Cover Image: Gallant

Gallant

Schwab does it again. Gallant pulls a reader into a fast paced, Haunted Mansion style ride through a young girl’s life. The illustrations and layout will keep readers of all ages wanting to know what’s going to happen next. This is a perfect read for a fall time book report or paranormal extra credit project.

The book begins by giving us a look into the life of a young orphan named Olivia. We soon find out that Olivia is a very special girl who is living a very unique life in a world full of ghosts, ghouls, shadow men, and bones. It’s not shocking that everything seems so grey for Olivia. However, with just enough determination, she may be able to bring some color back into her dull grey life.
Whimsical and beautifully written, which is something I've come to expect from Victoria Schwab. This was a very interesting novel, following a character that doesn't speak much yet has a world of personality.
Wow this book is a mesmerizing story. I was immediately swept away into this world. The writing is so beautiful and terrifying.
Victoria Schwab never fails to entertain and Gallant is no exception. Living her life in a colorless orphange, Olivia Prior is plagued by ghouls. It would be hard to find the words to descibe this phenomenon, but even harder when you are mute. With only her mother's journal to comfort her, Olivia has tried to make the best of the situation when a letter from a lost uncle arrives. What appears to be a blessing might actually turn out to be a curse.
All the trademarks of Victoria Schwab's work are here: strong female characters, beautiful prose, clever world-building, steady plotting. This is atmospheric and lovely. My only complaint is that the ending was a tiny bit anticlimactic, but for a quiet novel like this, it felt appropriate. I love how the illustrations are such a stunning and important part of the overall story, too. That's one of my favorite things about V's books -- reading them is an experience.
Well that was exquisite. Perfectly haunting and gloomy and dark but with so much spark and hope. Olivia is so well written. I read another review that compared it to the Secret Garden and that is spot on! A more haunting Secret Garden.
Olivia Prior’s story begins at an orphanage for girls. Her only connection to family is her mother’s journal and the entries are puzzling to decipher. Olivia struggles with unknowns and inability to communicate. She doesn’t belong here and she knows it. When she is invited to her familial home, she at last feels a sense of belonging. However, the story turns to a gothic style story reminiscent of Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights. The house holds secrets, and there are elements of horror and fantasy as Olivia discovers the secrets of the house and within herself. I felt like this was difficult to get into at first but as the story unfolded I had a hard time putting the book down. It was at turns thrilling, scary, and heartwarming. The characters felt real and worth rooting for. I had chills reading it when the supernatural elements began kicking in. I highly recommend it!
Reviewed on Goodreads
It’s rare that I genuinely don’t want to put a book down. I could not stop reading this book, and even when I had to, I was thinking about it.

Schwab does a great job at setting a scene and she creates such a vivid image of this haunted house. It isn’t quite scary, but there is a spookiness that follows you around the entire book.

I will caution that this book is YA and I find that YA doesn’t typically get into the depth of the horror genre as well as it could. But I think that if you like ghosts stories, this is beautifully told.

Overall, as a fan of horror and magic, I absolutely loved this book! It was a quick, immersive read.

I received an eARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This title was lovely. It was dark and it reminded me of aspects of Crimson Peak. Not much the plot but aspects. It had a gothic feel to it that I loved to pieces. I can’t wait for the release to recommend it! It was the kind of dark fantasy I’ve been looking for. And it did something well that I often find can be hit or miss. I love when young adult characters are well formed. Not that there isn’t some very well done young adult age characters. However, some are not written as deftly as Schwab does. I loved this!
Unfortunately, due to Netgalley's new formatting, I wasn't able to download this book onto my kindle. As someone who suffers from migraines, I am unable to read books on my phone or other tablet devices which meant I was unable to finish this book. While I love Victoria Schwab and everything she has written I have no doubt this book will be just as excellent. I look forward to finishing it when it's available in print and as a download for kindle.
This is another winner from V.E. Schwarb. A story about life, death and in between. I loved this and would highly recommend.
Victoria Schwab is incredibly skillful at creating a particular ambiance—the feel of a sort of ethereal, gothic fairy tale.  Gallant, her new teen/young adult novel is a fine example of this talent featuring prose is exceptionally visual and colored.  The story features Olivia, a now teenage- foundling, returning to the ancestral home of her mother’s family only to discover that her family is cursed to remain in the home or… death will escape its bounds and very bad things will happen.  To make the situation more challenging, Death very much wants to escape his bounds and is more than willing to psychologically torture and even kill members of the Prior family to make it happen.  The book is spooky more than scary, but the stakes are genuinely high—life or death.
There are, though, elements to the book that some readers might consider flaws.  It is, for example, comprised of a variety of fantasy/horror tropes  and they aren’t necessarily used in particularly innovative ways.  But tropes became the mainstays of genres because people like them—who doesn’t love a good family curse or a plucky orphan who saves the day. Olivia’s success as both a main character and a heroine, being multifaceted and believable, is one of the book’s strongest points. She is strong and scared, she is angry and kind.  As a reader, I not only expected her to succeed, I wanted her to.
This story is more than the some of its parts and I think it will have a lot of crossover appeal.  In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if it actually attracts rather more adult readers both due to Schwab’s record of success with books like The Invisible Life of Addie Larue and because it does rather read like some popular adult books (perhaps a unusual comparison but the book it most reminded me of was actually Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell).
Another brilliant, dark, and moving book from Victoria Schwab. This is a fantastic crossover read for those who are familiar with her adult books published as V.E. Schwab. This tale of haunted houses, ghouls, and supernatural inheritance is a gothic horror in which the protagonist refuses to be horrified. I loved Olivia as a character and as a protagonist, her personality and her wants were so fully realized. And I was impressed by the handling of mutism and the inclusion of sign language.

This is the first ARC I have ever received and I would like to thank the publisher for the opportunity!
I really need to remember that I only think I like Victoria Schwab.

A book with a great premise, but not a good delivery. Everything you need to know is in the sumary, and to be honest, it definitely didn't catch my attention. At all.
The story was great and I enjoyed the characters. My students are a bit young for this, so I wouldn't recommend it to middle grade students. However, I would recommend this for high school students. While this book was great, I am still in the Addie LaRue frame of mind and this book just didn't hit it for me.
Thank you to Greenwillow Books and NetGalley for the digital ARC to review!

I have been in a reading slump and this book took me out of it-- lush language, captivating storytelling, complex characters. I loved being transported into the world of this book. Highly recommend for those looking to be swept away into a new world with beautifully crafted words.
A quiet, slow burn, and chilling tale with the atmospheric writing Victoria Schwab excels at. If you like heavy plot driven books, this one probably won't be for you, but if you don't mind escapism inside a creepy manor, some ghouls, and a girl struggling to find her place, give it a shot!
I don’t have the words at the moment to describe my love for this book. Just know… Schwab did it again!
Olivia Prior has spent unhappy years in Merilance School for Girls. She has only a rambling diary from her mother, a diary that grows increasingly erratic and incoherent with each passing page.  When she receives an invitation to join the family she never knew, she leaps at the chance, but when she arrives at the family estate, she does not receive the warm welcome that she was expecting.  This is a dark, creepy tale with ghosts around every corner, a decidedly tormented and unwelcoming cousin, and a mysterious Wall that is not what it seems.  Will Olivia take her place as a member of the Prior family, and accept the legacy that goes along with it?  Will she finally find out what happened to her parents? Will she protect her new family from what lies behind the wall before it is too late?  This book is full of atmosphere, and constantly suspenseful.  I would have liked more backstory, but the characters are interesting, and clearly defined from each other. It is a mostly satisfying read with an engaging plot.
Let me start this review by saying I have not read any of Schwab’s YA novels (yet). It’s on the list! I have, however, read and loved a plethora of her adult novels.

Gallant is the kind of book you want to pull out in rainy weather, crawl under a blanket with some tea, and binge in one sitting. You definitely will want to make sure you have the lights on, though! I was surprised at how many moments I felt chilled to the bone. There are quite a few surprises in Gallant, but overall it is a solid supernatural thriller that I will more than likely buy a copy for my personal library, a copy for my classroom library, and a few copies as gifts.

5/5