Cover Image: Miss Moriarty, I Presume?

Miss Moriarty, I Presume?

The Lady Sherlock Series is right there with the Veronica Speedwell Mysteries. Sherry Thomas keeps getting better as the characters grow and the reader gets to know Charlotte Holmes. It is truly wonderful to see how the author pulls from the Sherlockian stories, but makes them completely new and her own.
With every book in this series, the characters become more developed and more interesting.it’s a pleasure to join them; this plot was particularly interesting, bringing out more about Moriarty and his associates.
This is the sixth novel in the Lady Sherlock series. This novel focuses more on romance than the actual mystery. Still, it was nice to revisit some of my favorite characters! I like that Miss Moriarty finally makes an appearance! I recommend this novel for Sherlock Holmes fans!
I love Charlotte and Mrs. Watson and am always glad for Olivia and Lord Ingram to be involved.   This was a nice comfort read that finally let us meet the Moriarty.
What a trip! This is another fantastic installment in the Lady Sherlock series and I could NOT put this down when I started it. The adventure, the intrigue. The connections between previous books. I'm very curious to see what happens next.
This is another winner in Sherry Thomas's Lady Sherlock Series. The mystery kept me involved and I continue to care about all of the characters. I cannot wait for the next installment of the series. Every time I read another of Ms. Thomas's Lady Sherlock books, my only complaint is that I will have to wait for the next book. Five stars
The Lady Sherlock books are much fun, if a bit preposterous. Charlotte Holmes, the peculiar genius, purports to be the sister of the famous detective. Her sisters, her assistant Mrs. Watson, and her lover Lord Ingram form an appealing ensemble in solving puzzling cases.

I haven't read all the miss Holmes books, and that makes it difficult to follow all the twist and turns. There is no "new" mystery here, just a continuum of the recurring story. This book started with a fated meeting with the diabolical Moriarty who is assuming another identity.

The relationship between the characters is fraught with history: former wives, siblings, illegitimate family members -- all tie Charlotte and Ingram to Moriarty. This time around he asks Charlotte to check up on his estranged daughter, who is secluded at a religious estate and hasn't been heard from.

This delivers the action and plot twists that make the series appealing. Thanks to the publisher and to Net Galley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC.

Sherry Thomas has delivered another satisfying installment of her Lady Sherlock series with MISS MORIARTY, I PRESUME?.  This time, Charlotte meets Moriarty face-to-face when he hires her to ascertain the wellbeing of his daughter.  The Sherlock team (Charlotte, Mrs. Watson, Lord Ingram, and their circle) are understandably concerned that they have fallen so directly under Moriarty's gaze.  With no other choice, they accept the commission and head off to a remote Cornish village and the pagan community nearby.

There were fewer surprises in this book than in previous.  The plot also dragged just a bit, so it was not my favorite in the series.  But watching Ash and Charlotte become more comfortable with their feelings for each other is always going to be good fun.  I just really really hope that Mrs. Watson's worries about their relationship are not a foreshadowing of a non-HEA for them.

If you're a Lady Sherlock fan, definitely make sure to read and enjoy MISS MORIARTY.
I have devoured each and every one of the Charlotte Holmes books and this was no exception.  I was anxious to see where Charlotte was heading next and I thoroughly enjoyed this adventure with Livia, Mrs. Watson and Lord Ingram.  Moriarty and his daughter provide a welcome foil for Charlotte and an interesting plot twist leaves me anxious for more.  Definitely my favorite Holmes portrayal outside of the original!
Miss Moriarty, I Presume by Sherry Thomas is a 2021 Berkley publication.

Holmes has been retained by the most unlikely client of all- Moriarty himself- under the guise of a 'Mr. Baxter'. Why on earth would he approach Holmes for help?

Well, it would appear his daughter has joined a Pagan religious group, but she has not been seen by his spies in some months. Worried that something bad may have happened, Moriarty requests Holmes investigate matters on his behalf.

Charlotte agrees to take the case, though not really sure what Mr. Baxter's true motives might be,traveling with Mrs. Watson to a remote location only to discover that Miss Baxter is perhaps as cunning as her father, and that she, Charlotte, has been snared in Moriarity's well executed trap...

Nearly every time I read a book in this series, it makes me want to dig into the original Sherlock Holmes stories- some of which I’m quite familiar with, and others only vaguely so. This story ‘borrows’, if you will, from one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's more famous stories, but I'm getting ahead of myself..

This is a great addition to the series! I love me some Victorian Cornwall settings! The atmosphere here is off the charts, but there were some rich, erotic, and humorous tones as the romance between Holmes and Lord Ingram heats up.

Olivia is busy looking for a secret message she is sure Mr. Marbleton is trying to send her. Of all the characters in the series, Olivia’s has struggled to find her niche, and is sometimes all over the place, but her star shone especially bright in this episode.

But, back to the 'original problem'- which I'll leave for you decipher-

Thomas has done a fabulous job with the role reversal in this series, and this book is no exception. The feminist spin is exceedingly well done here. Loved it!

4+ stars
Miss Moriarty, I Presume is the 6th book in the Lady Sherlock series. Charlotte Holmes and company are trying to come to grips with the events that happened at the end of the previous book. When they get an unexpected client show up at the door, it turns out to be none other than Moriarty himself. They take the case because saying no would be even more dangerous than saying yes. Now the gang is responsible for keeping tabs on Moriarty's daughter at a remote retreat.
I love the characters growth over the course of these novels. I am really looking forward to seeing how the relationships in this book play out.
Stevie‘s review of Miss Moriarty, I Presume? (Lady Sherlock, Book 6) by Sherry Thomas
Historical Mystery published by Berkley 02 Nov 21

Charlotte Holmes has crossed paths with arch-crimelord Moriarty several times so far, but this time he needs her help. Moriarty’s daughter has joined the Victorian version of a New Age community. His people have been keeping watch over her, but the past few reports have not featured any actual sightings. So Charlotte and her companions are dispatched to Cornwall to infiltrate the castellated walls around a former tourist resort to find out the truth.

All the fun elements of previous stories are here: Charlotte’s love of cakes, fouffy dresses, and home-made novelty hot-water bottle covers; Lord Ingram’s love for Charlotte and his children; the continuing developments in the lives of Charlotte’s two unmarried sisters; Mrs Watson’s sharp business instincts. We also get to see more marvels of Victorian technology, such as the Maxim machine gun and a Stanhope photographic viewer in the shape of a pen. Nor are major historical events neglected, with some clues being closely linked to Queen Victoria’s Jubilee.

Back to the main mystery, Charlotte and company arrive in a sleepy Cornish village and are greeted by new allies, who are ostensibly working for Moriarty, but with a healthy dose of affection for his daughter. Charlotte, Mrs Watson, and Lord Ingram take up residence in the community where Miss Moriarty has been living and encounter a varied collection of eccentrics, all of whom know Miss Moriarty well, although none have seen her recently. Also suspiciously unseen is the man who had been living in a cottage close to Miss Moriarty’s but who has now moved to a remoter cottage and become a hermit.

Charlotte makes various attempts to spot her quarry – as do others from outside the community – but to no avail, even though the community’s founders insist nothing unusual is going on. Meanwhile, there are other mysteries to investigate connected to Charlotte’s half-brother and to the man her sister is in love with, amongst others. These investigations come with more puzzling clues for the sisters to unravel together and separately, and we get to see more of the workings of the everyday lives of well-off Victorian ladies. Nor is Charlotte’s evolving romance with Lord Ingram neglected. She behaves most shamelessly at times, much to his discombobulation, and he does a fair bit to encourage her as well.

I did eventually figure out which Sherlock Holmes story we were riffing off, and it was fun to see how the story interpreted the major themes of that one as well. I’m glad to report that the novel didn’t end on as big a cliffhanger as I feared, but left enough loose ends for the next stories to pick up on easily. I’m certainly looking forward to those.

Grade: A
Sherlock Holmes’s sister Charlotte is a consummate detective. Clients flock to her door (or rather her sitting room, conveniently situated next to her fictionally ailing brother’s bedroom—the easier to “consult” with him). But who would anticipate that Moriarty, her sworn enemy, would turn to her in his hour of need? Moriarty has a tortured, tenuous relationship with his daughter. She has lived apart from him for years. Ever the control freak, Moriarty employed watchers to oversee Miss Moriarty’s activities. In recent months, the watchers have not set eyes on her and Moriarty is afraid that something dreadful has happened to his daughter. Can Charlotte Holmes unravel this mystery? Does she have a choice? Moriarty’s request has a domino effect on the members of Charlotte’s close-knit team.

Consider Livia, Charlotte’s younger sister. Her personal life, like Charlotte’s, has evolved in tandem with her detective work. Mr. Mears, Mrs. Watson’s butler (Mrs. Watson is Charlotte’s right-hand woman) shares some distressing news with Livia when she arrives on her sister’s doorstep: the reason Charlotte and Mrs. Watson are not home is that they are meeting with a representative of Moriarty. This news has Livia fearful for Mr. Marbleton, her peripatetic and elusive beau, because Marbleton has an inexplicably convoluted relationship with Moriarty.

An entire doomsday unfolded in her mind, dark visions of Charlotte and Mrs. Watson, and perhaps even Lord Ingram, in some rank, horrible dungeon on the Continent. Would they find Mr. Marbleton already there, Mr. Marbleton who could no longer outrun Moriarty?

Several times she nearly turned around to flee. But somehow, though her knees bucked with every step, she kept moving forward, Mr. Mear’s words echoing in her ear.

You might be too late.

You might be too late.

She did not want to be too late.

Courage is not in short supply amongst the men and women dedicated to thwarting Moriarty’s evil schemes. Lord Ingram brings a miniature Maxim gun with him when he returns to London from the country. He’s not bringing a knife to a gunfight. Moriarty tells Charlotte that after her grandmother’s death, his daughter joined a group of Hermetists who formed a community in Cornwall.

Charlotte had no choice but to look up in surprise. “By Hermetists, you mean those who follow the teachings of Hermes Trismegistus, as found in the Corpus Hermeticum?”

“Correct. It is difficult for me to acknowledge that I have a daughter who is an occultist, but there it is.”

To Charlotte, the occult was but a religion that had yet to muster an army and anoint a king. But she nodded sympathetically before resuming her shorthand note-taking.

“I was . . . vexed. The next time I met with her, I expressed that vexation. She replied that she was both of age and no longer dependent on my support. Therefore she was free to follow the dictates of her own will. And if it pleased her to live among occultists, for a while or forever, then that was what she would do.”

Moriarty is up against a foe who is as stubborn and unyielding as himself. It’s fortunate he can’t read Charlotte’s mind: she is not as in awe of the occult as he seems to be. But what did his daughter do to prevent herself from being swept back into the family fold? The saga of the one that got away continues.

“Very well, I threatened to burn the commune to the ground and she came home with me. But in the fifteen months that followed, she became engaged to no fewer than six unsuitable men—and I assure you, Miss Holmes, hers had not been an existence into which unsuitable men were granted entrée willy-nilly.”

How brilliant of a daughter kept against her will. After this description of the father-daughter relationship, Charlotte is under no illusion that it will be an easy task to uncover Miss Moriarty’s whereabouts. Off she and Mrs. Watson go to Cornwall. One of the members of the commune tells Charlotte that their “community is one for quiet contemplation, rather than vigorous interaction,” but Charlotte is not deterred by that implicit warning. The Garden, as the commune refers to itself, doesn’t take advantage of the magnificent views of “sea and moorland”—it’s walled off from the world.

But the walls were there, a greater darkness in all directions, and they made the place, with its increasingly fierce crosscurrents of wind, feel airless.

At its core, Miss Moriarty, I Presume? is the story of a daughter’s fierce determination to set her own course—something Charlotte understands well. Miss Moriarty’s opponents are equally determined and ruthless. Charlotte and Mrs. Watson put themselves in peril to uncover the truth. Charlotte in particular takes ungodly chances, all to find justice for her clients, and to protect the hard-won happiness of her inner circle. Speaking of happiness, Charlotte and Lord Ingram carve out time for themselves, in the most delicious of ways, with props like a “frou-frou suspender,” and “very pink silk stockings.”

Charlotte gazed at sunlit pastures and gleaming farmhouse windows and thought of Livia, who yearned ever for warmth and light.

Livia.

Mr. Marbleton.

Mr. Finch.

I am a queen upon this board, Charlotte had once told Lord Ingram, and I do not play to lose.

Sherry Thomas has created a complicated, interlocking world in her The Lady Sherlock Series.  Miss Moriarty, I Presume? is a complex story, full of twists and unexpected turns. Settle in for a delightful read, full of red herrings and memorable set pieces and above all, let the talented Sherry Thomas dazzle you as she performs literary sleights of hand at every turn. Brava!
I loved this one! It continues the saga beautifully and ends with one hell of a conundrum, while weaving the old Sherlock story in in unexpected ways. This one kept me gripped way more than 4 but the relationship parts were less interesting than 5. I’ve noticed the odd books tend to be more “shippy” and character driven and the even ones are more plot-based so there’s something for everyone!
Charlotte Holmes remains an enigma whose adventures and friendships lead readers on a merry chase following her on her cases. The liberties Ms Thomas takes with Sir Arthur Doyle's stories are balanced by the sheer magnitude of her characters' personalities and the lives that play out before us.
A brilliant addition to the series and I look forward to reading more from this series.
Charlotte Holmes has an unexpected client, Moriarty.  He is estranged from his daughter who has been living in a reclusive, occult community on the coast.  He fears she has disappeared and hires Charlotte to find out what has happened to her.  Charlotte and Mrs. Holmes travel undercover to the community and find that all may not be as it seems.  Charlotte’s friend Lord Ingram shows up to lend a hand.  In the meantime, Charlotte’s sister Livia, has had a mysterious message from her admirer, Mr. Marbleton.  Could he be in danger?
#NetGalley
The series has built to this moment- a face to face between Charlotte Holmes and Moriarity. Charlotte the brain behind the Sherlock Holmes persona has met her match and feels the danger of playing real life chess with such an opponent. Love this series and could not wait to dive into the pages of this tension-wrought latest installment.

Miss Moriarity, I Presume is book six in a must-read-in-order series.

After the dangers of the previous Christmas, Charlotte has relaxed and enjoyed a budding, tentative relationship with Ash and worked on a few satisfying cases with Mrs. Watson. But, then the request for a meeting comes and Charlotte is face to face than her archenemy Moriarity, himself. He presents her with a new case that she can’t refuse and she knows full well there is something about the case that is a trap. There are also elements about the case that puzzle her because they fit in with past ties. Mrs. Watson is terrified and Ash is determined to be part of the investigation no matter the consequences. Meanwhile, Olivia Holmes pursues her own clues to discover what the lost Mr. Marbleton was trying to tell them just before he was sucked into the Moriarity criminal organization. Can he have left them something that will change the game and give them the upper hand of Moriarity?

I don’t know why I am still surprised at just how much each new book in the series sucks me in and leaves me both sated and in need of more. Some aspects are easy to see the solution, but I do love the clever twists and the way seeming innocuous clues end up having great meaning later on. Much of this book was getting the background on the current case regarding Miss Baxter and pursuing what clue Mr. Marbleton was trying to leave them before his departure. It was also the first real skirmish between Charlotte and Moriarity and that was set up and handled so well that I was holding my breath a few times.

There is also a bit of progress on the romantic relationship, but I thought it was interesting that as Mrs. Watson points out, they are not an easy couple and will always have to work at a compromise since they are so very different in needs and outlook.

A danger-frought climax occurred and the denouement set up things for what will come next. It looks like things are going to get more intense than ever and there are new players in the game with higher stakes.

All in all, this was abso-fab historical mystery reading with a brilliant woman detective at the center of it all. Those who haven’t started this series really must.
A really nice twist on the Final solution plot. Some twists were easy to see coming, others a little less. I liked how this new title in the series dove head first into the technological, scientific sides of the Holmes mystique.

Overall a really good addition and somehow a happy ending.
The 6th volume in the Lady Sherlock series does not disappoint.  Charlotte Holmes, Mrs. Watson, and Lord Ingram are locked in a subtle (and sometimes, not so subtle) battle with Moriarty.  After he comes back from the events of the last book, he (as Mr. Baxter) employs them to investigate the Garden of Hermopolis where his estranged daughter makes her home.   I loved the inclusion of Miss Baxter and how she tied into the overarching mystery surrounding the series.  I also enjoyed how Mr. Marbleton was involved and the general code-breaking involved.  I always cheer for Livia when she escapes her parents and contributes to the solving of the mystery.

The characters remain interesting, flawed, and relatable.  The setting is interesting and you can see it as you read Ms. Thomas's description.  Another great read - and I can't wait for the next one!
I have been a fan of this series since the first book, even though byzantine plots sometimes confuse me. This book, the sixth in the series, features the highly anticipated meeting, at last, between Charlotte Holmes and notorious baddie Moriarty.

There’s a lot going on in this book; I’ll try to summarize as best I can.

Charlotte and part of her Scooby squad (her lover Lord Ingram and her friend and mentor Mrs. Watson) have been aware of surveillance on 18 Baker Street by Moriarty’s underlings, and in fact have been considering whether they should bolt now that they know they are under his scrutiny. Before they know it, there’s a visit from a representative of Moriarty’s, and then a visit from the man himself, wanting (ostensibly) the aid of the brilliant Sherlock Holmes.

Charlotte greets Moriarty, going by the name Baxter and accompanied by a familiar face, though Charlotte does not acknowledge that she recognizes him. Mr. Stephen Marbleton is Moriarty’s son; he had long been on the run from his father along with the rest of his family. For some reason he has been forced to go to Moriarty and now he is clearly his prisoner.

“Mr. Baxter” tells Charlotte a long story about his daughter by his first wife, who has been living with Hermeticists  at a retreat in Cornwall. Moriarty has kept tabs on her, with her reluctant consent, during her time there, but lately he has come to suspect that something is wrong. He wants to dispatch Charlotte Holmes to investigate.

Charlotte is disquieted – even shaken – by the encounter with Moriarty, who seems to have a mesmeric power in person. I felt oddly disappointed to see the usually unflappable Charlotte, well, flapped.

I’m sure it was meant to convey Moriarty’s power, but it’s taken me a while to come to terms with Charlotte as a central protagonist. Seemingly on the autism spectrum, Charlotte’s detachment has made her an interesting heroine but also one who can be difficult to relate to, because she doesn’t act and react in familiar ways. But by now, I find that I have some ambivalence about a Charlotte who fears Moriarty, or even one whose view of the world has opened up due to her attachments to Lord Ingram, Mrs. Watson, and others. I am interested to see how she continues to develop, but I do have some affection for the “old” Charlotte.

Having no real choice but to bend to Moriarty’s wishes, Charlotte and Mrs. Watson head for the Garden of Hermopolis. Lord Ingram is following behind shortly, but first takes a trip with Livia, Charlotte’s sister. Livia’s fledging romance with Stephen Marbleton was cut short when he went back underground in the previous book. Now Lord Ingram and Livia try to trace Marbleton’s recent movements, based on a train ticket stub that he dropped on the carpet during his visit to Charlotte with Moriarty.

At the Garden of Hermopolis, Charlotte and Mrs. Watson find the denizens suspicious and unwelcoming, which is not surprising, since the two are there as representatives of Moriarty. They’ve been told by a housekeeper in Moriarty’s pay that Miss Baxter* has been mysteriously absent recently, and was apparently ill in her appearances before that. Given that the residents of the place are coy about arranging for a meeting between Miss Baxter and Charlotte, it’s not unreasonable that she and Mrs. Watson start to wonder if Miss Baxter has been done away with.

*I’m confusing *myself* switching between Baxter and Moriarty, so for the rest of this I’m just going to call Moriarty Moriarty, Miss Baxter Miss Baxter (she’s only referred to as Miss Moriarty twice in the book, title notwithstanding), and Stephen Marbleton as Stephen Marbleton rather than “Mr. Baxter.”

An incident of fireworks set off at the Garden confuses things further. The back of Miss Baxter’s house is set alight, but even then the Hermeticists seem reluctant to bring her out in the open, furthering Charlotte’s suspicions. Later that same evening, Charlotte is able sneak into the house of the compound’s doctor, where she encounters another mysterious intruder (whose identity I did figure out before it was revealed! Yay for me!).

Back in London, Livia continues to try to find information on the meaning of the ticket stub; she encounters Stephen with two minders at the British Museum’s Reading Room, where he leaves another clue for her to follow. Livia continues to come into her own in this series, going from someone totally cowed by her parents and suffering extremely low self-esteem to someone who has written and published a book of Sherlock Holmes adventures and is a vital part of Charlotte’s team.

In retrospect, there were clues to the central mystery of Miss Baxter’s elusiveness; I wonder if other readers guessed. I didn’t! But I think one of the things about these books is that there is so much going on that I’m too distracted to even make many guesses or connections. I just read on, waiting for someone to explain to me what happened in the end. That’s not really a drawback for me as a reader, since I don’t read a lot of mysteries and don’t necessarily read with the goal of solving the case before the end.

Charlotte and Lord Ingram’s relationship continues to progress – he appears to be better reconciled to the idea that they aren’t going to end up in some sort of traditional Victorian marriage (which, considering how awful his marriage was, really probably isn’t a bad thing).

For some reason, Miss Moriarty, I Presume didn’t hold my attention quite as strongly as some of the previous books in the series have; it took me a long time to finish. That may be in part because

Spoiler: Show

The story does get good mileage out of the central question, “is Moriarty for real here or is this whole thing a set up?” I was surprised at the degree to which Charlotte seemed to believe that he honestly wanted her help with his daughter. On the one hand, since Charlotte believed it I was inclined to as well, but on the other hand, I didn’t think she necessarily SHOULD believe it. The reality ended up being somewhat more complicated, and that made sense, but I was still convinced that Charlotte’s lack of skepticism wasn’t really justified.

I didn’t get a great sense of Moriarty as a character; I know he’s very smart and very dastardly and very scary, but I don’t quite *feel* it as a reader, at least not yet.

Miss Moriarty, I Presume was a solid entry into the series, and I’m giving it a solid B.