Cover Image: What She Knew

What She Knew

Stephanie. Married to college professor, Oliver, with two adorable children, she lives in a lovely house, surrounded by beautiful things.

It hasn’t always been like this.

Nine years ago, Stephanie’s flatmate Alison vanished, presumed murdered. It was a horrible time, and Stephanie tries hard not to think about it.

But when a TV researcher working on a true crime series wants to interview her about the case, Stephanie is forced to confront the past and recognise that she has a deep need to answer one burning question – what happened to Alison?

It soon becomes clear that someone doesn’t want her digging for the truth and is willing to do anything to conceal a shocking web of lies. As her perfect life unravels, Stephanie realises that by opening a door into the past she has woken a sleeping monster. And now it’s her own life that is on the line…
This book wasn’t for me. I didn’t feel a connection to the characters, and I wasn’t able to keep interest. Thank you for sharing.
Domestic thrillers are my favorite, so going into this I had a good feeling about it. I am happy to report I am as happy ending it as I was starting it. I thought this was really well written. From the very first page I was hooked. I spent the entire novel going back and forth with Steph with whether we trusted her husband. I loved the way this unfurled and revealed itself little bits at a time. The distrust from Stephanie really kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end. The shocking reveal definitely took me by surprise. I was flabbergasted by the turn of events. I do think the epilogue laid it on a bit thick and I could have done without Rahul coming back but if you want things tied up in a nice bow I guess that's how you do it. Overall, I thought this was a really well done thriller with the perfect amount of character development and drama. I look forward to reading more from this author. Thanks to the publisher & NetGalley for my advanced copy in exchange for a review.
A fantastic story with interesting characters. It was full of twists which had me reading till the early hours . I look forward to reading more by Miranda
Thanks NetGalley for the ARC of What She Knew by Miranda Riijks
What a great read. This was a page turner and I couldn't out the book down
Main character Stephanie is married to Oliver, professor of History and art collector. They have 2 children and are happily married. Stephanie finds out she is pregnant and isn't sure if another child is what she wants, she really wants to pursue her Law degree.
But of course there is a twist, Stephanie lost her best friend about 10 yrs ago, she disappeared and has yet to be found. Josh is currently convicted, but did he really commit a murder?
This is a must read with twists and turns, find out who dunnit
Stephanie's roommate vanished while they were both at university. Stephanie has always felt guilty about not being there for her friend, so much so that she gave up her relationship with Rahul and instead, turned to her professor, Oliver for solace.

Oliver is older and more sophisticated and Stephanie had made him and their kids the focus of her life, until a reporter shows up asking about the disappearance of her friend. Stephanie has to defy her husband to talk to the reporter, but then things start to go awry. Stephanie ponders the unthinkable - did Oliver have something to do with the missing girl?

This is a well written mystery with a few flaws, some women might find Stephanie's lack of self confidence a bit off-putting (she feels that she has to hide a lot things from from her husband including the fact that she is studying for a law degree!) and like me, some reader might find the ending a bit of a let down. However, I would read another book by this author.

Thank you to Net Gallery for providing this e-book in exchange for an unbiased review.
What She Knew is another mystery thriller written by Miranda Rijks. The book's layout is similar to The Influencer and will keep you intriguing from the beginning. The author is jumping from the past to the present, from chapter to chapter, providing two different stories to solve the puzzle finally. Its intriguing mystery kept me turning pages and guessing until the end. The ending twist, I think, was a bit too rushed - too much happened at once. Interesting protagonist creation, with some shortcomings that make her more realistic - naive nature or flustrating thoughts.
Stephanie has an average life - husband, two children. Trying to develop her qualification, she is secretly studying in the home. Nine years ago, during their studies, her flatmate disappeared. As a result of an ongoing investigation, her boyfriend Josh qualified for Alison's murder, even if her body was never found. Now David Green, a true-crime reporter reopening Alison's case and trying collet material for a podcast. As much as Stephanie is keen to help, her husband is against talking to journalists. Stephanie is beginning a secret investigation by herself and finding out that some want her to drop it. Some stranger things start forming, and she will be unsure whom she is supposed to trust. How far will she move to dig out the truth from the past? How devastating will it be?
An overall quick, thrilling read.

Thank you, NetGalley and Incubator Book, for an ARC of this book, in exchange for an honest review.
3 for neutral, tried to read a couple times and just didn’t grab me.  Will update at a later date if able to finish.
Stephanie and Alison were flatmates when they were at university together but most nights Alison slept at Jason’s flat. One night, Stephanie was meant to meet her for a drink to discuss something but she went to a swanky bar with a male friend she fancied instead. Stephanie returned home the next morning.  When she didn’t see Alison over that weekend, Stephanie thought she was with Jason but it turned out she was missing. They eventually charged Jason although he protested his innocence.

Nine years later, a TV researcher gets in touch with Stephanie to ask about interviewing her and her husband about Alison to see if there are any details that will help with finding her killer or where she is now. Stephanie is hesitant as she had a really bad time dealing with the loss of Alison and doesn’t want to bring it all back up now she has a family, her husband doesn’t want it either. Then she gets to thinking about it and decides to help. To start with Stephanie sees the researcher with her husband but he doesn’t seem interested so she carries on by herself. It’s when the researcher starts asking questions and she sees the photos that things start coming together for her and then her life is in danger!

The burning question is what really happened to Alison that weekend and why mustn’t it come out?

This was an intriguing story and got me hooked straight from the start. I found it really hard to put down and I really enjoyed reading it. It was really well written and very descriptive. I believe I have read one of Miranda’s books before and I will certainly be reading more of her books as she seems to have a flair for a storyline I seem to like. This was something a little bit different and would make a great TV programme to watch.
What She Knew wasn’t my cup of tea....but that doesn’t mean it can’t be yours!

Did not finish so three star rating for fairness.
⭐⭐⭐ -- Went pear shaped near the end.

This one was okay. The mystery held my interest and kept me guessing until the end. The characters were intriguing, and it was a relatively quick read. However, the ending felt rushed and the big "twist" was rather far-fetched and dare I say, cheesy? 🤷🏻‍♀️

**ARC Via NetGalley**
I've become a bit of a fan of Miranda Rijks. This wasn't my favourite of her books so far but it did keep me turning the pages. I found the ending a bit far fetched but it was worth it. My full review appears on Weekend Notes.
There's something so addictive about Miranda rijks's writing style, i don't know if it's about how fast paced and engaging her storytelling is, or just how her characters , although really flawed,are really relatable.
This book doesn't have a gritty, heavy and rich plot, i would actually dare to describe it as quite bare, it had a really simple plot, not that original i might add, but it was hella engrossing, it was so unputdownable, i felt like devouring the book, that's how good it was.
The main character, whom the story is told from her pov, is not a reliable narrative, which gave the story some edge, i liked how it felt like i truly was in Stephanie's head throughout the book, and although the character's thoughts were at times frustrating, it just showed how humane she was.
The storyline was really engaging, while it definitely has a simple plot, almost straight forward, i liked the simplicity of it, it was a nice break after some hardcore books.
The ending was half expected, but there was a plot twist that i truly didn't see coming, which was good because if it was done the anticipated way that would've put the book on the "tacky" shelf.
So overall, a really good read.
*I received an ARC of this book in exchange of an honest review via netgalley and the publisher*
We like to think we know those around us. But what happens when those closest to us aren’t as they appear?

This story has a slight predictability, but that could be because this is the genre I prefer to read and I read hundreds of them a year.

Like watching an 80’s horror flick where you’re screaming at the girl not to go in the house by herself, you’ll find yourself yelling at Stephanie for some of her actions.

Read this story!
Stephanie is content with her life, married to a college professor and mom to two children. When a TV journalist contacts her regarding the mystery of her missing college flatmate, Alison, she has no choice but to recall her memories of what happened so long ago. Alison's boyfriend Josh was charged with her disappearance and has been in jail for her presumed death. As Stephanie starts digging deeper she realizes that she might not really know the people she trusts the most.

This is the second book I've read from this author and I enjoyed it. The book goes back in time to Stephanie and Alison's college days, where Alison starts acting strange and tries contacting Stephanie about something she wants to talk about right before she disappears. In the present someone is threatening Stephanie to stop looking for answers, which propels her to figure out the truth and putting herself in danger. I thought this was a good read and didn't figure out the big reveal until the ending. Looking forward to reading more from this author.

Thank you Netgalley and Inkubator Books for the opportunity to read this book.
I read this on my summer holiday, perfect summer reading. A great mystery  with lots to grab your attention, brilliant flow which made reading easy, great thriller.
I really loved this book!! It had so many twists and turns. It kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next!! This was my first book by this Author, and it won’t be the last!! Quick read!! Highly recommended!! You won’t be disappointed!!
This is an easy read, good for the beach. The plot was too predictable for me with the typical lack of character development you see in a “beach read” mystery. I found Stephanie to be too naive as a character and it made the book too unbelievable for me. The ending was also a little too much of a happy ending for me. Overall though, a 2.5 which I will round up to 3 stars.
This was such a delightful read.  Stephanie has suffer loss after loss in her life.  And just when things seem to be perfect: a wonderful marriage to a handsome and successful man, two healthy kids: an unraveling begins that deconstructs her entire life and everything she has known to be true.  It is a wild ride as each layer of the onion is unpeeled.  I would love to read it again now that I know how it ends.  A great book.
Stephanie’s university flatmate, Allison, disappeared without a trace 9 years ago and a documentary researcher has begun investigating her disappearance causing Stephanie to reevaluate what happened to her friend. Stephanie is now married to her former professor and is a stay-at-home mother to two children.

Once again I seem to be reading two books with very similar storylines. Both stories involve the disappearance and presumed murder of a close acquaintance 9-10 years previously while they were attending university/college. Both are told mainly from the viewpoint of the narrator in chapters identified basically as 'Then' and 'Now'. The stories went in different directions but to me this one was more fun and a quicker read. Even though Stephanie appeared to be subservient to Oliver, I think she had more backbone than she was given credit for. None of the characters had a lot of depth but sometimes you just have to smile and go with the flow of the story. There were a couple of twists that caught me by surprise and the epilogue brought a tear to my eye as did the author's notes at the end.

I think this was a Read Now on Netgalley so thanks to Miranda Rijks, the author, Inkubator Books, the publisher, and to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this ARC of "What She Knew". All opinions expressed are my own.

Publication Date: July 18, 2021