Cover Image: Gilded

Gilded

A retelling of Rumpelstiltskin in which the maiden, and not the father, is a chronic liar who tells stories only children listen to and who's not trusted by anyone even when she's telling the truth? Now, this is one premise I've not seen before for this fairy tale. What an original idea!

The ten chapters of the extended sampler I got whet my appetite so much there's no way I'm going to skip the full novel! I'm used to Marissa Meyer writing steampunk-style Sci-Fi retellings, and was pretty much expecting "Gilded" to be in the same world. But I love this different setting and genre as much as the space opera she created for her other retellings. I like Serilda's unique voice, sardonic and self-deprecating yet honest, her humorous dissing of the schoolteacher behind her back, the spooky and sometimes silly stories she tells, the dark fairytale atmosphere... All of it, and especially, I find the Erlking intriguing, what little is shown of his interactions with Serilda are promising, as the chemistry is too evident to ignore even with only a couple of exchanges in the sampler. This story is not one to miss, both for its plotline that's shaping up to be twisty and engrossing and the potential romance there might be.
Thankful NetGalley for this sampler!  Yay am a huge fan of Marissa Meyer and the magical worlds she create and this book is so good. Going into reading this book I knew it was a rumplestilskin retelling. And she just takes the story so much more beyond the original. It’s so deliciously haunting and I can’t wait till I can finish it with my finished copy. So looking forward to finishing this new release.
“He had made his own prison, and he had done it for her.” Omg, my heart! Meyer retells the classic Rumplestiltskin with some intriguing and magical twists that pulled me in and had me until the end. Although admittedly a slow start, once the story got moving, I was hooked trying to figure out the details and waiting for the story to unfold. The unique strands Meyer wove through the classic tale are captivating, and although I’m completely yelling “UGH!!!” that the story has to have a continuation, I will definitely be scooping it up as soon as Meyer puts out the next book. This is an adult centered fairy tale you won’t find in Disney!
Gilded is a dark amalgamation of the Rumplestiltskin fairy tale with mythology.  As enticing as the summary sounded, the actual execution of the book left something to be desired.  As with Meyer’s other books, this one weighs in at about 500 pages.  Staying motivated to continue to read was challenging, due to the slow moving plot.  The characters felt flat, which also created a sense of the book dragging.  The feel of this one is a little similar to Heartless, in that it’s darker than the Lunar Chronicles, and seems written for an audience that is older than the intended audience of the Lunar Chronicles.  Readers should also go into the book knowing that it is not a standalone, so there will not be complete resolution at the end.

In terms of the audiobook quality, I think Rebecca Soler was a great choice as narrator, since she has narrated other Marissa Meyer books in the past.  She does a fabulous job of using different intonations for each character, making the book seem as if there is a multi-person cast.

Thanks go to NetGalley and MacMillan Children’s and MacMillan Audio for the opportunity to read and listen to an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Marissa Meyer has done it again, taking yet another fairytale and spinning it into an enrapturing tale like no other. I can't wait to read the rest of this book when it comes out.
I have been counting down the days until I can get this book in my hands and this chapter sampler has made me even more excited. Can't wait to read the full story!
I was so excited to get a sneak peek at one of my most anticipated books. It did not disappoint. I loved what I've read so far, the characters and world are well developed even at the beginning. I can't wait to read more!
I can’t wait for this book to be published so I can finish the rest of the story. Meyer again takes a familiar story (this time Rumplestilksken) and adapts it to a compelling story. This sample was a great taste of what’s to come next and I have my suspicions, but I’ll have to get the full story to see if mine are correct.

All in all; a definitely fun read and one I recommend friends of fairy tale
I want to thank Net Galley for giving  me a sample of this book as an ARC. I was given the first 10 chapters.  That sounds like a lot, but it only beginning to touch the story. It is deeply plotted with dense rich characters. It is a re imagining of the fairy tale- Rumplestiltskin. It is captivating and intriguing. I look forward to reading the whole book.
Ah I want more and I can’t wait until it comes out! Beautiful writing and interesting story that I am definitely looking forward to. Excellent sneak peek sampler!  I voluntarily reviewed this after receiving a free copy.
Gilded is Marissa Meyer's re-imagining of Rumpelstiltskin. This was a chapter sampler of the first ten chapters.

"Serilda spins a tale to protect some forest folk from the Erlking. And now he holds her until she can prove her power."

The first few chapters are full of Meyer's imagination and great writing. She pulls you into the story right away. Fans of the Lunar Chronicles should enjoy this also.
I cant wait to read the entire book, I love Marissa Meyer’s writing and her characters are always my best friends. I’m so excited for this book.
I only received the extended version, but from what I read, I truly enjoyed. It was interesting from the very first page! I wanted to read more. And I absolutely love the from cover. It’s simple yet eye catching.
Once again, Marissa Meyer employs beautiful writing, well-crafted characters, and stunning worldbuilding to create an incredible story. The pacing kept me on the edge of my seat and unable to put this sampler down until I reached the end of it. I can't wait to get my hands on a final copy of the story and see how it all plays out! I already know this is going to be a new favorite of mine.
I pre-order this book at chapter four, I am is very excited. Thank you NetGalley and Marissa Meyer for this sampler! I am so excited for this series. Cannot wait to write a more in-depth review!
I have been impatiently waiting for Marissa Meyer's next retelling since I read "Heartless" and, after reading this sampler, I am counting down the days til November 2nd.
Thank you NetGalley for the extended sampler of this book! It includes 10 chapters and I was intrigued by it because of the author's previous work. I thought that it was good, but it didn't fully draw me in. I'm unsure if I will be buying the actual book because it didn't seem to be my favorite, but it got much more interesting towards the end of the preview. It did, however, remind me of an old fairytale, in terms of the writing and plot, which I really enjoyed. If you're a fan of Marissa Meyer or fairytale inspired books I recommend this one!
Marissa Meyer is queen of the retelling and in this book, she takes on Rumpelstiltskin.

Serilda is a miller's daughter who has been cursed by the God of lies. She has a talent for spinning stories. Her stories are spellbinding and untrue, or are they?

When one of her tales of spinning straw into gold, garners the attention of the sinister Erlking and his undead hunters, she finds herself having to test her story. Can she do what is asked of her?

This was a sampler for the book, and it did leave me wanting to know more. Meyer is a gift writer and the writing her is top notch. I feel as if I was given enough to tickle my fancy but this one did not grab me as quickly as Heartless did.

Fans of Meyer and retellings will most likely love this book. If I have the opportunity, I would like to read more of this story. Again, with the sneak peak, I was given just enough info to pique my curiosity.

I received a copy of this sneak peek from Macmilian Children's Publishing Group and NetGalley who provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All the thoughts and opinions are my own.
I was excited to see an Exclusive Sampler of Gilded available on NetGalley since I am a new bookstagramer who had never read any of Marissa Meyer’s books!

Gilded opens in what I would call an extreme close-up in which the reader is not given any exposition to the scene playing out whatsoever, so I was immediately drawn in by sheer curiosity of trying to situate the players in the scene. Finally, Serilda comes into focus, and she is authentic from the start: a self-admitted liar who is frank in her thoughts and feelings about the villagers around her. I think Serilda’s two-natured aspect makes her wildly human and complex: she is accused of being a liar, but she is brutally honest about how she feels about the people around her.

I think Gilded is a perfectly spooky fall read. I don’t often feel creeped out by scenes, characters, or descriptions, but Meyer had my spine-tingling when Serilda could hear the howls of the wild hunt through the distance in the dead of night. I remembered all too clearly the magical safety of your bed, so long as you stayed tucked in with your eyes closed (maybe with the blanket over your head!). I could tell the ghostly hyjinx were only getting started in the first quarter of this story, and the magic was just beginning!

I cannot wait until the release of this book on November 2nd to find out what happens to Serilda in the realm of the Erlking!

As you can see, this is a sneak peek of Marissa Meyer's latest book, Gilded. It covers the first ten chapters, with no intro, and if you're at all familiar with the fairytale, Rumpeltstiltskin, the inspiration for this book, it ends with the appearance of the Rumpelstiltskin figure and sets it up perfectly for the rest of the book. As with all of Meyer's books, the writing is well done and easy to get into, and the way this sneak peek ended was good enough to get you interested and leave you wanting more. But with the shortened length meant I didn't quite feel the atmosphere that I was expecting. That said, I enjoyed it very much and look forward to the rest of the book.

The first ten chapters focus on 18-year-old Serilda, who lives in a village with her father. Her mother died when she was young (I believe that's implied), and she is known in the village as a weaver or tales (or lies as many of the adults believe). The only ones who love her tales are the children of the village and her father. We are introduced to stories about the Erlking, who is the leader of the Wild Hunt, and we learn that he is universally feared in the area, but also that many of the adults try to dissuade her from telling her stories. My sense is that while, ghosts, sprites, and other supernatural beings do exist, most people try to consciously avoid believing in them. As I said, this sneak peek leads to Serilda being ordered to spin straw into gold and a boy showing up. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book!

I received an advance review copy from NetGalley for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.