Cover Image: Gallant

Gallant

V E Schwab is a genius with a pen! I love her works and will continue to devour novels for years to come.
I absolutely adored this book! V.E. Schwab is one of my favorite authors.

Her writing style and world building are just phenomenal.  Her characters are so fleshed out, so courageous, interesting, and poetic.  I just fall in love with all of them.

Gallant is no exception. Schwab compares it to The Secret Garden meets Crimson Peak.  I completely agree.

Olivia lives at an all girls home until a letter arrives telling her it’s time to come home.  The letter is from her uncle who lives at a home called Gallant.

Olivia is a special person who can see ghouls, but also can’t speak. She has a journal left to her by her Mother. In the journal are her Mother’s thoughts as well as beautiful drawings.

When she leaves the all girls home she realizes not everything is what it seems. No one at Gallant knew she was coming.  She befriends Hannah and Edgar who take care of the huge home. Her cousin, Matthew, is not happy she is there and wants her gone.

As Olivia stays she begins to discover Gallant’s secrets.  She ends finding out she needs to changes things at Gallant so everyone can survive.

It was everything I wanted.  I just loved the ending! I can’t wait to buy a hardback copy in March! Thanks to Netgalley for my ecopy.
I loved this book for the dark twisted secret gardenesque vibe. I loved that it was about this girl just trying to find her home and family in this world and what she finds isn't exactly what she hoped but it is still her family. I loved the underlying message that those that came before us set a path and are helping us a long our way despite the fact that they are gone.
Thank you Victoria for another fantastic novel. I can't wait to read this again in physical form.
This book was so good. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to describe it. Maybe Coraline meets Slade House. So good. Schwab is always a delight to read. I enjoyed the mute heroine. She has such strength and is so communicative without being able to freely communicate with the world around her. I was fully immersed in this book and all my weekend chores were lost to this book and the amazing world of Olivia and Gallant.
I read this book in about a day. The prose was gorgeous, the visuals crystal clear, and I loved that the main character was mute and how the writing developed as a cause. I think our protagonist here was brilliantly done and I truly feel like I got a sense of who she was. A book I would desperately like to have in physical copy so I could look at it on my shelf and get that little warm familiar feeling of a fond story.

In all honesty, the other characters felt distinctly on the side. They were present, but as props. I didn’t feel invested in anyone but our protagonist, and I suppose more interested in the antagonist though they were fairly cut and dry. (A thought: Is this middle grade and I’m being too harsh?)

The magic is beautiful, the description of the home and garden well done, and the Door (capital D) was phenomenal. I finished it wanting more story- Who built Gallant? What was the family like who lived there and how did they come to find the garden wall? What was their history, their magic? There’s nothing wrong with leaving the questions unanswered, but it leaves me with the feeling that this book was an amuse bouche if not a full meal.
**I received this complimentary ARC in exchange for an honest review.**

Olivia Prior spends her early life at the Merilance School for Independent Girls, convinced she's been left alone in the world. A journal from her mother is her only key to her past, and it leaves her with a haunting message: "you will be safe as long as you stay away from Gallant." One day a letter arrives from the very place her mother warned her about, and soon her new life begins to unfold.

Gallant is so hauntingly beautiful, and the descriptions are absolutely amazing. Hauntings and ghosts aren't quite what they appear in this novel, and I loved the fresh take of how Olivia experienced the ghouls. There's a symbiosis with the various ghouls that you don't see in most "ghost stories", and this neverending evocative atmosphere that wraps you up in the story and makes you never want to leave.

I've loved every one of Victoria Schwab's books this far, and this is no exception. The illustrations add an extra layer to the book I wasn't expecting, and I can't wait to see what she writes next.
I’m giving this book 5 stars.

This book changed the way I see the world, not by the writing or the characters, but how it gives a voice to the voiceless, how you can be strong even in your loneliness. VE Schwab once again gives you a new world, with new characters, and new people to love. This felt like beautiful poetry when I was reading it, and gave me so many different emotions then I was expecting.

The fast pace, but slow burn was incredible from start to finish, and I felt as if I myself was walking through that garden and through that Iron door.

Beautiful, breathtaking, and wonderful.
QUICK TAKE: I liked it! It's CORALINE meets THE SECRET GARDEN, though I wish there was a bit more character and world-building. As it is now, it felt more like a novella to me and was missing some of the scope of Schwab's previous books. That being said, if you're a fan of the author and genre, there's a lot to like about this one, and I'm a huge fan of any book with a dangerous garden.
Wow. Wow. Wow.
Once again Victoria Schwab's writing and characters have left me speechless. The world building of Gallant and Merilance sucked me right in and I didn't want to put the book down. Everyone of all ages will love this book. Olivia, the main character, has a special place in my heart.

Thank you NetGalley for sending me an arc for an honest review.
I will never love another book the way I do this one. Once again, schwab has yet again left me speechless with her writing and her characters. this book sucked me in so quick and I could not wait to pick it up again every time I set it down. please please please read this book when it comes out because it will not disappoint.
A complex and dazzling story that catches your attention like no other! Olivia is an incredible main character, not only is she realistic, she is funny and achingly relatable as she searches for a place where people are waiting. Grace's journal entries add a layer of terrifying immersion too that makes the grief and sorrow even more heartwrenching. One of my favorite books of the year hands down, am going to pre-order asap!
I received this book for free for an honest review from netgalley #netgalley

Wow that an epic ride! This is a new to me author and it was everything I expected from an author of this caliber.
First off, thank you for allowing me to read this ARC. I love Victoria Schwab so much I would probably even read a manifesto to the chicken sandwich if she wrote it, and I’d still delight in doing so.

I genuinely loved this book. I read it in an approximate 10 hour time frame. I couldn’t put it down. I loved the world building of Gallant - and Gallant parallel. I loved Olivia. I loved the journal aspect and the constant mystery of figuring out exactly what happened to mom and dad. I even loved the crappy orphanage scenes.

I did feel as if Matthew’s death was abrupt and I was really hoping we could bring Thomas back instead, but perhaps there will be a sequel? Perhaps? More ghouls with Olivia? A ghoul army? A girl can dream.

Overall this book did not disappoint for me. I’d love to write a formal review closer to the pub day for my local paper. Though I am sad I finished it and can’t live within the gate of Gallant any longer, I can’t wait until this graces the world.