Cover Image: River of Lights

River of Lights

I discovered I forgot to publish a review on this, which I am about to do, but I wanted to let the author know I gave a print copy to my granddaughter for Christmas and my daughter just texted that they want the next book! I do hope it's coming soon. I'll go splatter my review on all sites I can. Thanks for letting me read this story!
I give this a 3.5 stars. I did enjoy reading this book. I think that Katie is a good character. She is living in France at a boarding school while her father works and on a field trip is falls into the river and wakes up in a world of fairies. I think that Melanie Dobson did a great job describing the fairy lands. It is nice quick read for those early readers who love to read about fairies. I will defiantly be picking up the next book.
I think this would appeal to young readers. This is a fantasy tale that is full of magic. The cover will catch your eye and you will be ready to get lost in the story. I imagine the series will get better as it continues to grow. This was just not my cup of tea.

Thank you to NetGalley and Ember Roth Books for my advanced review copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
This book was a great read. It was fun and made me smile at times. I enjoyed it, and think others will too.
What a fun read! This story was so intriguing. First off, it's set in one of my favorite places in the world, Paris. The story itself was interesting and and one I really enjoyed. Katie is a likable character and perfect for the story. Now I need book two because I need to know what happens next!

I read this book through NetGalley and was not required to post a positive review. All thoughts are my own.
River of Lights was my first ever  Melanie Dobson novel. I very much enjoyed the story, definitely for the younger audience. I liked the characters although not as developed and indepth as they might have been but again as a younger audience is the intended target I think that works in Dodson's favor. I'm curious enough from this to want to read the next book.
I received a copy through NetGalley and all comments and opinions are my own.
This is kind of an odd little book. The reader is cast into a moment in a girl Katie’s life. She is on the Eiffel Tower in Paris with a school group. Over the course of the next space of time, she finds her way to a magical place that needs saving from darkness.
It’s a lovely short story but I felt there were a lot of missing details that would have made me feel more at home in the story. As it was it ended just as I was finding my feet.
This would be a middle grade book.
I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley in exchange for an honest review.  This book is well written and the characters are described well. This book is set in Paris, France. The pacing of this book is great. This is the best middle grade book I have read. I would highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. This book is in stores for $5.99 (USD). This book is cute and fun. If you have not read this book yet go get it and read it now.
River of Lights is a children’s fantasy novella written by author Melanie Dobson. River of Lights is book one in The Magic Portal series, great for ages 8-14.

Welcome to Rodenia where life is magical, with ‘talking fireflies and a maze of rooms below a giant oak tree.’ There is also Gaul the wicked wizard. Katie begins in Paris, however, she falls through the magical portal where the fireflies need Katie’s help.

The text of River of Lights is organized in simple sentences and short paragraphs. This organization is sufficient for the story the novella is telling. The literary tool used in River of Lights is imagery.

I enjoyed River of Lights and read it in one sitting. I am sure children ages 8-14 will enjoy reading it to themselves or a friend.

Disclaimer: I receive complimentary books from various sources, including, publishers, publicists, authors, and/or NetGalley. I am not required to write a positive review and have not received any compensation. The opinions shared here are my own entirely. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255
This was a pretty decent middle grade book. I think kids would really enjoy the story because it's really fast paced and filled with magic. You could kind of tell the outcome of the plot twists near the end of the book, but they were still fun to read. I really liked the world building of the fairyland in this book. I think it was pretty neat how there was a world on the other side of the Seine. The concept of the lights was pretty interesting too. I also liked Katie's character and thought she'd teach kids to face their fears. I wish there was more to the story because it was over way too quickly (I was surprised with how quickly they battled with the baddie), but that works well for a MG novel.
My goodness, that cover truly is stunning and it was so exciting for me that Dobson published a kids' fantasy!! Katie doesn't fit in and she is on a field trip with her classmates in Paris, WITH an injured leg, however she doesn't seem to care what the other girls think of her as she deals with her injury and I was proud of her for that.

The class leaves her behind and as she tries to catch up, she notices a proposal and a theft take place. Feeling bad that she might be missed by the teacher, but knowing she can't ignore what has happened, she tries to intercede. This decision leads her to a portal that takes her to a different world.

I was slightly disappointed there wasn't more story building and more characters introduced, but it was a GREAT start for a kids' book and I immediately got hooked to Katie's journey. Meeting a princess and finding out more about her family was really intriguing and the magical world with her necklace having such a special meaning was both original and sweet.

Would love to know how this series continues!

Received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review, the thoughts and comments are my own.
River of Lights by Melanie Dobson is the first book in the Magical Mortal series. Katie Andrews doesn’t fit in with the other girls at her French boarding school. During a field trip in Paris, Katie falls into the river Seine and discovers a colorful fairy world hidden below. In the mysterious Land of Light, all is not well. An evil wizard named Gaul has captured the queen and stolen the fairy light. With the help of her new friend, Princess Lilly, and the firefly fairies, Katie discovers there is an ancient prophecy that can help defeat Gaul and save the Land of Light. In the process, she discovers a secret that will change everything she knows about her family.
With a Narnia-like journey, River of Lights is a great introduction to a new magical series. A book for young readers, particularly girls, filled with fairies, princesses and evil wizards. It is a sweet and fun adventure and as a fairly easy and fast read, I see younger readers really enjoying this series either reading independently or as a family. I look forward to introducing these books to my daughters. If you enjoy magical kingdom adventures, you will enjoy River of Lights.

River of Lights is available in paperback and eBook.
RIVER OF LIGHTS #1 OF THE MAGIC PORTAL SERIES
Rating- 4.75/5
Genre: Middle grade
This book was the perfect combination of mystery and fantasy that every 9- 11 year old craves.
When I was a kid, I used to loathe reading. If I had read this book sooner, I would have probably gotten into reading a lot earlier.
What could make it better
Some of the descriptions MAY be a little tough for an average middle schooler to understand which might settle a fear of reading further in the child.
When Katie falls into the Seine during a field trip, she finds herself in another world. A world full of magic and Firefly fairies. But this world struggles. It needs light. Can Katie help bring the light back to this magical world and what secrets will she discover?
Its a cute little Fairytale full of magic and light. Since its a rather short story it sometimes feels a bit rushed but its still very entertaining and young fairies will enjoy it :)

3.5 Stars
Set in Paris, France this children's fantasy book is perfect for children between eight and fourteen years of age.
Full of magic,fairies and lights this book is sure to delight your child and leave them wanting to read more.
As a tween girl Katie doesn't fit in with the girls in her boarding school and it becomes even more apparent on a field trip to Paris.
While there she enters a magical portal to a special fairy world under the city of Paris.
"The Magic Portal Series takes young readers on an enchanting Narnia-like journey to foreign lands and fairy kingdoms. Filled with mystery and wonder, this new series opens up a magical world across Europe with glowing jewels, colorful fairies, talking flowers, and an evil wizard trying to steal the light."
Intriguing series to introduce your child to!

Pub Date 12 Jul 2021
I was given a complimentary copy of this book. Thank you.
All opinions expressed are my own
When I learned Melanie Dobson wrote a children's book, I jumped at the chance to read and review it.

Overall rating: 4.5 stars

Katie is attending a boarding school in Paris when she falls into the Seine. Instead of simply resurfacing, she is pulled into a mysterious new world controlled by a man named Gaul. Katie is at first mistaken for the princess of the land by talking fireflies, whom she befriends. Katie, the princess, and the fireflies work together to try and defeat Gaul and his fire ant army.

I have a few questions that weren't answered. Why did Gaul take over the land? How did he deceive the queen so seemingly easily? Why can't the queen return? Hopefully they are resolved in the sequel, which I am looking forward to reading.

The target audience is girls between the ages of 7 - 12. I would be happy to let my daughter read this when she gets older.

This book was provided by NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book. This did not affect my review at all.

This is a good book about a girl in Paris who falls into the Seine river and gets transported into a magical world. Katie doesn’t get along with the other girls at her boarding school in Paris and misses her home in Oregon. She falls into a river and goes to the Land of Light, finding out that she has to save it in the process.

This was a magical story that was very good. However, the book felt a little bit rushed and underdeveloped, which could have been solved with it being longer.

Overall, this was a good book that I would recommend to a young fantasy reader.
Melanie Dobson has written a magical story that transports a girl from her sightseeing trip in Paris to the Land of Light.  Filled with fairies, mystery and unexpected friendship this fantasy novel begs to be enjoyed by all.  Katie's Dad has moved them to Paris for his job which lands Katie in a boarding school full of girls that are nothing like her.  Where she sees beauty and magic around her the other girls only want to use cell phones and avoid seeing what is in front of them.  Drawn by the magical sight of the lights around the Eiffel Tower and river Seine, Katie falls behind her school group and misses the elevator down with them.  When she arrives on ground she witnesses a robbery and tries to help.  Katie follows the man she suspects and instead finds glowing lights in the river.  This starts a magical trip to Rodenia.  Now Katie has met magical creatures and a girl who fast becomes a friend.  The light has been stolen by an evil man who wants to conquer the land and the queen needs Katie's help to overcome the darkness.  Can she be brave enough to help?   Can an ancient poem give them the answer to stop the darkness?  How will Katie get home if she makes it through this adventure?
This delightful story opens a magical world of fantasy that readers will want to visit again and again.  I can't wait to read the next adventure Land of Lights takes me on.  I received a complimentary copy of this book.  Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
A magical tale from the perspective of a young girl.

The accidental discovery of a magical land was not the only surprise that was awaiting Katie, a kind and lonely school girl. As she found the Land of Light plunged into darkness and learned that it could be saved, she readily jumped into the mission. The following reward, the fulfilment of a desire cherished for long was indeed well-deserved by her. For Katie, it was only the beginning of a magical journey.

The first couple of things that grabbed my attention are definitely the cover and the title. The style of narration was decent and the book managed to keep me glued for a long time.

The start-off looked promising but I cannot deny that I did feel the following parts could be better. However, I also believe that the story has got potential and it is likely to get better as the series proceeds.

Recommended for kids below the age of 12.
I think this book is meant for 2nd - 5th graders, considering how short it was and just the content of the story in general. It's not for me, but I'm sure other young kids, specifically girls, would love it, considering the way it was written. Katie is a young girl from a farm in Oregon but because of her dad's job, she has to move to Paris. But everyone there is so unfriendly and it makes her wish to go back to Oregon. When she tries to stop a thief from stealing a priceless ring, however, she falls right into the Seine River. But that's not all. Somehow, the river transports her to a magical new world, one that is under the power of an evil ruler. And because of her uncanny resemblance to the royal family, everyone thinks she's their savior. She misses Oregon more than ever, and in the end, she has to decide, will she look for a way to go back to Paris or will she become the savior this magical world desperately needs?