Cover Image: Where the Stars Sing

Where the Stars Sing

Still not sure how I feel about this....

The writing was really confusing, and affected my enjoyment. The plot was okay, I don't really see the fantasy aspect, expect for witches, but it was a quick read. I would recommend if you're just getting into sff fiction then give this a go!
Many thanks to NetGalley and 22nd Light LLC for providing me with a copy of this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

The first thing worth noting is the blurb is essentially what the book is about. It does focus a little less on the traditional “coming of age”, which was about 20% of the book, but the life changes Charles was having to make at 27 were basically him growing up.

I thought it was beautifully written, and the style brought to mind the writers in the 1800s (I’m a huge Wilkie Collins fan). I could almost see Charles as an old man, hunched over at his desk, writing down each and every one of his mistakes before he died. Although the story is told in the third person, we only see through Charles’ eyes.

I enjoyed the set up - a man made star which crashes to earth and destroying life as we know it - and I liked the idea of the Wonders versus the Terrors. The world building isn’t as strong, but I also feels that fits within the tone of the story which seems more about Charles than about anything else.

This is a beautiful, slow paced book in which tangled relationships - not just with lovers, but friends and family too - are at the forefront. If you’re looking for “beat ‘em up” action, this isn’t it. If you’re looking for queer yearning with a backdrop of finding out how far you can go before your hero becomes a villain, give this a try. I’m definitely coming back for book 2.
I couldn't completely read this book as it was archived but I'll love to read it later when it's published.
DNF at ~50%

I do not like to put an advanced reader copy away before I even manage to finish it, but this was not just for me. I had a hard time getting into the writing style (which needs some revisiting) and even though the world sounded interesting, I had to drag myself back to the book.
I was granted an ARC of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The summary of this book immediately caught my attention and I was drawn into the story - one that I thought could very possibly happen in an alternate reality/a parallel universe where a man caused disaster lead to individuals having abilities and powers of the supernatural variety.

This story was a well done not only for the queer representation, but also how it highlights how our past stays with us despite having moved forward with our lives. We see this specifically with Charles grandfather, who had secrets he desired to keep above all else, but also how Charles first loved complicated his life.

Admitedly, there were parts of the plot that I struggled to keep up with, but I thoroughly enjoyed the story and found that it was a quick read. The prose overall is beautiful and a unique take on how we view those with powers/how it can influence our life trajectory.
I felt super attracted to this book when I stumbled upon it on Netgalley. It deals with a mysterious event that causes some of the population to have superpowers! It kind of reminded me of My Hero Academia in that aspect, and I was pretty curious to read it.

Turned it is not so much as the manga as a superhero movie. We get to discover how the world changed after a man-caused accident, giving some humans superpowers. This is how Wonders and Terrors were made. Charles Sykes is just a little boy when this all happens. He grows up admiring Wonders, and hopes to one day be able to do some change himself, even though he isn't gifted with any power.

Times goes by, Charles leaves the town to study, and become more. When he comes back to his hometown, he isn't the same. He is successful, rich, but his past still haunts him, whether it is his father's death or his love for former classmate Arthur. So when Charles' grandfather reaches out after all this time to ask his grandson to decipher a mysterious notebook, Charles isn't too sure what it is or what's going on. But soon, he realizes the notebook is more than dangerous, and it makes Charles a target for the Terrors.

Overall, this book read more as a DC movie than an actual novel. I think it would be pretty interesting to see it on Netflix or something. I could picture everything fairly clearly, even though the plot sometimes got a little blurry for me. I couldn't understand all the details or all implications of the notebook, the story behind it and how Charles became the new version of himself, or why Harrison, Charle's grandfather was this mysterious man who suddenly had secrets. Still, I got most of the story, and I thought it was a captivating story to follow.

Charles is a complex character, morally grey, which made me like him. Although he grew up admiring Wonders, as an adult, he realizes that not everything is just about crime and justice, and his mindset changes slowly. Being in his head was pretty cool. I also really enjoyed reading about his relationship with Arthur, his crush since high school. It's such an intense and somewhat toxic relation and obsession between each other! I love twisted relations like this!

Although I didn't catch all the details of the plot, Where the Stars Sing was an entertaining book. It catches your attention, and makes you live the story pretty vividly. If you like DC and Marvel as well as morally grey characters and a bit of darkness in fiction such as in Umbrella Academy, this should be a book you will enjoy.
This was truly unlike anything that I have read before. It starts off a bit sad with the accident that left millions dead and then our main character lost his father. then normal people start developing weird and supernatural gifts. He finds comfort with his friends and grandfather but is still searching for more and tries to find it when he goes off to college. About 10 years later he returns home and his friends try to pick up right where they left off. His grandfather calls him over to decipher a strange book. Once he starts to dive into the mysteries of this book does he realize that he has taken on more than ever expected. This was so cool and can't wait for everyone else to be able to read it as well.
This book wasn't for me. I feel like I would enjoy it more in 2010, because it gave more dystopian feels than fantasy. The world building was nice, but I didn't understand many things that happened there, the plot was really slow because of many descriptions and a lot of spelling mistakes. The characters fell flat and the romance just didn't do it for me. All in all. not one I would read again, or recommend really unless this was specifically what you were looking for.
I hate to rate an ARC as one star and especially a debut but this was just not good.  I really tried but I did not like anything about it.

First off, the writing was incredibly confusing despite a fairly straightforward plot.  Lots of long convoluted descriptions, random flashbacks that didn't add anything, and a timeline that jumped around.  Many of the chapters started out halfway through a thought and gave you all of Charles' feelings about it and then told you what had happened.  This was the same with characters, it'd give you all of this information (feelings, description, etc.) of a character that had appeared and it wouldn't tell you who it was until a few paragraphs later.  It was really annoying and made this really hard to read.

I also didn't like Charles.  He's a bit of a sad sack that mopes around and doesn't really do much except pet his rabbit.  The romance(s) portion fell flat because Charles didn't seem invested in Arthur or Francesca, I didn't believe either one of them.  He didn't seem to care so I didn't either.  And possibly even more annoying, the dude gets superpowers and instead of learning about them, trying to use them, helping people, etc. like you'd expect, he researches and takes notes.  If he doesn't seem to care about anything, why would I want to read about it?  I also have absolutely no idea how he went from poor to rich and the author never bothered to explain other than saying it was his job which we never know what it is or see him do.

Then there's the world building or really lack of world building.  This world is not developed at all.  It just exists and we learn nothing about it through the book.  There's Nox and Wonders and Terrors and other terms thrown about but nothing is explained in any satisfactory way.  The Compendium is never really explained and the whole Everhawk mess just doesn't make sense, I still don't really understand what all was happening there and the thing the bad guys were doing was ridiculously weird.

Lastly, and this may be because it was an ARC but, there is a lot of conflicting/confusing information throughout the book.  This happened a lot with naming of people.  Charles refers to his family members as "mom", "dad" and "grandfather" but also by their first names, totally interchangeably.  This especially weird in the first section when he's supposed to be 7 and again, just made the book hard to read.  There's also a character who is referred to as "Wendy", "Lynn" and "Wendy Lynn".  She's only briefly in the book and within a few pages all of these are used.  If this is a mistake, hopefully it's fixed but if it is intentional, it's just weird.  Perhaps the most upsetting of the conflicting info is where Charles seems to develop telepathy for about 10 paragraphs in the middle of the book.  Never mentioned before or again but for a little bit, he can read thoughts.  What??

So obviously, I didn't like this one and certainly won't be continuing the series.  It's a shame, the premise really was interesting, even now rereading the blurb, I know why I requested it and wished I had enjoyed it more.

**I received an eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**
I very rarely quit a book, but I couldn't make it through even 30% of the book. I feel like it definitely needs to go through a few more rounds of revisions.
Unfortunately I DNF this one even though I persevered for 50% of it.

To me it wasn’t what I was expecting… the characters were tedious and it felt like the book didn’t really know what it wanted to be… coming of age YA? Sci-fi? Romance? It was a little too all over the place for me.
"Where The Stars Sing": 2⭐

(Unpaid Review: thank you to @netgalley, @aminahfox and @xpressobooktours for allowing me to read this eArc copy in exchange for a review.)

Well, I rarely rate books with 2⭐. It doesn't mean I hated it, it only means it's lacking a few things that would bring so much more shimmer to it.

This book has a really nice promising idea. Even the title is appealing. However, while reading, I felt like I was reading a comics/manga novel. Don't get me wrong, I love comics/manga, I'm a huge geek! But the concept of a book is to actually BE a book. Also, its a bit slow-paced, which makes the story only ACTUALLY happen by the second half of the book, so...

As this is the first book by the author, I want to say congratulations and good luck! I know the pressure and I'm sure you'll get better! Can't wait to read more of your books!
I had a hard time finishing this book.  It didn't really capture my attention and I had a hard time getting into the characters.  The writing was well done though.
this book definitely needs more time for revisions. it read like a teen/YA book when there was no age category listed, making me assume it was in the adult genre. i thought i would enjoy the x-men like concept, however, the writing made the overall plot difficult to follow, as in i'm not exactly sure what was happening through any point at which i was reading. this book has the potential to be really good, it just needs revisions so that there are no repetitive sentences or typos. i'm sad to say that my first netgalley review is a negative one and i did in fact DNF/not finish this book.
Thank you netgalley for providing an ARC in exchange for a review

Humans try to send a star to space, it doesn't work, chaos ensue.
We follow Charles, at ages 12, 17 and 27, as he navigates life, relationships, family, loss of loved ones, and the mystery surrounding Wonders, people who gained super powers after the failed attempt to send a star to space.
I liked the fact that a lot of characters aren't straight, there's also a (very) cute bunny. The plot is interesting, there's a bit of mystery that kept me interested, however, I didn't feel a lot of chemistry in the relationships that blossom in these pages.

If there's a second book, I'd be curious to read it!

Tw : death of a parent, abuse (on a child)
This review is totally my opinion and it doesn't mean other people couldn't love this book.

Hmmm...this book did not grab my attention as I wanted it to. I thought the cover was really beautiful and that's what made me initially want to read this book. With the stories I read, I want to be enveloped in the characters and feel like I am living the story with them. I did not feel that way with this book. It seemed like I just couldn't picture the characters in my head or the descriptions were vague. The main love interest was hard to root for and lacked something important.

The plot had some serious potential and that's why I am giving 3 stars but the way it was delivered just did not impress me.
Thank you NetGalley and Xpresso Book Tours for the ARC of this book. These reviews are entirely my own.

I’ve never given a book 1 star before…

I’m honestly not even sure where to start…

The main character is pretty meh, we don’t really learn much about him or really end up caring about him much either. The love interest was a touch bizarre and definitely didn’t make me feel like rooting for them. The whole first third of the book… nothing even really happens.

I think the intentions of the author were good but the writing style and character development unfortunately needs revisiting.

As this is the authors first book, it would be interesting to see what comes next. I honestly liked the idea of the book and some of the thinking behind it, but the execution was unfortunately lacking.
The plot grabbed me, though the book din not, unfortunately.
DNF @10% and I still have no idea what the story was 😔
It pains me to be so harsh, I hate giving negative reviews. Maybe is not for me this writing style,  that's why I'm giving it 2 stars instead of 1 as I initially intended.

2 stars

~ I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own ~
I’ll keep this short because I am not the target audience for this book. The writing was ok but there were too many mistakes and it jerked me out of the narrative. I also prefer more detailed world building and this was too vague for my tastes. I think the concept was solid but the execution was off. It felt not quite finished. And since I fall outside the intended market, there wasn’t enough to draw me in.
This book wasn't for me. I feel like I would enjoy it more in 2010, because it gave more distopian vibes than fantasy. The world building was nice, but I didn't understand many things that happened there, the plot was really slow because of many descriptions and a lot of spelling mistakes. The characters felt kinda flat and romance was meh. 2/5⭐

Thank you NetGalley for providing digital advanced copy in exchange for honest review.