Cover Image: Gilded

Gilded

Thank you so much to Macmillan Children's Publishing and NetGalley for an exclusive sampler of this book in exchange for an honest review. As always, all opinions are entirely my own. I am a huge fan of Marissa Meyer and her books! I am so excited about the release of this book! I have loved what I have read so far and have a feeling I am going to enjoy this one when I read the finished copy!
A great first taste of what is sure to be a captivating Rumpelstiltskin retelling. The main character is both endearingly odd and strangely likable liar. This new twist on this classic fairytale already has me hooked. I can’t wait to read the rest of the story and see how this version of the tale ends! Thanks to NetGalley and the published for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely love fairytale retellings and this one did not disappoint! I loved Naomi Noviks Spinning Silver & Uprooted and this one had all the same charm! Marissa Meyer is a fantastic writer. The main character, Serilda, is a talented story teller as well, but it gets her into a whole lot of trouble! The Erlking demands she spin straw into gold and she ends up summoning a boy by magic. We will see if he helps her, but based on the rumpelstiltskin I’m used to, it won’t be for free! I’m already hooked on the ARC sample I was able to read (the first half of the book) and I can’t wait to read the rest! Highly Recommend!

I haven't read anything by this author before, but I had a hard time getting interested in this story until Serilda is taken to the castle and put in the cell with the straw and the spinning wheel. Of course the 10 chapter sample ends at that point. I wasn't invested in the story enough to read the entire book.
I can't believe I'm saying this about a Marissa Meyer retelling, but I just wasn't into this. I'm shocked. I love the Lunar Chronicles with every fiber of my being and I really enjoyed Heartless, but these first few chapters of Gilded were just not pulling me in. I understand it's just a chapter sampler and maybe I'd feel differently once I'm plunged into the story, but I don't know, that was a good chunk of the book for me not to feel pulled in yet.
The ten chapters included in this sample were extremely interesting. I can't wait to read the whole book! So far I think the worldbuilding is really cool and I also really love Serilda--her characterization is amazing and I like reading from her perspective. Very curious about the other characters, the plot, and the romance.
This sneak peek at Gilded by Marissa Meyer is excellent.

Once again, Meyer has crafted an enticing world and intriguing plot that sucks you in heart first. Her writing is smooth, and she describes people and places without detracting or hindering the plot.

Serilda has been cursed by a god to tell lies which she pours forth in the form of tantalizing stories about the Erlking and the wild hunt. One night, in the light of the new moon, her lies save two creatures from death at the hands of the Erlking, and in the process, starts a perilous journey more frightening than any of her stories.

Gilded seems to be a fresh and exciting take on the lore of Rumpelstiltskin and I am eagerly awaiting its release in November.
this was a ten chapter excerpt of the full book, so I can only comment on the opening.
This appears to be a retelling of the spinning hay into gold story and it has a very engaging start. The main character is interesting and has a good narrative voice. The premise is intriguing, with including the Wild Hunt in the story line.
I will be interested in getting the full story once the book is published.
The story of Rumplestiltskin is a beloved fairytale we are all familiar with.  However, Marissa Meyer is a master storyteller who makes me believe this is the first time I have heard the tale and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see how it ends.  I have enjoyed many of her other books, as well.  This book is no exception and continues to enthrall me.  I'm hooked.
Intriguing and dark, will Marissa Meyer have the ability to seduce and beguile us past this first few chapters… I have high hopes.

Naomi Novik had a Rumplestiltskin-inspired Spinning Silver that blew through any preconceived notions that this fairy tails has been done. Closer to the original, Meyer is still on track to do the same.  I’m excited for what’s to come.
I need this book RIGHT NOW. I always love Meyer's writing, and I will admit Gilded was on my radar well before I read this sampler, but now I am even more excited! Serilda tells stories with dark plots and dark endings to brighten children's imaginations. The setting is absolutely gorgeous and the story is whimsical! I cannot wait to fully read Gilded in November!
First of all thank you so much to Marissa Meyer, Macmillan, and NetGalley for making this sample available.

Wow! I’m itching to finish the whole book right this moment. Meyer’s weaves a spellbinding story about fairy tales told through the eyes of an ever-optimistic storyteller, Serilda, who’s always searching for the good in others despite the harsh world she’s trapped in. Where others would despair, she sees opportunities and hope.

Serilda tells stories with grim endings and dark plots, not to inspire fear, but with the desire that her stories will brighten children’s imaginations. Despite the beautifully gothic-eqsue setting of Gilded, the story so far is whimsical and brimming with faith. Whether Serilda holds onto her hopeful nature is unsure, but I'm certain I will be rooting for her.
I am so excited for this book to come out!  This sampler really has me wondering what is coming for our main character!  I love this world that Meyer has brought to us, it seems really interesting and magical. I can't wait to find out what happens to our main character. She is definitely a character I instantly am rooting for!
I really enjoyed this excerpt and I enjoyed the main character so far, she is strong and smart and witty and I am excited to keep reading about her journey.

The plot is interesting so far and I know Meyer will take it somewhere I never could’ve expected. I will be buying the book when it comes out and I hope a lot of people will.
I will be reviewing the full copy since I have received it now. No offense to this copy, I just don't want to have to review the same thing twice :P.
*Sampler Review*

Cue “Gimme More” by Britney Spears because I am SO READY for the rest of this book!

Let’s unpack what we know so far from the plot…

Serilda loves to tell tales. She loves telling the stories she heard from her father growing up that feature the Erlking and the Wild Hunt. She even has a craft for taking bits and pieces of those stories and weaving them into something new. She can spin a story with such precision and care that even she can get lost in discerning what is true. Unfortunately, Serilda’s stories are not widely well received for the people in her town see her as cursed and a born liar.

One night, Serilda wakes up with a start, hearing unique howls in the distance and the sound of voices just outside the cottage her and her father share. Burden by curiosity, she creeps out of bed and makes her way outside, closer to the voices. She discovers two moss maidens who are fleeing from the Wild Hunt. As in THE Wild Hunt from her stories! Serilda offers the moss maidens protection and hides them in her cellar. Suddenly, the Wild Hunt is upon her and she comes face to face with the Erlking. In an attempt to save her own skin, she explains to the Erlking that she is out at midnight to harvest the straw to spin to gold. The Erlking accepts her excuse (as poor as it might be) and the Wild Hunt leaves.

On the following full moon, there comes a knock on Serilda’s door. Her deception has caught up with her and Serilda is taken by a member of the Hunt back to the Erlking’s castle and presented with a dilemma. Unless she can spin straw into gold by the next morning, Serilda will pay for her lie. Sitting in her cell with piles and piles of straw around her, a mysterious visitor appears with a way to help Serilda keep up her deceit…for a price.

These questions still remain:
Why does the Erlking want Serilda to spin the straw into gold?
Who is this mystery boy with promises of magic?
Will Serilda manage to find her way back home?

Some initial thoughts about our protagonist, Serilda…

Serilda is fun and engaging. Her interactions with the students from the school might be my favorite thing about this book so far because it’s just so delightful and precious. She will also put herself in harms way to help others, like with helping the moss maidens. She’s also incredibly ballsy and quick witted which are qualities that aided her well. She is everything you could possibly want in a protagonist character and compelling enough to truly root for as the story progresses.

Marissa Meyer is the GOAT (greatest of all time) when it comes to fairytale retellings, in my humble opinion. So far I am loving that this retelling is a bit grittier and darker than her past retellings. I also don’t have much original context for the Rumplestiltskin fairytale or the Wild Hunt, so this feels brand new and I don’t know what to expect! I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on a finished copy come this November! I can’t wait to see what happens with Serilda, the Erlking, and this mystery boy!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this extended sampler in exchange for my honest review!
Wonderful sampler! I cannot wait until this book comes out so I can read the whole thing! Such an amazing story!
This extended preview did nothing but make me anticipate the release of this book even more than I already had. I already know that I love Meyers writing, so I can't wait to see where the rest of the story goes!
This book is a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin. The main character Serilda is a spinner of stories. In this book she finds herself in a predicament after spinning one story too far past the truth. This sampler started off slower but picked up towards the end. I did preorder a copy of the book after reading the sampler. I’m excited to finish Serilda’s story.

I received an extended sampler from Net Gallery  in exchange for my honest review.
Thank you for the opportunity. I could give back more feedback with the full book but gah it ended at a cliff hanger for the sampler people! I loved the descriptions of what she sees and how she makes up her stories as she's thinking. Can't wait to see what happens next.