Cover Image: A Bookshop Christmas

A Bookshop Christmas

Loved this one that ticked all the boxes for a cosy festive read for me this year, including romance and how to move on and deal with grief. Loved all the characters, and made me ache to live there.
A very nice cosy festive read. A little predictable but with lots of side characters to keep the story interesting. I really enjoyed it and it gave me the Christmasy feeling I was hoping for!
Such a cute, sweet love story. I really enjoyed this one. Love the setting and the fun characters. Any book surrounded by a bookshop and a Christmas time, sign me up!
A Bookshop Christmas

by Rachel Burton

Although Christmas is an important part of the setting for A Bookshop Christmas, the story focuses on Megan, a young widow. When she loses her husband Joe to cancer, she retreats back to the bookshop where she grew up. She’s been hanging on emotionally for over three years with support from her mom and two friends, but the bookshop is floundering and her heart is just not in it. Is it time to reenter the world of publishing, to leave behind the security of York and her bookshop?

Xander, a swoon-worthy author, as emotionally damaged as Megan, is scheduled to introduce his newest book at her bookshop. He is rude and arrogant, but maybe those characteristics are just a coverup for his pain and shyness.

One of my favorite characters is Philomena Bloom, Xander’s agent. She is bigger than life and seems to have connections with everyone in the publishing world. My other favorite character is Gus, a dachshund, whose sweetness is woven all through the book.

Megan and Xander have deep, painful secrets that make it difficult for them to open up to others. All is not sweetness and light in this romance. Although you will want a happily ever after for these two, the road is rocky and there is sadness and misunderstanding as they struggle to get over the past and find a hopeful future.

I enjoyed A Bookshop Christmas for the way the characters support each other. They make mistakes but learn to recognize and admit their mistakes and apologize for them. There is humor sprinkled in the book that helps lighten the tough times Megan and Xander go through. It is a thought provoking book and I recommend it.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Rating: 5/5

Category: Romance, Women’s Fiction

Publication:  September 2, 2021—Aria

Memorable Lines:

“Reading is completely subjective and most readers read all kinds of different books. Being a snob about genre is like pretending that reading on e-readers or listening to audiobooks is somehow not proper reading. It’s ridiculous.”

Philomena Bloom burst into the bookshop at exactly three o’clock the next afternoon, leaving a wave of expensive perfume in her wake. The handful of customers browsing the shelves all looked up at the same time like meerkats.

The five stages of grief aren’t linear either—they all seem to exist together in one fiery hell ball of emotion that feels as though it will last forever. People will tell you that time heals but, in my experience, time just takes away the intensity.
4.5 stars rounded up: Megan Taylor's husband died a couple of years ago, and she returned home to help her mother run the family bookshop. The store was opened by her father's parents and although her parents no longer live together, they still have a friendly relationship. Her father is a famous poet, and her mother published stories in a serial magazine. Megan runs the store, but unfortunately, small bookstores struggle to remain open. Megan has prize-winning author Xander Stone coming to do a reading of his new book at her store and even though they do not hit it off when they first meet, they gradually begin to like one another. Megan and her bookclub invite Xander to attend their meeting where they will be talking about romance books, and he seems to have no use for the genre. It turns out the one of the members, and a friend of Megan's actually knows Xander and was a sort of muse for him when he began his writing career. As Megan and Xander spend more time together, they learn more about one another and secrets about Xander's writing are shared. When the secret gets out, will their relationship end before it really begins?

A Bookshop Christmas was such a fun story. It had all the things I love about Christmas romances. We had a meet cute, some animosity, great secondary characters, secrets, struggles, fun Christmas festivities and eventually, recognition and acceptance of feelings. The issue of whether or not they can save the shop was a thread that ran through the story, but if wasn't front and center. It was almost as if they knew it wouldn't work, so wanted to have that one last hurrah and it was fun planning and preparing for it. Megan and Xander were great main characters. They had both lost someone and grief had derailed them for awhile. They also had issues with trust and weren't sure if they wanted to take a chance on love. With the great secondary characters pushing them, I was also rooting for a happily ever after. I have to comment on Xander's agent. She was the comic relief in the story with her big, boisterous, somewhat nosy personality, but was also someone who wanted the best for both characters. If you are looking for a fun, festive Christmas romance, then I recommend A Bookshop Christmas.
What more could you want from a holiday story besides festive spirit and a book shop!? This is a gorgeous little story, you will fall in love with the characters and the setting, and the ending will leave you with a very cozy and happy feeling. The cover is very bright and pulls you in and matches the story perfectly. I had a lot of fun reading this book!
Thank you so much to NetGalley andAria and Aries for my copy of A Bookshop Christmas by Rachel Burton in exchange for an honest review. It published September 2, 2021.
This book was just really cute, and really sweet. I loved that although it took place during Christmas, it wasn't completely Christmas-focused, meaning that really, you could read it any time of the year! I really enjoyed Megan's relationship with her friends, co-workers, book club, and family. I thought there was a pretty decent character arc and development. I appreciated how quickly things moved, and I also enjoyed the peek into how life works in the publishing and book world.
This was a "closed-door" romance, so you don't have to worry about blushing and needing to worry about reading in public, (this is in reference to something a character said in the book!)
This was such a lovely Christmassy read. York, and especially Taylor's the bookshop is such a perfect setting to get lost in the build up to Christmas, new beginnings and a bit of romance with Jane Austen dancing thrown in! The mix of characters is great and gives you a real sense of the community cheering Megan and Xander on. Definitely one to warm you up this winter.
I really loved this festive book from Rachel Burton. The bookshop really evoked that frosted-window, festive feeling and the romance was spot-on.
Books, a dachshund and only one bed - what more could you want in a book?! Another great read by Rachel Burton.
Lovely feel good book to read. It was a joy to read. Lovely characters. Great plot. The book was charming. Very well written. I’d definitely recommend this book. Idyllic location that set the tone of the book to perfection. Perfect seasonal book to get you in the mood for the festive season.
This was such a great Christmas romance! I love reading Christmas books all year long and it was just what I needed for Christmas in July! Highly recommend!
Megan grew up in this bookshop.  When her husband died, she moved back home.  Now she helps her mother in the bookshop.
Aria and Net Galley let me read this book for review (thank you).  It has been published and you can get a copy now.

Megan is grocery shopping when someone runs into the back of her legs with their cart.  He's quite rude and she doesn't like him.  Then she finds out he's the author they are promoting.

They try to be polite and manage to sell several books.  He asks her to go out to coffee with him and she does.  That is when they find out they both had lost people they loved.

They are getting along well until an article comes out in the paper about a female author.  Unfortunately he thinks she let the secret out but she didn't.  (He wrote those romances with his mother.)

Will they get back together again or is the end of this romance?
This was such a delightful, engaging and heartwarming story! I couldn’t help but be pulled into both the story and the characters lives. There was a slow burn romance, a bookshop and wonderful characters. What more could I want?!

The whole story captured my attention along with a hint of emotion that was woven into the storyline. Mentions of historical romance books ended up being the icing on the cake for me.

A truly gorgeous and heartfelt story.
Without doubt, this was the best festive read I had this year (so far). I loved mostly everything about it. From writing style to plot and, as cherry on top of the cake, characterisation.

However, what I adored was the slow burning romance.
It was done so well that I can't find one thing that would make it better. Pitch perfect, if you ask me!

I also enjoyed festive theme and how our MC organized events for her book club, and it made me want to host a festive gathering for my girlfriends (which didn't happen because sadly I don't have a group of girlfriends who hang out with each otherother).

I felt bad for the young guy (who's name I obviously forgot because I am terrible with names) who worked in the bookstore and I couldn't believe how many times he was brushed off.

I know this sentence is starting to be cliche, but this was really like a Hallmark movie.

It has a nice cover, but in my opinion it was misleading little, as this is a romance book and I am afraid readers who would enjoy it will skip it because they won't know the angst it contains.
I wish it had a nice couple in the snow, with the dog and bookstore in the background, but who am I to suggest those things, right?

Overall, a nice slow burning romance for book lovers.

P.S. it was sooo nice to read about books I am familiar with, like One Day in December and The Devil in Winter.
Did I mention this book is for book/romance lovers??
A little late reviewing. But have a hot chocolate ready or even a glass of wine in summer. Mix that with a love of books, snowstorm and a stranger arriving - q romance (maybe!) and that makes for a lovely warm hearted read.
A Brilliant festive read
Hot chocolate roaring fire and this book is all you need
This book will draw you in and you’ll not want it to end
Thanks NetGalley
A Bookshop Christmas is the story of Megan, a widow, letting go of the past and learning to live again. Since the death of her husband Joe, she has returned to the safety of the bookshop and flat above it where she grew up. She has closed herself off to the world, apart from a few friends and The Die-Hard Romance Book Club which meets at the bookshop.

The bookshop is not doing so well, and in a bid to increase sales, Megan organises a high profile author visit - Xander Stone. Enter Mr tall dark and moody; and the reason he is moody is that Xander has his own issues to overcome.

I found the story a tad slow; it did not immediately grab my attention. Preparations for the Regency themed Christmas party had some comic value, as did the characters Trixie Hendricks and Philomena Bloom. However, I wasn’t convinced by the romance between Megan and Xander, nor the reuniting of Megan’s parents. My favourite parts are the book club meetings where the characters make their own recommendations – and naturally I’ve added two of these to my own TBR list!
This is one of those books that I’m going to want to read probably every year during christmas. I found it through NetGalley and ended up falling in love with the cover. I am a sucker for these type of covers especially when there is a pup on the cover. I loved the story and the writing. I love when an author gives more life to a character by adding things like their favorite songs or books they loved. A few were mentioned in here since there was a book club that they had and that makes me love the story even more it just makes it seem more real and gives them more depth even though its a fictional story. I had so much fun reading this book and can’t wait to dive more into this authors writing.
A light hearted romance which would be a great easy read at any time of year. Well written with characters which were likeable and relatable, really enjoyed it and would recommend
Thank you to Netgalley, Aria and Aries and Rachel Burton for letting me read this book in exchange for an honest review