Cover Image: Don't Get Close

Don't Get Close

Special Agent Taggart has just been assigned a cold case. After 30 years of silence, the FBI is attempting to uncover the mysteries of the Sons of Elijah. It’s Taggart’s job to find out exactly what they’re hiding, and where they plan to strike again.

This book started off a little slow, but as the story built and the plot thickened, I found myself having a hard time putting it down. I really enjoyed the overall story and dynamic of the book.

This book was incredibly detailed oriented. There was a lot of history that was discussed in great detail in the book. And while it was relevant to the story I found myself getting lost at times or skimming to get back to the main plot line.

I would definitely consider this a slow burn until about the half way mark. That’s not at all a negative comment, I just had a little bit of trouble getting into it until that point.

I really enjoyed this thriller! It was fresh and exciting and I loved the idea of a cult surrounding reincarnation. Great story!

A special thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for allowing me the opportunity to read this book.
Thank you to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Don't Get Close by Matt Miksa is an police procedural and government thriller with elements of pseudo-science and science fiction.  The story revolves around FBI Special Agent Vera Taggart, who gets caught up in the case of the Sons of Elijah, a cult who committed suicide bombings decades ago.  When it seems that the Sons of Elijah have returned, Tag has to investigate by going to sessions with the psychiatrist who treated some of the members.  Dr. Seth Jacobson believes that under hypnosis, people can remember their past lives and use those memories to work through problems they're experiencing in their current life.  Suspected that the good doctor is more than what he seems, Tag decides to undero hypnosis treatment herself as a part of her investigation.  What is the Sons of Elijah's secret?  How is Dr. Jacobson involved?

Here is a chilling excerpt from the Prologue:

"Another drop of blood detached from the cuff of her coat and landed on the bright ground. Sophie winced and grabbed the sleeve, which was too long and hung limp past her fingertips. It wasn’t actually her coat... In any case, she’d ruined it (blood never came out completely), but it was still in better condition than her own coat, which now sat stuffed inside a trash bin with a hole punched through its Gore-Tex shell. A perfect, round hole that matched the one in Sophie’s shoulder.
Even if he can’t track the boot prints, he’ll follow the dripping red trail. And if he catches me …"

Overall, Don't Get Close is a well-written police procedural and government thriller that I could not put down.  I was fascinated by the pseudo-science aspects of this book, particularly the hypnosis scenes.  I should warn you though that if you are unable to suspend your disbelief regarding hypnosis, reincarnation, and government conspiracies, you may not enjoy this book.  I took 1 star off, because I was expecting a typical thriller that is based completely in reality.  There are some parts that you will really have to stretch your mind to believe.  It's really hard for me to think of movies that give off a similar vibe to this book, but I guess that I could compare it to Mission Impossible and National Treasure.  If you're intrigued by the excerpt above, or if you're a fan of thrillers in general, I highly recommend that you check out this book when it comes out in March!
This is a a book that is filled with very detailed information that will keep you thinking long after you finish the book. It is a style and a topic are not what I would have normally chosen but I did find it interesting and very thought provoking. This is a story about an artist that is recruited for the FBI and she goes through training and gets assigned a cold case. Tagg on the first day talks down a jumper on a bridge only to learn later he could be tied to her cold case. Tagg interviews the psychologist who wrote the book about his patient Sophia who was believed to be one of the Sons of Elijah. Tagg is trying to understand why the woman would kill so many people.

What will Tagg uncover as she investigates? Will she be able to understand why Sophia killed so many people? Will she be able to prevent another disaster?

Thank you to Netgalley for complimentary copy.
Tag is an FBI agent on the hunt of a religious cult leader cold case. With her ability to solve cases quickly and efficiently, only Tag can figure out the answer to this one.

Tag is led to a psychiatrist who has treated members of the cult before, and puts herself in the shoes of the cult leaders as she tries to uncover their next move. What will this treatment uncover that Tag has hidden ? And will it help her solve the crime?

I thought the book was well paced and action packed. The book leaves further exploration of other stories so I'm sure there will be more from this author in the future.
This book was sent to me by Netgalley on Kindle for review…I do not prefer novels set in the future even though this was not that far into the future…I maintain that no one can predict the future…also the thought of reincarnation  does not resonate with me…this I will pass on reading this novel again…others who like these themes might enjoy the book…
It was a book that had a  interesting story  . I recommend it for people who aren't  offended by unorthodox  ideas. And you the ending is open to interpretation
I don’t even know where to begin?

The story is based on this cult, The Sons of Elijah. They set of several bombs a couple of decades ago and killed about a thousand of people (and themselves in the process). The members also believe in reincarnation and they truly believe they have been reincarnated for several centuries, protecting a secret.

Our MC Vera Taggert (Tag) is a novice FBI agent who gets this cold case and starts her own investigation into the events. This leads her to Dr. Seth Jacobson a psychiatrist who has treated two of the leading members of the Sons of Elijah, through hypnosis sessions.

Tag decides to undergo one of the sessions for herself and gets pulled into the middle of this puzzle. The fate of humanity hangs in the balance and she has to decide who’s side she’s fighting for.

This was a very intriguing read and kept me guessing the whole way through. It definitely is not predictable and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

Reviews are posted on Goodreads, TikTok & Instagram
Crooked Lane Books you have become my favorite pub and I just can't thank y'all enough for the approved ebooks! 😘

Don't Get Close was such an intense book! I devoured this book in a matter of two days!
The setting was fabulous. I was intrigued throughout this entire book and had me scanning the pages to find out how this book ends!
I absolutely loved this book! It was fast-paced with a lot of action and suspense.
With amazing characters that instantly pull you into their story and keep you gripped.
 I had a hard time putting this book down after I got started. I kept thinking "just one more chapter" and as usual I kept reading...... That is this book right here!

Thanks NetGalley and CLB y'all rock!
“They should rejoice. All of them. Even if they’ll never know what the Sons of Elijah have done for them. What I’ve done for them.”

Don't get Close is a book that with just the title makes you want to read it. It is incredible that with only 3 words a book attracts so much attention.

Let's start with the plot: The concept seemed really interesting to me. I have always heard the topic of reincarnation and past lives, and I must admit that it is a fascinating topic for me. It was amazing to be able to read about the past lives of certain characters and see how each of them related to each other.

About the characters: Let's start with our protagonist Tag, who used to be an artist and who after a tragic event decides to accept a proposal to join the FBI. I think the character was written well; she makes mistakes, gets angry, and sometimes acts impulsively, she's basically a real person. I liked the idea of ​​including the reason why she joined this institution as it helps to have a better context and background. I must admit, her co-workers many times made me angry or their comments annoyed me. In certain chapters I got confused with the characters from the past lives and how they relate to the Tag, so if you're gonna read this book you should try to read really carefully.

The format of the chapters: I was pleased that they added parts of the doctor's books to know his perspective and relationship with the members of the terrorist group without using him as a narrator. The chapters weren't long and they were quick to read because of that.

The plotwist: I WAS SHOCKED. It literally says "wtf" out loud. I was really amazed with every plotwist I read; when I thought I was finally guessing something, a plotwist would come by and change my overall perspective of what was happening. AND THEN THE CLIFFHANGER, GOD, IT WAS SO INTENSE. I need a sequel for this, like for real omg

I thank NetGalley and its publisher for the arc of this book!
Date reviewed/posted: August 13, 2021
Publication date: March 8, 2022

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you have personally decided to basically continue on #maskingup and #lockingdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. Plus it is hot as all heck and nothing is more appealing than sitting in front of a fan with a kindle!

An infamous reincarnation cult resurfaces in the wake of a deadly bombing, and it’s up to an FBI novice to learn its true aim—and uncover its dark past before it consumes her.

Special Agent Vera Taggart walked away from a promising career as an artist to join the FBI, and she impresses her new colleagues with her eerie ability to divine conclusions from the grisliest crime scenes. Taggart’s first assignment is a decades-old cold case centred on a cult of suicide bombers known as the Sons of Elijah who believe they’ve been reborn hundreds of times, going back centuries. It seems like a low-risk assignment until a bomb tears apart a crowded Chicago restaurant. The Sons of Elijah have returned—and now it’s up to Taggart to stop their modern-day reign of terror.

Taggart’s investigation begins with Dr. Seth Jacobson, a renowned psychiatrist who claims to help people remember past lives through hypnotherapy. Jacobson had treated two of the Sons of Elijah’s founders before they’d gone on to commit a series of horrific murders. Desperate to understand how these ordinary patients could have taken such a violent path, Taggart agrees to undergo similar treatment with Jacobson.

Through her hypnosis sessions, Taggart comes to suspect the Sons of Elijah are targeting a high-tech government laboratory that could expose the group’s greatest secret with a controversial experiment. To save millions of innocent lives, Tag must come to grips with the shocking truth about the cult and her own puzzling role in its timeless mission. The fate of humanity rests on her ability to determine which threats are real and which exist only in her mind—and to decide whose side she’s really fighting for.

What a rocket ride of a book! Cults are scary and Taggart's abilities and memories of her role in the cult are kind of scary to even think about. The hypnotherapy part of the book confused me at first (and her role/memories in/of the history of the cult, but it worked out in the end and made sense....finally. (Is she an artist or an agent? A medium or a psychic? Real or a fake?) But it took time. In the end, it was a great book to read and I will recommend this book to friends, family, patrons, book clubs, and people reading books in the park as we do … I have had some of my best conversations about books down by the Thames!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. ") on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀