Cover Image: Read This to Get Smarter

Read This to Get Smarter

If you have so many questions about so many things, or if you have a basic understanding of a lot of the things mentioned in this book title, or you are anywhere in between those two, you should read this book! Imani put together an accessible, informative book that covers a lot of topics that are widely misunderstood in today's society, like racism and disability. Each chapter is broken into small sections to explain parts of the whole. If you are consistently trying to learn and grow, or know someone who wants to learn but just hasn't fid the right resources, then I highly recommend this book. It covers so much and yet it isn't overwhelming at all.
Thanks to Netgalley and Clarkson Potter/Ten Speed apress for the e-ARC.
I appreciate what the author is doing but unfortunately dont think her bubbly personality and charisma that we see in smarter in seconds translated onto the page.
Read This to Get Smarter About Race, Class, Gender, Disability and More by Blair Imani is aptly titled and delivers on this promise. I finished the book and did feel smarter. Imani has written a comprehensive guidebook that would be a helpful tool for any equity, diversity and inclusion team or any individual looking to grow their understanding of the human experience. The reflection questions at the end of each chapter will help the reader uncover their belief system and incorporate the new information into their daily lives. I finished the book only days ago, and I’ve already found myself using new terminology and thinking in new ways.

Imani is an educator, and complex concepts were explained clearly and supported by evidence. Imani also brings deep personal experience to the work. If I have any criticism to offer about Read This to Get Smarter, it would be that I would have liked a little more storytelling and less direct instruction.
I continue to be impressed with the work of Blair Imani! I first encountered Blair on instagram, with her Smarter in Seconds videos since she tackles pretty tough concepts in a really succinct and accessible way. Read This To Get Smarter really takes that same approach - taking on large concepts such as racism, identify, and even capitalism in short, manageable, and honest sections. After each section the author provides reflection questions for the reader to asses their own familiarity with the concepts and to potentially determine where more work may need to be done. However, for me this book was a little too short as someone familiar with most of the topics and information the author was presenting, especially since a large number of pages are dedicated to the bibliography at the end. I loved the bibliography and this helps to serve as a self-directed way to learn more about the topics which, to be fair, is something that Blair Imani poses as a necessity to getting smarter about these topics. It is not always on those who are affected by these topics to education everyone around them, that is simply unrealistic and unsustainable. To be smarter about the world and people around us we must individually choose to do better and fill in our knowledge gaps with thorough research. So while I would have loved a more from Read This to Get Smarter, I fully believe that Imani accomplished what she set out to do with this book. It would be the perfect gift for teenagers and new adults who are grappling with the world around them. It presents the concepts and allows room for growth and further exploration.
This is a great book if you're looking to be a more respectful, thoughtful, and caring ally and human. If you've done research on disability, race, class, etc. already, you'll find explanations you're familiar with, and probably some history and statistics that are new to you as well. If you're just beginning your learning, this is an excellent place to start.

As I read this, I kept thinking how this should be required reading in today's high schools. Understanding each other and working to be more considerate and compassionate regarding the things that make us unique and special couldn't be more pertinent in today's climate. Place this into the hands of your teenage kids or friends and family who are searching for ways to do the tough work of unlearning old beliefs and looking to be more inclusive.

Thank you to NetGalley and Ten Speed Press for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
This book is an excellent primer for people unaware of the many complexities around identity and social issues. If you don't know where to start but want to learn, this book will be great for you. If you are scared to ask or have a conversation with someone, read this book. This book is an excellent gift for your friend or family member who needs to learn more but doesn't know where to start.
Perhaps it should be realized from the title - if a person thinks they can make you smarter by sharing what they know, it probably means they have a very high self-concept. I don't feel like there's anything novel or new in this book - it just reads like someone who enjoys talking about themself preaching to the choir. And it is nice to hear one's beliefs echoed back, the presentation isn't going to change any minds.
There is a lot of great information in this book, but I think it tries to be a little too much. It’s a very brief overview of a lot of topics, with nice personal anecdotes included. This would be a great book to give to someone who is new to these topics as a lovely and gentle introduction, but those looking for depth and a challenge will probably find a different book to suit better.

Thanks to the publisher for the review copy!
This book contains a wealth of information, but that is not what will make readers "get smarter". Blair Imani shares personal anecdotes that demonstrate concepts in a way that readers can relate to and empathize with. She writes with a beautiful honesty.

"Read This to Get Smarter" presents an opportunity for readers to learn about facts and ideas, but also to look within themselves to become more emotionally intelligent. This book is not just for reading, it is a great starting place for discussion and self-reflection.

This title is not accessible to readers whose core values do not align with those presented in the book. The book is too short to really ease people into ideas that they might be unfamiliar or uncomfortable with. There is a lot of information that makes it great for personal reflection, but it should not be the first book in the "reading ladder" for someone who wants to learn more about the topics covered in the book.

One topic that really resonated with me was Blair Imani's clear breakdown of intrapersonal, interpersonal, and systemic racism. Her discussion of the history of racialization as it relates to colonization was powerful, and did in fact make me feel smarter.
The first book for me to read by this author but I will be on the lookout for more for sure! Highly recommend this one!
Blair Imani is one of the clearest, most concise names in the game. I just placed several pre orders to give this book out as a holiday gifts to a handful of relatives who have struggled to keep up with the changing times. Highly, highly recommend.