Cover Image: Gilded

Gilded

The sample is okay. I like the setting and how easy it is to read. But Serilda doesn't strike me as a memorable character. The dialogue isn't very witty and fun, like the Lunar books. And the whole thing just feels a bit empty and lacking substance. I think if I read the whole thing I'd easily forget about it.
Can't wait for full publishing! I like the add ons to the ruplstikskin fantasy. I find this pretty good for ages 9-11.
I really enjoyed this extended preview of Marissa Meyer's Guilded. I look forward to reading the rest.
OMG I cannot wait to read the rest of this book! Thanks Netgalley for the exclusive sneak peek! I already love how rich the world is with magic and how quickly the story starts taking place while world building continues throughout the plot. This is a very fast paced read with lots of action and magic. I'm dying for this book to be released!
I'm not entirely sure what I expected. I absolutely loved Renegades but the Lunar Chronicles was kind of a miss for me so going in I was hoping it would be another renegade for me. And if she didn't know my weakness.....the wild hunt. There's just always something so captivating about it and of course this one sucked me in. Another thing that sucks me into stories is stories within stories and again right off the bat! So I'm excited for my copy to come in and see where this will go
Thanks to NetGalley and BookishFirst for the extended SAMPLER of the first 10 chapters to read of this book. I wish my review were of the entire book, but sadly, that wasn't available, as I was REALLY looking forward to reading more of this retelling of Rumpelstiltskin since the last few chapters in the sampler really drew me in.

I used to LOVE reading The Grimm Brothers' Fairy Tales when I was growing up. This book reminds me of those classics and I can't wait to read more! At first, I thought maybe the creatures mentioned were created by the author, but then I started looking them up and learned they are all from German folktales and mythology, so I am even MORE interested in reading this book, as I took German in high school and my ancestors are from Germany. The descriptive scenery, the detailed story and the creative characters all create an immersive reading experience!
From these couple of chapters I am whole heartedly hooked. Marissa meyer really knows how to draw in interest. And I love that this is a retelling about rumplestiltskin. I can't wait for this to come out. I've already pre ordered this one.
This is just a preview but oh my god!!! another gem from marissa meyer. This book is beautiful written and so gripping. So excited for release date.
First I want to say thank you to Macmillan and NetGalley for the ARC - Extended Chapter Sampler.

I absolutely love retellings of pretty much any kind, also why I’m a huge fan of Marissa Meyer, but absolutely LOVE that this is about a lesser told folk/fairy tale, Rumpelstiltskin. I read this story a ton when I was a kid, and love reading a redone version of it now as an adult. I’m already hooked after 10 chapters! I can't wait to read the full book of this!
I enjoyed this book. It was slow to start for me, but that’s just how I read sometimes. This story captured my heart and I’m excited to read it again.
Marissa Meyer, how do you get me so wrapped up in your books with only a few chapters? I have read all of Marissa Meyers other book and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I have a feeling Gilded will be no different. Gilded is a retelling of Rumplestiltskinm which has honestly never been a favorite fairy tale of mine, but now I want to dive into because of these first few chapters.
She has a great way of fleshing out her characters and her protagonist, Serilda is a young woman who is a talented liar and teller of tales. She lives in a small town but wants more, so uses her imagination to entertain herself and others, until its finally to her detriment. While I only had a short sample. I dearly want to read more. I can see how there is so much history and lore of this universe to flesh out and I cant wait to read about it.
Gilded by Marissa Meyer has been on my radar for quite some time. I genuinely wasn't sure if I would like or dislike this book, so I was thankful for a First Look excerpt. I could not put it down and simply devoured it. It is so freaking good! I can't wait to read more!
Meyer is the queen of fairytale retellings. Her unique takes on the characters and histories are intriguing, magical and always vibrant. Weaving a captivating tale of curses and The Wild Hunt, the Alder King and hellhounds, frightened moss maidens and mischievous poltergeists this tale is as enchanting as it is haunting. Full of ancient myths and magical beasts it’s growing harder to hold back my excitement!! Gilded is easily my most anticipated novel of the year!
I received an excerpt of this and it was.... okay.

I found the themes redundant and slow and it just didn't give me enough to want to keep going. I enjoyed her previous books, but I just don't think I will continue with this series.

Thank you Netgalley for providing an early excerpt.
I obtained a preview of the first 10 chapters through NetGalley.

I asked to read this sample because I love Marissa Meyer's take on fairy tales in her Lunar Chronicles series. She is a wonderful writer, but this story, so far wasn't as enjoyable for me. The main character, Serilda, is so perfect, sweet, and kind, that I wasn't pulled into the world. One thing I loved about Cinder was her talent for robotics. It made her so interesting and fun. And I loved the scifi take on a fairy tale. Serilda's talent is for storytelling. But at the beginning of the story, it seems kind of ordinary. And the setting is pure fairy tale.

I will definitely continue, because I trust Marissa Meyer to spin a gorgeous tale, but wish the opening was more unique.
"I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."
Oh my goodness. I loved this peak into Gilded and I can't wait to get my hands on the full book, which of course I have pre-ordered!
Marissa Meyer has been one of my favorite authors for years, so I’m so excited for the release of Gilded in November. In comparison to her other books, I gathered from this sample that the overall vibe of the novel will be closer to that of Heartless than The Lunar Chronicles or Renegades.
I typically review with pros and cons, but again, this is a ten chapter sampler. Most of what I read consisted of exposition and the basic foundation of the plot. I’m excited to see the direction Meyer takes with this Rumpelstiltskin retelling.
The main thing to judge from these chapters was the main character, Serilda. While I didn’t love her (which is normal for me to not get attached super early on), I think she has the potential to grow into an interesting main character. I’m also intrigued about learning more of her background.
November can't come soon enough! I'll wait in anticipation until the journey continues!
Thank you so much to Macmillan Children's Publishing and NetGalley for an exclusive sampler of this book in exchange for an honest review. As always, all opinions are entirely my own. I am a huge fan of Marissa Meyer and her books! I am so excited about the release of this book! I have loved what I have read so far and have a feeling I am going to enjoy this one when I read the finished copy!
A great first taste of what is sure to be a captivating Rumpelstiltskin retelling. The main character is both endearingly odd and strangely likable liar. This new twist on this classic fairytale already has me hooked. I can’t wait to read the rest of the story and see how this version of the tale ends! Thanks to NetGalley and the published for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely love fairytale retellings and this one did not disappoint! I loved Naomi Noviks Spinning Silver & Uprooted and this one had all the same charm! Marissa Meyer is a fantastic writer. The main character, Serilda, is a talented story teller as well, but it gets her into a whole lot of trouble! The Erlking demands she spin straw into gold and she ends up summoning a boy by magic. We will see if he helps her, but based on the rumpelstiltskin I’m used to, it won’t be for free! I’m already hooked on the ARC sample I was able to read (the first half of the book) and I can’t wait to read the rest! Highly Recommend!