Cover Image: The Spanish House

The Spanish House

A wonderful, absorbing read, reminiscent of Karen Swan’s books set in Spain and Italy. A novel that evokes its wonderful Spanish setting infused with all the senses and creating a sensual and moving tale. Julianna seizes the chance her uncle offers her to go to Spain and fix up his old summer house while at the same time learning about her Spanish heritage and the place her mother loved. It’s also an opportunity to escape and perhaps even put behind her, the never ending attachment and fascination with her childhood friend, now famous actor, Toby. Julianna’s own life had taken on the role as an extra- both in the film profession and in her own personal life. Spain was the chance to be her own leading role. But with these opportunities also come figures from the past, rearing up from unexpected places and directions. And her neighbour, Josemi, darkly handsome, prickly and somehow connected to all of this. All the threads in the story are beautifully and tightly woven together into a lovely seamless and totally absorbing novel.
The Spanish House by Cherry Radford

Juliana is half Spanish and finds herself at a bit of a crossroads in her life.  Her Spanish mother died when she was a child.  Her Uncle Arturo offers her a chance of 90 days to do up his summer house and explore her roots. This book follows Juliana’s journey to find out more about her mother’s short life and there are many secrets that will appear along this journey.

A wonderful well written and descriptive story that makes you long to go to Spain or even imagine you are there.

Wonderful characters and a little intrigue as things are not always as they seem.

Great book from start to finish. 4.5/5
This book is just so cute! I will definitely be looking for more from this author soon.

Julianna is such a loveable character and I was on her side with every decision, even her more questionable ones. I was absolutely rooting for her and Josemi from the beginning. But, I will say I wanted her to focus on her Uncle's to-do list just a little more. Uncle Arturo was such an amazing man and every scene with him in it had me wishing for a relationship like that in my life.

Every secret that Julianna uncovered was more shocking than the last but I felt that it was all realistic enough for me to suspend my disbelief. I loved the setting more than anything else. Radford describes Spain in such gorgeous detail that I swear sometimes I was there with her finding it all out.
Juliana has always wanted to explore more of her Spanish heritage and so when her uncle offers to leave her a house, she jumps at the chance to go to Spain.  The house comes with a list of conditions that must be fulfilled in order for it to become hers.  The story follows Juliana as she works through the list of tasks, whilst learning about her family, and herself.   She also has a love interest with Josemi, and I enjoyed seeing how their relationship unfolded. It was by no means straightforward!

The descriptions of places and people, really made me feel as though I was there.  It was like being away, without actually be away.  Lovely piece of holiday escapism.   It fell flat in a couple places for me but it didn’t detract from my overall enjoyment.  Generally, it was an easy enjoyable read.

I’ve not read any of this authors work before, though based on this book, I would be open to doing so.

Copy provided by Aria & Aries via Netgalley
Juliana is a half-Spanish/half-English young woman living in London and working as an extra for film and television when her uncle invites her to come to Spain for three months to stay at a vacation home that he owns. He also promises her that the house will become hers provided she meets a number of conditions.

When Juliana was 7.5 years old her mother left the family and returned to Spain. Juliana never saw her mother again before her death two years later so she jumps at the opportunity to spend time in Spain to get to know her uncle better and to learn more about her Spanish heritage. While completing her uncle's conditions, Juliana starts to imagine her future in Spain, learns more about the mystery surrounding her mother's death, and falls for her handsome artist neighbour.

The Spanish House is a pleasant contemporary romance set in a fabulous location. I loved learning about the Almeria region of Spain and, being the theatre nerd that I am, I also enjoyed the scenes involving the shows staged by the local theatre group. The romance storyline wasn't well developed, in my opinion, however, I enjoyed the other aspects of the story enough to make it a three star read.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC.
A sweet love story in a beautiful Spanish setting with a cast you'll adore. The Spanish House made me all warm and fuzzy inside. It's a journey of finding truth, family, and love. It was the feel-good story I needed.

Thank you to the author, publisher, and Netgalley for the arc. I voluntarily read and reviewed this title.
*I received a free copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

This book was okay. I didn't guess some of the little twists. But it just felt like a slow read, but not necessarily in the best way. I felt bored about 1/2-2/3 of the way through, but I wanted to know how it ended. I liked the main character, but I felt like her "relationship" with one of the other characters was just.. meh? weird? I don't know how to describe it. All in all, I didn't hate it, but I also didn't love it.
An enjoyable story set in Spain with strong characters, an engaging plot  and some intrigue to boot. Julia was interesting and coped well with everything that was thrown at her. Such beautiful descriptions of a romantic setting. Perfect for your summer holiday.
One summer Juliana gets a chance of a lifetime. Her uncle Arturo offers her a chance to housesit his home in Spain. She uses this as chance to connect with her Spanish roots. She learns about her mother and who she is. She spends the time rediscovering her family and her connection to them. She falls in love with the town and her life. This was a charming summer read. It will transport you to the coast of Spain. I had a blast reading this story!
An Inheritance With Strings…
An inheritance with strings faces the modestly living Juliana. An evocative and engaging tale with a breathtaking backdrop. Lighthearted and easy reading for some ideal, romantic escapism to sunnier climes.
I couldn't get into this book. I tried but after 12% it wouldn't hold my attention.. DNF

**********************I received an ARC for my honest opinion.******************************
I absolutely LOVED LOVED this book and would give it a million stars if I could. This book had everything a favorite book should have: a good premise, a strong main character, intrigue, a point to the story, a good ending, and the reader must care. This book had all those elements plus more. Plus it is also a book about rediscovering your worth and finding your place in the world after starting over.

I highly recommend this book and am buying a copy to own to re-read it at a later date. I would definitely re-read from this author in the future and will look into past books if there are any if it has half good as this one.

I sincerely thank Netgalley, Cherry Radford and Aria & Aries Aria for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Already Available: 7/12/21
"The Spanish House" is about self-discovery and love, family and friendship, and life-changing decisions.  When Julianna decides to take up her uncle's challenge to renovate a small Spanish house she has no idea of what will happen in the 90 days of the task.  In the book we get to meet the locals and Julianna's family as she starts to unravel various mysteries.  This is a lovely, warm-hearted tale set in a hot foreign climate, so great holiday reading.

Thanks to Net Galley and the publishers for the opportunity to review this book.
Thank you to Netgalley and Aria Publishers for inviting me to read and review this beautiful story!

Juliana grew up in London in an acting family. When she was 7, her mother moved  back to Spain and she never saw her again, two years later she was told her mother passed away.

Now, many years later, Juliana’s Spanish uncle, her mother’s brother, has asked her to help him with his house in the country.

He has a list of conditions for her to complete. After 90 days, if she has met the conditions, he will leave the house to her. Juliana takes him up on his offer, and tries her best to complete his conditions…. Redecorate the house, make friends with the neighbours, join the local acting group.

But while she is completing the conditions, she realises that the information she was told when she was younger wasn’t the truth. Her uncle was trying to help her understand the events of the past and who she really is.

This is a beautifully written story set in a gorgeous area and the writing placed you right in the Spanish countryside. I really enjoyed how the events opened Juliana’s eyes to her heritage and helped her find a way to find peace in her life and future ❤️
Thank you for my copy of this beautiful, heartwarming story. Filled with family secrets and romance, this story is a delight. While completing conditions to get ownership to her uncles home in Spain, Juliana gains learns about her family and gains love.
There is romance, mystery, family saga, and more in this book with a setting of Spain. It is an enjoyable read.
The Spanish House by Cherry Radford is a heartwarming story about a woman’s journey to find her heritage and her missing past.

Julianna works in London as a TV and movie extra.  Her Spanish mother left her when she was a small child, and she has never explored the Spanish side of her family.  When she receives a letter from her Uncle Arturo, asking her to housesit and work on his old coastal home in Andalusia, Spain.  Julianna is excited to spend some time on the Spanish coast and explore her Spanish heritage.

Julianna works on redecorating the cottage and learns more about her mother’s work at the nearby film studio.  She also learns more about her neighbors, especially the handsome and mysterious artist next door.

The Spanish House is a heartwarming story of Julianna’s journey to discovering her Spanish roots and heritage.  The book is easy to read and is both emotional and inspiring.   I enjoyed all the characters in the book and rooted for Julianna to find herself.  Uncle Arturo was mysterious, but I always felt he had Julianna’s best interest at heart.

The authors’ descriptions of the scenery, including the cottage, the beaches, and the film studio are exquisite.  I felt like I was transported to the Spanish coast and this book has a real summer holiday feel.

I received a complimentary copy of this book.  The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
This was a really lovely book, that I couldn't put down! I felt like I was in Spain and making these discoveries too. A good summery read to take you to another place.

Thank you NetGalley for this ARC!
Excellent book! This is the first book that I have read by this author. I liked her style quite a bit. The plot was very interesting and flowed easily. The characters are developed wonderfully and I cared about them almost immediately. I was not certain where the plot was leading, but I was invested the entire time I was reading about Juliana’s progress to fulfill the list of requirements to be gifted her uncle’s house.

I felt like I was in Spain while reading the story since the scenery is described so beautifully. The beaches, restaurants and food made the story come to life.  While Juliana was exploring Almeria’ city, so was I.

I want to mention, since I know very little Spanish language that sometimes I was confused when Spanish words were used intermingled with English. Since I was reading on a Kindle it was easy enough for me to highlight a word and go look at a dictionary or Wikipedia, which helped me greatly.

I recommend this book for anyone that reads Women’s fiction. It does have a bit of romance in the book but not too much that someone not interested in reading a romance story would be put off by.

I want to thank NetGalley and Aria & Aries for giving me the pleasure of reading the advance reader copy, with no obligation to write a review. My review is written freely as a hobby, and is totally my own opinion, not influenced by receiving the ARC.
I fear I’ll be one of the few who will state they didn’t like this one, mainly because my expectations weren’t met. “The Spanish House” is undeniably well written enough and there are some precious moments included, but I just feel like I didn’t get what I was promised. My main criticism is that it often felt like a lot of things were happening off page, like I would awkwardly realize that so and so had already gotten to know each other in a scene I wasn’t privy to. I was confused a tad too many times to be able to enjoy the story at its full potential. Maybe it’s just me though.