Cover Image: Mrs. Jeffries and the Midwinter Murders

Mrs. Jeffries and the Midwinter Murders

This book is a historical mystery set in England in the 1890's. It's the 40th book in a series. You don't need to read the previous books to understand this one, and this book didn't spoil the whodunit of the previous books. This was a clue-based puzzle mystery, and there were enough clues for a reader to figure out whodunit. The story wasn't heavily historical, though there were enough details to provide a historical feel.

This wasn't one of the best in the series. We got a lot of filler, from repetition when Mrs. Jeffries thinks over the clues each night to the author giving extensive biographies on each character and telling us about them rather than showing their personalities in their interactions. Not surprisingly, whodunit was pretty easy to figure out. There was no sex. There were a few uses of bad language.
Oh, this was SUCH a fun read! I love when I don't figure out the "whodunit" too quickly. As always, Brightwell pulls together history, fun, sleuthing, some thrills and some good insights into Victorian England to craft a fantastic read. I love revisiting these characters, they're like old friends now. This will be a perfect book to curl up with as the weather changes and it gets cooler. Brava!
This was a delightful book to read.  I was not sure after the first chapter but once I was into the second chapter I could not stop reading.  The characters are wonderful.  The descriptions make it where you can picture them.  With this being historic and in London the writing was wonderful.  I could hear the people with their accents talking.  The cockney accent makes you think for a second but I read slower than they speak and was able to understand everything.  I changed my mind on the murderer several times during the book.  This kept me intrigued.  Once the murderer was revealed I expected the story to end.  To my delight it did not end but unfortunately there comes a time a book must end.  I now cannot wait for the next book.  I will go back and read the previous books because this is the first one I read by this author.  Her writing is refreshing and spellbinding.