Cover Image: The Ice Duchess

The Ice Duchess

It’s no surprise to me that I absolutely adored this prequel novella preceding a new series by Tracy Sumner. Sumner’s League of Lords series is one of my favorites that I’ve read in a long time and I tore through the series recently. I’m also a sucker for a holiday romance, though the holiday celebrations and details were minor, I did enjoy the nod. I adored both the hero and heroine in The Ice Duchess and their intoxicating and powerful connection. Sumner’s writing for the hero and heroine and their love connection was some of the best I’ve read. The passionate descriptions of their feelings for each other were exhilarating and beautiful. I’m very much looking forward to reading the first installment of this series as well as anything from Sumner.

This is the prequel in a new series from Tracy Sumner called The Duchess Society.  I actually read this prequel directly after reading The Brazen Bluestocking and falling head over heels into Tracy Sumner's writing.  You can read this as a standalone, before or after.  I do not think it matters one bit.  It is a quick read at only 104 pages, but I loved it nonetheless.
This novella centers on widowed Georgiana the Countess of Winterbourne who has been nicknamed by the ton as the Ice Countess because she has stated that she will never marry again after the experience of her first marriage to a man who was cruel to her.  She crosses paths once more with her childhood friend and her late brother's best friend, Dexter Munro.  The two have a history together that was cast aside after the untimely death of Georgiana's brother.
I absolutely loved the chemistry between Georgiana and Dexter (who she calls Dex).  Dex gifts Georgiana a piece of lapis stone for Christmas and the stone is brought up again as sort of a touchpoint between them and Georgiana's feelings for Dex.  I was disappointed when it was just dropped 3/4 of the way through and never talked about again after it kept showing up repeatedly.  I was also disappointed that we never hear about what happened to Georgiana's brother and brought about his untimely demise.  It seemed like that was a big factor in the relationship between Georgiana and Dex, since they all grew up together and went on adventures as children.  I was also hoping for an actual backstory to Georgiana's marriage and what occurred to her to cause her to be this way.
I loved the pacing of this and the invisible string that was drawn between the characters during their lives.  I ended up giving this only four stars because I feel like it was rushed to completion by the author.  It seemed to me that so many details were just left out of the story that would have tied everything together and made it a more rounded experience for the reader.
Thank you to Netgalley and Bookbuzz.net for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.  All of the above opinions are of my own.
Georgiana had known Dex since they were very young.  Georgie had a crush on him, and they were always in competition with each other.  Dex is back in town and will name a wife before his father dies.  Georgie had been married to an older man when her father needed money.  That marriage was a disaster and once her husband died, she vowed never to marry.  She founded the Duchess Society to mentor young girls on how to marry but still be your own person.  Dex needs a duchess and asks Georgie to find him one.  As they spend time together, no one will suit him but Georgie.  Loved the romantic gestures Dex used to try to win Georgie over.  Great story and great characters.
The Ice Duchess by Tracy Summer is a prequel to The Duchess Society series. Georgiana was the belle during her debut and could have had anyone, but apparently for the one that held her heart. From there on the story goes tragic as her father marries her to a man old enough to be her father for money. Poor Georgie then not only had to contend with a broken heart, but a wretched marriage as well. Upon her husband’s death it’s no wonder that she boldly embraces her freedom and now has no interest in marriage and being dubbed the Ice Countess. Dexter, Marquis of Westfield, soon to be the Duke of Markham knew Georgiana as a full of life, passionate girl who as his best friend’s sister he felt he had nothing to give to. This widow he now meets at the Christmas party is a woman who seems untouchable that devotes all her time and money to ‘The Duchess Society’ to make sure that women know what's in store wit marriage.

Dexter had left Derbyshire so he could pursue his love of geology, which his sire did not approve off. He now returns due to his father's illness and impending death. Having promised that he would marry and claim a new Duchess, he now realizes that not making Georgie his wife and taking her with him was a monumental mistake. Beautifully written and fast paced, this story is one of second chances. The two characters are passionate about what matters to them and passionate about each other, yet their vulnerability is what needs overcoming. I felt a connection with the characters from the very start and the plot is well laid out and proceeds seamlessly. Another amazing read by Tracy Summer which leaves one longing to read about the remaining characters of the Duchess Society. My review was given on the ARC copy received from the Publisher via NetGalley in return for my honest opinion.
I enjoyed diving in to my first Tracy Sumner book! For anyone looking for a quick read, this story is short but very sweet and also quite steamy. It included two of my favorite tropes, childhood friends to lovers and second chance at love, which Sumner executed excellently in such a short amount of time. I think making Georgie and Dex's story longer would have really given time for them to grow and for us as readers to see that, but overall I'm glad I read this prequel and look forward to diving into Hildy's story in book #1 with the hope that Georgie and Dex will make appearances!

Thank you to the publisher via Netgalley for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.
*Thank you NetGalley for the ARC. My opinions are my own*

Rate: 3.5.
Although, I struggled connecting with the book in the first couple of chapters I enjoyed Georgie and Dex.
Childhood friends they both grew up and lived their life. Dex wanted to go out in the world and not live with the family constraints; Georgie married a much older man and was miserable. I wish more detailed  information would have been given of Georgie’s marriage. I enjoyed their communication and their decision to come together.
The Ice Duchess was an absolutely fantastic childhood friends to lovers, brother’s best friend, kind of/sort of second chance regency romance read. I loved every second of it. Once I started it, I could not put it down. Dex and Georgie are fantastic on their own but together they are magic. Their chemistry was off the charts and their witty banter was charming. Watching them get their happily ever after made my book loving heart happy. I’m giving The Ice Duchess the judy.ann.loves.books stamp of approval, TBR and Enjoy!
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own..

Georgie and Des loved each other when they were young. That was before Georgies father married her off to a cruel man old enough to be her grandfather. Her marriage has left lasting emotional scars, Dex has never forgotten his first love, and ideally he would marry her, if she would have him. But she wants nothing to do with marriage, Slowly, he works to regain her trust and her love, But is she willing to give up her independence for a chance at forever?
Having read The Brazen Bluestocking and therefore being acquainted with Dex & Georgie already, I was eager to read their story. I had high expectations of the love story that created this darling couple. I was not diasappointed. A damaged widow reunited with her first (and only) love, you know it’s going to be tumultuous. Dex’s stubborn need to always get what he wants is exactly what he needs to break down all of the walls Georgie has built around her heart. Seeing her be vulnerable with him, having loved him since childhood was beautiful and heart wrenching. A fabulous story of love lost and love found!
I was blown away by this book. The Ice Duchess was my first book by Tracy Sumner and the prequel for her new The Duchess Society series. The book is a 100 page novella and a delight from start to finish.

In this second chance romance, Dex must marry quickly to please is father, a Duke, who is dying. The only problem is that the only person he has ever wanted to marry is his childhood friend, Georgiana, who is widowed and refuses to marry again. Georgiana agrees to help Dex find a wife but the two are pining too hard for each other for that to be a success.

The pining in this book is to die for good. It’s one of the most romantic books I’ve read in a long time, which is an odd thing to say considering that 95% of what I read are romances. I just kept highlighting passages and sighing because these two dummies are just so in love with each other that it was ridiculous. At times it reminded me of Tessa Dare’s Lord Dashwood Missed Out, which is one of my all time favorite novellas, due to all the longing. Obviously I loved both Dex and Georgiana. I would have happily read a full length novel with these two.

Thank you to NetGalley and Tracy Sumner for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley.

Sometimes, the heart wants what the heart wants regardless of the mind.

The Ice Countess, Georgiana, has decided that upon the death of her husband, she will never remarry.  She could not subject herself to that life, lack of love and compassion, ever again.

Dexter Munro has returned home from his travels abroad as a geologist.  What a waste of time, the society thinks.  However, his father is dying and Dexter needs to marry and become the next Duke.  Georgiana and Dexter have been life long friends, along with her brother, who is now deceased.   Georgie, as Dexter calls her, has agreed to help him find a suitable wife and guide her to what is to be expected.  What Georgie did not anticipate was the jealousy that erupted from this endeavor.

This book was a quick read and I am already into the next book to see what happens next.
Georgiana Whitcomb (25) was once married off to a man older than her father to get her family out of debt.  Now a widow she has vowed never to marry again.  She has formed the Duchess Society to help young woman of the ton to prepare for marriage and hopefully guide them to men where everything is not just a business arrangement.  Her childhood friend, Dexter Munro is going to become the Duke of Markham and has returned to England to see to his dying father.  He challenges Georgiana to find him a bride in two weeks as a last gift to his father.  But he has no intentions of settling on anyone other than Georgina herself.

This is a low angst, steamy, second chance novella.  It is also the prequel setting up the new Duchess Society series by the author Tracy Sumner.  I won't mark it down because it is a novella, although I would have gladly read a full novel based on this characters.  Because of the novella format there isn't time to build up of attraction and explore characters.  But it gets away with it as the MC's were childhood friends, and are already familiar with each other, although they've been apart.  Can't wait for the series to continue.  Thank you to NetGalley and publishers for an ARC ebook in exchange for an honest review.
A historical romance about the Ice Duchess who swear to never marry again and Dexter who promised his fater to be we by the 12th night.
Georgiana loved Dexter since she was a child  and Dexter loved her but thing didn't work out then, can they now..
A good sweet romance with some fun and romance.
Enjoyed the story.
Voluntarily reviewed.
This book is an introduction to a new series of books about the classes the heroine teaches. Our heroine is a widow who was basically sold to her husband to pay off her father's debts. This is quite common in that day and age. Her husband was old and passed away and left her with just enough income to survive. She was allowed to live in the dower house, but is able to live in London during the season. She  decided to come up with a way for women like her to protect themselves. So she, and a few like minded ladies, are teaching young debutantes how to protect themselves before and during their marriages. It is called 'The Duchess Society' and is based on teaching the young ladies to become duchesses. But that is just so the parents sign their daughters up. Really,they are teaching the girls how to determine financial and properties in marriage settlements, how to pick a decent man over the bad and unruly ones, in addition to how to plan a dinner party. The hero is her childhood friend who has returned from geological surveys. He has returned because his father, a duke, is on his death bed.  The hero promised his father to be engaged within two weeks, but he only wants the heroine. But the heroine doesnt want to re-marry. So he asks for help to choose from within her students.
This is a story based around the Christmas holiday. It is a story the deals with the lack of freedom wives have at that time. The heroine was lucky enough to be independent after her husband died, but not all women were so lucky. The story is enjoyable and a smooth, easy read. The story is well written and the characters are engaging and entertaining. This story hits all the high points a story should and I give it my recommendation to read with 5 stars.
Loved this book! I really enjoyed the characters and the story line! This book kept me entertained and I read it in a couple days!!! I highly recommend this book!!! Thank you so much for letting me review this book!
This was an entertaining, well written historical romance. It captured my interest and I didn't want to put it down. It was sweet, steamy and clever. This book can be read as a standalone story, though it is the first in The Duchess Society series. I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next book in this series as well as other books by this author.
Georgiana Whitcomb, Countess Winterbourne, is known as the Ice Countess for her rebellious ways and refusal to marry again. But a scandalous Christmas wager fashioned by Georgiana’s childhood obsession changes everything.The demanding duke needs a bride.Dexter Munro, mere days from becoming the Duke of Markham, made a promise to his dying father to find a wife by the Twelfth Night. When I started reading I couldn't put it down.Tracy Sumner is magnifysent and amazing writer.I cannot wait to read more of there books.Keep up the great work.You should definitely read this books.Can't wait for the next book.
Second chance historical romance! This was cute. It’s also different from other historical fiction books, because Dex was aware that Georgina wanted him which definitely put a different twist.
A good book to read which had everything. The main characters were intriguing and different to the normal man and woman hero's. There was a good storyline and l do recommend that you read this book. I will be looking out for more books by this author.
This is my first read from this author.  I had to read a bit before I became immersed in the book.  This is a fairly short story and therefore it's low-angst and doesn't have an elaborate plot.  I actually found this to be a refreshing change from my usual HR reads.
Georgiana and Dex knew each other when they were children.  They were linked in friendship via Georgiana's brother who is now deceased.  The amazing thing is that the actual death does not play into the story at all! Neither character was agonized with guilt feeling like they were responsible. I don't believe the cause of the brother's death was even disclosed.  The story instead focuses on the fact that the relationship dynamic changed after the brother was gone.  The characters had years of separation afterwards and were then reunited.
The only actual obstacle to the inevitable HEA is the widowed Georgiana's hesitance to remarry.  Considering that    Georgiana and Dex had always loved each other, reading this romance is smooth sailing to a satisfying end.  Definitely a feel-good story.