Cover Image: The Woman on the Beach

The Woman on the Beach

If there is something I love as much as a morally grey character, it's an unreliable narrator. This book is the story of three girls whose friendship is so strong that they can tell each other everything---IS IT REALLY???? The girls thought so at least but then each one of them has to deal with a different kind of devastating and painful experience and they have to decide how much to tell the others. Julia Roberts tells the story from three different POVs and you, the reader, are the only one who (presumably) knows the whole story---at least that is what YOU think when you read the book. But everything is not what it seems. The author takes you on a rollercoaster ride through emotional struggles, doubt, grief, etc. She keeps you guessing what really happened until the very end. You think you have it all figured out and root for the girls and then, bam!, you get another piece in this puzzle and start doubting your own theories.
While the last Julia Roberts book I read made me ball my eyes out (read my review of My Mother's Secret here: https://www.healthybodymindandsoul.net/healthy-mind-blog/warning-warning-this-one-is-a-tearjerker-do-not-open-if-you-dont-like-crying-your-way-through-a-book-blog-tour), this book kept me at the edge of my seat, not only because I could relate to two of the girls' stories on a very personal level but also because one of the girls is such an unreliable narrator that you keep wondering throughout the book if you can believe what she is saying or if the events did not really happen the way she believes they did. Thank you, Julia Roberts, for giving me hours of thrill, heartbreak, and entertainment!
It’s a really rare thing to be able to keep the friendships you made when you were just kids and it’s an indescribable tragedy when a friend you have managed to hang on to for so long is stolen away by death. But is that what really happened? When Liv thinks she spots Sophie on a beach whilst holidaying in Mexico, it can’t be possible. Sophie died in a horrific train accident three years ago. Didn’t she?

The Woman on the Beach is a gripping and emotional tale that had me immediately intrigued and enraptured from its opening. As the story progressed, the ending of each chapter left me wanting more and I needed the answers as much as Liv. When I got them, they were so far removed from how I thought it was going to play out, which is such a credit to Julia Roberts, as she leads you down one path only to throw one massive curveball into the mix which changed everything. It definitely shook me up!

Beautifully written, I really loved this book. It deals with friendship, love, hope, grief and it will just hold you captive. Once again, Julia Roberts has delivered another wonderful read that had me hanging off her every word. It really got under my skin and even had me shedding a tear or two. If you like domestic drama’s then make sure you add this one to your reading. You won’t be disappointed.

Thank you to Julia Roberts, Bookouture and NetGalley for allowing me to read an advanced copy of The Woman on the Beach, which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
Liv, Grace and Sophie have been friends for years. Sophia and Grace are on a train in Spain and Sophia is killed. Liv is in Mexico and she sees a woman on the beach with the tattoo that Sophia had on her arm. Liv cannot get the idea out of her head that it is Sophia that was on the beach.
A very suspenseful book with some twists too.  I could not put this down I had to finish this book.
Three best friends have gone through a lot of life together until two of them are visiting each other and in a tragic accident one is killed.  The other two have never recovered from the loss and it has affected all of the decisions they made since, until one is on a vacation and swears she sees the one that was presumed dead and then things spiral.

For me this book was good, but there was one small part that took it down a notch for me.  I liked that the author had the main plot point in the synopsis come early and there was so much more book to be had after the discovery.  The part for me that I really didn't love was the resolution and while I will try to talk about it without spoiling, be warned!  When some of the secrets are revealed towards the end, it was the other character's reactions that felt too nice and forgiving - they went from "holy shit" to oh ok its fine too fast for me.  I would have preferred more pages and more conflict, reminded me of a Brady Bunch tv show!

Because my quibble happened near the end, it made me rethink how I felt about the whole story.  BUT Liv as a main character was great to follow.  She reacted more along the way I would and I was along for the ride with her and it was her that made me keep reading even when I wasn't so sure about the Sophie of the story.

This was my first Julia Roberts read and while I had a small thing that I didn't love, I would absolutely read more both of the backlist and upcoming to decide my thoughts on the author as a whole - never make a decision on an author based on only one book!
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read and review an ARC of The Woman on the Beach by Julia Roberts.

Sophie, Liv, and Grace were friends from childhood, experiencing school, university, and the beginnings of their lives as young women together until a tragic event occurs, and things are never the same again.  Who is the woman that Liv spots on the beach in Mexico, and why are they both there at the same time?

The Woman on the Beach is an emotional rollercoaster of a story, and I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough, desperate to discover just what was going to happen next.  The author leads us down so many different paths, with twists and turns along the way, each time with an unexpected outcome.

Roberts has created each and every one of her characters with great thought, love, and joy, delving deep into each one to enable us to know them intimately.  I felt their pain and heartache, love and understanding, with each tear-jerking revelation.  This book makes you realise that no one knows what goes on behind closed doors and makes you question whether we really know the people closest to us.

Beach read, thriller and psychological drama, The Woman on the Beach has it all.  Definitely worthy of 5 stars and I defy anyone not to read it in just a couple of days!  Once you’ve started, you won’t stop!
Liv is taking some time alone. She heads to a vacation in Mexico to deal with more than one thing. For starters, she is on a trial separation from her husband Jamie. What is more is that she is still grieving the death of her friend Sophie and the fact that her other friend Grace took off after Sophie's untimely death.

However, one day on the beach Liv spots a couple coming out of the water after a swim. The woman raises her arm, and even from a distance, Liv recognizes a one-of-a-kind tattoo - a tattoo that Sophie had. She couldn't stop herself. She calls out Sophie's name, but then thinks she must have been mistaken. The story shifts perseptives from here on in ... Liv, Grace, Sophie. How does Sophie have a voice when she is deceased?

Now back at home, Liv and Jamie have reconciled. Liv receives a letter, one that drains all the color from her face. What is going on? Who is the letter from and why does it cause Liv so much shock? Reading this letter drives Liv back to Mexico to search for answers. The answers are shocking, to say the very least. In fact, credulity and doubt are soon at war.

What an impactful story! There is so much more that I simply cannot add in this review, other than to say go pick up this book and read it. Now! It is impossible to put down. It is a fast-paced read that doesn't slow down, even for the change of perspectives. In fact, it is these very changes that created an incredible puzzle in my mind, one I was more than desperate to solve. This is a stunning book that definitely deserves 5 stars.

Many thanks to Bookouture and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinon.
BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'The Woman On The Beach' by Julia Roberts.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Julia Roberts, Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 19th August 2021.

This is the first book I have read by this author.

I was originally drawn to this book by its beautiful cover and intriguing sounding synopsis and title. The synopsis stated that 'Fans of Amanda Prowse, Liane Moriarty and Susan Lewis will absolutely love The Woman on the Beach'. I am a huge fan of Susan Lewis so am looking forward to seeing if this lives up to this statement. I must admit I was also biased due to the publisher being Bookouture. I have yet to read a book published by Bookouture  that I haven't enjoyed. Hopefully this won't be the first... Watch this space! (Written before I started reading the book).

This novel consists of a prologue and 41 chapters. The chapters are short to medium in length so possible to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

This book is based in England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿, UK 🇬🇧, Spain 🇪🇸 and Mexico 🇲🇽 ,North America 🇺🇸. The bonus for me of books that are partly or fully based in the UK is that I live in the UK and have sometimes visited places mentioned in the book which makes it easier to picture.

This book is written in a mix of third and first person perspective and the protagonists are Liv, Grace and Sophie. The benefits of books written in first person perspective are as long as they are well written it makes you feel that you are being spoken to by the protagonist and it can create more of a bond between yourselves and them. If there are several protagonists you also get to see more of what is going on. The benefits of third person perspective with multiple protagonists are that it let's you see the bigger picture of what's going on and you get to know more characters more, what they are thinking and what they are doing. It feels like you get to see the whole picture and not miss out in anything. To have the benefit of bith first and third person perspective ensures you don't miss out on anything.

This book is beautifully written with vivid descriptions that take you from Spain to Mexico to England all while sitting in the comfort of your own home. The cover and synopsis suit the storyline perfectly.

It is set over/includes multiple time lines. When books show what has happened in the past and what is happening in the present I find it really helps the reader (if it is well done) understand why things are happening and what has lead to the present activities and decisions. It also shows the bigger picture.

The storyline is about the friendship of three friends and the changes losing one can make to the dynamics of the friends left and their families. It is filled with friendship, love, tragedy, tears, secrets, loss and more, everything you could want in an unputdownable family drama. It was quite fast paced and it kept me constantly turning the page until I finished with it in one sitting. There were a few surprises among the way which completely shocked me and I was definitely not expecting so congratulations Julia as it is getting harder to surprise me. This is a book that you can read curled up in front of a fire or laying on a sunny beach. I felt completely absorbed in the storyline and really enjoyed it. The booking ended perfectly and the storyline also touches on some subjects that need to be discussed more which is great. I wasn't sure whether to mention those subjects both as a trigger warning as well as when I was reviewing the book. I decided not to in the end as I feel if I mention them it will give to much away. I hope I make the right decision in doing this but for those who have read it they will know what subjects I'm referring to and another congratulations to Julia on discussing these subjects as it may help future readers who may be going through this themselves.

The characters were realistic and strong and I loved meeting them. The friendship between Sophie, Grace and Liv is beautiful and I loved reading the dynamic between them before the accident and it was intriguing to watch how relationships grew and changed after the accident. Again, the problem I'm having is saying too much without spoiling it for future readers so I won't go into their characters any more than that. I absolutely adored Jamie and thought he was such a lovely guy and Liv was definitely lucky to have him. The fact that he is an animal lover makes him even better. Again (sorry) I have to be careful with what I say but I do want to say that I think 2 other couples were lovely and I'm really glad of the choices made at the end and think they were perfect. This wasn't how I felt half way through with two people in particular being slated by me in their choices and attitudes but everything was a lovely ending. I know that may not make sense if you haven't read it but if you do, and I definitely recommend you do, then you'll understand me.

Congratulations Julia in an absolutely beautiful but heartbreaking unputdownable page turner. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you!!

Overall a heartbreaking but gorgeous unputdownable page turner that will lift your spirits by the end.

Genres covered in this book include Fiction, Psychological Thriller, Mystery and Psychological Fiction amongst others.

I would recommend this book to the fans of the above as well as fans of Susan Lewis and anyone else looking for a beautiful family drama.

255 pages.

This book is just £1.99 to purchase on kindle via Amazon which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated 5/5 (I LOVED it ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews

#TheWomanOnTheBeach #Bookouture #JuliaRoberts #NetGalley #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour
@JuliaRoberts @Bookouture @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86

I absolutely loved this book – but have to say that I’ve really found it incredibly difficult to write a review that won’t entirely ruin the story for others. When I picked it up, all I knew about it was the book’s description – it’s really all about the afterwards, what follows after that encounter on the Mexican beach. I really must allow every reader to discover it for themselves, but I’ll happily admit that it was nothing like the book I was expecting. And lest you worry, I mean that in the best of ways – I couldn’t put the book down after its intriguing prologue and opening chapter, enjoyed every moment of its wonderful twists and turns, and when I finally reached the final page (and it might have been accompanied by a “phew!”), I could only think how very much I’d enjoyed it. Well, until I started to worry about how on earth I was going to write a review…

In 2006, Sophie, Grace and Olivia are firm friends – looking forward to a gap year of travel and adventure once they’ve received their A level results. Sophie’s certain to have done well, and does – she’s very much the golden girl, excelling at everything she turns her hand to, very much the most self-confident of the three. Olivia’s less cocky, but does well too – but then comes Grace’s turn, and her results are a disappointment. Grace’s family are less supportive – their focus is always on her brother – and she hasn’t knuckled down as she should have, finding some happiness in the company of her boyfriend, largely as an escape from her unhappy home life. She resits her exams, and joins the other two part way into their trip, when they’ve made it to Mexico – where something particularly unsettling happens, and the partying is drawn to an end.

We rejoin them over ten years later. Olivia has had a particularly rough time with the death of her father and a miscarriage, it’s fairly obvious there are significant problems with her marriage, and she decides to take a beach holiday in Mexico – it’s the one place where no-one would think to look for her, after that unfortunate experience on the earlier trip. Grace is living in Spain, where Sophie joins her to escape from a few problems of her own – but when Sophie is killed in a rail accident, Grace chooses to disappear entirely. Enough though – we’re now at the point of that encounter on the beach, and that’s when the story takes off in an entirely unexpected way…

This book really does have a bit of everything – primarily perhaps family-based drama, but a touch of psych thriller in there too, and a few serious issues handled and explored exceptionally well. If you’ve read the author’s books before, you’ll already know how superbly she handles and builds a character driven story – there are people in this book who you dislike and mistrust, only to find yourself entirely in their corner and wiping away a tear a few chapters later. Her emotional touch is quite perfect, and this book is full of heart-piercing moments – and then the story twists again and carries you away in an entirely different direction. There’s a lot about identity, trust, fresh starts, not judging from first impressions… and my goodness, I thought it was wonderful.

Do try and stay away from the reviews, dive in, and you’ll thoroughly enjoy this one – I most certainly did. You might just feel a teeny bit confused at the start while you’re trying to work out who’s who and the timelines remain entangled, but when it hits its stride the pages turn ever faster and you’ll speed through it, relishing every clever twist and turn. I so enjoy Julia Roberts’ writing – I’m already really looking forward to seeing what she comes up with next!
Liv, Sophie and Grace met when they were young and were best friends, until Sophie and Grace were killed in a terrible accident and Sophie died. Liv returns to the beach that she had visited with Sophie and Grace where life once again changes, she’s sure she saw Sophie!
This book starts slow and builds to have many twists and turns and suspense. Memories, family and friendships are superbly written into this amazing page turner, a thought provoking read.

Wow, what a tearjerking, thrill that was!  Told from different perspectives, The Woman in the Beach tells the story of 3 women and their friendship which caused huge devastation when one of them died.  Life wouldn't be the same again.  I loved this thrilling page turner
Book Review: The Woman on the Beach by Julia Roberts

Book Title: The Woman on the Beach

Author: Julia Roberts

Length: 255 pages

Publisher: Bookoutre

Publication Date: August 19, 2021

Genre: Woman’s Fiction, Relationships, Fiction

My Rating: *****/5

Summary:

The story is about 3 friends, Sophie, Grace and Olivia (Liv). One of them dies and the confusion is who actually perishes. The story is the journey of one of the friend perishing, while the other distancing herself totally from all the relationships in her life. The book deals with the topics of Amnesia, Controlling Relationships, Post Partum Depression and Bond of Friendship.

My Take:

I Thank Netgalley and the Publisher for providing me with the ARC of this marvellous book. I hereby state that all the views on the book pertain to my own and is not a paid review.

I can definitely state that Bookoutre has become my favorite publisher on Netgalley and till date all the books provided to me by the publisher have been absolutely marvellous. I commend the publisher for bringing gems of books for reading which can hook the reader and make the reading experience worthwhile. I again thank Bookoutre for approving all my book review requests and secretly hoping to be in their auto-approval list.

Talking about this book, what do i say! This book covers so many vast topics and some which are not being openly discussed viz, Controlling Relationships and Post Partum Depression (PPD). While covering the topics the book also focusses on the friendship of 3 main protagonists thereby weaving a beautiful story around it. I simply was hooked to this book and must admit that i completed this book in very little time as compared to other reads by keeping myself up full night.

Characters are beautiful and believable at the same time. The portrayal of characters are such that you actually start believing in the evilness of them. The traits of the characters do change with the difference in views. The story is narrated from 2 people’s perspective and their perspective defines the traits of the other characters in the story which is totally justified.

Pace of the book is fast and constant. The twists and turns are marvellous. Never in the book was there a dull moment. Rather with every new twist, you are keen to read on to know whats coming next. I won’t term this book as a thriller though since for me the thrill factor was a bit less and i was more intrigued by the storyline.

Overall, I adored this book and would definitely be one of my favorite reads for the year 2021.
Thanks NetGalley, Bookouture and Julia Roberts for an ARC to review.
An interesting page turner about friendship, loss, new beginnings and hope
When Liv loses her best friends, one to death in a terrible accident and the other by estrangement life was hard to tolerate with all the other losses and hardships she was facing.
One sunny day on the beach she thinks she saw Sophie, her dead best friend, or was her mind playing games on her?
Sophie, Liv and Grace have been friends since school. Sophie is killed in a train crash in Spain while visiting Grace, who has moved there. In the aftermath, Grace disappears.  After a traumatic miscarriage, Liv visits Mexico, a place where she, Grace and Sophie had a great holiday as young singles.
While she is there she spots a familiar face on the beach….
A wonderful read full of heart tugging moments. I find in some books I can guess what’s up ahead, but in this case, there were so many red herrings.  I found myself continually revising my opinion of certain characters and as the book reached its conclusion, the final twist was quite unexpected.

Many thanks to Netgalley, Julia Roberts and Bookouture for an ARC of The Woman on the Beach in exchange for an honest review.
Ever since we locked fingers and swore to be best friends at school, Sophie was there for me. When she married my brother, I followed her down the aisle as a bridesmaid, thrilled that we were becoming a family.
we laughed and cried together. We shared everything. At least I thought we did. And then it was gone. The terrible accident that took her life devastated me. She was so quiet these last few months. I keep thinking there is something i don't know.

Liv, Grace and Sophie have been best friends since they were at school. Live thought she saw her dead friend on a beach in Mexico. Liv is taking a break from her marriage to Jamie and decides to visit Grace. There's been a lot of tragic events in Liv's life recently. Could the stress be making her mind play tricks on her?

The chapters jump back and forth in time and are told from Liv, and Sophie's perspectives. This is one of those books I think you are better going into blind, plus I don't want to spoil it for potential readers. The plotline has been cleverly crafted with well developed characters. It's quite an emotional book to read.

I would like to thank #NetGalley #Bookouture and the author #JuliaRoberts for my ARC of #TheWomanOnTheBeach in exchange for an honest review.
The Woman on the Beach was a fast-paced read that was based on an interesting premise.  Sophie, Grace, and Liv are three friends whose lives are drastically changed after a tragic accident.  The Woman on the Beach is the story of events leading up to the accident, as well as the devastating aftermath.

I enjoyed the initial mystery but quickly became confused with the frequent jumping back and forth in time at the beginning of the book. I also felt like the transitions were a bit abrupt. One moment I was convinced that I knew what was going on, and then a sentence or two later and the narrator (one of two) was taking us in a completely different direction.

The overall story was certainly a page turner but some of the details left me confused and wanting more.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC.
I requested this book as I was attracted to the Tulum beach setting and a story of friendship between 3 girls.  This novel is a mystery with suspense and a few twists along the way.

At first, I was confused with the 3 different characters but I was fine by the 20-30% mark where the story started picking up.

If you are looking for a fast read and a few suspenseful twists, this is a great book. The pace was good throughout the book and I enjoyed the characters. However, it deals with a few hard subjects such as post parfum depression, grief and spousal abuse but not in dramatic ways.

Do not shy away from this book!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for granting me a complimentary e-arc in exchange for my honest review.
I picked up The Woman on the Beach by Julia Roberts when I saw the tagline gripping family drama, that to me sounded a bit like a popcorn read watching everyone’s problems unfold. However, after reading this one I’d more call it a psychological drama which was perfectly fine too as once invested I fell right into trying to figure out who was lying or telling the truth and who to trust.

The story revolves around Liv who was once best friends with Grace and Sophie becoming friends as children. Sophie had even married Liv’s brother and Liv was in their wedding then Liv married her brother’s best friend so you can imagine how close these women were. However, Sophie and Grace were involved in a horrific accident where Sophie did not survive and Grace withdrew from everyone leaving her friends and family behind.

Liv was left to cope with all the loss on her own all the while having even more pain in her life on top of losing her friends. Once Liv’s marriage becomes in danger she decides to take a trip to a place she’d once traveled with Grace and Sophie to reflect when she spies a woman on the beach that looks just like Sophie. Liv knows that the woman just couldn’t be Sophie but the resemblance really shocks her and before she knows it the woman is gone and Liv heads back home.

As much as the description for the book intrigued me I also picked this one up because I have read Julia Roberts before and have enjoyed her books. This story took a little warming up to in the beginning switching between the points of view in different timelines but despite the slower start I did become completely invested in the characters and story. I loved the psychological aspect of this one and just waited for the twists that I knew would be coming and they certainly did come along and turned this one into something I wasn’t expecting at all which was certainly a gripping ride.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
This is a story about family and friendship. Love and loss. Happiness and heartbreak. And above all, memories. It's a story that begins in one vein and ends up totally different in another. Having read the author's previous book "My Mother's Secret" I knew it would be a hard one to top as that one was just totally brilliant...but THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH is an enjoyable read in another way.

Three women - Liv, Sophie and Grace - have been best friends since their first day in senior school all those years ago. Upon graduating, the friends decide to take a gap year and travel before settling down at university. While Liv and Sophie both aced their exams, Grace hadn't and so she stayed behind to resit them and then join her friends on their travels in Mexico in January time to celebrate Sophie's birthday. But something happens on that trip that changes their course of their lives, and their friendship, forever.

Spain 2014: A woman sits in the airport lounge awaiting her flight to Guatamela, her hands shaking, when the TV screens surrounding them come to life, reporting the tragic news of a deadly train crash that the lives of all by two people. The woman tries to block it out. But the fragmented snippets invade her memory...falling...the silence...the explosion. The woman smiles beside her and asks her if she's alright to which she replies that she's a bit nervous of flying. But as she closes her eyes all she can hear is the sound of screaming metal and the silence before the explosion. Her hand shakes as she hovers over the button of the email she's about to send that will change everything. Now there is no going back.

Mexico 2018: Still reeling from her husband Jamie's unexpected revelation, Liv lays on the sun drenched beach in Tulum just outside her beachfront cabin ruminating over how their marriage has come to this. She knows she has not been the easiest to get along with in the past three years but it hasn't been plain sailing for her either these past three years. First there was her miscarriage then the tragic death of Sophie in Spain to Grace disappearing off the face of the earth and, more recently, the sudden death of her father to cancer...all of which Liv hasn't had a chance to grieve for any of it. So when Jamie suggested this trial separation Liv was devastated. Jamie's her soul mate and she can't imagine life without him. So to give herself some breathing space and time to think things over, Liv decides to go back to the place where she and her two best friends visited in their gap year but vowed they would never return for a week's reprieve.

Now as she enjoys the quiet almost secluded beach she drifts off to sleep and is suddenly awoken by a dog barking. She follows the sound to a bouncy gold retriever running along the pier and welcoming his owners as they return to the beach from their swim. Something about the woman strikes a cord with Liv as she watches them return to their pile of clothing on the sand and tossing them on over their wet bathers.

And then she sees it...the woman's arm...and it stirs a memory. Sophie. She calls her name...the name of her best friend who died three and a half years ago. And with those words she is sure she sees the woman freeze momentarily...or did she? Eager to catch up to the couple, Liv reaches around to hastily tie her bikini top but when she turns back...they have gone.

Was the woman on the beach Sophie or did she just imagine it? But how can that be since Sophie is dead? It would have been Sophie's birthday just a couple of days ago. What with that, her unresolved grief and her recent troubles with Jamie, it could well just be a case of her conjuring up the memory of Sophie as she has been at the forefront of her mind for the past three years. Without further regard, Liv pushes all thoughts of the woman on the beach from her mind and returns to England and hopefully back into the loving arms of her husband.

But Liv has only been home a week when an unexpected letter arrives throwing caution to the wind and everything she thought she knew is is now under question. The only way to uncover the truth is to return to where it all began...when the three friends were at their happiest before life took a tragic turn and changed them all forever. Before Liv married Jamie and Sophie married Tom, Liv's brother, and Grace moved to Spain. Before the train crash that claimed Sophie's life and caused Grace to disappear in a cloud of grief and guilt at surviving. Before university, when life was good and they were young and carefree. Before everything changed.

But is Liv prepared for what she is about to uncover? And will any of their lives ever be the same again when she does?

The premise for THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH is definitely intriguing and upon starting the book it wasn't long before I figured out the line along which it was heading. But that was only the beginning. What ensues is a far deeper tale of the joys and heartbreaks of these three friends and how things went tragically wrong.

The story moves along at a steady pace throughout with easily spaced chapters that weren't long and drawn out. The narratives alternate between Liv, Grace and Sophie mostly between 2014 and 2018 with some leading up the former and latter days. We go to see the respective husbands in Jamie and Tom respectively through Liv and Sophie's eyes whilst life with Luis through Grace's. I didn't like Tom and his behaviour I don't think was adequately explained in the end and didn't sit right with me. I do, however, love Jamie and Luis who were the kindest, most forgiving and compassionate. But my favourite character by far was Vince...and I'm so glad that he got his happy ever after above all!

Julia Roberts has an engaging writing style that easily pulls the reader in unlike others in the same genre. Contemporary women's fiction is not really my thing but there are but a handful of authors who easily capture my attention and hold it throughout and Ms Roberts is one of them. THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH is definitely an addictive page-turner with several twists to be savoured along the way and everything being tied up at the end...though not in the way I had expected or would have actually preferred. The original angle was my preferred choice as for me that was far more believable.

Overall, THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH is an emotional and heartbreaking read perfect for lovers of contemporary fiction or chick lit. And though it's not a patch on "My Mother's Secret" , it is still worth a read.

I would like to thank #JuliaRoberts, #NetGalley and #Bookouture for an ARC of #TheWomanOnTheBeach in exchange for an honest review.
Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.  I really enjoyed the style and writing in the book.  It was a good storyline and characters that were sympathetic. I liked the book but was just a little disappointed in the ending, it was tied up a little too neatly for me. I’d have liked another twist at the end! But overall a good read.
This is an unexpected twisty story that will keep you reading until the end. Just when you think you know how the story is going to end it has another twist.  This is a story about 3 forever friends, Liv, Grace and Sophia.  Sophia falls in love with Liv’s brother, and gets married. Then an accident happens and Sophia dies, Grace goes on to live her life not wanting contact with Liv. Liv struggles to get over the loss of her baby, her father and her best friend. Liv’s husband Jaimie suggests a separation. Liv decides to go to Mexico to try to figure out what to do with her life. One night in the distance she sees a woman that looks like her best friend Sophia that has been dead for 3 yrs.

Who is the woman? Did her best friend not die? Where has she been fir the last 3 yrs?

Fun story, interesting characters!
Thank you Netgalley for complimentary copy.