their narration, truly bringing to life the crazy cast of characters while inciting a constant sense of loneliness, foreboding and despair.  It was the unsettling miasma of dread that had me on the edge of my seat holding me hostage.  I listened to this in two days the narration was that delicious.

I don’t want to give away anything so will leave you to view the book details above. Alternating between past and present, and narrated in multiple character POVs, Isabel Ashdown  seamlessly weaves together this deliciously dark and multilayered plot full of tangled secrets, messy relationships, lies, crazy twists and unsettling turns.  Shrouded by its mysteriously cultish/communal reputation, I found the atmospheric setting of Two Cross Ranch, a refuge for women, to be as glamorously seductive as it is sinisterly unnerving amidst a tone that vacillated between serene and oppressively creepy.  I love how this mysterious setting almost becomes a character in itself.

Thanks to @NetGalley and @Dreamscape Media for the advanced listening copy of 33 Women.  Absolutely wonderful!