Cover Image: The Spanish House

The Spanish House

A gentle and engaging story set in beautiful Spain.  I enjoyed the wonderful descriptions of the setting and found the characters warm - lovely romantic escapism.  Thank you.
This was my first Cherry Radford book and I loved how I was immediately transported to beautiful Spain with its luscious scenery and delicious food. I enjoyed following Hooli's journey to self discovery, even if there were some speed bumps and annoying misunderstandings along the way (but it's that what life's journey is all about?!). A nice, easy summer read!
An enjoyable book with a unique locale and engaging characters. Not completely formulaic, as many titles in this genre are.. If anything took away from my enjoyment, it was the fact that some of the plot points seemed to set up tension/conflict that never developed making it feel that the author ignored the rules set up early in the book. but I won't mention specifics as I don't like to post spoilers, and I will say that this was a minor annoyance. Overall, a very pleasant and enjoyable read.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is a cute read. Julie has to complete a list of tasks in order to inherit her uncle’s coastal house in Spain. She gets closer to her uncle, discovers her true past, and resolves relationship differences both past and present. I liked all the characters, the setting, and the outcome. It’s a sweet story and a quick read.
The Spanish house provides a pleasant blend of romance and travel history. When Juliana is offered the opportunity by her uncle Arturo to leave England and visit her mother’s home land in Spain in hopes of inheriting a home she jumps on the opportunity. In addition to being able to learn more about her own roots and the places where her deceased mother lived she learns that she has a “hot” new neighbor! Well following a romance with all its excitement and challenges, this travel bug reader was left with a desire to visit the actual place is described in the book.
Thank you Aria for the opportunity to read this lovely book.

Juliana lives in the UK working as a TV/film extra until her beloved Uncle Arturo offers her the chance to house sit in Andalusia, Spain, however there is a clause to this, which is completing 10 “life enhancing” conditions within 90 days, then the house is hers.
There are family secrets to unearth, rivalries already made, a handsome neighbour to befriend and a list to be completed.
I loved the setting the emotions and thoroughly enjoyed following Julianas journey.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I did enjoy the story. I liked the descriptions of Spain and how Juliana rediscovers her roots and adjusts to life in Spain. The romance was sweet, the story overall was engaging.
"The Spanish House*: 4⭐

(Unpaid Review: thank you to @netgalley, @cherryradford and @ariapublishing for allowing me to read this eArc copy in exchange for a review.)

Family. Family is key. That's what this book is about; love, sacrifice, secrets and family. A beautiful, heartwarming story about womanhood and how the mc goes to the past to try and find that missing piece of herself to reconstruct herself again.

Stunning, stunning, stunning piece of literature! Absolutely recommend!
This was my first Cherry Radford book and I finished this in one sitting!  The love of Spain that comes over so passionately in the description of the area and the way of life that adopts Juliana in her move to Spain to fulfill her uncle's conditions, made me feel as if I was walking alongside her in the moment.
A warm romantic story about embracing life's challenges and changes. I loved it, thank you so much for allowing me to read it.
Thanks to netgalley for the chance to read this book.

My first book from this author and I enjoyed reading it.

When Julianna visits Spain to house sit for her uncle but whilst she is there is given the task of completing work on the house.  Whilst carrying out the work she begins to discover secrets about her mother and her past.

A book about hidden family secrets.
A nice story about a woman travelling to Spain to find out about her Spanish past.

Julianna works in London as a TV and movie extra . She travels to Spain when she gets a letter from Uncle Arturo, asking her to housesit and do some work on his house. She gets the work underway but what she is really doing is finding out about her past and her mother in particular.

A nice journey in many ways and the scenery is very nicely done indeed! Very clear to see the images in your mind as you read.
A beautifully gentle read. Not too much sudden drama, more of a meandering walk through Juliana's life and her adventures in Spain. I enjoyed watching her establishing relationships with the local residents and following the conditions set out for her my uncle Arturo.
Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for the ARC to review.
Opinions are my own.
A heartwarming and entertaining book about rediscovering your roots, family secrets and life changes.
It's well written, the plot flows, and the characters are likeable and fleshed out.
I loved the descriptions of the house and of Andalucia.
It's the first book i read by this author and won't surely be the lasta.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
I wanted to love this book but the characters and the storyline just didn’t draw me in. I didn’t hate it but it was not a book than I ran to to read and I could easily put it down.
Ideal reading for present times. Everyone is in lockdown and you really do not want to have more doom and gloom.
Maybe escapist reading but it is entertaining and quite descriptive.

Juliana is offered a gorgeous opportunity for change. In Spain house sitting with a list of repairs and conditions to be
done to the house and elsewhere to gain ownership of a coveted property. Will anyone bypass this opportunity. It seems too
good to be true and in the process of painting, repairing and generally following Uncle Arturo's list Juliana comes up with
obstacles from neighbours, romance and finding out lost or rather hidden family skeletons which were firmly buried till now.

The book was a good read, warm and entertaining.
Loved this book - engaging characters and an interesting story. Descriptions of Andalusia are great and the romance running through the story was nice.
Fans of Lucy Coleman and Sue Moorcroft will thoroughly enjoy Cherry Radford’s delectable, warm-hearted and absorbing tale, The Spanish House.

Juliana might make her living – and a very modest one at that – as an ‘ethnic’ film extra, but with her elementary grasp of the Spanish language, her cacti and hazy memories of a mother she hasn’t seen since she was seven years old, she doesn’t exactly feel any connection to Spain. But that looks set to change when her Uncle Arturo offers her the possibility to spend a couple of months in his coastal home in a quiet part of Andalusia! Juliana cannot accept her uncle’s offer quickly enough – even if her Spanish holiday comes with a couple of conditions which she needs to fulfill within ninety days.

Juliana isn’t bothered about these caveats which her uncle has imposed upon her. After all, redecorating his house and visiting the old film studios her mother worked at as a seamstress seem easy enough. However, Juliana quickly finds herself untangling family secrets and trying to resolve inherited rivalries stretching back generations. It soon becomes apparent to Juliana that life in Spain is not going to be a walk in the park – especially as she has to get on with her neighbours. While most of them are kind and friendly, there is a moody artist among them who isn’t exactly rolling out the red carpet. If only he wasn’t so maddeningly attractive and deliciously handsome!

Is Juliana about to find everything she has always wanted in Spain? Has she found a place she can call home? Or will the discoveries she makes about her family’s past end up leaving her with no other choice but to head back home?

Cherry Radford writes with great charm, warmth and wit and The Spanish House is an uplifting story about finding your own voice, taking a leap of faith and coming home full of delightful characters, laugh out loud humour, emotional intensity and plenty of drama and mischief to keep readers turning the pages.

A glorious romantic escape that enchants and entertains from start to finish, Cherry Radford’s The Spanish House is the literary equivalent of a glass of something sparkling on a warm summer’s day.
⭐⭐ -- It was okay

I started this one a few days ago, but kept putting it down in favor of other books. I finally finished it today. It was okay. I didn't find the writing to be that great. There was a lot going, and the plot felt disjointed. Because of that, I never really connected with any of the characters. I enjoyed that setting though, so you know...mixed bag. 🤷🏻‍♀️

**ARC Via NetGalley**
This book is AMAZING and in this, we can all thank COVID for creating the opportunity of the gift of this book! Cherry Radford caught me right from page one, with the conflict of dealing with both racism and substance use/abuse with the attack on the tube, is how I think the English call it?

I was so glad for Hoolie to find her get away AND her Love. I bawled my eyes out about Arturo!

I appreciated the historical contexts for the location of San Rafael and Almeria. I now want to go see that part of Spain desperately.

There were only a few spelling errors, which I am sure have been corrected and other than that, this book was perfection. Cherry Radford now has a new fan!

Thank you for sharing your gift with all of us readers.
3.5 stars rounded up.

I absolutely adore Spain, and it holds a very special place in my heart, so I am always drawn to books that take place there. This book felt like Spain, and I loved that. It was so easy to picture all of the scenes and really fall into the book that way.

I liked Juliana. It was great to see how she learned about her family, and also figuring out what she wanted to do in life instead of always feeling like she was a background character. I enjoyed that she made friends both in and out of the expat community, and that she was so open to explore new places and try new things.

The plot, though, was....a lot. There were just too many things going on. It's not just about Juliana trying to fulfill the requirements to inherit this Spanish house. It's also about BIG family secrets that just keep coming out of the woodwork, deciding on a total career and life change, having a mess with an ex-boyfriend, and also trying to start a new relationship. I felt like there were so many conflicts that came up that it made the plot seem thin and most of the characters and their relationships fell flat.

I wish there would have been more to Josemi. He just never seemed fully formed to me. I never felt a real connection between him and Juliana.

While I enjoyed the escapism the location of this book offered, the overall story was pulled in too many directions and fell short.