Cover Image: 33 Women

33 Women

33 Women is a story set in England in the past and present at a commune with a grieving family.  It is a beautifully written story that joins everything together with a crazy twist.  I felt so sorry for the family in their search for the truth of the death of their sister.  The sisters of the commune where very entertaining.
It is my first read by Isabel Ashdown, and I am looking forward to reading more.  I would definitely recommend this to those that love mysteries with shocking twists.
Thanks Dreamscape through NetGalley for this opportunity.
The publisher's teaser is as much as one needs before diving in to the book—for me to share more would ruin the surprises, of which there are several. The story is told in alternating chapters from the points of view of Celine, the oldest sister, and Bramble, a member of the women's commune. It was challenging, at first, to keep track of the speaker and the time [past (back to the 1970s) or present (2019)] at the start. Many other characters—predominantly but not exclusively women—come in to play, both from the world at large and the membership of the commune.

This appears to be Ashdown's ninth book (with another expected for publication next summer), but my first exposure to her work; so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'll definitely seek out more. My biggest compliment to this book is that I didn't want to stop reading it.

Thank you, NetGalley and Dreamscape Media, for the audio ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review.

[4.35 stars]
Thank you NetGalley, Dreamscape Media and Isabel Ashdown for the ARC of “33 Women”.

Twist and turns, oh my! When two sisters start planning their mother’s funeral, they are reminded of their sisters murder 15 years ago. When a murder very similar to their sisters happens, they can’t help but wonder if this was a coincidence or not. Pip and Celine want their sisters murder investigation to be reopened. They work together with their mother’s friend, also ex cop, Vanessa to try and figure out what exactly happened. The lies and secrets that unfolded were intense!

I was not a fan of the multiple POV’s and the narrator (I listened to the audiobook). It was a slow burn so it was hard for me to get into.
33 Women was a crazy, twisting and turning story.  Two sisters, planning their mother's funeral and reliving their sisters murder from 15 years earlier, are surprised when a murder very similar to their sisters occurs.  Surprises at every turn will keep you reading and wondering what will happen next and who the murderer really is.  The narrators were excellent as well.  Thank you to NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for the audiobook arc.
33 Women is a cleverly crafted, eerily evocative  character driven murder mystery thriller.  The audio narration was wonderful. Imogen Church and Candida Gubbins are absolutely brilliant in their narration, truly bringing to life the crazy cast of characters while inciting a constant sense of loneliness, foreboding and despair.  It was the unsettling miasma of dread that had me on the edge of my seat holding me hostage.  I listened to this in two days the narration was that delicious.

I don’t want to give away anything so will leave you to view the book details above. Alternating between past and present, and narrated in multiple character POVs, Isabel Ashdown  seamlessly weaves together this deliciously dark and multilayered plot full of tangled secrets, messy relationships, lies, crazy twists and unsettling turns.  Shrouded by its mysteriously cultish/communal reputation, I found the atmospheric setting of Two Cross Ranch, a refuge for women, to be as glamorously seductive as it is sinisterly unnerving amidst a tone that vacillated between serene and oppressively creepy.  I love how this mysterious setting almost becomes a character in itself.

Thanks to @NetGalley and @Dreamscape Media for the advanced listening copy of 33 Women.  Absolutely wonderful!
Tons of twists and turns!

I thought I had a pretty good idea of what was going on and who did what...until about half way through the book. And then all my preconceived notions began to unravel and I was hooked! Stayed up until 3 a.m. trying to figure out what in the world was going on and how the 33 women were really involved!

Aside from the language, this was a solid read that I'd recommend to pretty much anyone.
I thoroughly enjoyed this audiobook. It was intriguing and held my interest throughout its entirety. The twists were unique and I found the ending satisfying. The narrator was fantastic and I will definitely listen to her again. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who is looking for a solid mystery.
I definitely did not guess that ending!
This book has a slow plot build - but it definitely held my interest.
Narrated by Celine and Bramble, the reader learns the history of Two Cross Farm.
Celine returns home with her sister to bury their mother - who deserted them along with their sister Vanessa when Celine was in her late teens. Forced to raise her two sisters,  Celine did her best to help her younger sisters lead a happy life. As they spend time together with Pip's daughters, Celine realizes Pip hides the truth of her marriage.
Bramble and a group of women founded Two Cross Farm in the late '70s - a place for women to shed their lives to exist in a safe community free of technology and the threat of men. Peace and serenity abound - until the discovery of Robin's body. The death is ruled suspicious - and similar to Vanessa's death fifteen years earlier.
Celine and her family desperately search for the truth while Bramble desperately  holds all the Farm's secrets.
Great story about women, survival and what you'll do to protect your legacy.
The narrators did an incredible job!
This was a tricky one to get into.  I can't say I was a huge fan, and ended up not finishing because I couldn't get into the characters at all.  I listened to the audio version, and it was really just okay.  Sorry.
REVIEW: ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5
Suspense/Mystery
Triggers: Murder, Domestic Abuse
🎧 Audiobook
I would like to thank NetGalley for the opportunity to review this book in advance.
This novel begins when two sisters, Celine and Pip, hear of their mother's passing and meet at her house to settle arrangements for the funeral. In doing so, issues regarding abandonment, domestic abuse, and the 15-year, unsolved murder of their sister Vanesssa surface. Meanwhile, a women's refuge next door becomes intertwined with their search for the truth. The flashbacks from present day to the initial days of the commune made the story intriguing! I have to say...this book has so many twists and turns!! A few I never saw coming for sure! The story kept me listening! I finished in 2 days! Loved the characters and their depth!! Narrators did a good job, but if I am being honest, sometimes the voices for different characters sounded too similar causing a bit of confusion. All in all, I would definitely recommend this to my friends!  I enjoyed it very much!
Interesting audio book with lots of twists and mystery. Initially I wasn’t really drawn in but as the boom progressed I found myself intrigued and wanting to know what was coming next, so much so that I had a hard time putting it aside.
33 Women
Isabel Ashdown
Two Cross Farm is a commune for abused women. The rules are very strict; there is no leniency, follow the rules or leave never to return. The three founding women formed rules for themselves and for the inhabitants of the commune. Fern the original leader was into numerology. The women became self-sufficient and lived off the land. The women allowed to live there must have something to extend to the others or need help to stay safe. Only thirty-three women can live there at a time; there is a waiting list of women willing to give up everything to live there.
It has been many years since Celine and Pip have seen each other but they are reunited upon the death of their mother. They had been alienated from their mother for many years. They have inherited their mother’s place, which borders Two Cross Farm. Fifteen years ago, their sister, Vanessa was violently murdered, her body was found near Brighton Pier; the murder was purportedly attributed to domestic violence.  Now the body of another woman has been found.  She has a tattoo of two crosses, the same tattoo that Vanessa had. The sisters know Vanessa had some connection with the commune. They turn to their friend Una a retired policer to help them investigate the commune. More and more similarities between the two murders become obvious. The latest victim was a cook at Two Cross Farm. The residents of the commune became suspects. A third murder is discovered, and it too has similarities.
This is an intriguing psychological thriller. The setting is Arundel (England). Two Cross Farm has the feeling of a cult, but it is actually more of a commune. The residents of Two Cross Farm stayed to their self. Everything about Two Cross Farm was suspicious and creepy. This tale is told from alternating viewpoints, the history of the commune, the residents up to present day. The story moves along at a rather slow pace. The first half was difficult to get into but the second half was more interesting.
A chilling and suspenseful novel.

When sisters Celine and Pip get a call telling them their reclusive mother has died, the sisters are reunited at their riverside home in Arundel to pick up the pieces. But something is missing, their middle sister, Vanessa who had been brutally murdered years ago. The case had never been solved. As the sisters confront ghosts from the past, the discovery of another body in similar circumstances throws a new light on Vanessa's death. Could the sisters finally find out who murdered their sister and get justice after so many years have passed.

Celine, along with her mother's friend and ex-cop, Una, revisit Vanessa's murder. Vanessa had lived in a refuge before she was murdered. Celine and Pip want the case reinvestigated. But it is not going to be easy since the refuge that Vanessa lived in has secrets of its own that its founders don't want revealed to the world.

The characters were well rounded and believable. The pace was slow but the story did not drag. The story is well written and structured,
33 Women by Isabel Ashdown s a murder mystery filled with decades of secrets and emotions. Sisters Celine and Pip are shocked when a woman is found dead in the same place as their sister was 15 years ago. Her killer was never found. Is it a coincidence both bodies have two crosses on them? Does it mean anything that both bodies are found near Two Cross Farm, a gated community of 33 women who want nothing to do with the outside world? What about their leader Seed who forbids any males through the gate?

Narrators Imogen Church and Candida Gubbins empathetically portray the pain these sisters and 33 women feel and the sacrifices they are willing to make for peace. The author has written a twisty thriller. My advise is do not listen to the end while driving because the reveal at the end will cause you to crash. I never saw it coming and broke a dish I was drying when I heard it!

I received a free copy of this audiobook from the publishers via #NetGalley for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own.
33 WOMEN. *Sisters Celine and Pip return to the home of their recently deceased mother to help clean and make arrangements for her funeral. Someone is missing from the trio, Vanessa, their middle sister who was brutally murdered and left by the side of the river in an unsolved murder case. During this time, another woman is found murdered and shares some similarities with their sister’s case. Are they connected? And what is the women’s commune down the road hiding? Is it related to the murder cases?*

WOW. I blew through this book in a matter of a few days and was hooked from the beginning. It jumps back and forth between the past and present, slowing building the story and then takes you on a wild ride right until the end. Would definitely recommend.
Thanks to NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for an advanced audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

4 star

Sisters Celine and Pip meet up at their recently deceased mother’s home to deal with the estate.  They try to find out what happened to their sister Vanessa who was killed 15 years ago and also determining if  the neighboring women’s commune was involved. The story goes back and forth in time from different perspectives.  I enjoyed the audiobook with fantastic narration by Candida Gubbins and Imogen Church.
I loved this book. Whole I won't be recommending it to my middle school students (definitely not the intended audience), I will be recommending it to every book loving adult that I know!
When sisters Celine and Pip get a call telling them their reclusive mother has died, the women are reunited at her riverside home in Arundel to pick up the pieces. But someone is missing - their middle sister, Vanessa, brutally murdered years ago and the victim of an unsolved case. As the sisters confront ghosts from the past, the discovery of another body in similar circumstances throws new light on Vanessa's death.

This was an intriguing book, with a cultish women's commune at the epicenter of several deaths besides Vanessa's. Told in alternating POV and tense between Celine and a founding sister of Two Cross Farms called Bramble, the story weaves out a complicated mystery about the dead women and who killed them. The loss of Celine and Pip's mother is little more than background and doesn't directly tie into the plot. Pip also plays only a small role until the climax of the book, as Celine is more actively helped by family friend and retired detective Una, who is one of the more entertaining characters in this book.

The threads tying the various women together are carefully woven, and there are a few surprises along the way. However, the final twist about Seed, the charismatic leader of Two Cross Farms, was so obvious I expected it back when she was first introduced, making this chapter rather anticlimactic. And the final revelation about the death of Robin (whose body is the impetus for Celine's investigation of Two Cross Farms) felt like a MacGuffin--it really shouldn't take a medical examiner two weeks to determine the manner of death.  But beyond that, the story circumstance felt fresh and enjoyable, and the two narrators did a fine job--especially with Two Cross Farms founder Fern, whose voice sounded so unique I could fully picture her.
Thanks #netgallery for this book. Good story and easy to follow transition between time frames. I enjoyed this is women focused. Thought provoking.
33 women takes places in Arundel and it has duo timelines. One in 1970s when Fern begins her journey at Two Cross Farms and the other present day (2020). It’s a psychological thriller heave on family dynamics. It’s a slow burn and captures the readers attention as the suspense continues to build through out the plot. It is character driven meaning there are a lot of characters to keep up with. It wraps up nicely toward the end.