Cover Image: Reputation

Reputation

It’s like regency era mean girls and I am here for it! Georgiana is sent to live with her aunt and uncle and meets wild and wealthy Frances. She immediately is drawn into Frances’ exciting world of partying. Then she meets the serious Thomas Hawksley who does not approve of these wild ways, but they cannot help but be drawn to each other. Sometimes I just wanted to yell at Georgiana but I definitely enjoyed this one. After a somewhat slow beginning I could not put it down about halfway through. Thank you Netgalley and St. Martin’s Griffin for the egalley in exchange for my honest review.
Ahhhhh geeze. I wanted to like this so much. I wanted to love it so much, I requested the audio after struggling to work through the ebook. I love regency based novels, especially when there is some fun thrown into the mix. This, however, just has me crawling in my skin. Everyone is so unlikable. Whoever described it as Mean Girls and regency meet is somewhat correct. However, I think that without the visual medium to portray the subtleties of regret, guilt, etc, all we get are rude people. At no point did I feel bad for anyone in the book or feel that they had been reasonably sucked into what they were doing as I did with the movie Mean Girls. Overall, I just found the book lacking in characters that were relatable and/or worth empathy.

Stars because I was glad to see some LGBTQ + rep. It's unfortunately still rather rare to see that representation in historical fiction, so I really appreciated it.
Reputation was exactly what I needed after a Bridgeton binge! Lovely, comedic, and hits all the marks of the regency-era that any Austen fan would devour.
I have to admit I love all things regarding the Regency Era, but this book is Regency meets the Me Too movement. And as a self proclaimed feminist I absolutely loved this fact.

The fact that all of the characters show some type of character growth throughout the books was something else that made this book wonderful to read. Georgina's arc reminded me of how hard it was to be a teenager and wanting to fit in. I was never the new kid at a school, but I could relate to everything that she went through. Frances and her friend group reminded me of almost all of the cliques in my private high school.

The story line with Mr. Russell, is what I feel made this book relatable to current times. Georgina decided to be brave and share her story just shows how much this linked back to the world today.

Another thing that I loved about this book is that I could almost relate the story to Taylor Swift's album Reputation (which is a favorite of mine and I don't think gets enough love). While I would need to set the order of songs, I would definitely call it the soundtrack for the book.

This review will be posted to my blog (link below) at 10:30 am on release day.
This book, unfortunately, was not my cup of tea. It was a bit too slow moving at the beginning and I struggled to connect with any of the characters. I found myself dreading going back to reading as the characters were frustrating and unlikeable. I really went into this wanting to like the book, but came away disappointed.
I hesitate to call this a romance novel -- it felt more like Cruel Intensions meets Euphoria meets the Regency Period.... although I didn't love it. I also didn't find it funny, at all.  It was a bit crude bordering on grotesque for me.... and I'm not entirely sure why it didn't work.  Regardless, hope you have better luck!

Reputation comes out next week on April 5, 2022 and you can purchase HERE.

She was surprised at the intensity of her feelings--surprised to find that this sudden moment of vulnerability did not alarm her one bit. No hero in any romance she'd read before had been allowed to feel anything other than righteous anger, any sorrow turning immediately to swift and red-blooded retribution. She was glad that he was going off book; she could tell that anything less would have been a lie.
ARC provided by NetGalley, thank you.

Oof, this is not for me. I gave it until the 20% point but DNF. Clearly a lot of people love it, so it’s probably a me thing.

Georgiana goes to stay with her aunt and uncle and is wanting for adventure. When she finds herself at a party wishing she’d brought a book, she seemed like a character I could get behind. But then she meets Francis and together they start making fun of their host and her dress. From then on, it’s a repetitive continuation of “look at those boring people” “let’s make fun of them” and “oh look how edgy we all are partying half naked and smoking weed.”

This group, I think, is supposed to be amusing? But they’re not. And I think the text is maybe supposed to be pleasantly ridiculous (e.g. the aunt including “sleeping” in a list of all the sorts of activities they do in their area), but it really didn’t land that way for me.

The most sympathetic character was Mr. Burton, the (boring) uncle who advises Georgiana to not let her cleverness fester into cruelty.
I enjoyed Reputation by Lex Croucher! What a fun cast of characters. And perfect for fans of Bridgeton. If you are all about the gossip and drama, this book is for you!
This was not at all what I expected and I ended up loving it. The characters were great and the story was engaging. I loved the Jane Austen/Mean Girls feel it had. So much so, that I finished it in a day. Will definitely recommend.
I received an advanced copy of Reputation from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I love stories set during this time period. This author made me feel like I was there in this time. Her descriptions helped me visualize and imagine myself there. I did feel that some of the character’s actions and events happening were a little repetitive in the middle without feeling like the story or character growth was going anywhere. It was very self-centered and egotistical of the main character. The beginning and end were my favorite parts because I enjoyed the new experiences the character was going through and hearing her thoughts. Comparing those two sections after reading helped me to see that the growth of the main character (and everything that played into that) is the point of this entire story. It made the middle sections make more sense and not feel quite as repetitive and unnecessary. I do still wish we could have gotten to the see the growth a little sooner. All in all, I enjoyed reading this book. It was well written, easy to follow who and what, and gave an interesting story that could easily be relatable to today by many people.  #Reputation #Netgalley
Georgiana Ellers is a 19-year-old young woman living with her aunt and uncle in Regency-era England. Her parents have rather unceremoniously left her in their care, selling their home and moving to the shore under the guise of her mother needing to look after her health. Resigning herself to the boredom and stress of society parties at the elbow of her ton-conscious aunt, Georgiana is delighted when she meets Frances Campbell - a somewhat scandalous member of society's in-crowd, who immediately takes Georgiana under her wing. Frances and her crowd are given to wild partying, spending copious amounts of money, and spending an improper amount of time in the company of the opposite sex. Georgiana loses herself in the abandon of it all, but she feels like she's falling just short of fitting in most of the time. She also falls hard for one of the young men on the fringes of the group, Thomas Hawksley, but he tends to pull back from the wilder group antics.

This book is riding high on the Bridgerton wave, and with good reason: it packs all the glamour of Regency-era Britain, with Shonda Rimes's diverse additions making for a more exciting, interesting experience. Reputation certainly doesn't overlook the issues rampant in Britain at the time; a biracial central character certainly experiences her share of side glances and comments. An LGBTQ+ subplot running through the main story, and there are themes of consent, agency, and social class.
TLDR: Mean Girls in a historical setting. A quick read if you need a bit of a brain break. Heavy on the cattiness, light on the romance.

Georgiana Ellers is sent away by her parents to stay with her aunt and uncle for the summer. Her relatives are conservative and somewhat dull. At an event, Georgiana meets Frances, an extremely wealthy girl and her posse of friends. They engage in behaviors like binge drinking, drugs, and unchaperoned socializing.

I'm gonna be honest that I thought this book was going to be a LOT more queer and a lot more romance-heavy than it was. The main story line was definitely the friendships and navigating high society.

I was rooting for Georgiana so hard that I wanted to smack her upside the head sometimes. It was one of those situations where you can understand why she wanted so strongly to fit in, but also being older and wiser can see how stupid her decisions were.

The cast of side characters were all interesting and had distinct personalities. I'm glad we got to meet so many of them.

I wish we could have seen a bit more of the romance between Frances and Thomas. He was extremely respectful and enjoyable to read about. This plotline was definitely reminiscent of Bridgerton but in much less detail, because it definitely was the B-plot

Overall, I am glad that I picked this book up! I'm not sure if this will be a series, but I would definitely read more from this author in this world.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the gifted eARC!
Between the title, the cover, and the description, this book made it onto my TBR immediately. The main character is named Georgiana Ellers, who is living with her aunt and uncle in a new place after her parents essentially decided that they need a break from her. She knows nobody until a young woman named Frances stumbles upon her hiding in an alcove at a party. From here on, Frances takes Georgiana under her wing and immerses her into her friend group. This friend group is wealthy and general rules don't seem to apply to them. They party, drink, do drugs, and fraternize without the proper supervision - all things that are not seen as respectable during that time period. Don't let the cover fool you, there are very dark topics covered in this book so please look up any trigger warnings (a big one is SA). Overall, I enjoyed this book enough to be interested in seeing it to the end, but the characters didn't entirely pull me in. I can't say I actually enjoyed majority of the characters and the main character didn't win me over until the end. Also if you're hoping for strong romance, it's there, but the book is NOT centered around that. Was this book incredible to where you have to read it ASAP? Not really. However if you like books set in this era, it's a quick read!

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the eArc.
The perfect novel for those who love Bridgerton and Gossip Girl.

Lonely and vulnerable, Georgiana Ellers falls in with Frances and her unfathomably rich, deeply improper friends. Georgiana is introduced to a new world: drunken debauchery, mysterious young men with strangely arresting hands, and the upper echelons of Regency society.

This book is a wild ride and I think Lex for taking me on such an incredible reading experience. It felt like life was getting in the way and all I wanted to do was read more about George and the wild escapades the crew were going to get up to.

I loved getting to know each one of the characters and feeling like they were unique individuals and if they would have been cut from the story it would have suffered. To me, this was such a clean and tight book where no storyline and no sentence felt like filler. It was all necessary to tell a great and dynamic story that could be considered more historic fiction than rom-com. There were points that I laughed out loud and rooted for a kiss to happen but the story touched on darker elements that would better be described as historical fiction.

Final Thoughts - I loved this story and if you like Bridgerton, Emma, Gossip Girl or Means Girls then I think you should most definitely give this novel a chance.

Here is a Spotify Playlist by the author that goes perfectly with the novel.

TW: Drinking, drug use, grief, domestic abuse, sexual assault, mentions of homophobia, racism, slut-shaming, toxic friendships, violence & rape.

Special thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press / St. Martin’s Griffin for sharing this digital reviewer copy with me in exchange my honest opinions.
While advertised as a hilarious historical rom-com, I found this book actually to be a bit darker and not quite historically accurate. Overall, I enjoyed read of this book but it was not what k expected! There are lots of adult themes (SA, disturbing drug abuse) centered around very real topics like racism, misogyny etc. Overall, I enjoyed this book and would definitely read again and read other books by this author but I reach for it when seeking a more serious read.

Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for a digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion
Rating: 3 Stars

This book was such a fun read! I read it in one sitting and I thoroughly enjoyed myself for the entirety of it.  I found it so easy to get pulled into the story and fall for these characters. Can't wait to see more from this author!!
Reputation was a blast to read. I had been keeping my eye on this book since it's been published in the UK for a while already, and am excited for it to make its American debut. If Mean Girls met Gossip Girl met a Jane Austen novel, it would be Reputation, no doubt. I actually found myself distinctly disliking a majority of the main characters, but not in a bad way. The reader watches our main character, Georgianna, from whose wide eyes we see what is to her the glittering society world, turn into that which she at first admires from afar, but because of her ardent desire to fit in soon finds herself becoming exactly that. A bit of a country bumpkin, what else could she be but dazzled by the likes of Frances Campbell and all of her wild and witty friends? In very Mean Girls fashion, we get to see the whole cycle of Georgianna—from taken to sodden (literally—so many drunken parties these kids attend) to realizing what's right, this is as much a coming-of-age novel as a fun romp.

There are some serious subjects, however, that readers should be warned about, from potential sexual assault to substance abuse. Just because these characters are non-stop partiers—or perhaps exactly because they are—doesn't mean the glitter and gilt on their life is real or permanent. Rub too hard, and you see the darkness lurking underneath it all.

This is a perfect springtime book to coincide with Bridgerton Season 2, with its witty dialogue, snappy narration, it is a piece of immersive historical fiction worth adding to your tbr pile.
DNF at 20%, unfortunately. I found it difficult to connect with the characters, and am not really into the bullying stuff. The premise definitely pulled me in, but it ultimately fell a little flat. I do think others will like it though! If regency is your thing, definitely give it a try!

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
3.5 stars, rounded up to 4

Reputation was exactly as advertised - Mean Girls meets Bridgerton - and it was definitely fun to read once you got into the meat of the story. The first half of the book was a little slow, but once the characters and the world were introduced, things definitely picked up.

Georgiana Ellers finds herself the new girl in town after her parents move to the coast, leaving her with her aunt and uncle. She meets the popular, wealthy and kind of scandalous Frances Campbell at her first dinner party and their friendship takes off from there. Georgiana is new to the area and really naive and Frances opens up her eyes to a brand new world full of drunken debauchery, wealthy hijinks and all kinds of scandal as she starts to spend time with Frances and her closest friends. She gets swept up in their lifestyle, leaving behind a lot of herself along the way to fit in with the in-crowd.

Along the way, Georgiana meets Mr. Thomas Hawksley, a reserved and quiet man who is invited to a lot of the same events, but tends to stay on the outskirts of things. She’s intrigued by him and his exotic good looks, but he looks down on the extravagant partying done by Frances and her friends, including Georgiana. After things come crashing down for Georgiana, Mr. Hawksley steps up to help her out, clear her name and ensure her safety. The romance definitely wasn’t the focus of this story, but it was sweet all the same - it felt appropriate for the regency romance time and I liked that they took the time to see who each other was beneath their acquired public personas.

While most of this book was fun, light and easy to read with an interesting twist on regency romance. But it also covered some darker topics when it came to Georgiana, Frances and her group of friends. All of it came together really well and made for a really unique read.
I recieved an advanced copy of this book in exchange of my honest review.

This book was fabulous in so many unexpected ways.

First off, the tone in this book is not what you would expect. It is fun, but also delves into some heavy situations.

The story to me is less of a traditional romance, which focuses on the relationship between the two leads, and more of an exploration of one woman, Georgiana Ellers, stepping out into the world for the first time.

I had a love hate relationship with Georgianna. There were times I felt for her and related, a girl who mostly ignored all her life, dying to be seen. Well she finally does when she catches the eye of Frances Campbell. From there the ups and downs of being dragged into a lifestyle that is not compatible with yours but you still force yourself because for once you are doing something and mean something.

Georgianna also had a lot of negative traits as well. She is not shown to be this perfect angel in this den of sinners. She is not nice a few times in her pursuit to gain approval. But ultimately that is what I really enjoyed a lot about the book.

I love Austen retellings, I like historical books. I like romantic Comedies, I love watching characters interact and grow. I read these types of books a lot. So reading Reputation, which kept me on my toes and I can say when I got to the end it was completely different then how I expected it to be.

I will say, I am rating it 5 stars based soley off the fact that I really had fun reading it. It is by no means a perfect book. I am sure those who really love historical romance will find many issues, as it is very moderized and takes a lot of liberties with the time and setting. I also understand that the Heroine is, probably to some people, an irredeemable character, not fun to be around and just selfish with out realizing it. But to me, the flaws in the book are overweighed by the fun parts, the witty writing and just really subtle and clever things that author has done to get the book from point A to point B.