Cover Image: Apples Never Fall

Apples Never Fall

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an e ARC of this book.
Not a fast read and maybe it goes on top long. But a twisty turney not predictable plot filled with interesting characters. Save it for a cozy winter afternoon.
Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty is her latest book about scandal in the Sydney suburbs. This time around, we are introduced to the Delaneys, a tennis family whose glory days are in the past. The kids are grown but are all struggling to overcome the sense of having let down their parents. And the parents seem to be looking for some sort of fulfillment they were not able to get from their children. As in most of the Moriarty books, the past is dug up and secrets are revealed to create a juicy plot. The author is great at creating fast-paced stories full of tension and unexpected twists and this one does not disappoint. The ending seemed to run a bit long, describing how the  characters coped during the lockdown of 2020. While interesting, it read like a multi-chapter epilogue. Future readers may appreciate this bit of historical perspective, but it may make the book dated before it's time. In any case, this will be recommended for all fans of domestic fiction.
For the first third to half of this book, I was ready to give up.  I'm glad I stuck with it.  It's not my favorite Liane Moriarty books but there are definitely twists and turns that are worth stick around for.  This books follows the story of the Delaney siblings as they deal with the disappearance of their mom, Joy.  The story delves into some typical story arcs, but does make it interesting enough with some not so typical story arcs.

Thanks to Henry Holt and Netgalley for the advanced copy.
To be honest, I didn't enjoy this one or her last (Nine Perfect Strangers) as much as her earlier books. Apples Never Fall felt a little long, it took awhile for the mystery to unravel, and the big reveal was disappointing. There was also a lot of information about tennis I could have done with it. Despite those qualms, it was a decent read. I liked how she incorporated COVID19 into the end of the book. I enjoyed the dynamic between the four siblings, and how they dealt with the possibility that their dad may have murdered their mom.
Parts of this novel were intriguing and well plotted; others were wordy and wandering. Perhaps if 100+ pages of its nearly 450 pages were edited out, the story would have moved more quickly without losing its focus on family relationships. As it is, the characters are well developed but the ending is too fairytale-like to hold its own with the rest of the novel.

Thanks to NetGalley and Henry Holt and Company for the ARC to read and review.
Another enjoyable read by Liane Moriarty. A family's strained relationships are put to the test as they search for their missing matriarch. It is not easy getting older, and Joy is searching for meaning and identity in her life, as are her husband and children. A family crisis causes them all to look deep into themselves.
Moriarty is one of my favorite authors! I really enjoyed it. The beginning was a little slow for me but then the twists started and I could not put it down. I have ordered this for the  library and have many patrons that will enjoy it.
What a page-turner!  I couldn't put this book down!  It's the story of a family consumed by tennis in all aspects of their lives.  When the matriarch of the family goes missing, the mystery sets in.
What's especially interesting are the family dynamics.  There are four grown-up children whose sentiments are put to the test when they examine where their loyalties lie within their family structure.  The story is imbued with humor, pathos and betrayal that won't allow you to put down that book until you are finished.   The twists and turns are many and fascinating.  A great read!
I love the tiny details in Liane Moriarty's books. It takes a while for the story to come to light, and it always ends up concluding in unexpected ways, with unusual twists and turns. This book is no exception. The Delaney family have grown up with loving parents, and all four children as vastly different from each other. Stan and Joy raised their children with stability, love, encouragement, while at the same time nurturing their own tennis school dreams. One day Joy disappears, not long after she and Stan have "retired". As the story unfolds an unkind light is shed on their seemingly perfect marriage, and their children are left divided and wondering if their father had something to do with the disappearance of their mother. All eyes are on Stan, and so is the attention of the police trying to solve the mystery of Joy's disappearance. Family secrets begin to come to light in this unusual, compelling novel. What happened to Joy, and did Stan have anything to do with her disappearance?
***Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
I actually waited for the audiobook because the narrator is fantastic! The story seemed to start off slow, but you find yourself drawn in and invested in the lives of the Delaney family. Plenty of twists and drama!
I normally love Liane Moriarty's books but this one was a miss for me. The beginning was really interesting and had me hooked, but the story got so bogged down in the shifting perspectives and time frame that it was almost impossible to get engrossed in the book. It took me much longer to finish than I had planned.
Stan and Joy Delaney, newly retired owners of a tennis academy, are looking forward to enjoying their golden years when Joy suddenly disappears.  Despite having a seemingly perfect marriage, suspicion of murder falls on Stan and the four grown Delaney children must now face the possibility that their father is responsible for the disappearance of their mother.
Family secrets come to light, a mysterious stranger with possible ulterior motives enters the Delaney family’s lives, and jealousy, dysfunction, suspicion and loyalties are called into question as it starts to look more and more likely that Stan will be arrested.
I wanted to love this book. Unlike Big Little Lies and some of Moriarty’s other novels, I could just not find any character to root for or care about. While I think book clubs will eat this book up, I found it a slog to get through.  I’m sure I will read her next novel, but I found this to be a predictable thriller with a too tidy resolution.
Apples Never Fall is a solid addition to your Liane Moriarty collection. The story is character-driven with a focus on the relationships between them. The mother goes missing and the timelines switch between when the kids were young and present day. Moriarty's writing is strong. The novel is engaging. Highly recommended if you enjoy character-driven novels.
This was a so-so read for me and I'm unsure if it was my mood or if the storyline lagged in places, or perhaps it was a bit of both. The family dynamics were very well showcased although quite convoluted at times. Most of the main characters and their neurotic behaviors were a bit on the annoying side but the story balanced itself by introducing appealing peripheral characters such as Indira, Simon, and Claire. The ending seemed to be a long time coming and the slightly ambiguous ending left me a little ungratified.

For me this Moriarty's better books (Husband's Secret is my favorite) but it was better than Nine Perfect Strangers.
Liane Moriarty offers another keeps-you-guessing mystery, this one mired in family drama. The Delaneys looked one way to the world, but operated differently behind closed doors. This was a riveting story that covered more than a generation of one family, and the repercussions and secrets they carried.
I was excited to get this ARC. I loved some
Of Liane Moriarty’s earlier books. The last two left something to be desired, especially Nine Perfect Strangers, which was a disaster.  This book sounded more like her earlier works, and partially, it was.
I liked the basic mystery of the book. There were a couple actually. What happened to Joy, and who is Savannah, and how did they relate to one another. I also liked the device she used where she used the POV of people overhearing things happening, so you’re never quite getting the whole story.
The beginning and middle of the book dragged a lot. Lots of long scenes of nothing but dialogue or reminiscing.  A bit past the halfway point, we find out who Savannah really is, and things pick up a bit. We find out what happened to Joy with about 100 pages left in the book.  Can’t say that I felt it was a shocking twist. The explanation of how no one knew, was pretty unbelievable. Then the book continues on with what happens for about 6 months after, including the Pandemic, which I really wish had been left out. It didn’t help the story at all, and why couldn’t it have been another year?
The final chapter was interesting but kind of felt out of place. Overall a 3 star read. Definitely better than the last two, but not up to her earlier standards.
Apples Never Fall is the latest family drama by Liane Moriarty. Joy Delaney is the matriarch of this tennis-obsessed family. She and her husband, Stan, raised their four children in the competitive tennis world while also coaching multiple students. Joy has now disappeared after sending a cryptic text to her children. Stan is the suspect in his wife's disappearance but the children are torn about whether or not he could be guilty. Long-buried secrets are revealed while the family tries to figure out what has happened to Joy. Read and enjoy!
As I read this it reminded me about the missing mother in Connecticut. In this case the children are older and there is the added factor of a strange woman that came into the household. Of course the hubby of fifty years is the prime suspect..
We see in the window of the character lives from a year ago and then to the present .Showing us a lifetime of their experiences, flaws and secrets.. the ending is jaw
It is a rather long book but a gripping family drama with an amount of mystery, suspense and anticipation. I enjoyed every page of it and looking forward to her next one.
This book was excellent! I could barely put it down.  I’ve always like Moriarty’s books and this did not disappoint! It was suspenseful and kept me guessing, which doesn’t often happen.
Liane Moriarty's newest book is a treat.  The story centers around retired Joy Delaney who is missing. The story involves her husband, her four adult children and a mysterious young woman.  I love way Moriarty makes her characters come alive, they always feel authentic. The thread of humor throughout makes the read so enjoyable. A family drama along with a puzzle make for an enjoyable read.