Cover Image: Gilded

Gilded

Thank you for the opportunity. I could give back more feedback with the full book but gah it ended at a cliff hanger for the sampler people! I loved the descriptions of what she sees and how she makes up her stories as she's thinking. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Oh what a teaser this was. I can not wait to get the full copy of this as it was so good and left me wanting more.. Even though it was a sample of the story I still really enjoyed what I read. the characters had grit and were fully developed. This has a bit of Spinning Silver vibes and I really liked that book as well.
Excited to continue this story! Meyer is definitely on her A game here with a unique character voice and evocative settings that pull the reader right in.
I was excited to be able to get the chance to read this extended sneak peek of Gilded.

I received a sample through chapter ten in exchange for an honest review, Thank you NetGalley.

The book revolved around Serilda a poor farm girl that blessed or curse to tell beautiful extravagant stories until one day she met up with a hunting party, a Fractured fairytale based on Rumpelstiltskin. I love how Marissa Meyer weaves folklore into her fantasy story, she has a seamless way of bringing life to the old stories.

Cannot wait to continue this book upon release!!!   Great Job Marissa Meyer!!
I love Meyers precious work. The Lunar Chronicles was one of my favorite ya scifi series! So when I saw she had a new work coming out I was immediately intrigued. Unfortunately I was only able to get my hands on a sampler and not the full book. But it’s all good. I look forward to reading the full book later this year. Meyer is not disappointing.
Thanks to Netgalley, I was gifted the opportunity to read the first ten chapters to the upcoming Gilded from Marissa Meyer.

Gilded is a fairy tale retelling of Rumpelstiltskin and the spinning gold from straw. The sampler ended with, who I presume to be, Rumpelstiltskin appearing before our Main Female Character, Serilda.

So far, I will be picking up the book when it is released because I do want to continue the story and see how it plays out (and how it is told). I am a fan of Marissa’s previous works and this book seems to be another well written story from her.

The first chapter did start out a tad slow, but it quickly gained my attention by the second chapter.

As the description for the book suggestions: this is about an eighteen year old girl (Serilda) who is cursed by the god of lies and has a pension for telling stories. On a night of a Wild Hunt, she tells a story (lie) to the Erlking in an attempt to help two forest maidens - only for him to have her brought to him at a later time to test her story.

The story being tested is the premise of Rumpelstiltskin - Serilda told the Erlking that she was able to spin straw into gold. She now has until an hour before sunrise to spin the straw in her cell into gold. This is where the tenth chapter stopped, with Serilda begging for the straw to turn to gold and a mystery man appearing in the room with her.

And, I cannot wait to read the rest of the story.
This retelling of Rumpelstiltskin takes the story in a dark, intense direction. The main character Serilda seems strong and confident. Her penchant for telling tales gets her into a scary situation but she seems to be remarkably unbothered. The story takes a little while to get going and the sampler ends just as the story gets going. Still, it promises to be a dramatic twist on this familiar tale.
Rumplestilskin  but make it woman!

Have you ever told a lie or bluffed and got called out? Now you’re humiliated and feel like crap? That’s pretty much Serildás story up until Chapter 10, *which is the end of the exclusive sampler I received though netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I love Serilda’s over the top character and her storytelling! She spins story after story until one day the story of her being able to spin straw into gold gets her in very deep trouble. It catches the attention of the Erlking and now she has to pull through and actually do it, or be put to death. I love the characters that are introduced so far and I genuinely can’t wait to read the rest of the story!

In the last page, yes in the very last page of chapter 10, *cries*, we are introduced to a freckley boy who’s introduction is whimsical and magical. I cannot wait to see how their relationship develops because Serilda needs all the help she can get!
Based on the sampler I feel this book has old-fairy tale vibes, for those who enjoy that I think this will be a perfect fit. I, for one, cannot say I am fully sold but I am intrigued so it's a good start.
Marissa Me he can do not wrong and I cannot wait for Gilded to release so I can finish this story!!!!
In true Marissa Meyer fashion, we begin with a hard headed female protagonist. Let's face it, this has a lot to do with why I enjoy her as an author. Serilda lives in a rural village where she doesn't quite fit in with anyone except the children that she helps with at the schoolhouse. While other girls in town master the art of the spinning wool, Serilda is spinning the most elaborate stories, geared directly toward her audience! Going onto this, we know this is a Rumpelstiltskin retelling, so you may be wondering who will be this over exaggerated character? YEP! It's Serilda! So yeah, pretty excited for a retelling that is also a genderbent story. Serilda and her big mouth end up getting her caught in the web of the Erlking, who until recently she believed to be a legend intended to scare children into not wandering off into the woods. In these first 10 chapters, we already have rise and fall with excitement while getting an introduction to this new world. I love how Marissa Meyer is always able to give us characters that we care about immediately while providing world building that happens completely organically and never feels forced. Anyone who enjoys fairy tales or twists on classics should pick this one up. I'm very much looking forward to reading the rest of the story when it's released.
There's a lot of children's dialogue in this excerpt, and I don't think Meyer quite nailed it — like she was being so careful to avoid baby talk that she went a little too old. Nevertheless, it was pretty enjoyable and convinced me that I do want to read this book after all, so I suppose that makes it a good opening.
This is an interesting and darker look into the Rumpelstiltskin fairytale. We follow Serilda as she tells tall tales to her community. Her tales are fantastical and intriguing and catch the interest of one of the characters from her stories the Erlking.

I enjoyed the darkness interwoven in the details that I already knew of the tale. I am interested in how the story continues, so I suppose this extended sample did its job!
Thank you to Feiwel & Friends and Netgalley for a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
This is a review for the extended sampler,  so my comments and rating are only reflective of the first ten chapters.

I read Meyers’s Lunar Chronicles for the first time this summer and thoroughly enjoyed her inventive take on fairy tales! Gilded is a return to the fairytale retelling genre, but it seems to be more traditional rather than futuristic, as in the Lunar Chronicles.

It’s still too early to make a judgment, but I think one of the biggest issues I had was that the world-building felt a bit nebulous  in these first chapters; it was a bit difficult to really visualize the setting and characters in a distinct way, especially when one compares them to the foundation Meyer works to build early on in Cinder for The Lunar Chronicles, details related to time and place that really help to make the story come to life. While there were definitely some qualities to root for in the main character, Serilda, mainly her pluckiness and care for others, sometimes her voice also felt a bit less mature, which made it more difficult to really want to invest in her.

I found the first ten chapters to be a bit slow, but the story definitely picked up in the  last chapters of the sampler, enough that I would still want to check out the rest to see where the story goes from there!
I was intrigued by this retelling  Rumpelstiltskin, . There are not a lot of books that use this one.

The sampler was TOO SHORT!! I devoured it and was made when i tapped and there wasn't more!

This was a fascinating start to an old tale and I can't wait to get my hands on the entire books!
Gilded is a Rumpelstiltskin retelling and follows Serilda, a young girl who cannot stop herself from spinning tales. Unfortunately one night she makes the mistake of telling the fearsome Erlking, leader of the Wild Hunt, that she can spin straw into gold. Now he wants her to prove it, and the Erkling is not known for his kindness or forgiveness.
I love fairytales and fairytale retellings and Marrisa Meyer sweeps you away into this world from the very first paragraph. The sampler is enough to wet your appetite and has made me even more convinced that I need to read this book as soon as possible. The sampler ends just as a certain magical character appears and I honestly cannot wait to see where this story goes. Thank you to NetGalley for the chance to read this sampler and while I haven't read the whole book yet I think anyone who loves the story of Rumpelstiltskin or loves retellings will want to pick this book up.
WOW! Marissa Meyer did not disappoint in this one.

Her ability to cast traditional fairy tales in a new light has been unmatched in the past, and it seems that will continue in her next release, Gilded. I look forward to this highly anticipated release so that I can learn more about these characters and the world they inhabit. Best-seller status!
I’ve been a fan of Marissa Meyer for years. I was so excited to be able to get the chance to read this extended sneak peak of Gilded. It was everything I hoped for and more. I love the main character and can’t wait to see where her story goes. If you loved The Lunar Chronicles as much as I did you need to read this book. I can’t wait to finish it once it’s released. I’ve already preordered my copy!!
I received a sample up through chapter ten in exchange for an honest review.

Our main character is a young woman who likes to craft stories. Unfortunately she spins one for the wrong person, a dark magical being.

So far I like it. Ten chapters isn’t enough to say I love it but it didn’t change my plans to read the whole book when it’s out
Wow! This story is so compelling, it sucked me in with the first paragraph. Of course, Marissa Meyer is a fantastic author, so I was expecting great things and was not disappointed. It is a fantastical retelling of Rumplestiltskin, with ghosts and characters from European folklore. The main character is a spunky girl who cannot seem to stop herself from spinning yarns (lies) that land her in a heap of trouble. Only the first 10 chapters were available to review, so I cannot wait to read the rest.